I was going to whinge about the rear edge of the diffuser. In this photo it looks curved but in real life it is indeed flat like in your model. Really shows how good reference photos are important but also shows sometimes things are not quite how they might look at first glance!

They ran a few different rear diffusers over the course of the car's lifetime. The one Garry's modeling is indeed flat, but the one pictured definitely seems to be curved (circa 2003):

alms-road-atlanta-ii-2003-80-prodrive-ferrari-550-maranello-david-brabham-jan-magnussen-an.jpg

Yep, as said previously my best reference images are a car that raced in 2004 (but crucially the photos are not from back then), which means they may not be true to the spec back then. But I'd rather model a slightly different spec well then the correct spec badly (if that makes any sense :p).

This is the diffuser I based mine on, as you see, dead flat. Load of high res pics of this one:

Uj7NSii.jpg

iEsmRdO.jpg

But you see this pic its clearly curved, as is the underfloor one I showed earlier:

K0BNJuf.jpg

hnwKpb8.jpg

Yep, as said previously my best reference images are a car that raced in 2004 (but crucially the photos are not from back then), which means they may not be true to the spec back then. But I'd rather model a slightly different spec well then the correct spec badly (if that makes any sense :p).

This is the diffuser I based mine on, as you see, dead flat. Load of high res pics of this one:

Uj7NSii.jpg

iEsmRdO.jpg

But you see this pic its clearly curved, as is the underfloor one I showed earlier:

K0BNJuf.jpg

hnwKpb8.jpg
Wouldnt say its as flat as yours though :p
Pancake Gary :laugh:
2dbd388dc81926376da72315d0744f3f.jpg

Wouldnt say its as flat as yours though :p
Pancake Gary :laugh:
2dbd388dc81926376da72315d0744f3f.jpg
Yeah I was more talking about the curvature in the X direction rather than Z. You can see on those example pics the bottom two follow the bumper curvature, whereas the top two don't.

And the curvature in the Z direction is so minimal it almost looks like a defect or sagging with age rather than as designed, and even if it was I'm not sure its worth the extra polys :p

Yeah I was more talking about the curvature in the X direction rather than Z. You can see on those example pics the bottom two follow the bumper curvature, whereas the top two don't.

And the curvature in the Z direction is so minimal it almost looks like a defect or sagging with age rather than as designed, and even if it was I'm not sure its worth the extra polys :p
Never seen sagging carbon fiber with age man , great concept :roflmao:
when someone points stuff out on my car , ill say look man , its old , its aged and this :poop: is sagging :p

Yeah I don't think it happens, though it certainly has that appearance.
Honestly , looks like aero balance to me , they always seem to have higher areas at the sides than the center of the the diffuser, gives the car more balance cornering , read it somewhere for these F1 diffuser ,
that curve , the arch is an early form a blown diff ferrari was testing :p hehe
ferrari-diffusor-inline.jpg

One of the reasons they might have ran curved diffuser back in the day is because of the rules. Sometimes especially with older cars the aero rules define available wing dimensions by using the body shape as the basis. For example the wing can not be wider than the car, not more further away than h away from the surface of the car or can not extend beyond the rear of the car when looking down at the car shape from top. The curved diffuser could be a result of this: can not extend behind the rear bumper longnitudinally for example. Later years could use different definion which is why they could be using straight diffusers. If you have the rule book you probably find your explanation there.

yes, two "not ferrari 550 & 575", "not dodge viper", "not lister storm", "not lamborghini murcielsago" and i think the not saleen as well i cant remember it was discussed on one of the first few pages. might be worth adding it to the first post.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 13.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 29 11.1%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 35 13.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Friday

Votes: 86 32.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 153 58.4%