PC1 Seriously..how did some of these issues get thru?

Msportdan

@Simberia
im confused here...

This game has been in the making for what now .. 3 years. Its had a vast community beta testing this and im sure some of these guys if not most were sim fans.

This begs me the question of how the hell did some of the issues we have now. not get spotted by anyone? It took me a few days to see these below.

-Ai in the wet, being a)not affected b)dont pit for wets.
-The Ai on some tracks just simply run off the end of corners with hardly any speed loss. (summerton tight right handers/zolder 1st corner at start. about half a dozen cars go off on first lap.
-The AI are way too overagressive. In one way is good but in another its frustrating to play. especially they dive bomb every corner
-Car setups not saving.
-Wheel is annoying in the menus when you forget to centre it after a run.

-and lets not forget the mass confusion, which is the FFB settings. Really.. could of they not made this simpler. Rf2 has one car specific setting?!

plus loads more..

This is agreat game/sim, but ive postponed my career as somethings above are game breakers .
i mean did SMS have their own agenda in the end, or did they just rush this out and these issues were known. But seriously some of these issues should simply, never of got to gold!

I mean i know rf2 is in beta, but pcars is in no better state imo.

Last edited:
Well your not wrong about any of them issues Dan, for some reason though I am still enjoying it.

It is very disappointing and worrying that other than a minor MP patch nothing else has been forthcoming in terms of fixing things. GTA V had 3 patches out in the same time frame.

yeah dont get me wrong its is enjoyable, very in fact.. But i feel i cant play the game in wet conditions as its fundamentally broken. Which then makes any wet race in career FUBAR. So yu can only really quick race in the dry atm. Then you have the stupid AI to tend with.

But didnt we have this Ai issue with AC, then they dumbed them down to basically mobile chicanes. Suppose i want SMS to keep the aggressive AI but tone down on the divebombng and re-entry and side vision.

I had also taken days to find my ffb settings, thanks to bmanic and lolasd. But this game is far from playable out of the box.

I've noticed some other niggling things too. Not major game-breakers, but constant annoyances that give an un-finished feeling.

- I constantly have to move my HUD location (which is a pain in and of itself because it always wants to snap to the center of the screen). Why can't it stay where I put it? Every time I take a car out on track I have to move the HUD, even if I had already moved it in that car before.

- Inconsistent menu screens. Sometimes the "back" arrow is on the center screen, sometimes it's on the left screen, so I'm always moving the mouse all over the place. I have three 32" screens, so that's a lot of mouse moving.

- On some of the FFB settings there is the slider but also little < > arrows, yet when I click on those arrows nothing happens. I guess they're only for show?

- Also on some of the FFB sliders the movement is very erratic and makes huge jumps, so trying to adjust something from, say, 75.01 to 75.08 can take several minutes because it jumps to 76.06, then down to 74.02, then back up to 77.04. I have to make very, very, very tiny movements with the mouse if I hope to land on the desired setting.

- When you go to adjust the FFB settings for each car from the on-track menu, you can't scroll down with the mouse. The "arm angle" is all the way at the bottom and for a while some of us thought it wasn't accessible from the on-track menu. Turns out it is accessible, but you have to use the arrow keys or the d-pad to get to it, scrolling with the mouse won't get you there.

.....just to name a few. Like I said, none are game-breakers but I encounter each of these issues every time I take a new car on track and it gets to be annoying.

im confused here...

This game has been in the making for what now .. 3 years. Its had a vast community beta testing this and im sure some of these guys if not most were sim fans.

This begs me the question of how the hell did some of the issues we have now. not get spotted by anyone? It took me a few days to see these below.

-Ai in the wet, being a)not affected b)dont pit for wets.
-The Ai on some tracks just simply run off the end of corners with hardly any speed loss. (summerton tight right handers/zolder 1st corner at start. about half a dozen cars go off on first lap.
-The AI are way too overagressive. In one way is good but in another its frustrating to play. especially they dive bomb every corner
-Car setups not saving.
-Wheel is annoying in the menus when you forget to centre it after a run.

-and lets not forget the mass confusion, which is the FFB settings. Really.. could of they not made this simpler. Rf2 has one car specific setting?!

plus loads more..

This is agreat game/sim, but ive postponed my career as somethings above are game breakers .
i mean did SMS have their own agenda in the end, or did they just rush this out and these issues were known. But seriously some of these issues should simply, never of got to gold!

I mean i know rf2 is in beta, but pcars is in no better state imo.
rFactor 2 hasn't been in beta since 2013.

Let's hope they start fixing the bugs soon, it is taking the joy out of the otherwise great career.

Like I said, none are game-breakers
Unfortunately, my issue IS a game-breaker. Project Cars thinks my Thrustmaster 458 wheel (non-ffb version) is an Xbox controller. It's not supported in the controller presets and when I choose "Custom Wheel" and try to assign each axis, I get stuff like "Left thumbstick" instead of x or y axis. The result is a steering deadzone so huge that the game is literally undriveable (despite all deadzones set to "0"), all while the game thinks I'm using a gamepad instead of a wheel.

