RD Racing Club Ideas & Feedback (merged)

Racing club ideas

Hi there!

I was thinking about how we could make our racing club for this game better!
1. because we have very few sign-ups
2. because the events end very late (23:00-23:30 for most people in Europe), and that make things very hard for those who want to sign-up for more events a week. (at least for me it does) Maybe that's also a reason why there are so few people signing up!

So I would like to know your opinions about the following ideas:
- Putting the start 1 hour earlier (19:00 GMT/20:00 CET), like in the old days could already make it much better imo.
- I think we could also shorten the practice and the quali a bit. 30 mins for each is just too long, the server is up days before the race, so I think everybody has the chance to practice!

Formats to vote for:

- 19:00 GMT, 30 min practice, 30 min quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 21:00-21:30 GMT (22:00-22:30 CET)

- 19:00 GMT, 15 min practice, 15 min quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 20:30-21:00 GMT (21:30-22:00 CET)

- 19:00 GMT, 20 min practice, 10 min superpole quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 20:30-21:00 GMT (21:30-22:00 CET)

- 19:00 GMT, 30 min practice, 15 min quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 20:45-21:15 GMT (21:45-22:15 CET)

- leave it alone, starts at 20:00 GMT, 30 min practice, 30 min quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 22:00-22:30 GMT (23:00-23:30 CET)

I like the last man standing idea !! Reminds me of going to watch Bank Holiday Weekend Banger Racing when they used to hold a figure 8 last man standing final at the end of the weekend. Speaking of Figure 8 - Top Gear Test Track !

Ill contact the racing staff to see if we can get this going :) Some cool tracks would be:

Brands Hatch GP (Can cut across Indy circuit to swipe out opponents)
Nurburgring GP (For Find Nords and a great blast around the car park behind the pitlane)
Varano de Melegari (Secret mountain route across track)
Any others?

Yes the RaceKing Nordschleife :)

I can remember we had a mini cooper race there once with black flag disabled during the "Save The Princess" events. Objective: drive as fast as possible to the Nurburg Castle and save the princess. (no sex, just saving)

Might I throw out the option of a 'Team' Last Man Standing? 4 people per team, 2 teams against each other, first to finish the race (or last man standing) wins. Make it 10 laps on an oval or 5 laps on a road course. Essentially, when I would play this on TOCA 3, the race started as normal and who ever made it through the first turn went on to try and win the race for their team. The other 3 team mates turned around and went on the defense. It was a blast! :D

Racedepartment Racing is very dry

Probably a question for Racing Staff, but maybe members don't want variety.

Why is nearly every Race On / GTRE Event at RD using dry weather?

The Race On series has one noteable addition over other similar sims, the ability to race in variable or wet weather, but we almost never use that feature on-line. I have checked back through all events this year, and in the Europen Club there have been 3 using variable weather, and in the US Club, none.
Do the members who race here not want to race in anything else? I have raced in Leagues elsewhere and the variable weather or wet weather is used extensively, and it provides much more variety and interest. The weather modelling in Race On is actually pretty good too, although variable weather still doesn't generate a lot of really wet racing.
I see many people debating which sims are the most "realistic", surely variable weather is realistic? It certainly adds a new dimension to racing and can mix things up a lot, some drivers can struggle a little more in the wet, while others can be better. It can be interesting sometimes, to see who can adapt to changing weather conditions.

Since the logo for RD is "bluring the line between virtual and real motorsport", can I remind everyone that real motorsport is often held in the wet. The RD world seems to be a utopia of perfect weather.

Just thought I'd ask.

I love variable weather, especially in long races, I remember the AF3kGPC test race at Singapore, that was the best experience I had with it! Heavy rain came at the middle of the race at only one half of the track!:)
My first race here also had variable weather, it was hard to decide which tire to use because it was drying up! It was awesome!

I don't often run in wet races, it's just not what I'm looking for. When I raced IRL, I would skip wet races, or start them and then pull out and return to take the last lap. I also had a good many enjoyable races in the rain but I have a choice. I tend to skip the races on RD that are wet but don't stop having wet races just becasue of my choices.

The thing for me with the weather is that dry allows all abilities to compete. Introduce rain and the less skilled drivers are severely disadvantaged. I think for league racing weather is a good idea but for fun club events surely the level of accessibility should be the lowest common denominator and making it more difficult only serves to turn the less able drivers away.

It also goes without saying that on older rigs the weather is a performance hit.

I wanted to ask the same thing when I will get my GPU back... well, I am semi-novice driver and wet weather is really hard to drive... but I had one race on some server at Nordschleife with wet conditions... and it was the best race I have ever drove ... yes, I was slow because I was trying to don't get out of the track... but still atmosphere was really amazing... I fell in love into wet conditions after that :)

The thing for me with the weather is that dry allows all abilities to compete. Introduce rain and the less skilled drivers are severely disadvantaged. I think for league racing weather is a good idea but for fun club events surely the level of accessibility should be the lowest common denominator and making it more difficult only serves to turn the less able drivers away.

I respect, but don't agree with the assertion that wet weather disadvantages novices. In my experience it does exactly the opposite. The aliens no longer have the advantage of using their lightening quick reflexes, aggression, and confidence in grip level. While novice drivers are still timid and cautious but no slower and mid-packers at least get to see the tailpipes of the aliens. IMHO variable weather levels the playing field making the entire race more competitive. Further evidence.....

... well, I am semi-novice driver and wet weather is really hard to drive... but I had one race on some server at Nordschleife with wet conditions... and it was the best race I have ever drove ... yes, I was slow because I was trying to don't get out of the track... but still atmosphere was really amazing... I fell in love into wet conditions after that :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.