General Paid mods post your opinion

Sorry if that wall of text looked arrogant and rude, it wasn't any of the purposes of what I was speaking of. And yes, my English isn't fluid as much as I would, so sorry x2 .

I'm trying to get worthy every euro I have and I don't think it's a bad thing, isn't it?
Well, 15€ in my country it's a meal for 2 men, so I tend to look deeply into reviews if is worth it.
It's a bad thing to put the responsibility on other people's shoulders...if you're trying to be careful with your money, wait for the people that aren't to produce reviews, videos, etc. (as already happens) and make your own educated decision. Nothing's forcing you to buy it, so saying that a place like RD needs to be changed just to make you feel more comfortable is fairly ridiculous.

I'm also quite confused about the first sentence in your other post..."There are other ways to get the same result without asking money to get a mod." That's objectively just incorrect...in three years of having one of the most popular mods for AC, IER has received donations amounting to around 1/30th of what a good pay mod will provide to its authors. Less than one-thousandth of the userbase donates. It doesn't work.

It's a bad thing to put the responsibility on other people's shoulders...if you're trying to be careful with your money, wait for the people that aren't to produce reviews, videos, etc. (as already happens) and make your own educated decision. Nothing's forcing you to buy it, so saying that a place like RD needs to be changed just to make you feel more comfortable is fairly ridiculous.
If it's comfortable for me, it's comfortable for everyone else when what I asked for is transparency and knowledge of the product I want to buy.

"Nothing's forcing you to buy it"

Yet, I don't understand this sentence. Mine it's a feedback, an opinion to RD staff about this current system and its flaws (that are real). I'm clever enough to know what to buy.
Thanks for your appreciation

I'm also quite confused about the first sentence in your other post..."There are other ways to get the same result without asking money to get a mod." That's objectively just incorrect...in three years of having one of the most popular mods for AC, IER has received donations amounting to around 1/30th of what a good pay mod will provide to its authors. Less than one-thousandth of the userbase donates. It doesn't work.

Fair enough, you got a point. This doesn't mean donationware model is to throw away.
IMHO, as a modder, I prefer if someone gives me money if my mod is good, rather then enforcing it.

But I understand that mine is an unpopular opinion.

I retired 9 years ago so I know about counting the pennies, so do as I do and wait for a few days till yt videos and buyers give their opinions.
If we did as you suggest I think we would soon be accused of bias by any modder who didn't get a glowing review.
Plus I'm not sure that our's would be worth any more than the guys who regularly do reviews.

Jeez this “should I spend 10 bucks on fanmade additional content for a game“ discussion meanwhile has moved into an almost political direction. I wait for the first one to ask the members of the opposite site of either reading The Grapes Of Wrath or Atlas Shrugged.

But as long as you don't buy unpolished rF1 convertations... :rolleyes:

The solution is pretty simple: Not paid mods but donationware (paypal or patreon) that encourage people to give money if the mod is very good. Why I should pay something if I don't know if it can keep my expectations? Paid is not always synonymous of Quality
And yes, your advice is very good :thumbsup:
Do you get a sample before you buy your pizza? Or even better, do you choose to pay or not to pay for it at the end?

Do you get a sample before you buy your pizza? Or even better, do you choose to pay or not to pay for it at the end?

No, but you get small samples of cheese, or rustic breads in supermarkets, or testers for perfumes and aftershaves in department stores, because they realise that sometimes assurances of quality are not always enough - sometimes you need to 'try before you buy' as everyone's tastes differ. Those are the shops that I value more highly than those that simply say 'No one forced you to buy it'.

No, but you get small samples of cheese, or rustic breads in supermarkets, or testers for perfumes and aftershaves in department stores, because they realise that sometimes assurances of quality are not always enough - sometimes you need to 'try before you buy' as everyone's tastes differ. Those are the shops that I value more highly than those that simply say 'No one forced you to buy it'.
Valid point, but in that regard most modders that do paid mods nowadays have pretty much all released a free mod before, so you can at least have an idea of the quality level you can expect. When I buy a mod with a 'big' modders name on it nowadays, I pretty much know what to expect.

Anyway, didn't want to start the old argument again, just the point I quoted sounded a little weird to me.

