RD Racing Club Ideas & Feedback (merged)

Racing club ideas

Hi there!

I was thinking about how we could make our racing club for this game better!
1. because we have very few sign-ups
2. because the events end very late (23:00-23:30 for most people in Europe), and that make things very hard for those who want to sign-up for more events a week. (at least for me it does) Maybe that's also a reason why there are so few people signing up!

So I would like to know your opinions about the following ideas:
- Putting the start 1 hour earlier (19:00 GMT/20:00 CET), like in the old days could already make it much better imo.
- I think we could also shorten the practice and the quali a bit. 30 mins for each is just too long, the server is up days before the race, so I think everybody has the chance to practice!

Formats to vote for:

- 19:00 GMT, 30 min practice, 30 min quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 21:00-21:30 GMT (22:00-22:30 CET)

- 19:00 GMT, 15 min practice, 15 min quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 20:30-21:00 GMT (21:30-22:00 CET)

- 19:00 GMT, 20 min practice, 10 min superpole quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 20:30-21:00 GMT (21:30-22:00 CET)

- 19:00 GMT, 30 min practice, 15 min quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 20:45-21:15 GMT (21:45-22:15 CET)

- leave it alone, starts at 20:00 GMT, 30 min practice, 30 min quali, 10 min warmup, race 1, race 2, races end around 22:00-22:30 GMT (23:00-23:30 CET)

Just something I would like to throw out there. Would some kind of career system make club races more interesting to people?

That would be something interesting to look at. A kind of RD stat tracking for RD club events could possibly get more interested into signing up for club events. It probably would take a lot of work but it would be nice to have a driver stat section (club events/RD league stats) to see how you've done in the past and to see how you've improved. Just a suggestion. :cool:

As for the start times, during the week if I am able to join the Euro Club events 20:00GMT is a good time for me. But would probably join the US Club events more as the 9pm EST (6pm PST my time) fits my schedule. I do hope that we get some US Club events with the newly released MMG F1 2007 mod on some of the addon F1 tracks that are out there. :smile:

Sorry to say but such a thing is not something I have thought has ever been missing from my life at RD Eric ... sounds a lot of admin work too ... I always liked to keep things simple ... maybe a reflection of what's in my head :p

What if part of the signup process was that if a member wanted (NOT A CONDITION AN OPTION) they could host servers with names containing 'RACEDEPARTMENT CASUAL' in the server name?
That allows any member to race a track of his or her choice with their own selection of vehicle - the Licenced members server can be passowrd protected, using the ONLY club password - or NO password protection if the member wants non-Licenced Members to join (cant give password to NON Licenced Members).
Maybe some who can, I cant, would host - other members could join and it could be a sort of RD meeting place for members, but still based around the forums and RD - If I filtered 'RACED' and found a server with 'RACEDEPARTMENT CASUAL' in the name I would know I could join using the standard password or not if whoever was hosting chose to make it public - What I would expect would be possibly other RD Members - and Voting been used to kick idjots, I think that could fit in with moving club racing forwards as I think whats lacking is the ability to 'drop' into a friendly (RD) server at any time.

Remember any one could host using RACEDEPARTMENT in the name, so NO giving passwords, EVER online, if they need the password they can log in and get it.

Just another idea - Casuals run by RD have failed because of lack of members joining, if members could host and other members joined some fun one off racing club races could be had.

I like what Neil said! If we start a race at 19 GMT, we have a 30-40 min practice-warmup period, then a 40-50 min race or two shorter ones, we still finish the race between 20:10-20:30, and then I think there's still time to rerun the event, it'll end around 21:20-22:00 GMT (still earlier than it does now).
Those who can't stay up can leave and those who can't join the first race can enter the second, this way numbers keep up I think.

I agree with Lee about the chatbox and "RD spirit", but I think it is a problem that the races start too late. I can easily imagine that there are some guys who are not as crazy as me, and don't sign up for a race that lasts until 23:30 when they have to wake up between 5 and 6, and even if they don't have to (me on tuesdays), they wake up early automaticly (with an awful headache every time). And racing US events at 3:00 isn't easier at all, but I have nothing to do with it since I'm not american:)

Dave, a casual server can easily have a different password if we want to let non-club members (but registered RD members) to join, just don't make it public 'cause then we have to have somebody to watch over the server all the time, it's not a solution to kick the idiots after they runied the race in my opinion.:)

About the career, if somebody takes the time to do it, it's fine, it can make things more interesting and more fun for some people I'm sure, especially for beginners. When I started my career here on RD I wrote up all my results for example:) But then it became boring after a while and it was only a +work. And after some racing club experience, I think most of the people say the same thing: it's not the result that's important, but to have fun fights, no matter for which place!

