New FSR President: John-Eric Saxen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my 2 cents on race times.

From my perspective, the WT times are quite early for someone from the North American east coast (-5GMT).

Here are the conversion (for -5 GMT [Montreal Time]):

Sunday, 10:45 GMT: Pre-Qualifying Group 1 ---- 5:45 A.M
Sunday, 11:05 GMT: Pre-Qualifying Group 2 ---- 6:05 A.M
Sunday, 11:20 GMT: G1 Practice ---- 6:20 A.M
Sunday, 11:30 GMT: G1 Qualifying 1 ---- 6:30 A.M
Sunday, 11:45 GMT: G1 Qualifying 2 ---- 6:45 A.M
Sunday, 11:50 GMT: G1 Warm-up ---- 6:50 A.M
Sunday, 12:00 GMT: G1 Race Start ---- 7:00 A.M

Sunday, 13:30 GMT: G2 Server opens ---- 8:30 A.M
Sunday, 13:40 GMT: G2 Warm-up ---- 8:40 A.M
Sunday, 13:50 GMT: G2 Race Start ---- 8:50 A.M

I think that moving the 1st pre-qual to 14:00 GMT (9:00 A.M [-5 GMT]) or even 13:00 GMT (8 A.M) would enable a lot more North/South American players to play. Other series's times are just fine, but the entry serie (World Trophy) time is very discouraging, I'm not ready to wake up a 5 A.M to race, adding to that I'm not even sure to take part in the case I fail to pre-qualify.

Also,
WT - 20:00 GMT on Friday

Makes race time 15:00 for N.A /S.A, and I highly doubts that people with a normal schedule of work/school can take part at that time; and that, pretty much on any week days.

That was my opinion.

Last edited:
Talking about race times, this is what I proposed internally in 2012 when I became president:

The idea is to have a free day on the weekend (Sunday). Having WC on Saturday should make life easier for aussies; it's still not an optimal time for them, but at least they have Sunday to rest/sleep more.

I don't think Friday time would be a problem, even if it's late for "FSR standards", but FSR Pro series in 2009 were quite popular, and had a very similar time start, if not the same (but on Saturday).

Obviously TOA will turn down any interesting proposal, but I wanted to share my thoughts :)

Ermm David you are not right with this. TOA doesn't decide on the WT and WS times, only the WC time is voted. WS and WT times are up to the admin crew to find the best solution.

Also I don't understand why we would want a free day in the weekend, from admin perspective I can understand but not from drivers point. We have students that still do their extra work on the Saturdays for example, and the older ones with a regular job often use Saturday for other stuff like grocery, around the house stuff extra work etc etc. Many often use the Friday and Saturday to go out. If I where the current admin crew I would held a questionnaire about this to see what the community prefers.

TOA decides WC times, therefore WT and WS must be adapted to the WC one. Anyway it was a generic comment, it's not only about race times ;)

About free day on weekends, it's something I've heard a lot of times inside my team in the last years, especially from older guys.

as for free on weekends. people call me older (im 33) I work on a Saturday so that dat would be out for me and during the week races im up at 5am so if got too late id be out for that too :(

It seems that time zones are an issue.
Would it be worth considering instead of WT and WS having a timezone split. It seems that there is a lot of pace overlap anyway. So say....
North American Series and
Asia Pacific Series.
or looking at time differences maybe a Pacific Series (incl both North America South America) and a European series.
I guess the admins can analyse the membership locations
Just a thought

I read your campaign paper. Just a few questions:
-you state that rf2 is beta, but it is actually not any more. so this cannot be used as an reason for not.going with rf2.
-you mentioned iracing- it seems like you are talking about iracing as some sort of competition for FSR, but in reality you might want to consider it as a candidate for all other software you are considering because it also now has a league component option.
-Differentiating WS and WT- have you considered making WT a 'fixed setup' series? Perhaps it would provide more of a nudge to the more experienced and faster drivers to move up to WS and the entry level drivers in WT.

-Differentiating WS and WT- have you considered making WT a 'fixed setup' series? .

Why people thinks that the main difference between drivers about set ups?

A driver is supposed to know whats wrong with the car with just doing two corners. And isnt much Difficult. Do a changeand if its faster keep with it if not go back and do opposite. The problem is that in WS almost there arent drivers and WT almost for 2 grids every race. Part of being a driver is to know how to set a car.

-you state that rf2 is beta, but it is actually not any more. so this cannot be used as an reason for not.going with rf2.
-you mentioned iracing- it seems like you are talking about iracing as some sort of competition for FSR, but in reality you might want to consider it as a candidate for all other software you are considering because it also now has a league component option.
-Differentiating WS and WT- have you considered making WT a 'fixed setup' series? Perhaps it would provide more of a nudge to the more experienced and faster drivers to move up to WS and the entry level drivers in WT.

The word "beta" was never used as an excuse not to use rf2. rf2 will be used if rf2 is bug free enough. Its that simple. To that iracing part of your question i dont know where to start, but here are couple of reasons. iracing is hilariously overpriced. You cant expect people just throw hundreds of euros only because fsr changes to iracing. iRacing's F1 is really bad compared to other sims / mods, but this is just my opinion. Also i dont understand whats the point of going into iracing when they already have their own league with loads of top drivers? If FSR wants to be a league that has top simracers and the highest quality of competition that is the last thing FSR should do. Thats just my 2 cents.

Yes there are many many cons that make it highly unlikely to go with iracing but perhaps there are some things to learn from it. I just think if you are considering all options it shouldn't be ruled out.

iracing would be a huge no no because of all the charges and subs then there is not all f1 tracks. and as for times now my hours in work have changed so during week would be a no because id be home at 11.30pm so now I have weekends free plus during the week people have to go bed reasonable times as getting up for work/school/college/uni

Going to iRacing would be a "no" for some people and a "yes" for other new people, that's not really the problem from a league perspective, real problem with iRacing is what Ville pointed out; they already have an official top F1 league, so it would be pointless to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back