PC1 Project CARS GOTY Edition Revealed + DLC Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
PCARS - GOTY.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have announced their best selling PC, PS4 and Xbox One racing simulator, Project CARS, is due to receive the Game of the Year treatment.

Releasing in 2015 to much fanfare, Project CARS has both amazed and confused its many followers with some truly sublime moments, occasionally tainted with disappointing issues which many feel really shouldn't happen in a modern, highly tested, multi-platform title.

However despite a troubled birth, the team over at Slightly Mad Studios have worked tirelessly to bring about a heavy list of updates, fixes, feature enhancements and content to finally bring the game up to a level that richly deserves its place in the sim racing marketplace.

Slated for a Spring 2016 release on all platforms, PCARS GOTY Edition will feature a total of 125 cars (an additional 50 from the initial release) and over 100 variations of 35 racing circuits from around the globe. Perhaps of most interest will be the addition of the endurance layout of one of the worlds most famous circuits - the fabled Nurburgring Nordschleife. The endurance layout allows drivers to race the full Nordschleife combined with the more recent Grand Prix circuit.

The Game of the Year release will also include updates which have been anticipated since the game launched back in 2015 (a mammoth 500+ features and improvements) and over 60 community-created liveries to compliment the paint schemes already available with the studio created content.

Game of the Year Edition Trailer
RaceDepartment has a vibrant Club Racing scene for Project CARS across all three platforms, don't forget to have a look and join your fellow sim racers out on track in a number of car and circuit combinations. Why? Because racing is more fun when you test your skills against your fellow sim racers!

PCARS RUF.jpg PCARS - US Car Pack.jpg PCARS Aussie V8s 2.jpg PCARS Brands Hatch.jpg PCARS Brno.jpg PCARS Corvette US Car Pack.jpg PCARS Bathurst.jpg PCARS Donington Park.jpgPCARS McLaren F1.jpg

Will the proposed GOTY Edition of Project CARS tempt those of you who are still without a copy of the game? If not, what do you think PCARS needs to do to make a purchase attractive to you? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear the investors are getting their money back and more, it looked a little dodgy for while when the FSA stepped in. I knew a few people who sank tens of thousands of pounds into the game and they couldn't afford to lose it, they've since stopped talking to me because I didn't like their game enough :( so I didn't know they were getting paid :)

Anyway, I won't be buying Project Cars twice particularly when they've already announced Pcars 2 and asked for more crowd funding for that.

and asked for more crowd funding for that.

Just to clarify: If you have followed the development of pCARS 2 then you should know that this was no crowdfunding at all but just an option demanded by former WMD members to get involved in the new development. SMS doesn't need any of this money to get the development for pC2 done as they have some big investors and the earnings from pC1 to get this done on their own. The money they took to get access to the development process was more like a fee to keep the group small and focused and to keep out all those that won't understand what "software and game development" means ...

Just to clarify: If you have followed the development of pCARS 2 then you should know that this was no crowdfunding at all but just an option demanded by former WMD members to get involved in the new development. SMS doesn't need any of this money to get the development for pC2 done as they have some big investors and the earnings from pC1 to get this done on their own. The money they took to get access to the development process was more like a fee to keep the group small and focused and to keep out all those that won't understand what "software and game development" means ...

They maybe don't need the money, but they for sure want them.

Because if the fee to be part of the development was just to keep non-serious people out, then they wouldn't make tiers starting from ~50 EUR to few hundreds (or more) with various "rewards". So they made it just another crowd funding, plain and simple. Only thing that prevents them from bringing more people in is dev-key count they can get from Steam.

Lol or not to lol, the question is now. :giggle:
Haters will always hate, take a look @ Justin Bieber. For an (perfect?) example. :rolleyes:
All I know is that I'm havin' absolute adrenaline balls-to-the-wall blast in open wheel career mode.
You can say whatever you want but you can not take that away from me.
My balls. My adventure.

Go Project CARS! And Go Pro. :D

Lol or not to lol, the question is now. :giggle:
Haters will always hate, take a look @ Justin Bieber. For an (perfect?) example. :rolleyes:
All I know is that I'm havin' absolute adrenaline balls-to-the-wall blast in open wheel career mode.
You can say whatever you want but you can not take that away from me.
My balls. My adventure.

Go Project CARS! And Go Pro. :D
I totally agree with you here! One guy might like this! one might like that! but when one starts to bash the other with untruths that's :rolleyes: just bull :poop:.
:whistling: Hey I am beginning to not mind Bieber again after he has been fixing his image. He always has had talent and I do listen to his music. I have a 13yr old daughter that sings so I have to listen to him, like him or not, I love listening to my daughter sing :inlove:

• no real configuration system
  • not even a useful and actual documentation of features and settings
  • no custom grid function
  • no custom livery function
  • no racing result system
  • no multiple racing setup
  • not an in any way useful replay system but instead totally broken save race, too

You actually do have racing result files though as well as documentation :) The configuration options using the LUA plugins are quite extensive, but there is some essential commands missing like restarting a session/weekend.

IMO the biggest problem is that dedicated servers are completely tied to the Steam networking API which goes down a lot more often than one might think and takes the whole server with it when it happens...

I definitely agree with your other points though.

