Preview: DTM Experience by Simbin

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Preview: DTM Experience by Simbin

After visiting the Dutch round of the DTM series I was lucky enough to have a sneak peek at SimBin's newest racing project "DTM Experience" that will be released for PC this winter. Time for a little hands-on preview.

The last time I've played an official licensed DTM game was back in the days of Codemasters' DTM Race Driver 3 which wasn't particular a full blown sim. Apart from the car models, liveries, tracks and driver names it didn't offer me an experience like in DTM Race Driver...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:
Surprisingly good. I did a 1.34.4 with default setup and no assists (except auto clutch) in a short time. easy to learn. Most time i played with FFB settings though. the FFB feels a little bit too numb. the transition between driving on the limit and taking turns normal is a little bit too smooth and linear. the transition could take a little step when you get on the limit.

overall a great racing experience. if it has great online, i will buy it.

Yes. We've had few players reporting similar issues in the past. I believe there is an issue on certain systems with 8:5 / 16:10 aspect ratios. This is a bug on our end so my sincere apologies.

In the mean time, if you can, with some trial and error try various things such as changing the resolution. But I would first try to switch to window mode (can run full screen window mode as well), or vice versa if you actually were running window mode.

Open the same file, graphics_options.xml with notepad and change the value on line 7:

<custom type="bool">false</custom> false means it's windowed. If you set it to true it will be full screen.

Tried both settings as well as a bunch of screen resolutions...still no go.
Looks like I'll be waiting a while longer for a fix. Thanks for the assist.

Hi Warren, long time no hear. Bathurst is out in a couple of days at iRacing and if that is not a quality sim, what is?

G'day Eckhart, nice to catch up again.
Thanks for the heads up, I had decided from the start not to get IRacing, wasn't interested in the pay to race concept. But, maybe if the content ends up including things I like (eg. Bathurst and maybe appropriate cars), I might have a closer look. ;)

Hey Warren,
Have you not raced Bathurst in RFactor 1?
Its a very nice experience.
PS did you own a surf shop in Wollongong?

Thanks also David, I actually have rF1 somewhere but it's no longer on my PC, wasn't participating in on-line events in rF1. Might have another look. I was a bit disappointed that ORSM refused to allow any conversion of Bathurst to other Sims (eg. Race 07, GTL), and didn't want to install rF1 just for one track and not be able to race on-line here at RD.

Sorry, never owned anything in Wollongong, I'm actually a Queenslander (which probably explains a few quirks hey :p).

I've had my first test runs with the Demo, and I'm pretty impressed so far. Now I think I can see where RRE might be headed.
If the full series Sim is as good as the demo, it should be very worthwhile.
Getting the Controller settings right is key, and not easy, quite time consuming fine tuning it. Having some previous experience with RRE helps get to grips with the settings faster, so I was soon able to enjoy driving the 3 test cars in the Demo. The track quality is also first class, as has been all of the tracks in RRE.
Looking forward to seeing what the off-line Racing is like, hope the AI is up to a good standard. I'll assume multiplayer is quite a way off yet.

One minor question re the Demo, I assume the only way to view replays is using the quick replay button immediately after driving? Even though they are saved in My Documents, I assume you can't replay them later (or at least until the full game is released)?

About controller settings: it feels very weird at high speeds, almost a bit floating - i.e. it's very easy to make direction changes and there's no FFB when doing so, so it feels like the car disconnected from the road at this point.

Not nearly as bad as pCARS of course but I'm curious if I can fix this by changing my controller settings. Around 3:05 & 3:15 (down the back straight).

[medio]4706[/medio]

its not amazing but even set on auto it runs slow, ive got a intel q6600 quad core, nvidia gtx460, 6gb ram
Could it be that it's very CPU hungry? I have the same CPU in my older PC (server) but gfx-wise it only has a 9800GTX, so comparing won't help a lot. :)

Tom

@Tom Endres

Do you use the Thrustmaster f1 with the default controlset? because I don't experience the same as you.
I think it's the default controls - well, I customized some buttons but that's about it. Could you post screenshots of your wheel settings?

I didn't change things in Windows either but maybe we can compare settings from the control panel, too.

Tom

Here is mine

Might be still on ''Full" effects, but I always use low or medium.

Attachments

• F1 Wheel .rcs
    15.3 KB · Views: 267
  • T500 config.jpg
    T500 config.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I have a little of what Tom is describing, where the car feels almost disconnected from the road (that back straight to the hairpin is where it is most noticable). I'm using a Thrustmaster RGT Pro Clutch edition.

I like it though; I think it's a bit hard to get the wheel settings all right, and I need to spend even more time on it. But, I'll probably get this game if I can sort that wheel/car connection thing.

Guys, just to make sure.

I must put these in *:\Program Files (x86)\DTM Experience Demo\Game\GameData\ControlSet ?

Or in *:\Users\Stelios\Documents\My Games\SimBin\DTM Demo\UserData\ControlSet ?

Whats the correct folder :)

Some weird sh*t is happening , i put it in the game folder and then rename it and it just gets deleted and appears in the my documents folder. WTF !?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back