PC1 Project CARS GOTY Edition Revealed + DLC Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
PCARS - GOTY.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have announced their best selling PC, PS4 and Xbox One racing simulator, Project CARS, is due to receive the Game of the Year treatment.

Releasing in 2015 to much fanfare, Project CARS has both amazed and confused its many followers with some truly sublime moments, occasionally tainted with disappointing issues which many feel really shouldn't happen in a modern, highly tested, multi-platform title.

However despite a troubled birth, the team over at Slightly Mad Studios have worked tirelessly to bring about a heavy list of updates, fixes, feature enhancements and content to finally bring the game up to a level that richly deserves its place in the sim racing marketplace.

Slated for a Spring 2016 release on all platforms, PCARS GOTY Edition will feature a total of 125 cars (an additional 50 from the initial release) and over 100 variations of 35 racing circuits from around the globe. Perhaps of most interest will be the addition of the endurance layout of one of the worlds most famous circuits - the fabled Nurburgring Nordschleife. The endurance layout allows drivers to race the full Nordschleife combined with the more recent Grand Prix circuit.

The Game of the Year release will also include updates which have been anticipated since the game launched back in 2015 (a mammoth 500+ features and improvements) and over 60 community-created liveries to compliment the paint schemes already available with the studio created content.

Game of the Year Edition Trailer
RaceDepartment has a vibrant Club Racing scene for Project CARS across all three platforms, don't forget to have a look and join your fellow sim racers out on track in a number of car and circuit combinations. Why? Because racing is more fun when you test your skills against your fellow sim racers!

PCARS RUF.jpg PCARS - US Car Pack.jpg PCARS Aussie V8s 2.jpg PCARS Brands Hatch.jpg PCARS Brno.jpg PCARS Corvette US Car Pack.jpg PCARS Bathurst.jpg PCARS Donington Park.jpgPCARS McLaren F1.jpg

Will the proposed GOTY Edition of Project CARS tempt those of you who are still without a copy of the game? If not, what do you think PCARS needs to do to make a purchase attractive to you? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming back to the actual purpose of this thread.... The Steam GOTY bundle offers a 40% reduction on all DLC packs which you don't yet own, making it very easy to simply click "buy" for the bundle and get all remaining DLC at 40% price off, including the latest one with the combined Nurburgring 24h layout and Paganis.

Personally I think pCARS is plenty good enough to enjoy. After all, no simulator is perfect enough to use as the only simulator you would ever need, so why not buy them all and enjoy the good points.

I bought all of the DLC excluding the Nurburgring one a matter of days before the GOTY edition was released, I was so gutted. If I was to wait an additional 3 days I could have saved a good £15. DAYM. :(

Your point is great Skazz; buy every racing game in existence, but to guarantee that you'll love a racing game, just merge them altogether into one, and then fans of every racing genre will be happy! ;)

Your point is great Skazz; buy every racing game in existence, but to guarantee that you'll love a racing game, just merge them altogether into one, and then fans of every racing genre will be happy! ;)
Of course they won't be happy. If a game was to deliver every feature from all current sims, including amazing netcode, physics, graphics, car and track list there would still be plenty of guys complaining.

E.g. Why doesn't it include my local club track? Why don't we have Andros-style ice racing? Why did you leave out the hail storm weather effect? Why do we only have 5 cars from the 1962 F3 grid? We need simulated marshals for blue and yellow flags on the official marshal posts! The laser scan is from last year and missing something which changed last week!

The trouble is they only got investors that normally play console games and hence the style of racing game that was developed.

Hm? During pCARS' 3.5 year dev cycle, we only got to play the game on the PC. Some of the users were both PC and console racers, but I believe the majority were PC sim-enthusiasts who also played other PC sims (like the developers themselves). I for one have never owned a console and I don't see myself acquiring one in the next 3-5 years either.

When I fire up pCARS, I only do short, 10 lap-ish sprint races against the AI so I'm not in a position to comment on MP or League use. But given the feedback I've seen since release, there are clearly some fairly annoying warts in these areas (and elsewhere) that will need to be addressed properly for pCARS 2, if they for some reason cannot be rectified in pCARS 1 due to early design decisions that now represent a too significant technical debt in a relatively mature product (in terms of its position in the marketplace and the potential ROI of such changes).

But I think this horse has been dead for a long time now, so there is little sense in clubbing it any further. :)

After initial sales there's no ROI for bigger changes.
But that's only true if you are unable to look into the future.

Do you think people would even bother with AMS / Reiza17 if they would have stopped updating GSCE and adding more content for free to it?

There are 2 business models in the video game industry:
* Marketing sells games
* Loyalty sells games

If your marketing budget is in the 2 digits millions then you don't need to care about loyalty or gameplay-depth. Just create a working product with enough bling bling and your marketing department will sell it for you. (That's your generic AAA game of the past 5 years)

If your marketing budget is small you need to work with the community, please them, communicate with them and your game needs to be the game you yourself want to play so you go that extra distance and add all the cool features to your baby instead of asking for a ROI.

So if you simply drop MP/league features, keep AI in a horrible state, accept that physics are wonky you can be pretty sure that the sequel will perform worse than your current game.
As stated above you don't need to care about that with a multi-million marketing budget, but i personally prefer that money to be spent on improving the game rather than creating some flashy trailers with a hollywood star in it...

So if you simply drop MP/league features, keep AI in a horrible state, accept that physics are wonky you can be pretty sure that the sequel will perform worse than your current game.
As stated above you don't need to care about that with a multi-million marketing budget, but i personally prefer that money to be spent on improving the game rather than creating some flashy trailers with a hollywood star in it...

I don't disagree. Personally, I'd like to see pCARS 2 attract customers on merit, not advertisement.

I just hope that people will try to be unbiased and judge pCARS 2 on its own qualities, not those of pCARS 1 for instance.

And while I can't go into any detail, it seems abundantly clear to me that the weaker areas in pCARS 1 are getting some serious attention in the ongoing development of pCARS 2.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back