General Paid mods post your opinion

LOL yeah right, let me get this straight... then my 3D models have no commercial value because I don't pay Autodesk for using 3dsmax, neither my textures because I don't send payments to Adobe.... what kind of reasoning is that?

I've already paid for the software, the third party content I produce for and/or with it is my own responsibility so are the earnings I get from it. That's how the market works in this world.

But according to your reasoning, you buy a PC, you produce your own content with it to sell to a client or on a marketplace, and you'll pay royalties to the Chinese guy who put together the motherboard and Bill Gates for Windows? :roflmao::roflmao:

Same kind of wrong reasoning, different words. Not only we have to send payments to the creators of the software, but now we even have to ask permission... even though we already paid for it :roflmao:

Sorry, thought we were having a serious discussion but couldn't help to laugh at those concepts.
!!!! U so right man .:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I like paymods. I believe they make big projects possible with incredible detail without too much of a waiting time. I've put a lot of hours driving the RSS cars (damn worth it).

One thing I really don't like: Mods that are released as a beta for donators that never become a free mod in the end ( like some VRC cars). Its just misleading.

Maybe a tag Donationware, Payware would get less confusions, or a sub section on the modding section.
though the What are you working on is just a general thread, I love all modding methods, just free or payware, what ever, if it's worth then I'll try it, but as many modders said, they not always make pay mods, Daniel and many others usually release some mods with the same quality for free. And it's not they will make money for living out of these mods, come on, be realistic. They are even shareable after you buy them, and it is not piracy per se.
Maybe it's not a good practice but if I buy a mod and want to share it it's up to me, I guess.

And you can imagine yourself what happens here, when this case happens: A paid mod isn`t good, full of bugs and the one who offered it dissapears after taking the money without fixing it.
Then you are out a few dollars. Life goes on.
------------------------------------------
Maybe it's not a good practice but if I buy a mod and want to share it it's up to me, I guess.
Yep.

@A3DR I think it is OK till you aren't interfering with Kunos interests. But I think that even a free mods are interfering with Kunos interests..... So paid mod, free mod... there is no difference for Kunos basically, just for the user.

Whats up about 488 mod before 488 was officially released, whats up about recent Laguna Seca mod while it is know that official track is being developed. Despite both of these being very poor quality, they still disrespectfully getting in the way of Kunos.

I think you guys can be calm about classic F3 tracks and this F3 car, since it is a special content, and there is no chance to get in the way of Kunos with that.

Thats how I understand it.

Though Kunos have never said anything about it, just closed the modding subforums at the official forum :) And it is ok now.

AC1 seems heading towards an end of development, I wonder if it is going to be the time for mods to take over soon, if it is possible. There is so much great official content anyway.

I like the idea of modders earning some money basically, but it seems difficult. I dislike the utopia of everything being free, just like @stingray_SIX_TWO has posted about economics including few words quote from Milton Friedman

The reason this whole thread even began isn't mainly to discuss the paid mod thing, it's because the thread creator felt slighted somehow by providing some data to a modder (which apparently the modder didn't ask for nor actually used). How is this such a big deal? You want to "tag" payware mods in the what you are working for thread, because if you "help them", it's against your beliefs. What happens if you help a "free" mod that then never gets released? What happens if you help out some mod that doesn't get released that gets purchased by Kunos, and then released by Kunos? Are you expecting a royalty from Kunos then too cause of a forum post? And this whole thing about responsibility.. I've seen more responsibility from the teams/people I donated to than entire video game companies. You want to talk about responsibility to consumers, there are video game developers out there (i.e. No Man's Sky, various early access games, etc.) that delivered less on promises or produced poor content. If you buy a mod, the onus is on you to do your research and if it's trash to never buy from them again, just like video games.

Seriously folks, this whole debate is rather bizzare. If the time we spent debating and writing out these posts were spent on creating mods/content for the game instead, we'd be in a better place.

The best mods I've played for this game are all payware stuff, so clearly someone is buying them and they are here to stay. They can co-exist just fine with so-called "free" mods. There's like maybe 2 or 3 people I've noticed so far that had an issue in the "what you are working for thread" (over bizzare reasons like I described above), not majority of this websites forum users. Give it a rest and let's stop arguing about it.

The reason this whole thread even began isn't mainly to discuss the paid mod thing, it's because the thread creator felt slighted somehow by providing some data to a modder (which apparently the modder didn't ask for nor actually used). How is this such a big deal? You want to "tag" payware mods in the what you are working for thread, because if you "help them", it's against your beliefs. What happens if you help a "free" mod that then never gets released? What happens if you help out some mod that doesn't get released that gets purchased by Kunos, and then released by Kunos? Are you expecting a royalty from Kunos then too cause of a forum post? And this whole thing about responsibility.. I've seen more responsibility from the teams/people I donated to than entire video game companies. You want to talk about responsibility to consumers, there are video game developers out there (i.e. No Man's Sky, various early access games, etc.) that delivered less on promises or produced poor content. If you buy a mod, the onus is on you to do your research and if it's trash to never buy from them again, just like video games.

Seriously folks, this whole debate is rather bizzare. If the time we spent debating and writing out these posts were spent on creating mods/content for the game instead, we'd be in a better place.

The best mods I've played for this game are all payware stuff, so clearly someone is buying them and they are here to stay. They can co-exist just fine with so-called "free" mods. There's like maybe 2 or 3 people I've noticed so far that had an issue in the "what you are working for thread" (over bizzare reasons like I described above), not majority of this websites forum users. Give it a rest and let's stop arguing about it.
That´s your personal sight.