I bought some of RSS mods which are the first and last paid mods for me. They are pretty good in quality, but the lack of online use make them a lot less attractive.

10€ for 2€ discount? I see the deal :D

As a matter of fact you get 8.15 euro worth of discount on a 10 euro membership and the discount on other things in the future will only grow when other simracing products and other relevant items are added.

On top of that our premium membership gives you an ad free browsing experience, access to leagues and daily races and a whole lot more. Plus you are helping to pay for the monthly server bill that has 80 terabyte of traffic last month and with almost 40% of our visitors blocking our only source of income with adblockers we are super happy with the help we get from our premium members.

We are a 100% independent website and have no game developers paying our bills, buying us NASCAR rides, etc. As a matter of fact we don't earn a single penny on DRM, RSS, and now VRC sales either. These hardworking modding teams have been giving a free deal with our only question was to give our supporting premium members a small discount. And yes two or three or so persons became premium on top of the usual ones this week. Epic deal, I bought a new boat immediately.

Please lets make a deal here. Never upgrade your account to premium, not now and also not in the future when we will be helping the community getting awesome deals on hardware, real life races, trip etc. Instead please be consistent and make sure to fuel threads with how unfair it is from an independent website to help out the community.

Back to the topic. I think modding needs a payware section nowadays. People still living in the old days of simracing 10 years ago have missed a lot of developments. Modding life was easier back then, less complicated than it is today I have been told. We fear that without payware mods some teams will stop to exist eventually as real people can't deal very well with busting their asses for 1600 hours releasing a mod for free and then being shat on by a few individuals on social media, forums and who knows where.

Secondly and we will go more in depth on this in the coming year, we need to give a push for more 100% original content as well. Back in the days there were more scratch build projects than nowadays. Time management is one thing. Copyrights and trademarks can be a second important thing.

I can totally imagine a modder or a team making a 100% fantasy track from scratch (no real life resemblance) and he or she can sell it to the community in exchange for a micropayment (a few cents like with paid apps in the appstore). It will motivate those who mod creative, and the community can't really complain when a fun mods gives you a few hours, days, weeks of fun in exchange for 50 cents.

But more on that later. I don't think this particular thread is the right place to discuss this on page 12.

I retired 9 years ago so I know about counting the pennies, so do as I do and wait for a few days till yt videos and buyers give their opinions.
If we did as you suggest I think we would soon be accused of bias by any modder who didn't get a glowing review.
Plus I'm not sure that our's would be worth any more than the guys who regularly do reviews.
Lucky you :)

As a matter of fact you get 8.15 euro worth of discount on a 10 euro membership and the discount on other things in the future will only grow when other simracing products and other relevant items are added.

On top of that our premium membership gives you an ad free browsing experience, access to leagues and daily races and a whole lot more. Plus you are helping to pay for the monthly server bill that has 80 terabyte of traffic last month and with almost 40% of our visitors blocking our only source of income with adblockers we are super happy with the help we get from our premium members.

We are a 100% independent website and have no game developers paying our bills, buying us NASCAR rides, etc. As a matter of fact we don't earn a single penny on DRM, RSS, and now VRC sales either. These hardworking modding teams have been giving a free deal with our only question was to give our supporting premium members a small discount. And yes two or three or so persons became premium on top of the usual ones this week. Epic deal, I bought a new boat immediately.

Please lets make a deal here. Never upgrade your account to premium, not now and also not in the future when we will be helping the community getting awesome deals on hardware, real life races, trip etc. Instead please be consistent and make sure to fuel threads with how unfair it is from an independent website to help out the community.

Back to the topic. I think modding needs a payware section nowadays. People still living in the old days of simracing 10 years ago have missed a lot of developments. Modding life was easier back then, less complicated than it is today I have been told. We fear that without payware mods some teams will stop to exist eventually as real people can't deal very well with busting their asses for 1600 hours releasing a mod for free and then being shat on by a few individuals on social media, forums and who knows where.

Secondly and we will go more in depth on this in the coming year, we need to give a push for more 100% original content as well. Back in the days there were more scratch build projects than nowadays. Time management is one thing. Copyrights and trademarks can be a second important thing.

I can totally imagine a modder or a team making a 100% fantasy track from scratch (no real life resemblance) and he or she can sell it to the community in exchange for a micropayment (a few cents like with paid apps in the appstore). It will motivate those who mod creative, and the community can't really complain when a fun mods gives you a few hours, days, weeks of fun in exchange for 50 cents.

But more on that later. I don't think this particular thread is the right place to discuss this on page 12.
I have thought about this, if you buy the Premium at times of discount for 7,50 you actually make money (or have to spent less)

Every mod should be free
I agree.
While I do support donations for mods [and having extra perks for donors, like a special skin with the donor's name in it, or something], the "paid mods" fad is getting fairly ridiculous.

Just see at the skyrim's fiasco.
I do understand that these people are working hard on making these mods, putting their hearts and souls in it, but they should also remember that money don't grow on trees, and while they might be reasonable with the price tag (4 $ is pretty ok, in my opinion), some are also getting quite expansive. And also not everybody can afford to pay for each damn community-made DLC.
Jesus, I still have AC without any dlc, I can't afford anything. and is infuriating seeing that more and more people want to get paid for a track or a car,even if it's in a 8K resolution with physics out of this world. (especially because I won't be seeing that super-ultra hd graphics, because I have to play at very low or my pc will burn.) Also I won't be willing to pay 4$ for a track and another 4 for a car.

Plus some of them are pretty bugged (I saw a video with the DRM pack at a house's friend, and a AI car pretty much exploded while another didn't started up at all. It was like an online lobby with newbs. and this was at laguna seca raceway).
TL;DR: "use donations rather than forcing people to buy your mods, maybe add the donor's names somewhere in the mod. Not everyone can afford everything. And it gets especially frustrating when you can't go to any server because one's got the DLC, the other's got the Paid mods..."
(Especially because they're mods, the bigger work was already made by the game makers).
But that's my opinion
and because of that being a different opinion, I'll be waiting for thousands of mails telling me why I'm wrong and why I should probably kill myself in many different ways.

Last edited:
Many of those who are against paymods seem to be under the impression that without paymods, we'd have the all same stuff we have now, just without the monetary component? I'd wager that a lot of stuff simply wouldn't be here. There would be no RSS mods, nor would there be the Forumla NA or DRM packs. I'd rather have those things exist for money than not at all.

I don't want to pay for the mods because in my opinion, making a mod should be a pleasure instead of a business. And they don't have the licence, while the developers have. I think about the people who paid the URD 919 Hybrid, and a couple of months after, the official 919 Hybrid came on a DLC.

I agree.
While I do support donations for mods, the "paid mods" fad is getting fairly ridiculous.
Just see at the skyrim's fiasco. I do understand that these people are working hard on making these mods, putting their hearts and souls in it, but they should also remember that money don't grow on trees, and while they might be reasonable with the price tag (4 $ is pretty ok, in my opinion), some are also getting quite expansive. And also not everybody can afford to pay for each damn community-made DLC. (jesus, I still have AC without any dlc, I can't afford anything. and is infuriating seeing that more and more people want to get paid for a track or a car,even if it's in a 8K resolution with physics out of this world. [especially because I won't be seeing that super-ultra hd graphics, because I have to play at very low or my pc will burn.] Also I won't be willing to pay 4$ for a track and another 4 for a car.)

Plus some of them are pretty bugged (I saw a video with the DRM pack at a house's friend, and a AI car pretty much exploded while another didn't started up at all. It was like an online lobby with newbs. and this was at laguna seca raceway).
TL;DR: "use donations rather than forcing people to buy your mods, maybe add the donor's names somewhere in the mod." (Especially because they're mods, the bigger work was already made by the game makers).
But that's my opinion
and because of that being a different opinion, I'll be waiting for thousands of mails telling me why I'm wrong and why I should probably kill myself in many different ways.
I agree, the donations are a much better reward

I don't want to pay for the mods because in my opinion, making a mod should be a pleasure instead of a business.
What's the incentive to release it, then? I have fun with my mods well before anyone else gets to try them, and then once they're out I have to do free customer support forever.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back