Resource icon

DiRT Rally NERVE Enhanced FFB for Dirt Rally 0.45 2.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
I'm not sure what happened, but I think I like it even if some of it I dont understand.
First reaction... "there you go, heading to the right direction". After two hours of testing and adjusting the ingame FFB settings, I'm again little confused. I think this is better, but I can't say why. :O_o:

What I can say is that, keep it up! 'cause there seems to be alot of un-used potential there and you are digging it up! :thumbsup:

I need to do more testing, and direct comparing to my own file (which is basically default by couple differences and rev effect added.) to get my head straight and give useful feedback.

Edit:
Ok here we go.
This V2 improves everything little bit, its not a huge difference, but the imrpvements are in areas that affect just enough to make Nerve V2 better than default.
Only disturbingly aggressive effect was the Tire Slip, which I had to drop down to 45%.
Rest had alot of leeway where they still felt atleast ok. After adding the Rev effect and piddling with the settings I did find what I was looking for. This is where I left my ingame settings and was relatively happy with them.

T500rs:
self align - 65
wheel fric - 20
tire friction - 90
suspension - 95
tire slip - 45
collition - 100
soft lock - 100

I do hope that these little tweaks finds Codeys, and they take a looksey what all can their FFB engine actually accomplish.

Last edited:
Alright, gave it a good go on multiple surfaces and with a few cars, RWD, 4WD mainly.
For reference equipment/settings are as follows.
G25
Profiler settings
Overall effects: 100
Spring: 0
Damper: 100
Centering: Off

At first it behaves a little better, the self aligning torque feels less mushy due to the feedback that's constantly coming through even when centered, so it's a nice little trick, so to speak. But here's where I found a couple of questionable issues. On my first go with the M3 at Monte Carlo, getting off the line, the wheel - and therefore the front end - started hunting around because the Tyre Slip effect was overpowering everything. Granted, I can see where you're going with that, but it feels as if it's a FWD/4WD car hunting around for grip, even in a RWD car, when the rear is doing all the slipping. I somewhat preferred the more subtle default effect where there was some vibration to tell you you're losing grip rather than quite a bit of torque coming through the wheel even with RWD and hindering my ability to steer. Finally, I lowered the Tyre Slip strength enough to where it was subtle, but wasn't affecting the steering too much. Apparently there's some limitations with the actual FFB in game, where the Tyre Slip affects the wheel the same way regardless of drive configuration per car - a limitation that might be worth considering.

Furthermore, even though I liked the extra vibration and feedback through the wheel even in a straight line at first, I then noticed something strange, which could be attributed to the extra granularity in the extra strength/effect ranges you've introduced to the .xml. Again, using the M3/Monte Carlo as a benchmark, while doing some practice starts and so on to get a feel for the effects, I started coasting down the road, and I noticed that the vibration effect coming through the wheel while moving was actually almost completely unrelated to surface, and was more akin to running over rumble strips at a steady pace/frequency, about twice per second. I then tested it at different speeds, and it was more or less constant regardless of speed. I tested on gravel in the impreza, exactly the same thing. Even took my headset off, and it even sounded like a metronome, a short ruble every half second or so.

In summary, it does feel like an improvement mainly because there's some feedback even in a straight line, and even at Monte Carlo which traditionally felt a little bland, but realizing that the aforementioned feedback felt a bit like a canned effect, it put me off a tad. I must add that other effects have benefited, the sense of weight transfer apparently was helped quite a bit, I did feel a little more confident throwing the M3 around, so it's definitely on the right path. Just dropping my feedback, and thanks for the effort, man!

Hi guys, I downloaded this mod but where do you put it then?
In game I can't find any settings to load.

Thanks
Hi Cedric,
Extract the contents of the ZIP into your games installation folder (usually Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Dirt Rally\)

Alright, gave it a good go on multiple surfaces and with a few cars, RWD, 4WD mainly.
For reference equipment/settings are as follows.
G25
Profiler settings
Overall effects: 100
Spring: 0
Damper: 100
Centering: Off

At first it behaves a little better, the self aligning torque feels less mushy due to the feedback that's constantly coming through even when centered, so it's a nice little trick, so to speak. But here's where I found a couple of questionable issues. On my first go with the M3 at Monte Carlo, getting off the line, the wheel - and therefore the front end - started hunting around because the Tyre Slip effect was overpowering everything. Granted, I can see where you're going with that, but it feels as if it's a FWD/4WD car hunting around for grip, even in a RWD car, when the rear is doing all the slipping. I somewhat preferred the more subtle default effect where there was some vibration to tell you you're losing grip rather than quite a bit of torque coming through the wheel even with RWD and hindering my ability to steer. Finally, I lowered the Tyre Slip strength enough to where it was subtle, but wasn't affecting the steering too much. Apparently there's some limitations with the actual FFB in game, where the Tyre Slip affects the wheel the same way regardless of drive configuration per car - a limitation that might be worth considering.

