PC1 Project CARS GOTY Edition Revealed + DLC Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
PCARS - GOTY.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have announced their best selling PC, PS4 and Xbox One racing simulator, Project CARS, is due to receive the Game of the Year treatment.

Releasing in 2015 to much fanfare, Project CARS has both amazed and confused its many followers with some truly sublime moments, occasionally tainted with disappointing issues which many feel really shouldn't happen in a modern, highly tested, multi-platform title.

However despite a troubled birth, the team over at Slightly Mad Studios have worked tirelessly to bring about a heavy list of updates, fixes, feature enhancements and content to finally bring the game up to a level that richly deserves its place in the sim racing marketplace.

Slated for a Spring 2016 release on all platforms, PCARS GOTY Edition will feature a total of 125 cars (an additional 50 from the initial release) and over 100 variations of 35 racing circuits from around the globe. Perhaps of most interest will be the addition of the endurance layout of one of the worlds most famous circuits - the fabled Nurburgring Nordschleife. The endurance layout allows drivers to race the full Nordschleife combined with the more recent Grand Prix circuit.

The Game of the Year release will also include updates which have been anticipated since the game launched back in 2015 (a mammoth 500+ features and improvements) and over 60 community-created liveries to compliment the paint schemes already available with the studio created content.

Game of the Year Edition Trailer
RaceDepartment has a vibrant Club Racing scene for Project CARS across all three platforms, don't forget to have a look and join your fellow sim racers out on track in a number of car and circuit combinations. Why? Because racing is more fun when you test your skills against your fellow sim racers!

PCARS RUF.jpg PCARS - US Car Pack.jpg PCARS Aussie V8s 2.jpg PCARS Brands Hatch.jpg PCARS Brno.jpg PCARS Corvette US Car Pack.jpg PCARS Bathurst.jpg PCARS Donington Park.jpgPCARS McLaren F1.jpg

Will the proposed GOTY Edition of Project CARS tempt those of you who are still without a copy of the game? If not, what do you think PCARS needs to do to make a purchase attractive to you? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ermo:
And how is it different from crowd funding? Because they put some of their money in, or because they have some investors from the start? It's pretty common for crowd funding projects. If you take almost 10K members of pCARS2 that put £75 in average, it's not that insignificant.

Anyways, thanks for actually confirming what I have said. Claiming that they let people in just to "help" them to make the game is not true. At the end people have only little impact - see pCARS1 UI disaster and what WMD members proposed since the first day.

I especially love those moves they make on the start of the race, oh boy...
Combined with all famous "CPU occupancy >99%" message... makes me want to, somehow, skip the starts and join the races somewhere around lap 2... or 3 or.... never.

When this happened to me a while back, I took a suggestion to alter "power management" or some similar setting to the "moderate" or "balanced" power setting, or something like that, and it went away for me. Hopefully that will help you.

It is with great shame that I have to vote "I already own it".

Then again, I got 90€ in return for my 45€ investment from the kickstarting campaign.
Same here. I feel so dirty. Especially when my friends are the poor souls who got ripped off and aren't eligible for a refund anymore.

Oh well. At least that's 90€ some scumbag who actually thought this was a good idea isn't getting I guess. :p

I have 170 hours in Pcars and have no problem with the physics.Physics are just a personal perspective.But I don't race online,I prefer racing the AI.And that is where it fall's down,the crazy AI.I don't even mind them cutting corners and using the grass,I just don't want to have to restart the race 10 times every race because they've completely wiped me out at a corner. Ac's AI may be dodgy,but it's much improved and destroys Pcars AI.SCE may look like a vastly improved Rfactor1 but the AI is superb and that also goes for Rfactor 2.I still go back to Pcars on occasion, but long sessions are long gone.

• Deleted member 130869

If a person likes pCARS, it's their decision. No one can take that away, and shouldn't. I know a few folks from a previous league who resorted to pC as their escape, and for them it made them feel great driving, something they could never achieve in the competitive leagues. You don't have to defend yourself for liking the game. The fights begin with unrealistic claims pushing certain areas of the game onto others.

@ermo:
And how is it different from crowd funding? Because they put some of their money in, or because they have some investors from the start? It's pretty common for crowd funding projects. If you take almost 10K members of pCARS2 that put £75 in average, it's not that insignificant.

Anyways, thanks for actually confirming what I have said. Claiming that they let people in just to "help" them to make the game is not true. At the end people have only little impact - see pCARS1 UI disaster and what WMD members proposed since the first day.

I had written a long post arguing my point but then I realized that nothing I say or do will make you trust SMS.

