PC1 Project Cars mostly hype? Your opinions

This thing has been hyped so much.
I swore I wouldn't buy another car game unless i tried a demo first. But like all the other sheep, I followed and purchased it.

Thus far it's been a massive disappointment
Played in: 4800x900 resolution
No driver's aids
Logitech driving force GT
DTM car at Spa
Default force feedback settings

*Little to no steering feel.- I don't feel like I'm driving on ice though.
*Arcade style driving (extremely forgiving) on the hardest settings.
*cockpit sides are stretched oblong
*BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS overall though.
*audio left alot to be desired.

Are either tracks accurate?
I compared DTM cars in R3E at Hockeheim & pCars at Hockenheim.
pCars seemed more difficult due to the shadows cast on the track, light reflections... so I had difficulty picking up some brake markers, but the track itself seemed easier to drive (less turning in corners), no tire squealing, basically turn the steering wheel according to the video on the screen - like an arcade game.

The cars were worlds apart.
R3E: you felt the weight transfer, heard the tires scrubbing then squealing as they lost grip, felt/heard the oversteer, the understeer.
pCars: I just hear alot of wind noise. or what sounds like wind noise.
Drive too fast? no problem in pCars just slam on the brakes mid-corner.
Drive too fast in R3E, slide off the track - tires squealing & screeching the whole way, then dig yourself out of the gravel.

Right now, my impression is that pCars is a better version of Grid Autosport.
Somewhere between Arcade and Sim - leaning more towards arcade.

Admittedly, I have optmized R3E and I was only in pCars for about half an hour and need to change fov, force feedback, and audio settings.

What's your impression of pCars to other games?

think its more down to other gmotor sims not handling low speed grip that well. Rf2s low speed grip is pretty unrealistic to me. You only have to dab the gas to spin a car in that!

and again people think that if its like that in rf2 or RBR it must be like that in real life..

Hi there, regarding physics and simulation level in Pcars?
Initially I was very disappointed, but after lots of forum reading and suggestions, I've changed many settings for my G27 and now it really feels completely different.. I would rate pCars as 90% simulation and 10% arcade, but unfortunately many cars are not as good as Others... don't know why.

I'm loving this game so far

p.s. Assetto Corsa is a better sim in terms of FFB and car Handling, but it lacks good AI, weather and more tracks
rFactor 2 is also better as sim, but I find it way too complicated to drive (most cars especially Marussia f1). It's overdone... it also has no career mode. what a shame!
GSCExtreme better also as sim, but with no weather and outdated graphics (no lighting at all). The Handling model and FFB are excellent and not as overdone as in rFACTOR 2

Since I have never driven the cars, I have no idea, but on some of the Pcars cars: DTM, GT3 I can come out of a relatively sharp corner with my wheel turned quite a bit and full throttle pedal to the metal(high RPMs) and not even slide. Sometimes it does, obviously, but sometimes I mess up the turn and think I am done and I keep on going fine.

To me that should easily spin me out with these type of cars, am I wrong?

TC is Off.

Maybe my differential settings.

This is not trying to knock Pcars....

Most of the sims represent the GT3 cars as having quite a lot of grip. RF2 feels like the least grip for these cars (except for the GT3 mods in RF2 which do have a lot of stick). But AC, iRacing and pCars all stick quite soundly when using fresh, hot tires at least. So sim developers seem to be nearly unanimous about this and it seems to mostly go along with the footage I've seen online.

DTM races I have seen show those cars have a lot of downforce in real life.

Most of the sims represent the GT3 cars as having quite a lot of grip. RF2 feels like the least grip for these cars (except for the GT3 mods in RF2 which do have a lot of stick). But AC, iRacing and pCars all stick quite soundly when using fresh, hot tires at least. So sim developers seem to be nearly unanimous about this and it seems to mostly go along with the footage I've seen online.

DTM races I have seen show those cars have a lot of downforce in real life.

I understand that, I am just saying in certain corners if I hammer on the gas "too early" and am mid to high rpms with a 500hp vehicle I just wonder if the result is accurate. I don't know....but my gut says not really.

I am still early in playing the game, so who knows, settings etc...

(...) after lots of forum reading and suggestions, I've changed many settings for my G27 and now it really feels completely different.. I would rate pCars as 90% simulation and 10% arcade, but unfortunately many cars are not as good as Others... don't know why.
(...)

I'm curious about your G27 settings. Mind sharing them? :)

Also, can you put into words what makes you feel Project CARS is 10% arcade? I know the devs are aiming for 100% sim, so whatever insights you can provide might prove useful.

Cheers!

Detailed physics engine of Shift3.
The most realistic of the past most realistic of all time racing/raining simulators.

For Shift4, Ian Bell can no longer claim more realism, okay, maybe 1 or 2% more realism, but that's it damn it!!!

