Rally - The Full Monte - Monday 25th & Tuesday 26th April 2011

Realistic damage was quite weird. There was no middle ground, either a normal drive to the end, or an immediate retirement.

One stage, bumping into everything, car fine. Another stage, catch the wooden fence with the side of the car, all over.

One stage, bumping into everything, car fine. Another stage, catch the wooden fence with the side of the car, all over.

Yeah those damn wooden fences have a tendancy of killing the car good, espesialy when your tail hits first and it swings the front of the car into the next post:p

well was a good rally for me anyways, not sure how i did all in all because i think i ran most the stages before other did and didnt get to see how scores were, but finished every stage (except SS1 of course) and did alot better than i did in practice!

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that for my first ever Club rally :) Thank you to Senad for setting it up and Warren and Ric for the company and encouragement in Team Speak as well all the help testing everything yesterday.

Stage one crashed like everyone else and the two Bisanne had me scratching my head but I was very happy with my times for my first run on Monte with limited practice leading into it, finishing every stage but the last one where I crashed and broke the car within sight of the finish line.

I really enjoyed the realistic damage as being my first event I didn't know any different and it makes it even for me against the experienced drivers as being a newbie I don't know with reduced damage which banks I can safely bounce it off but by using realistic this way we are all on a level playing field starting with something new.

It's also better as its as real as driving my real rally car as the last thing I want to do in that is have even a slight tap, the last one cost me over 10k in repairs :frown:

Really looking forward to the next Club rally and the RD Championship rally coming up in May.

Again thanks to all those who put this event together and to the other competitors for a great event.

Cheers Al
rally.gif

I would recommend not to use it in the club rallies, its suppose to be fun, and realistic kills it imo. As for the championship, well, it would definitely put it on another level. Just to finish with cumulative realistic damage you would either need; a lot of practice or a very very cautious drive. Not fun. If we were ever to use realistic it would have to be only for the top class, as an extra challenge. But i still wouldn't like to see it.

totaly agree with you there, i didnt enjoy this rally the concentration needed to not hit anything and at times having to drive so slow it just wasent any fun.

Realistic damage was quite weird. There was no middle ground, either a normal drive to the end, or an immediate retirement.

Thats exactly my point.

I really enjoyed the realistic damage as being my first event I didn't know any different and it makes it even for me against the experienced drivers as being a newbie I don't know with reduced damage which banks I can safely bounce it off but by using realistic this way we are all on a level playing field starting with something new.

It actually polarise the field even further, to those who know the stages very well and can push ( hardcore RBR players ), and to those who don't know ( casual players ) and have to slow down just to have a chance to finish.

Same issue that most had on SS1. SS2 I hit one of the wooden fences and ended my rally. SS3, SS4, and SS5 I had gentle offs that resulted in retirements. I've had a few of those same kinds of offs during practice last week and only a few times did it every end my rally. I got frustrated and quit(don't tell anyone). Even though it wasn't a good rally for me I still enjoyed it and the realistic damage model.

Thanks again to all. Your effort is greatly appreciated.

Maybe we should have this whole Realistic vs Reduced discussion in a separate thread, rather than restrict it to only this one, where it may get lost.
However a couple of initial thoughts of mine.

1. This was the first test run using Realistic Damage, and maybe a Monte Carlo Rally was too tough for the first test. This was a very tricky one, with slippery surfaces, so easy to bump things. But I wanted to see if that would identify differences more quickly.
Before we pass final judgements, I thinik we need to try a couple more using Gravel and (maybe) Snow.

2. Re the suggestion that drivers have to slow down too much to avoid crashing, and making it unfair for some. That probably is realistic, most real drivers have to do that. Maybe we are allowing people to develop bad habits??? What is considered driving fast vs slow is subjective. You should be driving as fast as you can to suit the conditions but keep the car alive. Daruisz says it favours the hard core guys, I think it favours the drivers who respect the car / conditions. It is also frustrating for some of us to see some "fast" guys bouncing off walls, banks, etc, rolling the car, and still being winners or podium finishers. For example, I have always driven as if I own the car, and therefore have always tried to keep it clean, even when we have used Reduced. This was my first rally in Realistic, I didn't drive any differently, didn't hit anything, and I think my Stage times were very similar to normal. I'm certainly not an "alien", but I do try to drive cleanly and consistently.
I'm sure there are others here who drive similarly and can handle Realistic ok.

3. Maybe we need to stop people developing bad driving habits, and encourage them to drive more cleanly, rather than thinking that bouncing off walls etc is good driving?

4. Having said the above, I'm sure that it may be less FUN for some. It certainly raises the learning curve for new comers. RBR is tough enough to start with, Realistic Damage may make that curve too steep, and deter new members, even existing ones.

I have no plans to introduce Realistic Damage for ALL future events. However, it is an option that maybe we can use occasionally, for variety, especially if it mixes up the results a little more and gives the "clean" drivers more of a chance.
It is certainly being considered by the RDRC Team for possible future Championships, so we need to give it a good testing to see how much of an affect it may have.

This was the first time for many of us using Realistic Damage (including me), so perhaps we need to keep an open mind at this point of time, and lets see how it goes after a couple more Tests on other surfaces. :)

I will, later, start a new Forum thread for this topic, and will copy relevant posts from here to that one. Then we can continue this topic over a longer time period as we try more tests.

Overall Rally Results

Congrats Jeremy, Rob and Warren :trophy:

Stage wins:
Warren Dawes: 4 stage wins :star::star::star::star:
Robb Kulcsar: 1 stage win :star:
Dariusz Swiderski: 1 stage win :star:

Okay, now, about the grey bits.

SS1: 3 people were able to drive SS1, that's most likely because they didn't install update 4. 16 drivers were not able to drive it, through no fault of their own, so that one is scrubbed.
SS4: I made a mistake in the OC session, and instead of Joux Plane, we had Bisanne. The fault is mine, I apologise, but the fair thing for all is that stage being scrubbed as well.
Dubravko: overall win, but in the wrong car, sorry about that.

Thanks to everyone who joined, and to Warren for setting it up :thanks:

See you all next week :rally:

Congratulations Jeremy, we always like to see a new winner in the Rally Club. :trophy:

Well done too to Robb, good to see you on the podium again, it's been a while. :wink:
Shame about my PC freezing up and preventing me from running the last Stage, but these things happen. :rolleyes:
Top result for Eckhart too, well done. :)

I guess this rally had more than it's share of problems, and not just due to the Realistic damage. Sorry about the Update 04 bug, but it was out of our control. We'll forgive Senad for the OC SS04 boo boo, but since he sets up hundreds of these for us and this is his first mistake, we'll let him off lightly. :tongue: He's allowed one per year. :D:D

As I suspected, the realistic damage scrambled the results a lot, favouring those drivers who are more safe and consistent. I don't mind seeing that occasionally, these drivers deserve some reward.

Big welcome to our new drivers, Alistair, Reinis, and Florin. :welcome:

Thanks to Senad for his organisation, Damien for the hot banner, and to all who joined this very tricky Rally. Hopefully it has been a good learning experience for most of us.
I plan to run another Realistic Test Rally (on Gravel) in the near future, but I'll revert back to something less demanding for next week.
Lets hope the RSRBR2011 Update 04 issues are resolved by then though. :frown:

Yeah was a good rally, sux tho so many people had troubles and 2 stages had to be scrubed as i dare say the resaults would have been different if it didnt happen.

Tho another way to look at it, is its comparable to real rally ie: the stage faults could be looked at as stage cancelations as in the recent WRC event in Jorden where 6 stages were canceled due to event equipment ariving late.
And i guess you could look at a computer crash as like car troubles...maybe???

anyways thanks to all involved and hope to see you all next rally for another exciting event.

One stage win and on the podium ;), I'm starting to like again this game :)! To be honest, if everybody in front of me drops down, I have a chance of winning :tongue:. From this point o view, I'd like more Realistic events :rolleyes:.
And now to be more serious, I'll enjoy no mather what and when, any race, cose from mid July I'll be leaving :airplane: for a long period of time and nobody knows when I'll have the chance to play again :sorry:.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.