Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa.jpg

In today’s edition of ‘Sim Discussion Monday’ we talk about all things Assetto Corsa!

Love it or loathe it Assetto Corsa has quickly become one of the most popular racing simulations of the modern sim racing landscape. Bathed in exotic licences the likes of Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini all pitched together on laserscanned tracks, with high quality graphics and physics and a vibrant modding scene, Assetto Corsa from Kunos Simulazioni has very quickly picked up the mantle once held so tightly by Image Space Incorporated and the venerable rFactor platform.

However despite the popularity of the software Assetto Corsa still lacks many of the features considered essential in a modern racing title (think day / night transition, weather and driver swops), leaving many to feel the sim is so close to the top of the mountain, yet just falling short as it scales the summit.

Now in its third year of development, let’s use this article as an opportunity to discuss the game, share tips on optimising the experience on screen and through the wheel, highlight some great content and basically just talk about anything and everything Assetto Corsa!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 3.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 5.jpg

Was my favorite sim until I tried rF2. I've got 750+ hours in assetto corsa, and it's without a doubt the sim that taught me the most about how to drive a car in a virtual setting.
However, after widening my own horizon to other sims, I can't help but be a little sad that Assetto Corsa, while great on some points, is SO lackluster in others.

Cars usually feel pretty good. Assetto Corsa is pretty consistant with it's feel across all of their official content, and 3rd party content seem to follow along pretty well in this regard. One big gripe I have with some other sims (Automobilista and iRacing in particular) is the seemingly lack of 'feeling of grip', from the tyres. This I do not feel is a problem in Assetto Corsa. Grip gain/loss is very progressive and predictable, which is a good thing in my opinion.

- Penalty system is still terrible.
- While not the worst FFB, after driving rF2, I can't go back to this spongy feeling.
- Controllers er not as well integrated as the could be (d-pads only control pit-menu atm.).
- Only way to control onboard car settings is via bound buttons. Would be a nice QoL to have a HUD where you could navigate all the onboard settings like you do in iRacing.
- Weather is not well integrated.
- Artificial pit limiter, instead of an actual limiter (no rules about speeding in pits).
- No day-night transitions.

For me to really pick up Assetto Corsa again atm. I would need the FFB to be more like rF2.

• Deleted member 113561

Mate, I'd say AC has the best FFB around, with the best physics. Maybe you need some more time adjusting the FFB to take the best experience from it. And the sounds in AC are spot on, despite some times you might think the sound in RR is better, just go on youtube and search for the real sound and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Best phyiscs? And that opinion is based on what? Marketinginfos? Stomach feeling?

rFactor 2 has (from the released Sims) the best physics by far atm. Maybe Project CARS 2 will be better (cause Livetrack 3.0). Both are calculating the physics dynamically. Assetto Corsa uses table based physics which is massively inferior (it can produce good results though, Assetto Corsa is a very good example of that).

Best FFB can be debated, last time I tried the FFB with my G27 (default settings) I had oscillation everywhere and really felt (especially over kerbs) the fake FFB. Project CARS & rFactor 2 do generate FFB based on the physics directly which (if done correctly) produces more believable results.

Worst thing about Assetto Corsa:
Devs meltdowns. And at release it was a really bad sim, but some fanboys just attacked you because in their mind there was nothing better. Also don't forget the console release, a disaster and it partially still is. At least they improved the game over time, that is something positive from them and the fact they have resonable prices (I look at you iRacing and R3E).

Assetto Corsa for me is a game I occasionally play, but I always find myself returning to Race 07 or Automobilista. Assetto Corsa just never makes me feel, alive, I guess. It feels so static. Sure the physics are fantastic, but it lacks in areas such as online, which whenever I go into public servers, just turn out to be wrecks. Race 07 and AMS both have fantastic public online with respectful drivers, whereas in my experience, Assetto Corsa does not. From time to time, I do enjoy a bit of Assetto, but it's always in moderation.

