General Paid mods post your opinion

My opinion to Paid Mods:

I saw right before my eyes what happened to the Modding Community when Paid Mods became a thing in the Bethesda Games. Now we have a split Community thanks to the abomination that is called "Creation Club".

As soon as money gets involved, thinks become a HUGE mess.

Don't get me wrong, things like Content Manager are worth every penny and i also own the Full Version of it.

BUT...

When i see stuff like the PX Mod from URD and their shenanigans with it, just makes me really uncomfortable.

The fact that there are still people out there supporting this group....is simply beyond me. :speechless:

Also, i have a tough time buying these paid mods for the simple fact, that almost no one is using them Online and driving against the AI leaves A LOT to be desired with these mods....

Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
As for paid mod regulations so to speak, Sergio loro's way of track making and previously similar way like A3DR honda prelude with no lods but same physics and other stuff I can't remember I'd say it works, you get to test the mod but some artistic limitations

I wish pay-mod cars were like that. Release a free version with a super-low poly body but accurate physics. You get to drive it and feel what the handling / FFB is like. Then, if you like it, pay for the full model/physics/sound package. If not, delete and walk away.
People can easily think that is a scam because it's tagged as free. Do we really need freemium content?

I don't get you :O_o:

If the modder/group is open and honest, up front, so "try this demo - if you like it then the full version is £5.00" - I don't see how that could be misunderstood as a scam.

Software developers have been doing this for as long as PCs have existed.

I see no issue with it. It's up to the creator whether they want to get paid or not. I wouldn't like to work for free, and I don't think most people would.

There's obviously a difference between someone who is good at creating content and someone who's just started. Someone who's learning probably shouldn't be charging for content they create, as it may simply not be worth paying for or that creator needs feedback as part of their learning process.

If someone has been creating content for a while and is good at it I don't see why they shouldn't charge. I think a lot of people are just moaning about having to pay for stuff.

I don't get you :O_o:

If the modder/group is open and honest, up front, so "try this demo - if you like it then the full version is £5.00" - I don't see how that could be misunderstood as a scam.

Software developers have been doing this for as long as PCs have existed.
I mean, if it's clear that a version is a DEMO it's ok, but it must be clear. Sorry for this

Basically we have just seen paid mods having a better spotlight than "normal" mods (with the exception of Seat TCR) and in the product page we see a redirect link to a seller like Sellfy etc.. In short, RD seems to encourage the making of paid mods among its database of free resources, whether it's good or bad
I made my views on the topic some 200 posts ago, but I would take issue with you over this part of your post.
Several of our top modders have pointed out the difference in time consumed between modding older games and the latest ones, and RD recognises this and as Bram has stated believes that paid is a way
to keep long involved top class modding alive. As to direction, can I point out to you, that we have recently created new or expanded sections for GTR2, GT Legends, Rally Trophy, none of which are likely to feature paid mods.
We try very hard to encompass all aspects of sim racing and be a friendly encouraging site for those who share our passion and quite honestly posts like yours are rather depressing, just like modding what you see on the surface is often just the tip of the iceberg.

My opinion to Paid Mods:

I saw right before my eyes what happened to the Modding Community when Paid Mods became a thing in the Bethesda Games. Now we have a split Community thanks to the abomination that is called "Creation Club".

As soon as money gets involved, thinks become a HUGE mess.

Don't get me wrong, things like Content Manager are worth every penny and i also own the Full Version of it.

BUT...

When i see stuff like the PX Mod from URD and their shenanigans with it, just makes me really uncomfortable.

The fact that there are still people out there supporting this group....is simply beyond me. :speechless:

Also, i have a tough time buying these paid mods for the simple fact, that almost no one is using them Online and driving against the AI leaves A LOT to be desired with these mods....

Just my 2 cents :)
For the record the majority of the two attempts for paid mods in bethesda titles is because at first steam and both times bethesda was benefitting from it with the modders themselves getting the smallest cut. Further more is the mods not adding a lot of content, adding another dog or crab armor isnt going to give you a new experience, its not going to give you hours of new content. Modders both times got the least amount of money from this system.

So compare that with AC/sim racing paid mods

Lets say I remake all of the le mans winner liveries, it would take around 50-100 hours max but how much would that add to the experience, its not a lot so people dont want to pay for it.

Lets take cars, firs there is the research, then there is the models, then the skins, the textures, the physics, the testing, the ai, the finishing touches, the shaders. All in all adding up to at least 500 man hours on the project. More time then ever is going into mods free or not. People are doing this out of their goodwill not for money, the benefit system in the uk would provide more money then these mods would.

Whether you like it or not we are capitalists, money is required for nearly everything, its not about money grubbing, all of you would love to be paid more. Way I see it the money is motivation, I dont see it as purchasing a car, I see it as motivation for future content and providing myself more fun in the future.

But im done writing these long comments about the matter, its too hard to shift opinions on paying for things, either you recognise the effort and time put in or you expect more hand outs.

