Season 13 - General Discussion

Agree with Nico, looks like a very good pc in the making :thumbsup:

One thing, the SSD, do you really need it? 240gb these days isnt alot at all, I understand that their the dogs balls for speed, but capacity with new and upcoming sims (rf2 :)) storage space is a must.

The speed diffrence is quite a lot Vale theres no denying that and if your getting the SSD at a good price then its a no brainer, what you could do is use the SSD as a boot drive and get another slave drive for your games.

Regards the ram, I think 16gb at a good price is what you want, Games these days use upto around 8gb but games tomorrow might use a lot more, 16gb would future proof your pc for a while.

Hi, I'd like to join the league. How do I sign up? :)

Hi Sam,

Welcome to PrestoGP :)

You'd start by reading our New Member Guidelines here....

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/prestogp-explained-new-member-guidelines.16320/

then register at the PrestoGP site below to have your laptimes logged and name added to the league......

http://prestogp.com

Then you'd have a look at the Calender Thread to make sure your available for dates and times....

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/season-13-calendar.81693/

and anything you'd like to ask about then dont hesitate to ask :thumbsup:

Have you done alot of practise with Race07 or the F3000?

We miss you too Dino, I'd love to be able to give you a date we'll move but the convo always dries up quickly, I'm ready for the move, I know others are too but until the majority are ready then we stay with Race07, We still have a lot of fun with it but i completely understand why youve moved on.

I had hoped to be racing against you in VWSR but its just not Presto and I couldnt see myself enjoying the racing so had to call it quits, I long for the day Presto moves, we wont be short of sign ups and we'll get a couple of familiar faces back and the realism will increase x 10.

Maybe it was good you posted Dino, it will bring Rfactor2 back into everyones minds :)

Best HDD combos are "slow" old spinning type with lots of space and smaller SDD for software. I doubt that your old PC is low energy one but if it is around 60W, you can always use it as fileserver. I had one 45W desktop and 2TBs worth of 5400RPM HDDs, 20€ a piece.. They have backups, main filestorage and media library. I even usually work inside fileserver, i have all my project files and libraries on network HDD (and backup to cloud from fileserver, that is one major advantage, not having to run cloud services on each computer seprarately).

The bad thing about games is that often the content like cars and tracks have to be in the same HDD as the executable.. And games these days are just monsters, putting three AAA titles on same SSD and that's it.

@Kennett Ylitalo Where have you been hiding? We've missed your crazy tech talk :)

@Sam Hill If your struggling to upload your skin then give us a shout and we'll sort it out, the rest of our skins are in the season 12 folder on mydrive add them when you get a chance it always helps to be able to tell who your racing against as most of us dont use nametags or anything like that. :thumbsup:

@Valerio Vinassa I still use Samsung F3 Spinpoints HDD's, Ive got a 500gb that I use for windows and games, then I've got a 1tb for storage, they've been plenty quick enough for me so far and I'll probably keep them when I upgrade so its less to buy at the time.

The HDD choice is good these days Vale, you've got normal 72000rpm, cheap and high capacity, then you've got 100000rpm Raptors in decent capacity now at sort of decent prices, then you have Hybrid drives someone else could probably tell you about these, then you've got your SSD's ive put them in this order purposely in terms of price and speed.

Any HDD choice you make will be fine Vale their all fast enough for your needs, the rest of the componants you linked too are ideal to see you good for a few years to come :thumbsup:

Last edited:
@Valerio Vinassa and @David Turnbull
I have a 128 GB SSD (wish I had 256 instead) drive as my c:/main drive. This is used for OS (win7 64), programs and games. This means I only have about 2-3 games* installed at a time. It is a bit of a hazzle, but not too bad.

In addition I have almost 5TB of storage in conventional drives. (my personal folders are on d: (conventional drive) to free space on the SSD.

I'll probably swap the 128GB SSD with an 256GB soonish, then it will be large enough for my need.

Conclusion, my reccomentdation to Vale would be to go with the 256SSD and also a 2TB conventional hd :)

*presently Battlefield 4 (which I hardly have played) and Race07/GTREvo. I just completed and uninstalled The Vanishing of Ethen Carter a few days ago, and have now 28,5GB free disk space.

Dont know how you manage on 128gb Nico, at this minute I've got 180gb free on my 500gb drive, that's mainly windows 7, programs and games, I only have Race07, Rfactor2, Battlefield 3, Grand Theft Auto 4, and The Walking Dead Season 2 installed and that's took up nearly 280gb of space :whistling: even the 256gb would be far too little for me, is it just me that uses a crazy amount of space on my main drive or is it Nico who uses the least ever on his :roflmao:

Try moving that xxx folder of yours, and you'll see you have plenty of space :roflmao:

I think the key for slimming c: as much as I have done is the relocation of the home folder (Desktop, documents, e-mail, downloads etc). And I guess I do not have too many large programs installed, only some adobe-stuff and office.

I have 256 Gig SSD c drive for OS and programs I want to load and run fast, the rest of the programs and personal files including a 12 Gig swap file is on a 3TB HDD. Runs like a dream, boots in 15 seconds, loads Race 07(only game I play) in less than 10 seconds, sons Ryse game in 12 seconds and windows programs in a flash. SSD makes a massive difference to a 6 year old quad core, 8GB ram machine with a Radeon HD7800 GPU.
Totally recommend an SSD if you set it up right and only use it for things you want to load fast.

Sorry everyone, I am going to miss Zandvoort, and after I got the track sussed. Wife comes first and she says we go for our last holiday tomorrow at 4pm. Gutted because I feel this could be my best result.

Have fun.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea