PC1 Seriously..how did some of these issues get thru?

Msportdan

@Simberia
im confused here...

This game has been in the making for what now .. 3 years. Its had a vast community beta testing this and im sure some of these guys if not most were sim fans.

This begs me the question of how the hell did some of the issues we have now. not get spotted by anyone? It took me a few days to see these below.

-Ai in the wet, being a)not affected b)dont pit for wets.
-The Ai on some tracks just simply run off the end of corners with hardly any speed loss. (summerton tight right handers/zolder 1st corner at start. about half a dozen cars go off on first lap.
-The AI are way too overagressive. In one way is good but in another its frustrating to play. especially they dive bomb every corner
-Car setups not saving.
-Wheel is annoying in the menus when you forget to centre it after a run.

-and lets not forget the mass confusion, which is the FFB settings. Really.. could of they not made this simpler. Rf2 has one car specific setting?!

plus loads more..

This is agreat game/sim, but ive postponed my career as somethings above are game breakers .
i mean did SMS have their own agenda in the end, or did they just rush this out and these issues were known. But seriously some of these issues should simply, never of got to gold!

I mean i know rf2 is in beta, but pcars is in no better state imo.

Last edited:
Pcars isn't exactly grippy. Is not hard to not slip momentarily but then that slip doesn't go too far and you immediately find a wall of grip. Is somehow slippery in some moments of steering at low-medium speed.

Yeah maybe, but then put that into practice in a club race here with pitstops, rain, dry, rain and darkness and other cars. ;)

also I want to add, some cars are better than others.. I personally think the fgulf and the McLaren f1 are good examples. Some im sure aren't. But ive only driven a few. My career is pending the AIwet patch.

Cant play the game now. Crashed middle of race. Now it won't even start. I'm trying so very hard to like/enjoy this game, however, now there is this...
:(

Attachments

• pcars crash.PNG
    pcars crash.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 267
I am a little surprised that so many bugs are still in pCARS at release. I think the majority of these are with the multiplayer portion of the game. I didn't really touch the multiplayer until its release (thinking it would be fully polished and working etc) however on my first few times of playing I encountered quite a few bugs;

- Unable to join lobby
- Once in a game session, "Drive" is greyed out
- Cars at race start piled on top of one another
- Random penalties - Race session started and had a penalty before I even moved off.
- Upon taking a penalty in the pits when I came out I was hit with a 400 second throttle cut (as was about half the server)
- Game crashing between sessions

I have to confess I was originally really enthusiastic about the project when it was in its infancy, however I lost confidence in the project somewhat after I disagreed with the direction they were heading in. I actually think that some of the cars drove better in the earlier builds.

It is a fun title and when it works I do have a laugh playing it, however for me, the end product isn't what I thought it would be when I got involved with the project.

Glad to know that I'm not able to keep up with AI in the rain because I drive badly...

I have quite a few complaints about GUI and HUD on triple screen. It feels that they never thought people would play this game with 3 monitors.

I agree the game is fun and despite I have AC GSC and R3E to play with, PCars has been the only game I've been playing at night recently because I love the day/night graphics and I like the tracks in the game. It is really annoying to have so many easily noticeable issues!

Glad to know that I'm not able to keep up with AI in the rain because I drive badly...

I have quite a few complaints about GUI and HUD on triple screen. It feels that they never thought people would play this game with 3 monitors.

I agree the game is fun and despite I have AC GSC and R3E to play with, PCars has been the only game I've been playing at night recently because I love the day/night graphics and I like the tracks in the game. It is really annoying to have so many easily noticeable issues!

Your post personifies most peoples' complaints. Some complain and bash just because.....
A small few may or may not have a feud with the developer.
But I think most are upset because they are frustrated. Frustrated because the game is/was so very close to being one of those defining moments in gaming history.

That game you can't put down, and it owns your hard drive and monitor; perhaps even your life? However, the multitude of bugs and shortsighted decisions; and there are a multitude of bugs, whether one chooses to believe or accept that fact is not my argument. I've even been told to shove my post/thoughts up my XXXXXXXXXXX!?

The game still gets booted up more than other racing sims residing on the same hard drive. Folks have said as much. This in my opinion is props to a company that had a vision, perhaps too big, but nothing wrong with aiming high; a vision that wasn't quite realized. We will play the game, bugs and all, because it is an amazing achievement.

Still, there is that frustration.

Swagg

I am sorry to see so many people frustrated with several different aspects of this title. My main frustration with it right now is the replay/spectator mode that has some bugs. As far as some of the MP issues go, well, the problems from day one aren't anywhere near as bad as they used to be. At least not for me. On occasion I see some funky things happening with a car here and there but I've seen that in other sims too. Racers lagging out or glitching all over the place is not unusual. I see it in iRacing, GSCE, R3E. That could come down to something as simple as the player having a bad internet connection or conflicting with other players in the lobby.