Pros:
- Handling model is amazing, you can feel the car, you can tell where is the limit of the grip, you can tell how the track feels.
- Physics
- Mods
- Apps
I think it's the only SIM out there that can get close to what iRacing offers in terms of simulation.
Cons:
- Lack of some online features like replays during races, dedicated pace car, some race management tools like setting up green, yellow, red flags,
- Lack of launched start
- Lack of weather / rain /day/night
- netcode need improvements
- collision system online need improvements (small touch cause HUGE accidents)

Last edited:
Well, as a PS3/4 player and a league/club runner since the death of mt PS3 and ultimately GT6 - coupled with a ramp up in tech with a PS4 Pro and G29, we've become users of Assetto for our online racing sessions and love it.

This isn't without issue, quirky at best the lobby system consists of a few minutes coordination via chat before we're up and running, and if you have a car change decision as lobby owner it's tough. Overall it's been OK. We do compare to GT6, and whilst in no way a sim it's lobby system was robust (in terms of usability if not actual up-time!).

So what of the game for us. No night/rain is absolutely not an issue, we like to race in nice clear weather anyway. And having played Driveclub (arguably some of the best rain effects, or were!) I can say I prefer to race in the dry any day of the week.

But the racing. The racing is excellent. We ended up racing several races in AE86's and Black Cat Country (Short) and this made for great close amateur racing, which we are!
We do suffer a bit with classes - not knowing which cars match what means a lot of one make racing, or indeed mid first lap discovery as a few racers drop off the back...

Has it got longevity for us? Everyone I know is getting GT Sport, despite regular postings around it's limitations. But for now we'll enjoy Assetto, it's great car selection and reasonable tracks and I'll hope that we don't sell out to the next shiny sim!

[QUOTE="AndyC709292, post: 2552033, member: 339]

We do suffer a bit with classes - not knowing which cars match what means a lot of one make racing, or indeed mid first lap discovery as a few racers drop off the back...
![/QUOTE]
that's not just your problem, sadly many cars in the game don't have balanced competitor cars, gt3 is probably the only exception

Why do you want to do it though, considering these cars don't have stick shift IRL?
What I feel unsatisfied with AC in this regard is just one car. IIRC you should be able to use either the gear shifter or the paddles in the Pagani Huayra, but in AC it is paddle shift only.

Well you can use paddle shift in all cars regardless of whether the car has it or not, i like a stick shift and would like the option to use it in all cars. :) by the way Im not complaining at guys who use paddles in a car that does not have them, drive how you like to drive it..:) i know i am a little bit quicker with paddles, i just don't like them. even if i miss the odd shift here and there with a stick..:roflmao::roflmao:

and being able to put a car in to gear 2 seconds before the race starts is not really being in control. it all feels a bit rushed,, a second or so before the red start light appear would be ok.. :whistling::whistling:

So many people mentioning the lack of dynamic weather system and rain...

In rF2 I bet most of you guys never or very rarely race in the rain (just like myself).

Speaking of AC content, they have way too many cars and very little number of tracks. It makes me wonder if car licences are really so much cheaper than laser scanning a track or official licensed cars sell the game better.

Like most other sims on the market, the things they've done well....they've done really well.
There seems to be an extra emphasis on the things 'Italian' in the game.
If you look at any of the Ferrari cars, Mugello, Monza or Imola. They're superb.

So many people mentioning the lack of dynamic weather system and rain...

In rF2 I bet most of you guys never or very rarely race in the rain (just like myself).

Dont play RF2 as much as AC even though I've had it for along time ...and wouldn't have played if there was no VR... But ive never seen night or wet race online ...does it only work offline?
I've come to learn that certain features are not everything...eg Graphics, ffb, night and rain...it's a combination of things and no sim has all combinations. i will say as a title RF2 is no where close to AC at the moment , Good ffb alone is not enough for a great title. UI, online system, graphics, VR, mods online, closed online system are issues i have with RF2

With AC more complete its still has a long way to go .....i prefer online racing and two thing i'd like to see is some kind of record of achievement/points after a race , fastest lap, etc. And the ability to join steam friends into a race. i have to go through various servers to find my friends names to join them is very long.