Wtf does that video shows?that you can crash lot of time if you dont brake? (I see pCars is accurate simulating that). That If you turn off damage you crash a lot when you dont brake and the car doesnt break?

Im enjoying it, with the files for the ffb in my g27 feels lot nicer. Turn off aids, turn on damage, use a wheel and enjoy the game.

I love AC, but pcars give me another things, and doesnt feel arcade For me. But damn, maybe the rest of the world drive their cars full throttle and drive lpm1 and gt cars every day.

Maybe im not pretending a game to be matrix.

Detailed physics engine of Shift3.
The most realistic of the past most realistic of all time racing/raining simulators.

For Shift4, Ian Bell can no longer claim more realism, okay, maybe 1 or 2% more realism, but that's it damn it!!!

Ehh If You put Project Cars in full assist mode You get ARCADE handling auto brake etc etc

Just like if You put DCS Black Shark 2 in full assist mode you get ARCADE heli sim.

Just as intended.......:thumbsup:

I'm curious about your G27 settings. Mind sharing them? :)

Also, can you put into words what makes you feel Project CARS is 10% arcade? I know the devs are aiming for 100% sim, so whatever insights you can provide might prove useful.

Cheers!

read the second post on this page for the FFB settings and don't forget to set FFB strength to 50% in Logitech profile and everything else to 0:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...-pre-orders-available-in-europe.105211/page-2

so, you ask why 10% arcade?

because while driving a car in pCars, you still don't have enough feel of the car on the road, on the corners, the weight transfer is not evident enough... not so natural. Many cars are also too easy to drive and I'm not sure it's realistic, maybe I'm wrong! I take as Example Assetto and Game stock car Extreme

Last edited:
read the second post on this page for the FFB settings and don't forget to set FFB strength to 50% in Logitech profile and everything else to 0:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...-pre-orders-available-in-europe.105211/page-2

So basically you're judging the arcade aspect mostly on how you like the FFB and because a few cars behave 'oddly'? The FFB we can do something about, but it'd be nice if you could list which cars feel 'too easy to drive' to you.

And FWIW, as long as you tick "Allow Game to Adjust Settings" in Logitech Profiler, what you set the "Overall Strength" parameter to is irrelevant according to AJ* as it will be overridden by the in-game FFB setting per design.

Just saying. :)

*: AJ as in "the physicist and software developer who designed and implemented the pCARS FFB subsystem and tire model."

Last edited:
Is not just about ffb, but the cars tend to snap to center after losing the front end. For example you just lost it and you are facing 160º to either side, the snap back to center looks unrealistic. And if you try to PIT maneuver a car it will also snap back to center, not in all occasions I think. You are of course trying to correct when you lose the front end, but the way you regain straight control to the center, that part looks not that realistic.
And also, if the car crashes and gets some air or flips, it will be pulled to the asphalt with a higher force than gravity.

I understand that, I am just saying in certain corners if I hammer on the gas "too early" and am mid to high rpms with a 500hp vehicle I just wonder if the result is accurate. I don't know....but my gut says not really.

I am still early in playing the game, so who knows, settings etc...

Well... I just tried the Z4 GT3 and it is very sticky in pCars. But you should note that the default set up has a lot of rear wing on it. The default rear wing is set at 9 out of a maximum of 10. So if you dial that back to 3 or 4 you will loosen up the rear a bit.

As an example, default rear wing for the same car in AC is about 50% of maximum. It still feels grippy because it is a GT3 car afterall but the rear end dances a bit more at default in AC. But even at 50% in AC, once tires are warm the car has a lot of grip.

Well... I just tried the Z4 GT3 and it is very sticky in pCars. But you should note that the default set up has a lot of rear wing on it. The default rear wing is set at 9 out of a maximum of 10. So if you dial that back to 3 or 4 you will loosen up the rear a bit.

As an example, default rear wing for the same car in AC is about 50% of maximum. It still feels grippy because it is a GT3 car afterall but the rear end dances a bit more at default in AC. But even at 50% in AC, once tires are warm the car has a lot of grip.

Thanks. I haven't been able to mess with the differential too much yet...that may also be part of it. I have messed with the wing, but nothing intelligent for me to comment on. :)

I don;t think its a bad thing, but it does just feel a bit on the sticky side - For the cars I have driven.

This pretty much sums up my impressions about the game after 2 days.

dailystar.jpg

I managed to get the Karts just about playable after a lot of tweeking via some advice got by Inside Sim Racing ... and I think I will be able to erk out some fun doing the career mode .. and tweeking the FFB per car per track as I go through the career ... but unless they patch it substantially this game will eventually be a console only title that gets into a regular dick slinging contest with that other well known Hardcore Simulator.......................Forza

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 237 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.3%