Attachments

• GameGuide.pdf
    119.6 KB · Views: 3,202
  • UserGuide.pdf
    396.8 KB · Views: 651
  • ScriptingGuide.pdf
    677.2 KB · Views: 1,111
  • ServerTypes.pdf
    312.8 KB · Views: 2,908
Yes, thank you eSEA.
Funny thing, just yesterday I wathed "Roast of: Justin Bieber". It's quite cool, you should watch it. :)
And I forgot to say that I'm actually old school, I've seen everything, play them all. True story. :giggle:
For Gods sake I spent countless hours on frickin GRAND PRIX LEGENDS. And, I don't know if you're familiar with REAL SIMULATIONS but that's the one. It's almost impossible to stay on track on your own, and racing with other cars... oh boy... :confused:
Then F1 challenge, GTR 1 & 2, GT Legends, rFactor, Race 07, Live for speed, CART Precision Racing,... and some more games before I got my first wheel, I don't count them at all, cause I play them via keyboard.
But you can't always look for oh so true to life simulations, sometimes you just want to have fun. And look good while having it. :) And PCars has convincing handling to me and it look best of them all. Pure and simple.
I'm older now, can't really spend that much time staring at setup screen anymore (I wish I can turn back that time I've lost in setup screens of all those game from above) sometimes I just can aford ~20 minutes for some quickie. Racing I mean. :)
PCars isn't the closest to real life racing but, like it or not, it's the type of game the most [racing] gamers want. We read here many complains but those who like this game stay quiet any actually play damn game.
Neither game has it all: eye poping graphic, convincing handling, close racing, night racing, rain, changable weather. I really hate when I load race in Assetto and got that *hitty CPU ocupaccy > 99% or whatever... rFactor also has it's own FPS problems and look outdated and Reiza studios games although great games, look almost as same as rFactor. One.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

The majority of the vocal board members, myself included, may not like the game based on many different reasons - initial promise vs delivery, the guys in charge, changes, content alteration, platforms, etc - but the bottom line is: Ian Bell and a couple of larger investor made a big chunk of money and couldn't care less about anything that is or was said, or the actual quality of the game. SMS wins.

But on the bright side at least Assetto has a flawless artificial intelligence.
NOT.
I especially love those moves they make on the start of the race, oh boy...
Combined with all famous "CPU occupancy >99%" message... makes me want to, somehow, skip the starts and join the races somewhere around lap 2... or 3 or.... never. :-l

Last edited:
But on the bright side at least Assetto has a flawless artificial intelligence.
NOT.
I especially love those moves they make on the start of the race, oh boy...
Combined with all famous "CPU occupancy >99%" message... makes me want to, somehow, skip the starts and join the races somewhere around lap 2... or 3 or.... never. :-l
What system do you have? I have a moderate system:
SYSTEM: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Six Core
GPU: MSI AMD R9 280 3G GAMING 933 MHz 3072 MB
MOBO: AsRock 990FX Extreme 3 8A/ASR| AsRock 990FX Extreme 3 8A/ASR
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 /CMZ4GX3MA1600C9
PSU: LC Power LC6650GP3
Monitors: 3X 21.5" - 1X Samsung SMBX 2231 + 2X Philips 224E5QDAB/00, 1080p, 5760x1080 60Hz| WHEEL: Thrustmaster T300 + Ferrari 599xx EVO Wheel+ T3PA Pedals+ TH8A shifter

At one stage some versions ago I got the 99% thing but I never see it now even after adding more screens!
Let me tell you online real people can be worse than the AI. Well you can't do too much about the AI but your 99% maybe.
Well in PC it seems to me the AI are diffrent but the outcome is similar, they can also destroy a good race and also well in the race too, that sucks a bit more than at the start in AC. That to me is a lesser evil as you just have to restart without wasting laps , once you get through the start there is a race to be had. In PC if it happens I tend to loose it seeing all the time I have wasted and just give up and switch to either creating mind soothing graphics or have a blast in Dirt where it is just "Moi" (me for those non French translators) !
This is just my opinion and do understand everyone has their own.

They maybe don't need the money, but they for sure want them.

Because if the fee to be part of the development was just to keep non-serious people out, then they wouldn't make tiers starting from ~50 EUR to few hundreds (or more) with various "rewards". So they made it just another crowd funding, plain and simple. Only thing that prevents them from bringing more people in is dev-key count they can get from Steam.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. In my opinion, your opinion on the pricing of the tiers is not founded in reality. But apparently everyone is free to make stuff up as they go on the internet, so there's that.

From what I understand, £50 was chosen because it is effectively a preorder and because it is an outlay that merits at least a passing interest in seeing the title take shape. If you started out at £50 and like what you see, adding an extra £50 to your account gives you access to vote on game direction polls. As I understand it, the £100 tier is the 'real' development tier. The tiers above £100 IMHO make relatively little sense (as you don't receive dividends), but maybe that's just me.

And of course they want the money -- that's the whole point of commercial enterprise unless I'm mistaken? Ply your trade and exchange the artifacts (goods and services) you produce with others on the (more or less) free market and all that?

• Deleted member 130869

This topic is about Project CARS. Deflecting rightful criticism doesn't help the situation. Assetto will get flack too when the console version is released due to its lingering problems too.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back