Furthermore, even though I liked the extra vibration and feedback through the wheel even in a straight line at first, I then noticed something strange, which could be attributed to the extra granularity in the extra strength/effect ranges you've introduced to the .xml. Again, using the M3/Monte Carlo as a benchmark, while doing some practice starts and so on to get a feel for the effects, I started coasting down the road, and I noticed that the vibration effect coming through the wheel while moving was actually almost completely unrelated to surface, and was more akin to running over rumble strips at a steady pace/frequency, about twice per second. I then tested it at different speeds, and it was more or less constant regardless of speed. I tested on gravel in the impreza, exactly the same thing. Even took my headset off, and it even sounded like a metronome, a short ruble every half second or so.

In summary, it does feel like an improvement mainly because there's some feedback even in a straight line, and even at Monte Carlo which traditionally felt a little bland, but realizing that the aforementioned feedback felt a bit like a canned effect, it put me off a tad. I must add that other effects have benefited, the sense of weight transfer apparently was helped quite a bit, I did feel a little more confident throwing the M3 around, so it's definitely on the right path. Just dropping my feedback, and thanks for the effort, man!

Thanks heaps for the feedback everyone! I will take your feedback and see what I can do to balance it further. I have already made slight modifications to Tyre Slip to reduce its aggressiveness without losing its feel.

LooneyJuice. I think that canned rumble effect you felt was a single suspension effect. I tried to set them up so that no car "sits" on a suspension level while keeping all the cars immediately responsive on suspension. Looks like I might have more tweaking, you shouldn't feel any single wave sample for long, that's why I created so many suspension thresholds to remove that canned feel. I'll head to Monaco and try out M3

OK a quick update.

Firstly I expanded the lowest end of the suspension a bit, and redid the suspension samples.
Secondly I basically redid the skid feedback and expanded it to 8 threshold levels with 5 wave samples.

The repetitive vibration created by the lower end of the suspension (the constant feedback) feels much more random now, and while its not based on surface, it does feel a lot better.
Since 0.45 there is no direct surface feedback from the game (there wasn't before either) and they also removed the old Dirt3 surface functions which modders used. This means that now the only way to simulate the surface is via suspension compression. Its tricky and feels very fake or canned if your not careful.
To get around this Im using 7 tightly grouped thresholds for compression which randomly choose from 3 groups of 3 samples on a scaling frequency setup so that the transition is noticeable between thresholds. Due to the small ranges of each threshold you move between several while driving on a dirt surface due to the slight bumps and rolls in the road.
Unfortunately if you can keep the car extremely stable for a long period you will feel the repetitive samples that drive the effect :(

Skidding the wheels is a lot more gradual now, and has more variation in the feeling you get. It doesn't increase take-off turning like it did before and feels more like a vibration than a push.

on a side note, I reset my ingame settings to 100% on everything and used the Logitech Profiler to lower the overall strength and to be honest I found my sweet spot about 10x faster than trying to manually tweak in-game. Considering I balanced the functions while using 100% it makes sense really. I advise anyone who's lowered it ingame a bit to try this.

Ill upload my new version today once Im happy with it!

Tried file was pulling to the right somehow, maybe I installed it wrong, I deleted original then dragged file in?? Other than that it felt good :(

I verified files now it's ok
Like I said I think I done something wrong on install
How do you Install?
I'm using T500rs

Last edited:
This tweak kicks ass. (V2, didn't try V1)

There, I said it.

I'm running 70 on all ingame settings bar lock and collision (cranked em up because why not) on my CSWv2. Easily the happiest I've been with the FFB, the update was a minor improvement, this is very noticeable improvement over that to my fingertips.

Relevant wheel settings-
100 SHO
003 DRI
060 FOR
000 SPR
030 DPR

You could alternatively just lower the frictions in game and use 100 DPR, but I find it's easier to just do it on the wheel.
Man i don't know how you have been able to post in here and then people post your video in here about this ffb tweak without making the connection. Master :ninja:

:roflmao::D

If the rear and front tire slip could have seperate lines, so that they feel different from one another, that would fix the slip feel issue altogether.