If you don`t like the thread and the discussion, it´s the same like if you don`t like a mod or anthing else - just leave it, don`t read it, don´t post a thing(it only costs your precious time), you´re not forced to take part - but let the other interested users go on with their thing.;)

A little bit more tolerance please, freedom of speech is a high good, not available for everyone on this planet.

Last edited:
I guess in the 9 pages of rants this issue should have been discussed already, and will probably just go on repeat, and with ego battles.....

Anyone is wise enough to make a resume ?

I guess in the 9 pages of rants this issue should have been discussed already, and will probably just go on repeat, and with ego battles.....

Anyone is wise enough to make a resume ?
I would be happy if we can find a minimum common sense, everybody can live with.

[QUOTE="A3DR
Not only we have to send payments to the creators of the software, but now we even have to ask permission... even though we already paid for it
Obviously those are completely different, if you think about it for a second.
Anyway, couldn't care less - carry on.

Bought one pay mod from URD, not bad but a little short of Kunos quality.

Last edited:
Donationware - I'm going to go into a bit more depth on this word, because I see the word 'donation' thrown around too much by some modders. For the mods offering upgrades or early access for donation, what you are actually doing is selling your mod. I know you like to think you are being sneaky, attempting to get around either tax laws or subverting customer expectations, but you are SELLING a product.

For anyone who has the horrible Cobra Group operating in your country (most countries), you'll see those guys in the mall who are offering donations to various charities, and in return you'll get a pin/raffle ticket or something similar. They call those donations, but they are selling in every legal sense.

For those hiding parts of a mod behind a 'donation', or indeed the whole thing, please reconsider your terminology. You are lying to everyone by claiming to be a donation. You are not a charity, you are acting as a business. Make sure you are paying appropriate taxes, reporting income, paying fee's etc. And most importantly, stop lying to people.

For free mod's, a donation button is acceptable (IMO). Local laws may require this to declared still though

Seems the best way to get this thread back on track is to answer the questions in post #1.
Paid mods are controverse discussed.

Are the something you appreciate or not?

If I think the mod is of sufficient quality and the price is reasonable then yes. If I think the mod is of poor quality or is too expensive then I pass. I don't think the modding scene will implode just because a few modders are asking for a small remuneration for their time and effort.

I've already paid for the platform then why shouldn't I pay for any addition content? It's an unrealistic expectation to ask people to spend their (often considerable spare) time and effort into creating something for free.

What about the copyrights problem by using some elses copyrights or another ones work for free to make your own paid content? What about copyrights owners permissions?

If the copyright owner gives their permission and is made fully aware of the use of their work in a payware mod, then OK. If not, then it's plagiarism and is absolutely not OK.

Do they have to be marked as commercial content?
I.O. to protect those of us from providing paid mods with their work and ressources that are not marked as commercial content.

Yes. Clarification is important and it would avoid any misunderstanding between parties.

Is it advertising for a paid product, putting them into threads like these : what are you working on

I think a section of the forum should be categorised as paid mods. This would avoid confusion in WIP threads and any off topic discussions regarding payware etc.

What are the long term consequences?

The games I've purchased will be further enriched by content provided by modding groups and they will be remunerated for their efforts.

Or I can just enjoy my software with the free content that's available.

Donationware - I'm going to go into a bit more depth on this word, because I see the word 'donation' thrown around too much by some modders. For the mods offering upgrades or early access for donation, what you are actually doing is selling your mod. I know you like to think you are being sneaky, attempting to get around either tax laws or subverting customer expectations, but you are SELLING a product.

For anyone who has the horrible Cobra Group operating in your country (most countries), you'll see those guys in the mall who are offering donations to various charities, and in return you'll get a pin/raffle ticket or something similar. They call those donations, but they are selling in every legal sense.

For those hiding parts of a mod behind a 'donation', or indeed the whole thing, please reconsider your terminology. You are lying to everyone by claiming to be a donation. You are not a charity, you are acting as a business. Make sure you are paying appropriate taxes, reporting income, paying fee's etc. And most importantly, stop lying to people.

For free mod's, a donation button is acceptable (IMO). Local laws may require this to declared still though
My personal opinion is ,
If you spend 12hrs a day 7 days a week for 6-7-8 weeks non stop and you have created a work of art and its flawless ingame with zero bugs , no issues ,
then at that point after you have created something and its finished ,
then my opinion is at this point its fine to sell ,
if this is your way of doing things , which mine is ,

I dont agree with this , hey guys we are making a car its at 0.1 get access by donating to us and then get invited to a special site or forums or something strange ,

If you create a business from scratch and create a shop and your selling polished finished products ,
to me this is fine ,
its also fine to create free content in which I have created 100,s of projects ,
helped 100,s of people in my spare time ,
added over 50 cars into AC personal and community projects ,
spent countless hrs teaching people settings and ways to better there work ,
I am no freeloader , I am passionate and will help anyone who asks always have done ask anyone ,

but some of these tactics I dont agree with too , but again its non of my business , I keep my nose out and enjoy life :D

Seems the best way to get this thread back on track is to answer the questions in post #1.
its a typo though ,
so if you ask me that question , Id say I simply dont understand what your asking ,
but if you was to ask ...

Are they something you appreciate or not?

I would say yes ...:)

My personal opinion is ,
If you spend 12hrs a day 7 days a week for 6-7-8 weeks non stop and you have created a work of art and its flawless ingame with zero bugs , no issues ,
then at that point after you have created something and its finished ,
then my opinion is at this point its fine to sell...
For 9 months. And not done yet :geek:

So nice to see people like you, who appreciate the hard work and dedication.
I appreciate everything always have ,
I just always write the wrong things and people take me the wrong way , every time ,
its an english only forum and maybe 80% of people are not english , so comes across wrong what I say ,
but some people get me lol but not most :D
but theres nothing better than a quality mod , free or not .

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back