Any of you guys know what kind of race lights these are that lister use ,
I presume its some kind of extra bulb , seems like a house bulb lol ,
maybe to see further anyways , looks kinda strange and ill add it anyways so it appears to look the same just wondered what kind of construction it was , looks strange to say the least .

in the center of the main reflector .
OwwnUUIERGm6KkOGN3Coaw

Mf_1DY6vT2OOQp8Sal-f3Q

738accb7e851f5973b92e077ca129eb7--race-cars-storms.jpg

No idea what kind of bulbs they used, but that lost shot is a great one. So nice and crisp and shiny.

Man I love that ugly thing. So cool
I have a really close shot can see it so clear , but to me honestly just looks like a house bulb , like a pear shaped bulb nothing else , but these last photos i shown looks like another round object like a disc , so strange construction i like these details they make or break a mod for me , needs to be done right :)
39b3c02360c853b1c857fc60931cc641.png

Here is the shot in even bigger size:

http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/wallpapers/2013/08/13/133275/05df30c805706e5ebd11b09ae9c53257.jpg

Still can´t exactly recognize the reflector layout. It´d be the first time I´d see pear shaped bulbs as headlights. If they did use those, that´s a lot further past. It looks like some secondary reflector ring around the bulb. Doesn´t make a lot of sense though.
I am going to add it obviously , but its strangest reflector ive seen , looks dead strange :D

Today's progress, slowly creeping into the Viper's interior. Once piece fiberglass dashboard (except for vent and gauges trim), and door panels. Still needs some detailing but the most complex shape it's there.

screenshot061.jpg

Had a hard time finding decent pics of this part so had to made it up the best I could. Not using the stock Chrysler part for the steering column, but instead has a tilting mechanism and a left hand switch for the lights.

screenshot059.jpg

Thanks for looking man I really appreciate it , I will try and finish them now the light textures and bake everything ill try my best to achieve the look of the lights at the front on the 1st and second reflectors ,
not 100% on this ill investigate it now have quite study of game content and shaders ,
but just can not remember from memory if its possible to achieve proper refraction to glass objects ,
maybe I can achieve the refraction some other way I know it might be possible using a few tricks ,
but dont want it to look silly , ill play anyways and thanks for digging up some more resources :)

EDIT/ I understand with the normal maps , I was going to apply a custom NM / Normal map , try some bent normals and normals maybe inverted to the 1st reflector and transparency using alpha channels also not that many options really , was just reading my unreal engine documents and its showing they use a custom camera and these techniques , but ill try like I said and see if we can create something similar , ill make a custom scene just with the glass so we can dig more into the situation of the refraction .

Conclusion
Adding Refraction to your Materials, especially glass and water, is a great way to get very realistic looking results. Remember to use the correct IOR value for the type of surface you are trying to simulate. You also might be tempted to push the IOR value past what is used for the surface type, resist this urge. IOR values come from real world measured values so pushing the IOR higher or lower than what it is supposed to be will not make it look better.

Last edited:
Well I tried over 10 different things with a custom scene , I know from experience with AC that it dont really take too kind to bent normal maps , does to a certain extent but on a minimal scale , works nice with carbon ect ,
so took to creating it by hand and baking some materials the base I am happy with having trying everything else as I say , ill tweek it some more and finish the rest of the glass which will produce a nicer result :)
4caa917efb8f980e7cdcc5ca56f3cfd4.jpg

Here is the shot in even bigger size:

http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/wallpapers/2013/08/13/133275/05df30c805706e5ebd11b09ae9c53257.jpg

Still can´t exactly recognize the reflector layout. It´d be the first time I´d see pear shaped bulbs as headlights. If they did use those, that´s a lot further past. It looks like some secondary reflector ring around the bulb. Doesn´t make a lot of sense though.
So after quite a bit of research I like to know what im making not just hey lets make it appear the same ,
its some kind of custom parabolic reflector , maybe the eye shape in the center is more concentrated ,
comparing the cars like we should , we know that some of these 2004 cars had custom lights like the Viper for example what @A3DR is creating , he added the center lights which is used for night racing ,
I also have reference of the Storm with such lights in the front bumper but the pictures are rare and not even on 1% of the cars , so taking into consideration this and what we understand from previously looking , this new information , cross referencing pictures and data ,

My personal conclusion is that they created there own custom parabolic reflector used for night races so they do not have to modify or add extra parts and lighting systems , this reflector that is custom will give more concentration of the light beam , making the waves tighter which in turn should generate a brighter beam that will travel further into the distance , this type of parabolic reflector is quite normal on motorcycles for example , as the battery systems on some smaller older bikes are quite week so not to drain the battery they use this custom type of parabolic reflector as seen here .
DSCN9625.JPG

Source
http://www.lesolex.com/catalogue/21242-Parabole-optique-phare-125-mm.html

Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_reflector
200px-Off-axis_parabolic_reflector.svg.png

nice detail on the "handrest" on the outer ring of the steering wheel there

will the spiral cable turn with the steering or is it static?

nice detail on the "handrest" on the outer ring of the steering wheel there

will the spiral cable turn with the steering or is it static?

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, I can figure out a way to do it but the problem is dealing with the clipping through the rest of the parts. It'll take a complex skinned mesh and I doubt that'll be easy on the game engine itself.

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, I can figure out a way to do it but the problem is dealing with the clipping through the rest of the parts. It'll take a complex skinned mesh and I doubt that'll be easy on the game engine itself.
I was gonna try it on this Lister too , well kept looking at it wondering about the setup ,
so many degrees of rotation from looking would be fine left and right I believe , but full rotation would stretch it like chewing gum from my imagination ,
I tried it a while back on the RSS4 car , well started it and after 2hrs gave inn on the job , it might be possible with maybe 7 envelopes or more but the 4 I tried wasnt enough to wrap it , it was just pulling :)

I guess your right..I wouldn't even try the static spiral, no idea how to get it to follow a curve :D

Reactions: CC
I guess your right..I wouldn't even try the static spiral, no idea how to get it to follow a curve :D
I keep thinking about experimenting more with it , but I know its a dead end but still want to try ,
so far it stretches , but making it curl around an object is a different story ,
me and @Patrik Marek was discussing this a few years back also 2014-15 I believe same thing ,
I still think upto now from memory I have never actually seen one ever working in any racing game / title / car whatsoever , obviously I might be wrong , if someone could show me one working correctly I would be pleased to see it just for the sheer enjoyment from watching it curl :)

I set the challenge to @A3DR :p

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea