General Paid mods post your opinion

2hdxrb5.jpg

My 2 old pence ...

Let the market (downloaders) decide. If a mod maker / group decides that a mod be available payware, after contacting the copyright owners for permission etc *, then they should be free to do so. If plenty of people pay for the work then that's all good and if not then it's a lesson learnt.

* This is the important bit for payware imho. Giving away a labour of love for free is in the spirit of free expression but once it becomes a commercial project the the legal side needs to be 100% above board.

Oh well, it's time to post an opinion.
So, this time, after DRM pack, VRC released new paid mod with cars and tracks. I don't want to talk about the quality of the mod itself, instead I'm focalizing about the new path RaceDepartment is trying to go.
Basically we have just seen paid mods having a better spotlight than "normal" mods (with the exception of Seat TCR) and in the product page we see a redirect link to a seller like Sellfy etc.. In short, RD seems to encourage the making of paid mods among its database of free resources, whether it's good or bad. I'm really worried about customer support and missing (and impossible) refund systems that makes paid mods uncomfortable and very risky.
If current situation doesn't changes in the better I should considering to watch out other websites in order to guarantee my customer rights. I hope we don't get into this.

I do not receive refund when I order a pizza (or anything) of poor quality, I simply stop buying at that store.
The solution is pretty simple: Not paid mods but donationware (paypal or patreon) that encourage people to give money if the mod is very good. Why I should pay something if I don't know if it can keep my expectations? Paid is not always synonymous of Quality
And yes, your advice is very good :thumbsup:

The solution is pretty simple: Not paid mods but donationware (paypal or patreon) that encourage people to give money if the mod is very good. Why I should pay something if I don't know if it can keep my expectations? Paid is not always synonymous of Quality
And yes, your advice is very good :thumbsup:

You can always read about the quality of the mod to build your own opinion and to decide whether to buy or not to buy. Even in Iracing there’s no possibility to receive a refund afaik.

Donations are also a good idea but from what I read they tend to be not that profitable because many people think ”But it’s a free mod, why pay for it?«

I don't really agree with paid mods. Ever since the dawn of racing game mods, it has always been free, from the early days of NFS 3 modding in the late 90s, all through rFactor 1, the beginning of rFactor 2, it was so good like communities sharing freely and being happy. But now, being the 2010s, the decade of mass greed, someone making addons for Assetto Corsa thought "You know what, I can make money off this", and the cancer is spreading to other people and other games.

Sure some addons are as good as official content, and I'm good with donating and have no problem with that, but not buying an unofficial unlicensed mod/addon made by Billy in his computer room. Get a job.

Not to mention it's illegal to make money off somebody else's brand.

Not sure what influenced this attitude, but it's infesting the planet and it's cancerous. Not just talking about mods anymore, everybody just seems to be obsessed with money these days.

I look forward to not reading replies to this post because it'll probably be another month until I load this site again lmao

I don't really agree with paid mods. Ever since the dawn of racing game mods, it has always been free, from the early days of NFS 3 modding in the late 90s, all through rFactor 1, the beginning of rFactor 2, it was so good like communities sharing freely and being happy. But now, being the 2010s, the decade of mass greed, someone making addons for Assetto Corsa thought "You know what, I can make money off this", and the cancer is spreading to other people and other games.

Sure some addons are as good as official content, and I'm good with donating and have no problem with that, but not buying an unofficial unlicensed mod/addon made by Billy in his computer room. Get a job.

Not to mention it's illegal to make money off somebody else's brand.

Not sure what influenced this attitude, but it's infesting the planet and it's cancerous. Not just talking about mods anymore, everybody just seems to be obsessed with money these days.

I look forward to not reading replies to this post because it'll probably be another month until I load this site again lmao
You do realise much of the same people who are producing paid mods are also the ones producing the best free mods? Why would they do that if they were 'obsessed with money'?

Also the reason why there was much less in the way of paid mods in 'the good old days' was because the time investment to create something 'good' back then compared to now is completely different.

These days if you want to create something on par with official content its either going to take a lifetime if you do it as a hobby, or you can take time out of your working hours to create it in a more timely fashion. If you can afford to do that for free then thats great, though for others that has become their job or part of it. If you don't like it then thats fine, but no need to call someone working for a living 'greedy'.

Last edited:
I can see arguments for and against, to be honest.

I have paid for mods that, having bought and tried them, would either not have bought at all or don't feel they are worth the asking price.

I have paid for mods that I love and think are worth 2 or 3 times what was asked for them.

I have downloaded free mods that are better than some stock content or the best paid mods.

Really, it's just a gamble regarding quality. But then, I have spent more money on Kunos DLC that I have hardly used than I ever have on mods. I actually quite like the model that @Sergio Loro uses for his paid track mods. You get to download and try a stripped back version with very few visuals but a fully detailed physical mesh. Then, if you like the layout and quality, you can pay for the full version complete with all the visuals.

I wish pay-mod cars were like that. Release a free version with a super-low poly body but accurate physics. You get to drive it and feel what the handling / FFB is like. Then, if you like it, pay for the full model/physics/sound package. If not, delete and walk away.

I wish pay-mod cars were like that. Release a free version with a super-low poly body but accurate physics. You get to drive it and feel what the handling / FFB is like. Then, if you like it, pay for the full model/physics/sound package. If not, delete and walk away.
Thats quite interesting to think about, never seen or considered anything like that before.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%