I would like to see thread titles featuring some kind of tag, though - "PAID" or "FREE" or something. There is nothing worse than investing emotionally in an unreleased project only to find that the creator will charge for it once they have you hooked.

I have seen this tag used a few times on RD and it's really helpful :thumbsup:

I'll say this; I'm working on a paid project currently. I love it. But right now I'm at a standstill as I'm waiting for the input of someone else before I can move on.

Guess what im doing in that downtime? Working on a free mod, because again, I love it.

If was simply about the money I wouldn't bother with free mods, but the fact is I'd do it regardless. The money just makes it viable to do what I enjoy for a much larger portion of my work. Why anyone would deny that is beyond me.

For the record the majority of the two attempts for paid mods in bethesda titles is because at first steam and both times bethesda was benefitting from it with the modders themselves getting the smallest cut. Furthermore is the mods not adding a lot of content, adding another dog or crab armor isnt going to give you a new experience, its not going to give you hours of new content. Modders both times got the least amount of money from this system.

So compare that with AC/sim racing paid mods

Lets say I remake all of the le mans winner liveries, it would take around 50-100 hours max but how much would that add to the experience, its not a lot so people dont want to pay for it.

Lets take cars, firs there is the research, then there is the models, then the skins, the textures, the physics, the testing, the ai, the finishing touches, the shaders. All in all adding up to at least 500 man hours on the project. More time then ever is going into mods free or not. People are doing this out of their goodwill not for money, the benefit system in the uk would provide more money then these mods would.

Whether you like it or not we are capitalists, money is required for nearly everything, its not about money grubbing, all of you would love to be paid more. Way I see it the money is motivation, I dont see it as purchasing a car, I see it as motivation for future content and providing myself more fun in the future.

But im done writing these long comments about the matter, its too hard to shift opinions on paying for things, either you recognise the effort and time put in or you expect more hand outs.
There are other ways to get the same result without asking money to get a mod.
We all know about how much time modders invest in their project and how modders desire been appreciated, but the simplest way couldn't be the best way.

If we would continue with paid mods, then RD have to make a step futher: Videos, reviews, interactive support and troubleshooting, critical analysis of the mod and a much better star system in order to give infos as much as possible to users (who paid/wanna pay that mod)

Also, I would be glad to see Patreon integration into this forum in order to reward modders for their job.

RD must act as an active role in this system

If (potentially) wasting a few dollars is a big enough deal, or will cause enough trauma, in your life that you need all of this:
Videos, reviews, interactive support and troubleshooting, critical analysis of the mod and a much better star system in order to give infos as much as possible to users (who paid/wanna pay that mod)
then you have either made terrible life choices, are very young and on an allowance, or live in an extremely poor economy. A person in any of those situations should probably stick with whatever is given to them for free.

There are other ways to get the same result without asking money to get a mod.
We all know about how much time modders invest in their project and how modders desire been appreciated, but the simplest way couldn't be the best way.

If we would continue with paid mods, then RD have to make a step futher: Videos, reviews, interactive support and troubleshooting, critical analysis of the mod and a much better star system in order to give infos as much as possible to users (who paid/wanna pay that mod)

Also, I would be glad to see Patreon integration into this forum in order to reward modders for their job.

RD must act as an active role in this system
Patreon and a pot for donations such as what nexus is doing would be the best way however sim racing simply isnt big enough for the distribution to mean anything. Either way relies on people parting with money and they dont want to do that.

As someone who is approaching 4 times your spell on the planet I'm trying to make allowance for the arrogance of youth and that english may not be your first language, but really. This site was founded when you were barely out of nappies, you have no concept of the work that is put in to running and maintaining it on a daily basis.
Out of the thousands of mods on the site a very few are paid, yet all of a sudden we are discriminating about them.
I have no problem with your opinion on paid mods but they would exist outwith RD anyway.

As someone who is approaching 4 times your spell on the planet I'm trying to make allowance for the arrogance of youth and that english may not be your first language, but really. This site was founded when you were barely out of nappies, you have no concept of the work that is put in to running and maintaining it on a daily basis.
Out of the thousands of mods on the site a very few are paid, yet all of a sudden we are discriminating about them.
I have no problem with your opinion on paid mods but they would exist outwith RD anyway.
Sorry if that wall of text looked arrogant and rude, it wasn't any of the purposes of what I was speaking of. And yes, my English isn't fluid as much as I would, so sorry x2 .
If (potentially) wasting a few dollars is a big enough deal, or will cause enough trauma, in your life that you need all of this:

then you have either made terrible life choices, are very young and on an allowance, or live in an extremely poor economy. A person in any of those situations should probably stick with whatever is given to them for free.
I'm trying to get worthy every euro I have and I don't think it's a bad thing, isn't it?
Well, 15€ in my country it's a meal for 2 men, so I tend to look deeply into reviews if is worth it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back