Other Motorsports (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won a couple of weekend passes for this weekends Snetterton BTCC race meeting but cannot now attend (D'oh). If anyone is in or around Cardiff and wants them, FOC then they are yours. All I ask is you do not sell them and you do not waste them.

You will HAVE to pick them up as it is now too late to post them to guarantee arrival.

Cheers
marcus.

A old challenge returns in a new age - 48 hour races. Hardly known in the sixties there have been such races at the Nürburgring Nordschleife where drivers like Jacky Ickx did them. However they never got popular and with the introduction of the 24 hour race at the Nürburgring, these races disappeared completely. Now the Maxi Endurance 48 was announced as a new try at a two day race. Five to eight racers share a car, car recovery is supported from any point, even engine changes are allowed with cars GT2 and GT3 in the main class and various other cars in the lower class(es).

The venue was announced to be the Circuit Navarra in Spain.

http://maxiendurance48.com/noticia-destacada-1/

"A compensating handicap system so that everyone has the opportunity to win back time making the race exciting to the very end.". What they are going to do? Nascar style random caution and safety car?

"We've raised the bar for endurance races of 24h to 48h, to recover the spirit uncertain of who can win an endurance race." Like we knew which exatcly Audi was going to win at Le Mans.

In my opinion: This race idea is rather interesting, but pointless. Also maximum number of tyres - F1 Pirelli style.

Whole idea just doesn't stick together (for now) and who's going to watch it? (If it going to be transmitted at all)

Hi guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on this, who do you think is better, Ayrton Senna or Sabastian Loeb. I think it is Loeb, because has won 8 Championships at the top of Rally, and on his debut in Rallycross at the summer X-games LA in 2012, he beat drivers like Ken Block, and Travis Pastrana to the title, but Senna only won 3 championships...

Championships in F1 is not a testament to how fast you are. It´s how fast your car as been.
WRC my guess it´s similar.

When you put 1,5 seconds on your teammate who´s considered the best in the world then you are unreal. Senna all the way, never seen anyone dance a Lotus around like he did.

I vote for Loeb,
And as many drivers have stated they cant drive cars as fast as Loeb outside their chosen field , whereas Loeb has won races against the best in cars that he is unfamiliar with

I hate questions like this, but still feel compelled to answer:rolleyes:
Both are, undoubtably, recognised as masters in their chosen disciplines. However the technology gap that spans the drivers is immense. Senna was driving most of his career with 3 pedals and a stick shift in cars that were little more than very fast fuel tanks guided by a driver. Loeb is a genius, probably as good a driver in his field than anyone. I think the difference being that Senna had already started to move into the 'modern' era of F1 with Williams and proved to be as competitive before his sad death. Loeb is, at the moment, rooted, in the 'modern' era of WRC. When technology moves on will Loeb still be on top? Who knows.

Recognising both as talents but I have to say Ayrton Senna purely because he could do things with 1200hp and a gearstick in the worst conditions that defies belief nowadays.

Yea it´s hard to ignore what Senna did when it was raining.
As Gerhard Berger said "he made us look like idiots"
he made the worlds best open wheeler drivers look like they had just started racing.

And you can make a case for both not being the best as Loeb has been beaten by plenty of guys in RoC,
Same with Senna being out-qualified by Hakkinen or the fact that Prost had more fastest laps then Senna etc.

Rather pointless comparison but if i had to choose i´d say Senna was just magic on occasions. Especially when it rained.
And he got beaten pretty hard in karting by a nobody.

Would be cool to see Senna in WRC and Loeb in F1 :)

Easy, if you like F1 you'll say Senna, if you like Rally you'll say Loeb, pointless question :rolleyes:

I prefer rally and voted Senna... Loeb is great driver. Extremely talented, but his success is due not only to that but his astonishing reliable car(s). It is too hard really to compare and ultimately unfair, I think. Different disciplines, different eras. Perhaps it would be easier/fairer to compare Loeb with Schumi and Ayrton with someone like Juha Kankkunen.

Anyway what is suitable criteria for the best driver of all time? Pure speed? Intelligent driving? For the former I'd say Colin McRae, the latter Loeb. To be honest there are probably to many factors to consider.

Come to think of it, it's stupid that they use normal road cars as safety cars. They should be purposefully build re-inforced race cars with loads of cameras, proximity sensors, GPS link to all cars etc. Maybe even three people inside, one watching road repairs and keeping communications, one to watch drivers and one to just drive.

Come to think of it, it's stupid that they use normal road cars as safety cars. They should be purposefully build re-inforced race cars with loads of cameras, proximity sensors, GPS link to all cars etc. Maybe even three people inside, one watching road repairs and keeping communications, one to watch drivers and one to just drive.
Well, the thing are the costs then. It is not like in every series there is a bidding battle for official safety vehicles like in F1, NASCAR, LeMans, ... In smaller series the safety car and other safety vehicles are simply owned by the tracks. Same for the drivers... Mayländer has been a well DTM racer before and partly during his job as Formula 1 SC pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes