PC1 Project Cars mostly hype? Your opinions

This thing has been hyped so much.
I swore I wouldn't buy another car game unless i tried a demo first. But like all the other sheep, I followed and purchased it.

Thus far it's been a massive disappointment
Played in: 4800x900 resolution
No driver's aids
Logitech driving force GT
DTM car at Spa
Default force feedback settings

*Little to no steering feel.- I don't feel like I'm driving on ice though.
*Arcade style driving (extremely forgiving) on the hardest settings.
*cockpit sides are stretched oblong
*BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS overall though.
*audio left alot to be desired.

Are either tracks accurate?
I compared DTM cars in R3E at Hockeheim & pCars at Hockenheim.
pCars seemed more difficult due to the shadows cast on the track, light reflections... so I had difficulty picking up some brake markers, but the track itself seemed easier to drive (less turning in corners), no tire squealing, basically turn the steering wheel according to the video on the screen - like an arcade game.

The cars were worlds apart.
R3E: you felt the weight transfer, heard the tires scrubbing then squealing as they lost grip, felt/heard the oversteer, the understeer.
pCars: I just hear alot of wind noise. or what sounds like wind noise.
Drive too fast? no problem in pCars just slam on the brakes mid-corner.
Drive too fast in R3E, slide off the track - tires squealing & screeching the whole way, then dig yourself out of the gravel.

Right now, my impression is that pCars is a better version of Grid Autosport.
Somewhere between Arcade and Sim - leaning more towards arcade.

Admittedly, I have optmized R3E and I was only in pCars for about half an hour and need to change fov, force feedback, and audio settings.

What's your impression of pCars to other games?

Not trying to be rude swag, but you're known as a casual gamer, as such, instant fun is your main aim along with the constant purchase of new games.
I only buy games that i strongly suspect are good/what i want.
Not trying to be rude , David, but you're known as a "know-it-all". As such, you believe you know everything, and any opinion that differs from yours is wrong. Instant arguing is your main aim, along with the constant blabbering of baseless "insight" concerning, well, anything.

Swag

Over and over about how it's garbage...this has gone on since, well...about an hour and half after release. Right now, it's not as good as all the "hype" but it definitely is not terrible.

Nonsense.
You couldn't be more wrong!

This has gone on since SMS first announced they were starting the WMD program, people calling it garbage before even a single line of code had been written.
:D

Nonsense.
You couldn't be more wrong!

This has gone on since SMS first announced they were starting the WMD program, people calling it garbage before even a single line of code had been written.
:D

Okay, so it is even worse than I described. Thanks for pointing that out. If that doesn't illustrate how silly this whole thing has gotten then I don't know what else could. If someone doesn't like it then they should move on and come back later to see if it improved.

Oh god, missed the pCars launch due to troubles at work and the first thing i read, garbage, ****, simcade, trash, name it....
What is it, that urges people to let everyone else know that something is bad? For me, if i don't like something, it's history and i go on. Here, everyone wants to express his own feelings of game not being up to his standards after playing it for what, like half an hour. Thread opener says it's garbage, because he didn't feel the wheel but never even tried to adjust settings that influence this behaviour. Come on, if after playing it for half an hour you would be satisfied, it would mean it's "one for all", wouldn't it? And "one for all" is far from simulation, where you have to take many variables into account, right? So because it's not one for all, it's garbage? Yes, there are a lot of options available, but if you want to have a race, first learn what those setting are there for.
Try to make up some arguments when saying something is bad or good, otherwise it's like wind blowing around your ears, white noise. Back to work ....

Not trying to be rude , David, but you're known as a "know-it-all". As such, you believe you know everything, and any opinion that differs from yours is wrong. Instant arguing is your main aim, along with the constant blabbering of baseless "insight" concerning, well, anything.

Swag

I obviously don't know it all but do find that as a marketing slogan, devs want to call most racing games sims despite the games lacking the detailed physics necessary to allow for credible car behaviour.

This pretty much sums up my impressions about the game after 2 days.

dailystar.jpg

Well.... I can agree to some extent when regarding handling feel if you are comparing pCars to other PC sims. It's good but it does not set a new standard. And when you get into the nuances and details of handling feel it isn't as good as the best in the genre with a number of small, but important details.

However, to say it does nothing better than it's rivals is just not accurate overall. First, you have to say what platform. It has no current rival on the PS4. So it is going to make a splash there. Will it keep mindshare when GT7 arrives? Who knows? If GT7 gets announced at E3 for release this year (unlikely) then pCars will probably have a short tail on PS4. But by the time GT7 comes we might be close to pCars 2 for all we know.

On Xbox One it is trickier because Forza 5 is a really nice title and Forza 6 is coming out this fall. I haven't seen pCars on Xbox One but I have to guess it might edge out Forza 5 graphically. pCars does win in number of tracks, racing features, full day night cycle and weather. It also loses to Forza 5 in other categories but clearly pCars is doing new things in the console sim category on PS4 and Xbox One. So what is the reviewer talking about? (I am classifying Horizon 2 as a different type of title, BTW).

The comparisons on the PC are more complicated. But at the very least you have to give pCars credit for number of cars & tracks made by the developer and included in the initial price. You also have to give it credit for graphics-- where I think pCars edges out AC and iRacing as the best overall if you have the pc to handle it.