I verified files now it's ok
Like I said I think I done something wrong on install
How do you Install?
I'm using T500rs

For all games that have mods (without ingame build mod activation function like rF2), I recommend using JSGME.
Its a program that you can activate/deactivate mods by click of a button, without having to manually override any original files, and with the same click of a button can revert back to original.
What you need to do is extract and copy the JSGME.exe and MODS folder to the "DiRT Rally" folder in: "Steam\steamapps\common\DiRT Rally" so it looks something like this "Steam\steamapps\common\DiRT Rally\MODS\NERVE FFB V2\forcefeedback" where the modified "effectsetup_v2" needs to be.

When this is done, you can make a shortcut to your desktop from the JSGME.exe and when you open it, it opens the program that has the mods in the "MODS" folder and you can activate them seperately or all at once. Right clicking the mods name you can open the folder where the mod is, if you want to modify it further or replace the file in it if for example new version has been released. You can also rename the mods in the JSGME window.

Link: JSGME.zip and Nerve v2 ffb mod
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_EysoV-vx0rQnF1THEtYlFIOEU/view?usp=sharing

TemplarGFX updated Nerve v2 Enhanced FFB for Dirt Rally 0.45 with a new update entry:

Surface and Skidding Improvements!

Here is version 2.1 for everyone!

I have tweaked both Suspension and Tyre Skidding to remove the feeling of it only pulling to the right, and being easier to turn right. I am pretty confident I have this working at last!

Suspension ranges were modified along with the samples and the over-all feeling is a smoother increase in feedback according to impact. Lands from jumps are now quite noticeable!

Skidding feedback has also been reworked to give its feedback via varying road surface...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I seem to remember you said this was developed with all the ingame settings at 100%, is that still correct?
Have a look in the Overview section. I have updated the information there with how I suggest you initially configure the game to get the correct feeling I intended however yes, all the settings were developed with everything (but Soft-Lock as I have it off) at 100%

Wait...."I have tweaked both Suspension and Tyre Skidding to remove the feeling of it only pulling to the right, and being easier to turn right. I am pretty confident I have this working at last!"
So I never done anything wrong after all?
The artefact I was feeling is effect made by your files??
Dude, with me when turning right the wheel does not counter steer to the left.
It just pulls more to the right when it should be countering to the left.
With the T500rs I floored it at start and wheel was pulled from my hands
resulting in going over cliff n down the hill:confused:

"Soft-Lock disabled, take the Degrees Of Rotation you have set on your wheel and devide it by 9. \"

I don't quite understand this, i have soft lock disabled and soft lock at 0% in game menu. I use 540 in logitech profiler, that means i should put 60 ?

"Soft-Lock disabled, take the Degrees Of Rotation you have set on your wheel and devide it by 9. \"

I don't quite understand this, i have soft lock disabled and soft lock at 0% in game menu. I use 540 in logitech profiler, that means i should put 60 ?
Yes. Like I said I am not even sure if it does anything :p

OK a quick update.

on a side note, I reset my ingame settings to 100% on everything and used the Logitech Profiler to lower the overall strength and to be honest I found my sweet spot about 10x faster than trying to manually tweak in-game. Considering I balanced the functions while using 100% it makes sense really. I advise anyone who's lowered it ingame a bit to try this.

Please be aware that you massively increase the wheels FFB Deadzone by lowering the Profiler forces.
This FFB-Deadzone affects any consumer level wheel, some more (Logitech) some less (Thrustmaster and Fanatec). The problem occurs because the initial low end forces are not enough, to overcome the wheel's internal resistance because of friction. It's a problem that can only be solved properly if the game introduces a "min force" option that leverages all forces below your wheel's dead point to the minimum value your specific wheel can output.

As with games that do not include this feature, you can use the Profiler to get rid of this Deadzone.
Xc3zMhP.png

• At 100% my G27 has a deadzone of 16,5%
  • At 120% the deadzone is nearly nonexistent. It's miles better, but as you're increasing all forces you're sacrificing some linearity, aswell as a bit of detail at the top.
  • At 70% the deadzone is a massive 26%.

This means you'll have to throw massive forces to the wheel to overcome this deadzone. This also means you're limiting the range of forces, the amount of detail and increase the risk of clipping. The goal is to stay within the wheel's optimum working range with its most linear output. With Logitech wheels this means staying within 90-110%.

Of course, this deadzone appears to be overcome by the massive vibration forces sent to the wheel (even when standing still), but i personally do not like them at all.

Tarmac
On the other hand i've got to admit, that while the fake surface feedback puts me off, i feel like i have more control over the skids and a bit more feedback on the amount of grip of the surface i'm driving on. Especially the understeer is a lot more noticeable now, so well done!

Gravel
...Yet to be tested.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back