what Neil says 1 early 1 late event same tracks same cars could be worth a try but remember low signups will maybe only
get even lower with splitting the real reason i thing is that there are 10+ leagues running and ppl maybe go to praccy for there
next race insteed of signing up to a club race, solution could be to run at least favored the tracks that are running in the leagues
wich would allow the league drivers at least to get the track learned a password protected casual server with a
different password i thing we had already in the verry early days of RD but i dont remember why it was closed at the end
but i think cuz ppl (not even clubmembers) was demanding that the server should be monitored by a admin
a career mode sounds promising but its a hell of work to keep it updated wich will put more load on the staff as any league
so i am only for it if there would be a way to automate this as i think the staff is doing already sooooo much for us all
its not needed to burne them out with manualy keeping the career up to date

I have similar fears to those Michael raised.
It is quite possible that, since the sign-up numbers are low to start with, splitting that group into two separate events may result in even lower numbers in both. If the original numbers are low due to unsuitable race times, it MAY help to get more in the revised (earlier) timeslot, but almost certainly would reduce the numbers in the original (later) timeslot. I can't see how the revised two timeslot concept will help to increase numbers in BOTH timeslots.
In the end, polls tend to only give an idea of possible preferences, but the only real way to find out would be to try some events in revised timeslots, and see how it goes. Actual attendances is the only true way to measure this.
I also think that the prevalence of so many events (Leagues, more games, more competing events) is causing the reduced numbers per event, it is happening in many parts of the Racing Club now, not just Race On. People can only join so many events each week, so it is inevitable that people are choosing their favourites. The surprising part though, RD keeps increasing it's overall membership, but the numbers joining many events is declining. Either new member are not joining, or regular members are joining less.

Re the career idea, while it sounds to have good potential, and may work if the stats are chosen well (eg. how many events joined, preferred event type, preferred game, etc), there is some risk in making the priority stat your race results. That makes the emphasis more on results and possibly contributing to more aggressive / competitive racing, something the Racing Club is not aimed at (leaving the Leagues for that style of racing). I'd still prefer to see the Racing Club focussed on how it might attract / encourage more newer members to join races, eg more help, training, friendly support, an environment that might make a newcomer feel more likely to put his / her toe in the water.

BTW: I couldn't vote in the other poll (preferred racing time) because it was closed after a few hours and before I saw it.

Dave, a casual server can easily have a different password if we want to let non-club members (but registered RD members) to join, just don't make it public 'cause then we have to have somebody to watch over the server all the time, it's not a solution to kick the idiots after they runied the race in my opinion.:)

PLEASE let me reiterate... I have suggested before that RD run a casual server - this has been tried but failed to get used enough to make it worthwhile. This was because members did not join the servers and utilise them, and why should RD run a server thats not used? Its unnecessary expense and effort that could be used far more effictively elsewhere.

I AM suggesting that WE as members (the ones capable of hosting) - HOST one off servers - So a Member feels like racing one day - but is not registered for any events - and no events have free slots available at shortnotice - If the Member could then Host using Racedepartment in the server name - so other members could find them and join AND using the Club Passoword or NO password at all - I think this could be a way of filling the need for Casual RD servers without RD directly incurring the cost. I AM TALKING ABOUT HOSTING CASUALLY FOR ONLY A SHORT TIME, SAY AN HOUR OR A FEW HOURS AT A TIME HERE.

Right, before you write my ideas off (because sorry but some of you more experienced longer term members do come over a little blinkered at times) let me give some reasons why this COULD work:

1) If a member is hosting a server, its only there while THEY feel like racing - In other words when they switch off, the Hosted 'game' dissappears - admin and control problems solved - because the person hosting can act as admin, and enforce, rules as much or as little as they like, and hopefully if it worked , there would be enough RD members, even in a casual RD Members Own Server to vote idiots off, BEFORE, they because a problem - REMEMBER the Public Server Invasion? And how RD Members cleaned up the server we joined that night bu using in game booting?.
2) I keep saying Club Password or NO Password - this is for a good reason - for anything like this to work it has to be kept simple - start including different passwords and people HAVE to hunt around the forum to find it, unless these different passwords are in the Club Members Only area they can be seen by everyone, so anyone can join (no point in having a password)..
3) I think NO password should be seriopusly considered - Its a way to get RD's name out there, if a Member Hosts and People who race clean and respectfully join - they can then be directed on to the RD website - thereby increasing membership. Although some members do seem resistant (almost scared) of new membership coming from publics - perhaps they arrived in an Alien Spaceship rather than through publics like the rest of us!!!
4) Such servers where the emphasis is on one off races and events, hosted by members on a whim, can only encourage interaction between members and increase the feeling of belonging to a great and worthwhile 'Club'.

I could go on and on, but you'll either love it or hate it, and will already have made your mind up by now - just bear in mind that numerous posts above mention or hint that something is lacking, like a jigsaw missing its final piece, here at RD and often that is related to or centres around new sign ups, lack of a place or places for RD members to just hang out together, and the costs and lack of take up of Casual Servers laid on by RD - Many Members already host their own 'games' - all I am suggesting is that if that was done using the RD name it could help RD and RD Members to get together more.