The comparisons on the PC are more complicated. But at the very least you have to give pCars credit for number of cars & tracks made by the developer and included in the initial price. You also have to give it credit for graphics-- where I think pCars edges out AC and iRacing as the best overall if you have the pc to handle it.
AC has open content modding, and already has plenty of good tracks to use besides what the game offers. So the level evened out in that aspect, same with mod cars. Pcars tracks are the same as what modders do in AC with the tracks, they are made the same way. The only thing which differs are the game graphics and animations obviously.
I haven't felt anything lacking in terms of content in AC, but that doesn't mean that I'm not looking forward for more officially made content by Kunos :) Because of laser-scan.

Since I have never driven the cars, I have no idea, but on some of the Pcars cars: DTM, GT3 I can come out of a relatively sharp corner with my wheel turned quite a bit and full throttle pedal to the metal(high RPMs) and not even slide. Sometimes it does, obviously, but sometimes I mess up the turn and think I am done and I keep on going fine.

To me that should easily spin me out with these type of cars, am I wrong?

TC is Off.

Maybe my differential settings.

This is not trying to knock Pcars....

Check this out.. and search for more real races with telemetry enabled and watch the throttle inputs.

If you drive the stock car setup, then yes, this is how they are even with traction control turned off (are you 100% sure it is actually off? because if you have selected REAL as the driving aids in preferences all the aids are turned on by default, because the real car has them, and you have to turn them off manually. If you select OFF then they should be off).

Also, according to quite a few racing drivers those GT3 cars actually do have tons of grip.. and you CAN slide them around a lot if you want to. You can create a car setup for them that makes them really hard to control.

I highly suggest messing around with the car setup a bit because they make a tremendous difference to how the cars drive. Even just tweaking the ARB's + tire pressures a bit can significantly alter the way the car drives. Oh and do give the differential a look as well.. it can be set to quite aggressive settings if you want wheelspin out of corners (why you'd want that on purpose, I don't know). :)

First of all I run pCars with low settings@1080p (laptop I use mainly for school), and graphically wise AC runs better on my system (maybe due to a AMD card), so i'm just comparing the overall gameplay. It gives you rFactor 2 features, like rain, detailed car and track temps, full day/night cycle, made acessible to all, which is AWESOME despite not having the same level of detail. But for someone that jumped from consoles (GT6, F1 codies, Dirt, Shift) to PC type of sims (rFactor, AC, RBR) one year ago, pCars feels like a drawback, being somewhere (WAY) above the simcades but not reaching the sim. NOT saying that it couldn't be fun, because IT IS (specially for karting and multiclass racing), but the "something missing" aspect is hitting me so many times to forget about other sims while playing it.

Just left PCars multiplayer. Sweet Mother of Chicken!
Race 1- Sonoma_Night
Race 2- Sonoma_Thunderstorm/Foggy
Race 3- Sonoma_Clear
Race 4- Hockenheim_Cloudy
Race 5_ Caldwell Park_Clear
This game is amazing. It is growing on me by leaps and bounds. It's even better when you race with cool people. Night racing is not gimmicky; it's a blast! Racing in the rain online is also fun, and challenging.
I refuse to argue which game is best, is it a sim, FFB this, FFB that. I don't care about all that nonsense! The game is fun. That's it in a nutshell. It's Fun. A few of you have said the same thing. I understand it now. It doesn't have to be anything other than what it is; Project Cars.

Swag
Swagger, I agree with what you're stating and i been racing AC about 1.5 years and i'am not a casual gamer as you been accused by David. lol I raced SCGT, Nascar Heat, NR2003, GTR2, Race07, rFactor1, rF2. & some real-life beasts! With this said, i do very much enjoy Pcars, including it's physics/FFB once it's all setup correctly!

Last edited:
AC has open content modding, and already has plenty of good tracks to use besides what the game offers. So the level evened out in that aspect, same with mod cars. Pcars tracks are the same as what modders do in AC with the tracks, they are made the same way. The only thing which differs are the game graphics and animations obviously.
I haven't felt anything lacking in terms of content in AC, but that doesn't mean that I'm not looking forward for more officially made content by Kunos :) Because of laser-scan.

AC is a very, very good product-- although still in development in a lot of areas. Some of the modders working in it are really talented and some great stuff will eventually come out for it through modding. Multiple outstanding Porsche 917 models anyone? :)

Still, for right now, I find most of the modded tracks in AC a very large step behind pCars tracks in overall quality. Yes they share the fact that they are not laser scanned (although many of the British tracks in pCars are scanned) but most AC modded tracks are quick rFactor conversions that look very dated in addition to lacking accuracy. Some of the actual conversions are not that great but the underlying track itself was great when originally made for rFactor-- like Mid Ohio and Sebring-- so they are good quality. IMO, there are only a few modded AC tracks that are approaching developer level quality... Donington Park is one good example. But the high quality tracks for AC still don't add up to the number in pCars you get right from the start.

And as you mentioned....Kunos is delivering at least another 3 laser scanned tracks sometime in the near future. Not sure if they will be free or DLC.

He was refunded quite early on if I recall correctly. His attitude and way of writing was exactly the same on the WMD forums so he got the boot. Actually he has been this negative debbie downer everywhere.. and not just about Project CARS.

Wrong on both counts, also, I've spent plenty of time supporting REAL sims, but I'm not buying into this everythings a sim all of a sudden, it's stupid from a programming POV as it's not only time consuming, but it seems that only a few programmers really know how to maximize the physics and FFB so as to allow for a car that drives well, especially at or near the limit.

I don't care if you like or buy pcars, and I suspect sales have been pretty good, bearing in mind that only 266k units needed to be sold to break even, and my guess it's probably done 2-4x that number, but don't lie or exaggerate about me when I tell the truth about a product you worship, either as a ego or $$$$$ thing.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.