New Spa-Francorchamps shots

My love for spa is tainted somewhat by the sanitising of many of the corners in the name of F1 "safety". It's still a great track, but can join a massive list of circuits that have been neutered all in the name of keeping Bernie's playthings visiting one weekend of e year.

My love for spa is tainted somewhat by the sanitising of many of the corners in the name of F1 "safety". It's still a great track, but can join a massive list of circuits that have been neutered all in the name of keeping Bernie's playthings visiting one weekend of e year.

Spa has only been desanitized for Formula One cars. For every other category, it's a monumental challenge, because F1 is so much faster and grippier than every other category.

I fully support the safety of F1 drivers, if it means making tracks less dangerous, then that's what has to be done. Only Formula 1 cars can take Eau Rouge flat out at 300kph. So anything like a GT3 car will have to lift off and change down at least to take Eau rouge, and that's at much lower speeds.

For everything but formula one, Spa is still an incredibly dangerous and challenging circuit.

Only Formula 1 cars can take Eau Rouge flat out at 300kph.
They USED to. We'll see in August if they still can do it flat out.
So far this year they've been discovering "new and unexplored" corners on every track, so I guess we'll see some sliding in sector 2 at Spa. But I just hope the cars generate enough downforce at high speed, to take Eau Rouge or Pouhon just like last year, without much lifting off.

They USED to. We'll see in August if they still can do it flat out.
So far this year they've been discovering "new and unexplored" corners on every track, so I guess we'll see some sliding in sector 2 at Spa. But I just hope the cars generate enough downforce at high speed, to take Eau Rouge or Pouhon just like last year, without much lifting off.

Nah I think unless it's wet or damp, then it'll still be flat. It'll definitely be more difficult, just because of the reduced front wing width and general loss of downforce, but it won't be because of lack of traction, or too much torque. They'll be in 7th or 8th by the time they reach it so there's no problem on the traction end. But at the same time, I hope I'm wrong, just so that Eau Rouge becomes more of a corner again, and less of a "straight with risks" (Brundle-ism).

Still, I'm excited to see how they handle it! I love this new Formula One!

I'm really not enjoying the new formula one honestly. Haven't watched the race today since I'm out of town.

Spa is and will always be one of my favorite tracks. It's mix of medium and high speed corners and amazing elevation change is spectacular. Throw into the mix the always changing weather and it is a gem to see.

@Sodemo I see your point, but I feel that spa is one of the few that still has it's character. A few of the corners have removed some of the race ending penalty but it is still a fearsome track. Also sometimes being forced to slowdown instead of becoming beached is better for the viewers and doesn't waste so much money from the team's having to transport everything to the facility only to have their weekend cut very short from a simple mistake. There aren't any reset buttons in real life lol.

I'm really not enjoying the new formula one honestly. Haven't watched the race today since I'm out of town.

Spa is and will always be one of my favorite tracks. It's mix of medium and high speed corners and amazing elevation change is spectacular. Throw into the mix the always changing weather and it is a gem to see.

@Sodemo I see your point, but I feel that spa is one of the few that still has it's character. A few of the corners have removed some of the race ending penalty but it is still a fearsome track. Also sometimes being forced to slowdown instead of becoming beached is better for the viewers and doesn't waste so much money from the team's having to transport everything to the facility only to have their weekend cut very short from a simple mistake. There aren't any reset buttons in real life lol.

Mate, you're gonna want to watch it! Trust me, it was an absolute cracker of a race!! Seriously, one of the best I've seen in a loooooong time.

Well that's exactly it. The tarmac run off at Les Combes, Rivage, the no-name turn 11 left hander and Pouhon (which had a huge gravel trap) is largely not necessary, as apart from Pouhon, all were fairly low speed corners, and they don't punish mistakes enough in my opinion. Tarmac run off in general is a plague, I personally hate it.

Well that's exactly it. The tarmac run off at Les Combes, Rivage, the no-name turn 11 left hander and Pouhon (which had a huge gravel trap) is largely not necessary, as apart from Pouhon, all were fairly low speed corners, and they don't punish mistakes enough in my opinion. Tarmac run off in general is a plague, I personally hate it.
I'm conflicted about it personally. Although it seems to allow drivers to not get punished for mistakes I personally don't think F1 had anything to do with the installation of them. Again think if you were a team manager and your race was ended by damage from the gravel. The cost of not finishing and the damage would add up. You wouldn't be so Ken on seeing them still in use.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.