Season 9: The Race Review Beta Project

Jonas Lex said:

Kennett Ylitalo said:

Have never used this, my forte lies with Adobe Premiere (PC) and Final Cut Pro (Mac).

But for this project I am returning to an amazing piece of software called Blender (www.blender.org), it is free and extremely powerful.
It is a complete production suite and has an inbuilt video and sound editor.

The main reason for using it is a vision I have in my head to switch between 3D-models and ingame shots for my tryout project to make a Presto GP trailer.

The really good thing is also the complete and extremely quick interface that lets you handle text and transitions in a matter of seconds - also quickly add effects and animations like no other software I have worked with.

Do not worry though, he output is the same either way what software is used.
The inbuilt sequence editor will also make it a piece of cake to insert new footage from the races as they progress.

Have not used it since version 2.0 - but since I know the basics it has only taken me two days to get updated.

Logo and cars already loaded into scenes - look forward to it.
Now I will delve into the capture of races.

Isn't Blender aimed at 3d design/animation not video/audio edit? Vegas is far from perfect, it has really really stupid limitations and quirks (actually hate it, premiere is much much better, Final Cut is excellent too, have used it only few times in school..) but i would expect it still to beat Blender.. I mean, i've used DAWs to edit video and vice versa but dedicated editor is always better...

I selected Vegas simply because of convenience, it's relatively simple to use and hasn't got huge loads of unnecessary stuff in it.. I model with SU for the same reason, 3DS max is just too complicated for simple stuff, but it's excellent to manipulate and compose. Everybody can of course use what every they want, there is some advantages of using the same software.. And with the niceness of the videosoftware industry, no two programs have compatibility on project formats so all data has to be rendered stuff or raw tracks..

Isn't Blender aimed at 3d design/animation not video/audio edit? ... but i would expect it still to beat Blender.. I mean, i've used DAWs to edit video and vice versa but dedicated editor is always better...

Blender has it all, you can make an entire video without even opening another piece of software. And it has near real-time rendering of transitions, effects and audio - without consuming resources like the "heavy-hitters".
And for this project I believe it will serve its purpose very well.

Open source and the ability to use Python to program any parameters makes this my first choice above other software
The output that will be used for audio editing will be no different than if any other program was used.

I will send you some files in a week or so to add audio-effects - that way we can test everything.

PS: To learn the video editor in blender for someone that has done editing before, would take about an hour or two. Maybe even less.

Hmm, sounds enticing... I need to move to the next level in 3D design softwares and i just hate 3DS Max. Can't get rid of it completely, ISI has a deal with autodesk so no plugins for any other software, rF2 is the next simulator for modders since SimBin has finally decided on a Play4Free business model = no mods... But fortunately there are million combinations in the 3D model format realm, that is not a problem.

This is going off topic, let's keep this as footnote.. But how is Blender as a modelling tool? I'm looking for intuitivity and ease-of-use more than myriad of options. SU has all beaten in that so far but there's only so much you can do with it, the interface is simply brilliant.. My 65y dad learnt it in a week and has since designed a public building with 300 people capacity, furniture and all, that's how a design program interface should work. It's not pretty, colors are no cool but it god damned works.

This is going off topic, let's keep this as footnote.. But how is Blender as a modelling tool? I'm looking for intuitivity and ease-of-use more than myriad of options. SU has all beaten in that so far but there's only so much you can do with it, the interface is simply brilliant..

Sending you a pm :)

My 65y dad learnt it in a week and has since designed a public building with 300 people capacity, furniture and all, that's how a design program interface should work. It's not pretty, colors are no cool but it god damned works.

Wow, that is amazing - none of my parents at the same age would be able to do that.
Still trying to teach them the very nature of computers and what a browser is..lol

Wow! Amazing stuff going on here. Can't wait to see anything as an appetizer. :p Good to have you here. ;) :thumbsup:

All I'm able to do with my PC and my poor skills, is record few minutes with fraps (half screen size, ~ 50 fps), then doing few things with movie maker and finally letting movie maker render the vid.

I think you two and Jonas are on another level. Don't think I can help you more than supporting you with good racing action. :) Of course only the good things like quick laps and passes. I don't want to pop up in the category "best crash of the race". :p

I cant wait for first results as well, even if they are minor, thats good enough for a start.
I also hope that creators in here dont mind if I upload videos to the PrestoGP Youtube Channel if they are of decent quality :)

Also, Reiks post reminded me of a little trick Im using and since this is probably the right place for any kind of advice for creating movies Im thinking why not post it here :)
Its for people who have a crappy PC like me and still want to make HD videos with 25 frames per second.
What Im doing, also with fraps, is to record all clips in slowmotion (0 button on the numpad while watching a replay ingame) and speed them up (x3) afterwards in Sony Vegas.
All 3 videos which have been uploaded to the PrestoGP Youtube Channel have originally been recorded at about 9 frames per second which is a really low value :)
Its important not to forget though to speed up (time/3) and pitch up (in Vegas the value is 12) the sound as well.

Don't think I can help you more than supporting you with good racing action. :) Of course only the good things like quick laps and passes. I don't want to pop up in the category "best crash of the race". :p

Don't worry, the first season will be filled with "Henrik crashes yet again" segments - I will reign supreme there. :)

I also hope that creators in here dont mind if I upload videos to the PrestoGP Youtube Channel if they are of decent quality :)

Absolutely, I was thinking that the channel should be the way to post the videos to the public.

And as for the quality - we have to wait and see ;)

What Im doing, also with fraps, is to record all clips in slowmotion (0 button on the numpad while watching a replay ingame) and speed them up (x3) afterwards in Sony Vegas..

That was really smart, I found that as I have upgraded computers I tend to forget to be economical with the resources.
From seeing the videos I would have had no idea that the resource material was shot at such a low framerate.

I will probably plaguarize some of your shots from the season 9 teaser - just a heads up ;) (blame yourself for being creative..lol)

This is interesting,if you guys need my help i can work with 3DSMax,Sony Vegas and i also make Demo sounds in FLStudio.

Great with more expertise - as we progress I will give you a shout.

I know i am off topic but listen to this Demo: http://soundcloud.com/dinca_andrei/sense-of-speed-demo

Not at all off topic - I was just about to post a request for some music to do some tests.
To be honest I think I might use this for the short teaser. (If you are ok with that)
No guarantees though.
I am amazed, great work!

This fits so well with the storyboard I set up yesterday - kismet :)
To make it fit even better I have a few requests as to the timing of certain parts
(a tad longer before this happens etc..)

Will send you a PM Saturday.

Great with more expertise - as we progress I will give you a shout.

Not at all off topic - I was just about to post a request for some music to do some tests.
To be honest I think I might use this for the short teaser. (If you are ok with that)
No guarantees though.
I am amazed, great work!

This fits so well with the storyboard I set up yesterday - kismet :)
To make it fit even better I have a few requests as to the timing of certain parts
(a tad longer before this happens etc..)

Will send you a PM Saturday.

Its ok,you can use it but this is only the Demo and i have a full soundtrack of 8 Min long if you want, you can cut it and fit or you can tell me how long you want it to be and i will make it.
I wait for PM

You can send me the song for mastering, that's my expertise and i got the tools for it. If you choose to use my services, i'll PM you for some tips how to prepare pre-master mix... Mainly it's about leaving your main compressor and EQ a lot more neutral, it's easier to add bass than it is to remove it and it's easier to remove highs than to add them. And if dynamics are already crushed, there is nothing to salvage during mastering (mastering should never be the a solution to any problem...) And use 24bit/48khz as a mixdown format so dithering doesn't start to rise it's ugly head...

You can send me the song for mastering, that's my expertise and i got the tools for it.

Seems like we can get a good team going here.

I am in need of some "radio communication" bits that has been run through a filter to make it sound like it does in real life. And do something to the voice, if needed.
To lessen the workload some bits from real races could be used, but the sound would then needed to be cleared up a bit. Something any of you could do?

1. "My tires are falling off"
2. "I have no grip, no grip at all"
3. "I have massive understeer in turn 4"
4. "Copy that - We will look into it"
5. "Box this lap"

I'll try to arrange something, i hope it doesn't matter if the voice is ozzie? I have a mate that has a radio show so he could record the lines.. I can edit them. Keep the ideas coming.. Funny enough, i haven't got any decent mics, it's all in one big flightcase rotting in a warehouse 400km from here....along with digital mixer, 2 DMX consoles, par cans, amps... So i have limited recording capabilities and as i'm unemployed, no money to buy anything.. I might get my dad convinced that he really needs a better mic (he really does..)...

EDIT: Is it ok to call Australians ozzies? I find it endearing, really sweet nickname but i have no clue about the origins so i might accidentally offend... Finns like to be called Finns, we really have no other nickname, apart from the flying monicker, of course... that's the other finn in the league.....

I'll try to arrange something, i hope it doesn't matter if the voice is ozzie? I have a mate that has a radio show so he could record the lines.. I can edit them.

Would be great if you can get that done, even better than I thought of.
Spent 3 yrs in Adelaide - have a soft spot for the Aussie culture and voices :)

Is it ok to call Australians ozzies? I find it endearing, really sweet nickname..

Since I spent time there I quickly learned the term Kiwi for Zealanders - thought it was an accepted term for them. But once I got into a Simraceway race and called a man from NZ a Kiwi, and he got extremely upset with me and ended up logging out of the game in rage.
They are still Kiwi's to me though ;)

I am in need of some "radio communication" bits that has been run through a filter to make it sound like it does in real life.

This download is a package of alternative pit chief radio for GTR2. It includes many, many wav files for any different situation in GTR2 which causes a radio message or if you requested some info about position or damage. It sounds like real pit radio. Man I loved that sounds as they greatly improved the athmosphere in GTR2. I'd really like to have that calls in GTR evo.

Maybe you better ask the author for permission if you use that files?

Ok, Lee Knight agreed to do the lines and he has english accented mate at work so we get more variance. All he needs is the script so let's get it ready:

1. "My tires are falling off"
2. "I have no grip, no grip at all"
3. "I have massive understeer in turn 4"
4. "Copy that - We will look into it"
5. "Box this lap"
6. "Box Box Box"
7. "Go to the Mode 2 green"
8. "Stop the car. Stop stop stop"

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No