PC1 Project Cars mostly hype? Your opinions

This thing has been hyped so much.
I swore I wouldn't buy another car game unless i tried a demo first. But like all the other sheep, I followed and purchased it.

Thus far it's been a massive disappointment
Played in: 4800x900 resolution
No driver's aids
Logitech driving force GT
DTM car at Spa
Default force feedback settings

*Little to no steering feel.- I don't feel like I'm driving on ice though.
*Arcade style driving (extremely forgiving) on the hardest settings.
*cockpit sides are stretched oblong
*BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS overall though.
*audio left alot to be desired.

Are either tracks accurate?
I compared DTM cars in R3E at Hockeheim & pCars at Hockenheim.
pCars seemed more difficult due to the shadows cast on the track, light reflections... so I had difficulty picking up some brake markers, but the track itself seemed easier to drive (less turning in corners), no tire squealing, basically turn the steering wheel according to the video on the screen - like an arcade game.

The cars were worlds apart.
R3E: you felt the weight transfer, heard the tires scrubbing then squealing as they lost grip, felt/heard the oversteer, the understeer.
pCars: I just hear alot of wind noise. or what sounds like wind noise.
Drive too fast? no problem in pCars just slam on the brakes mid-corner.
Drive too fast in R3E, slide off the track - tires squealing & screeching the whole way, then dig yourself out of the gravel.

Right now, my impression is that pCars is a better version of Grid Autosport.
Somewhere between Arcade and Sim - leaning more towards arcade.

Admittedly, I have optmized R3E and I was only in pCars for about half an hour and need to change fov, force feedback, and audio settings.

What's your impression of pCars to other games?

Just left PCars multiplayer. Sweet Mother of Chicken!
Race 1- Sonoma_Night
Race 2- Sonoma_Thunderstorm/Foggy
Race 3- Sonoma_Clear
Race 4- Hockenheim_Cloudy
Race 5_ Caldwell Park_Clear
This game is amazing. It is growing on me by leaps and bounds. It's even better when you race with cool people. Night racing is not gimmicky; it's a blast! Racing in the rain online is also fun, and challenging.
I refuse to argue which game is best, is it a sim, FFB this, FFB that. I don't care about all that nonsense! The game is fun. That's it in a nutshell. It's Fun. A few of you have said the same thing. I understand it now. It doesn't have to be anything other than what it is; Project Cars.

Swag

Race 1- Sonoma_Night
Race 3- Sonoma_Clear
This game is amazing. It is growing on me by leaps and bounds. It's even better when you race with cool people. Night racing is not gimmicky; it's a blast! Racing in the rain online is also fun, and challenging.
I refuse to argue which game is best, is it a sim, FFB this, FFB that. I don't care about all that nonsense! The game is fun. That's it in a nutshell. It's Fun. A few of you have said the same thing. I understand it now. It doesn't have to be anything other than what it is; Project Cars.

Swag

Not trying to be rude swag, but you're known as a casual gamer, as such, instant fun is your main aim along with the constant purchase of new games.
I only buy games that i strongly suspect are good/what i want.

Man, as some one who has just been getting into sim racing, you guys seem like a pretty <mod-edit: removed profanity> community. How many of you actually drive track cars to assert your authority on realism? (I know some do but I reckon most don't). Even when you're not bitching about Project CARS it'll be something like AC or or some other game that doesn't have analogous physics to rFactor

Last edited by a moderator:
Race 1- Sonoma_Night
Race 3- Sonoma_Clear

Swag
I've had plenty of fun with Grid2. Fun racing, even with the A.I
But PCars wasn't marketed as a fun grid2 style of game. Games like rf2, gsce, ac, all had very good physics and ffb (and gamepad) controls at launch. This launch of pcars reminds of the launch of dirt rally. Some nice visuals and weather effects, but the ffb is the opposite of what is driving a car/race car. The front end loses and gain grip not that realistically, and is like it has an interior pivot force.

To the OP, no not hype, from my limited running so far i think it is awesome and with more running i think i will find that it will be my fave, i find AC bland and not immersive at all and rf2 dated in its look, and no i am not a casual racer who constantly purchases new games. None of us know what real race physics are like and i doubt that any purported sim could get even close. At the end of the day they are all games to entertain us and that is what project cars does for me.

Well yeah... I wouldn't trust some computer warrior who thinks he knows about driving physics because he puts in good laps on some sim. There is a reason why the developers get paid drivers to confirm the simulation is accurate and not some iRacing champion.
Paid drivers can also find some realism in gt, forza, toca, f1. Everyone can find, whether they drive real cars or not. These all simulate in some form a car with tyres.

But then is up to the computer engineers to have the best approach on implementing the physics of different components of a car and its tyres. All sim racing games receive input from real life drivers, to make sure that approach was good in theory, most devs have tried more race cars on a real track than we had. I trust much more a racing engineer with knowledge on computer engineer/science. At the end of the day, these know better how these things work.

Welcome to Sim Racing. :D

You get used to it after a while.
The majority of us are nothing like that, just a minority that post the same thing over and over and over on site after site after site. Makes it seem worse than it is, honestly. :)

Guys,
Lets chill:)
One guy comes in and says " this game is fun"
and thats enough to start a flame war with the usual "what would you know you dont drive in GP2".

Lets all have fun and one day we can organise to meet up as different gangs in GTA5, the Pcars brothers, the RF2 dudes, the AC Mob and we can shoot it out with machine guns.
Till then go inpeace and enjoy.

Yes personally I've always thought that Medal of Honour European Assault had the most accurate ballistics. I heard that they actually paid Andy McNab to do some testing. But its not for casual noobs especially with no assists.
Anyone who says otherwise is a fanboy or a casual.
LOL, cs:global offensive has the best bullet and grenade physics, as well as weapon animations.

After 12 Hours in game these are my thoughts.

Pro's
Nice Graphics without too much messing around to achieve a decent look.
Big Grids
Weather
Day/Night cycle etc.
Decent sounds
A Career mode!

Con's
FFB is just a absolute mare, there are lots of opinions out there mine included but opinions are like arseholes everyone has one. There is no definitive ffb setup for a particular wheel or car. This is typical from Slightly Mad everyone of there games regardless of wheels or on a pad is just ridiculous. I have spent more time fannying around in the FFB settings than racing, never mind actual car setup.

After getting the FFB right the ability to then use your setup in the career is sometimes broken as it can break the gear ratio settings (at least it has for me).

After a coming together with the AI they never lose out but you end up in the kitty litter.

AI too aggressive in practice and qualy they think they are racing and will not get out the way or relinquish a position.

There is no way I should be able to get through Eau Rouge flat in BMW M1.

Conclusion
I expect a new game to have bugs and glitches but for me the game is neither pick up and play nor is it a sim. At the moment it is in no mans land.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.