As Euripides says: "Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing."

In that vein, I guess "And how is it different from crowd funding?" is the right question. But not, perhaps, for the reason you think.

The other question one should probably ask is "apart from the obvious financial motivation to take on preorders, why would SMS bother to create a development forum, hire a community manager, create testing milestone tasks, create an issue tracking system, create a section dedicated to posting user ideas (and voting on them) and, to top it off, order their developers to painstakingly document their thoughts and progress on hither and yon feature when it would likely be much cheaper and more efficient to just develop the damn thing behind closed doors?!"

"You can't change people's minds. People change their own minds".
And with that fortune cookie, I'm off.

I had written a long post arguing my point but then I realized that nothing I say or do will make you trust SMS.

As Euripides says: "Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing."

In that vein, I guess "And how is it different from crowd funding?" is the right question. But not, perhaps, for the reason you think.

The other question one should probably ask is "apart from the obvious financial motivation to take on preorders, why would SMS bother to create a development forum, hire a community manager, create testing milestone tasks, create an issue tracking system, create a section dedicated to posting user ideas (and voting on them) and, to top it off, order their developers to painstakingly document their thoughts and progress on hither and yon feature when it would likely be much cheaper and more efficient to just develop the damn thing behind closed doors?!"

"You can't change people's minds. People change their own minds".
And with that fortune cookie, I'm off.
You have a lovely writing style ermo,very posh.

Do you realize that almost everything you have mentioned is a standard in common development? Or do you think that if there wouldn't be WMD they wouldn't have internal issue tracking system, milestones or they wouldn't have design documents? And because majority of the team is located outside the UK, they would have forum not very different from the WMD.

And based on what I have been a witness of in the last months before release on WMD1 and shortly after release on the official forums, I have learned that some people in SMS cannot be trusted.

Do you realize that almost everything you have mentioned is a standard in common development? Or do you think that if there wouldn't be WMD they wouldn't have internal issue tracking system, milestones or they wouldn't have design documents? And because majority of the team is located outside the UK, they would have forum not very different from the WMD.

And based on what I have been a witness of in the last months before release on WMD1 and shortly after release on the official forums, I have learned that some people in SMS cannot be trusted.

You haven't got access to the pCARS 2 development forum, do you? Would you believe me if I asserted that it is a very different place compared to the pCARS 1 development forum?

Because the pCARS 2 title was fully funded from the outset, there are more developers on-board and this shows clearly. And crucially, the community manager (who was recruited from the pCARS 1 community) is doing an excellent job communicating what SMS are up to and managing overall expectations -- likely because he has a rather decent idea of what it was like to be outside the fence during pCARS 1 and wanted to help improve the community process as such. He's also put in place proper processes for reporting and tracking bugs across the forum <-> internal bugtracker and he's helped guide the development of the suggestion feature.

So, again, are you sure you're asking the right questions?

No, I'm not member of pCARS2. The community manager - is it Elmo? If so, then there is a faith things can get better, since he was doing great job before. Anyway, in few years we will see if Bell has learned something from pCARS1 or just the story will repeat.

Yes, it is indeed Elmo. And yes, I think you're converging on the most interesting question (have SMS learned something from pCARS1). On the evidence available so far, I'm inclined to think they have indeed.

But as you say, only time will tell.

Thanks for being willing to engage with me and consider my points fairly and constructively. I couldn't ask for more. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yes, it is indeed Elmo. And yes, I think you're converging on the most interesting question (have SMS learned something from pCARS1). On the evidence available so far, I'm inclined to think they have indeed.

But as you say, only time will tell.

Thanks for being willing to engage with me and consider my points fairly and constructively. I couldn't ask for more. :thumbsup:
I always enjoy your comments ermo.You manage to diffuse the tension.:thumbsup:

I bought a crewpit app which adds an audio spotter to the game and I have to say I have enjoyed it, the physics seem better when you tweak each car individually ... its pretty .. it can be fun .. but ultimately as a sim if falls short lets be honest

So any company can deem their game, Game of the Year without earning said merit?

Of course they can. They also claimed it will be the race sim of all sims. The best of the best. :thumbsup:

It's not a bad game though, I enjoy it for some hot lapping action and screenshot making fun. Love the British tracks.

Last edited:
I only recently retried pCars, since update 10. Now it is my favorite between the 3 PC sims. They have got the game working next to perfect. I don't do the career so can't speak for it. With the addition of the ability to make your own grids mod, and adding modded missing car brands. I think I'll have it on my HD for a while. It's longevity death will be it's lack of new tracks. Unless someone can figure out how to add them like they've done with cars?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back