Gettin' pretty 'cagey' now too :D

Welds not as squeaky clean as Dan's but its not too bad - not quite finished, got to do the asymmetrical cage bits too, then weld it to the chassis in places.

eZpnvRzh.jpg

iv60tpoh.jpg

vaIYIhJh.jpg

JcR12Weh.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, some star names driving the old 550:

YIZTLlD.jpg

Nice english commentary too (couldn't find any for the actual FIA GT races):

Some interesting names to have driven a 550 (not necessarily the Prodrive one) at one point or another (obviously there are dozens more, but these are the ones that stood out to me):

David Brabham
Jan Magnussen
Darren Turner
Anthony Davidson
Sébastien Bourdais
Toto Wolff

Toto Wolff and Mika Salo drove the 575 at various points too.

I_165.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and a nice wind tunnel development pic :)

XWHwOVs.jpg

Some words from a (former?) Prodrive engineer:

Oh yeah, I was not in the wind tunnel work with the 550. I was still with Brembo at that time. I did see the data and talk with the engineers in the UK about the hows and whys of what they did. Nothing done to the car is very far out. Pretty standard modification for a GT spec car. The key with Prodrive is that they made the car balance out very well, and not be overly sensitive to ride height and pitch. This made the car easier to drive and more stable between driving styles. the center of pressure is also well located and controlled due to this balance.

Many GT cars have more of a band aid solution, sticking on ever larger rear wings and front splitters and things like that. Often the root of an issue is that some element of the car is seperating or stalling airflow or taking air off the wing. But these things are near impossible to judge without wind tunnel time. But thats why the big boys win most often.

-----

the passenger area floorpan and roof structure are about all that is left from the OE 550. There are new suspension pick ups, and subframes are used to cradle the engine and front and rear suspension. The gearbox is not the OE piece, so a new structure carries that as well. The car is really a tube frame silhouette of the OE 550. Only the general layout and engine specification are still in place.

The suspension uses fabricated uprights, and to my knowledge, none of the 550 parts are still used. Prodrive scanned the entire car into 3d CAD data and designed the cage and support frames in order to get the CG of the major components as low and centralized as possible. The drivers seat is lower and further back than OE in order to get more weight off the nose for example.

The car is built pretty robust, so it is not the lightest of the GT cars. But it is a dead reliable endurance racer.

Last edited:
Having apparently exhausted the internet of 550 info, I've moved onto the 575...

Check this out - not only is it suited for the racetrack, turns out its a riot on Trento Bondone! Wish there was a better quality video, but even though its pretty mesmerising.

Last edited:
Not only tweak it but make you a brand new one this weekend! Pm me the details.
That be awesome man , to be honest I like stuff like this , letting members of the community design some things , branding logos ect feels pleasing :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back