Perhaps if members hosted calling their server - 'Racedepartment Unofficial' - or something similar?

Another idea - I am not so keen on the career idea - but I do think Eric does have something there - I refer back to my Battlfield Vietnam Days - I played all over the place on many different servers - then one day I joined a server at random and saw server 'announcements' telling me I could see my Ranking and Statistics if I went to a certain site - now I didn't even know the name of the server I had joined, but out of interest I made a note of the website in the server announcement and visited it - There I found a Rankings list that I could Search my name and it provided all sorts of information about my in server activities - That then led to me visiting not only that Server more often, but also the Rankings list and its Forum time and time again, making many new friends (and some enemies) and taking my friends to their servers.

If RD could do something similar where a Driver Name search gives best lap times and stats for the Driver, maybe along with RD best times and comparison to average RD Members' times - perhaps this could work in keeping the interest of members as well as encouraging new members to join?

The stats site for Battlefield Vitenam I refer to is here - http://www.fsfa.org/bfvstats/index.php - enter any player name in the search box at the bottom or click on any name and full details for that player are displayed. Ok so its kills, who killed, team kills, favourite soldier etc etc that are shown for BFV, but laptimes, favourite car discipline etc etc could be shown on an RD variant - people love to see details about themselves, and how they compare to others - it encourages return visits and is a way of encouraging some healthy competition, wether your in the top 20 or 250th, you can see your progress up or down the scoreboard - I used to like comping back to BFV after a break and starting say 700th then battling to get to the top 50 and struggling to hit the top 20, top 10 was much harder but not impossible to achieve, but then again I liked my Huey Gunships and the MI8 Attack Chopper so kills come easier than with just an M16!

i have an idea, it will maybe help a bit

why have a rd a racing club schudele? TCC on monday, openwheelers on thursday, .. ect. I think we have to go back to the old racing club. The racing club directors think its a good idea to race with the gt's on thack X on datum X. the event would be held. And so on. Some variation is good.

And maybe not every day a event for the RACE Series

just some ideas

As a rookie, I am ok with short practice and superpole, but 19:00 GMT is too early for me.
So there could be a 20 min practice + 10 min superpole from 20:00 GMT in the poll

The other option is the current long (30 min practice + 20 min quali), from 19:00

and what I would appreciate is race start from 19:00 GMT (19:30) especially on Sunday... well, 19:30GMT at all isn't bad time, is it? It is like any kind of compromise for people who'd like to start from 20:00 GMT and 19:00 GMT... I think this - time (19:30) should work for each racing club event

Hey all, I just remembered something cool the guys at RPM did a few months ago that was super super fun!

Basically it's various silly games on a public server which have no effect of seriousness whatsoever.

Some games will include:

1) Last Man Standing - A free-for all. This takes skill, luck, luck, some more luck and a clutch that works! Basically all the cars start on the starting line and it the last car to keep running wins. THERE ARE NO RULES! :p

2) Cat and Mice - Out of the group we pick a random driver and they are the cat (they could perhaps have a special kitty skin). The mice (everyone else) get a 10second head start. Once 10seconds are up, the cat will chase the mice. Once the cat taps the mouse, he becomes a cat also and tries to catch the other mice. If he wants he can wait for the mice to come around and he will try to ram them off. But when you become a cat you cant change other people into cat. You can just hold them off and block them till the starting cat comes.The last one remaining is the winner.

3) Drifting Competition - Yup you guessed it! On Teamspeak we all watch each person take turns to drift round a lap. The guys on TS will rate it. The person with the highest score wins!

4) Backwards Race! - Each driver lines up side by side for the start and they all face backwards. Its a 3 Lap race.

Points would be given to the winner but its really the fun that counts

What do you guys think? Its different from the normal racing that goes on here but can be as equally if not more fun! TeamSpeak would be highly advised but not neccessary so we can laugh at the failures!

Any other games you can think of?

Some shots of the RPM Cat and Mouse game (Cats have headlights on)

Additional games I thought of:

(Only for Nurburgring GP) Find Nords - First one to get on the Nordschliefe track is the winner

Hide and Seek - One guys counts, the rest hide, no track maps or names are allowed, last one caught wins

Ross you forgot the Brands Hatch Rally cross :) But that was even from way back (2006) :

Haha good fun i am all up for it rossi :)

@Ivo: that mini slamming is awesome!!

Lol hilarious videos :biggrin:

And crazy ideas Ross!

Me also have an idea, i was using this at GeneRally with my friends. Great Fun:thumbup: :

RACEBALL

One person, with a Mini Cooper will be the ball, He won't drive his car. Others ( with strong muscle cars ), form up teams and try to move the Mini Cooper into rival's keep. After a score, the Mini cooper driver will go to the middle again and the match will kick off. Also Damage multiplier must be %0, otherwise ball won't be able to move to the middle after a score :wink:.

Also we need a special track with two gates. I can model it basically if someone may convert it for the game :) .

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 425 39.5%