I'm not saying there are NO problems but I rather see the cup half full and I believe that SMS is working to address the problems.

My biggest gripes:
No MP driver swaps
Poor replay with limited camera views and no ability to switch between cars
Poor documentation of how different functions work
No explanation of what certain menu items do

but, with some trial and error and the help of the community here and at the WMD forums I was able to set myself up rather quickly.

Shout out to @bmanic for his hard work and FFB settings/explainations.
Also to Kurupt, Lazarou and several others. I prefer to stay positive. TBH, this title is phenomenal as it is and can only get better so lets race the crap out of it and share tips and info with each other. As far as I'm concerned, I prefer MP racing over any AI on any day.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned PCARS 2 a few pages ago... The reality is PCARS 1 already has the foundations for most every feature we want in a racing game, sadly none work exactly as "advertised" or they don't all play nice together but if fixed PCARS could be the definitive racer...

What could PCARS 2 really offer beyond tracks and cars that the first version doesn't if the majority of bugs are addressed? If they need more cash for updates then there is the classic rob Peter to pay Paul dev model, but it would really suck if preliminary designs for 2 become a limiting factor for 1...

Regardless of any of this though, there are some incredibly obvious bugs undermining some fundamental mechanics and it's been waaaay to long for the PC players to wait.

What could PCARS 2 really offer beyond tracks and cars that the first version doesn't if the majority of bugs are addressed?

There were actually a lot of ideas and tech scrapped. For instance, once the lowest common denominator for hardware is increased, they want to increase the fidelity of the tire model. Currently, it was dialed back to work on all the platforms as it was originally crushing current processors. They would like to enhance the way rain works as well as add more affects such as wind (if you have ever driven on a real track, high wind conditions can cost as much as 2 seconds a lap on a typical 2-2.3 mile course).

I don't have a list of features which hit the cutting room floor, but there are enough ideas to make pCARS 2 a much different and/or enhanced product. Basically, anything that would require a substantial rework of the current platform would be pushed to pCARS 2. Anything that doesn't require that type of rework, they will add into pCARS 1 as there are still many features like pitsops coming for pCARS 1.

However, it is going to be many years away for pCARS 2 so no real bother talking about it at this point. Everyone at SMS who was involved with pCARS is 100% on pCARS. I say those who were involved with pCARS as SMS does more than pCARS (they do mobile games and other things as well).

There were actually a lot of ideas and tech scrapped. For instance, once the lowest common denominator for hardware is increased, they want to increase the fidelity of the tire model. Currently, it was dialed back to work on all the platforms as it was originally crushing current processors. They would like to enhance the way rain works as well as add more affects such as wind (if you have ever driven on a real track, high wind conditions can cost as much as 2 seconds a lap on a typical 2-2.3 mile course).

I don't have a list of features which hit the cutting room floor, but there are enough ideas to make pCARS 2 a much different and/or enhanced product. Basically, anything that would require a substantial rework of the current platform would be pushed to pCARS 2. Anything that doesn't require that type of rework, they will add into pCARS 1 as there are still many features like pitsops coming for pCARS 1.

However, it is going to be many years away for pCARS 2 so no real bother talking about it at this point. Everyone at SMS who was involved with pCARS is 100% on pCARS. I say those who were involved with pCARS as SMS does more than pCARS (they do mobile games and other things as well).

Sounds like the features you mentioned are an evolutionary upgrade than version change but it's cool to know things went much further than what we have now. PCARS does a very convincing job in its current state and being convincing is more important than additional calculations that might not translate to the end user. Tire models are definitely what's going to define the next racers though.

Wind is a pretty minor thing on track, yes if it's there you can feel it, but on a smaller track, sub 2.5miles, there really isn't that much effect. I do race in real life (SCCA), once at Laguna Seca we had a lot of wind, trash going from the grandstand and umbrellas almost going over the fences but on track is wasn't as much an issue. Lap times were negligible. Willow springs is a different story, you feel it a lot more but not like at Spa or LeSarth I would imagine. Point is, not a game changer, just another visceral sensation that will be hard to adapt to a game...

PCARS 1/2 really needs a game economy (doesn't have to be money). Something for players to earn and motivates them to keep striving to get better, both single player and multiplayer. I get the stigma of money in a game with 1200 cars, but not so much when there are fewer. Race team management, crews, sponsor management, earning a second team car, endurance team pro/am management. Something to add depth to the gameplay would be ideal. Even iracings driver rating is a bit addictive. Built in leagues with stat tracking would also be cool... Games are about achieving and earning stuff, or being penalized for sucking. In fact games are the last medium where harsh penalties are still acceptable and part of learning...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.