To say it is frustrating is a massive understatement. I waited for this thing for so very long, built a new computer specifically to run it, and now that it's here I can't even enjoy it. (Note; my wheel works perfectly in all other sims/games.)

It is very disappointing and worrying that other than a minor MP patch nothing else has been forthcoming in terms of fixing things. GTA V had 3 patches out in the same time frame.

R* Games has 900+ employees, I'll bet SMS has 50 or less (my guess). GTA V game had a budget of $265 million and raked in $2 billion as May 2014 (Forbes). Plus development of GTA V began in 2009. That's a pretty unfair comparison. In fact, the point that GTA V needed 3 patches at all is a black mark on its reputation...

R* Games has 900+ employees, I'll bet SMS has 50 or less (my guess). GTA V game had a budget of $265 million and raked in $2 billion as May 2014 (Forbes). Plus development of GTA V began in 2009. That's a pretty unfair comparison. In fact, the point that GTA V needed 3 patches at all is a black mark on its reputation...
You are correct on the resources front, I agree it was probably a unfair comparison. But I don't know of too many PC games large budget or small that have not had some sort of patch to address issues in the amount time that PCars has been out. Perhaps they think it is perfect.

Be interesting when one does appear how many bugs and issues it fixes.

Like all things on Sony and Microsoft platforms it takes time to get certified.

PC patches likely quicker.

Every indication on WMD forum is that there working on fixing bugs, small and big.

I also don't get it how so many things went through.
Seems like thousands of betatesters didn't provide any useful feedback or SMS simply ignored it all and needed the money so they just released it.

I'm positive that SMS can and will manage to get things straight 6 months down the line, but for a release version with a years long beta testing phase i simply can't understand how this could have happened.

Seems like thousands of betatesters didn't provide any useful feedback or SMS simply ignored it all and needed the money so they just released it.

Just to be clear... While there were around 80k individuals who contributed some monetarial amount for pCARS 4 years ago. However, probably only around 100 or less were actually active doing anything. Even that number dwindled as the years past. A majority of that 80k assumed it was some kickstarter project where you contribute 10 Euro and get a free game in 2-3 years. You can see this by all of the posts around the web of "I was a backer and now I have to pay for it?".

I'm sure SMS has a short list themselves of the helpful WMD members and it's a far subset of the original 80k.

Just to be clear... While there were around 80k individuals who contributed some monetarial amount for pCARS 4 years ago. However, probably only around 100 or less were actually active doing anything. Even that number dwindled as the years past. A majority of that 80k assumed it was some kickstarter project where you contribute 10 Euro and get a free game in 2-3 years. You can see this by all of the posts around the web of "I was a backer and now I have to pay for it?".

I'm sure SMS has a short list themselves of the helpful WMD members and it's a far subset of the original 80k.
Beta testers come free of charge. I'll say this; for the small overhead, and the even smaller staff, which includes programmers, artists, audio and video techs, designers, etc, the game has done quite well, and is quite good. I think that simple fact is lost on some of the end-users. The game will take time to fix, but please prioritize the work. I refuse to bash SMS/WMD for the games' flaws. However, as was stated, six months from now I may be a bit more vocal.;)

Beta testers come free of charge. I'll say this; for the small overhead, and the even smaller staff, which includes programmers, artists, audio and video techs, designers, etc, the game has done quite well, and is quite good. I think that simple fact is lost on some of the end-users. The game will take time to fix, but please prioritize the work. I refuse to bash SMS/WMD for the games' flaws. However, as was stated, six months from now I may be a bit more vocal.;)
I'm a little concerned that Pcars 2 is already being mentioned in some circles. Can we have Pcars 1 first with support and dlc for a few years then think about Pcars 2.

I pointed out many issues with the games ui, AI, car setup, career design, FFB but kept getting told it would all be sorted and to have faith. Unfortunately many issues remain and simple improvements were not made, currently the AI is broken and unbalanced vs the player car and makes the career pointless, there's just too much inconsistentcy across the game for me to enjoy it and setting up the ffb is a ball ache!

The main beta testers never sometimes come free of costs ;-).

Last edited:
yep just did the fgulf at spain. (not career just solo) quailed 5th was happy. Off start got a good run jumped to 2nd. On the second lap slipstreamed 1st place down to the first corner got inside, had a nose in front!! I had won the corner and the racing line........

the ai just turned in as if i wasn't there, we both ended up in the wall..

yep just did the fgulf at spain. (not career just solo) quailed 5th was happy. Off start got a good run jumped to 2nd. On the second lap slipstreamed 1st place down to the first corner got inside, had a nose in front!! I had won the corner and the racing line........

the ai just turned in as if i wasn't there, we both ended up in the wall..
That is in every sim save for rF2. I hear the AI is pretty good. AC and R3E have terrible AI at times, so does PC. R3E is working on AI at present. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.9%