I left iracing to start with AC and seen the progress from a single car (tech demo) to over 160 cars (too many cars though) and enjoying AC very much still but if Pcars 2 gets its ffb right with all of its other plans i belive a lot of sim racers will fight the feeling but will jump aboard. I'll be deleting Pcars 1 from my drive today ..dead space. If RF2 new UI doesnt cut it, gonna delete that too.. Tired of a nice half baked cake

I have all the "other" sims too but rarely boot them up so it's mostly RBR and Assetto Corsa to get my daily sim fix.

Looking forward to that juicy Ferrari pack coming soon ;).

Thanks Kunos for for fulfilling my sim dreams !

PS
Crew Chief is the topping on the cake :) :)
DS

Well you can use paddle shift in all cars regardless of whether the car has it or not
That's not exactly true. To use paddle shift in all cars you need to tell the game in the settings that you don't have an H shifter. If you set the game that you have an H shifter and will use it, then you can't use paddle shift in H shifter cars. Therefore the game design that allows using paddle shift for H shifter car is to help people who don't have an H shifter hardware.

Interestingly only allowing H shifter for H shifter cars and only allowing paddle shift in paddle shift cars is one thing that I prefer AC over other sims. I want to drive the car the way it should be driven in real life. With Content Manager I can also automatically switch to a dogleg shifter pattern when I drive certain cars.

Unfortunately, when it comes to audio, lots of people either don´t seem to mind or don´t hear the quality, so I guess that fell way down on the priority ladder.

For me this is definitely the case, which is a great shame because I almost feel a little disrespectful towards the talented SFX modders. I know they are working incredibly hard and I really appreciate it, but I simply struggle to hear the difference. AC to me already sounds great, but I'm well aware my ears are easily pleased. As long as it doesn't sound like GT, I'm usually pretty content.

Oh NO here comes Fordie, AC No1 Fanboy.....well that's what you all think, but....

I generally like AC tbh. Personally I think the FFB is fantastic, the handling of most of the cars is great, and from a modder's point of view, TOP TOP MARKS for help and assistance from @kunos (Stef and Aris), you don't get many Devs really help if you ask them a question, but there is loads of work that is required to really make it their punch line "Your Racing Simulator".

Fully working Damage Model
Simulated track groove, with functioning Marbles
Proper flag systems that work
Proper penalties for track limits, 1 = warning, 2 = drive through, non of this slow down, which actually causes more accidents.
Formation / Warm up lap (can be set via the server)
Ability to swap front tyres to rear, and visa versa in a pitstop
Ability to put duck tape over your air vent if you are not getting enough heat in your engine.
Ability to have DSG / and or Seq with Drop gears
Ability to press one key and save the whole replay

Some good points, especially with Stefano and Aris going out of their way to help modders (So many PM convos with me asking the most stupid questions... they are always incredibly accommodating, so cheers @kunos and @Aristotelis!)

Most of your bullet points get a thumbs up for me (minus the engine thermal management via duct tape...), but I particularly like the idea of more advanced tyre management.

The ability to change individuation tyres around, or to store tyres for use later. Basically long-term tyre memory within the game, rather than them automatically becoming brand new when you go to the pits. I'd like to be able to pit, make some setup changes and head out on the same tyres!

And to go even further, what if you were league racing, you could get a set amount of tyres per session or weekend, or even per season! Lotus 49, go a whole season on one set? Could be fun/interesting, but really just the simple ability to pit and keep the tyres I'm on would be a fantastic start.

-----

Otherwise, yeah. I really enjoy AC, its pretty much the only gaming software I use these days and has been for about 2 years now. No other game has ever done that to me.

It got me into sim in the first place, and even more importantly it got me into modding, which has become a massive part of my life, and one I hope to make even more so in the future.

So cheers, Kunos - you're not perfect, but for me personally, you've really made an impact :thumbsup:

Many times I have tried to like assetto corsa but every time I put it away after a few minutes, cars look great but tracks look terrible, are washed out are dull and have no atmosphere.the Racing seems very sterile and there are lots of little things that feel unfinished. I dont think it is a SIM that i will ever be able to get into unfortunately.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back