My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Where exactly do you get this information from? I suspected this, but didn't find any info indication that neither in the product's description, nor the spec sheet, nor the wiki.

All it says is basically this which lead me to my conclusion:

Electrical specifications
Continuous output current0-10 A (peak value, not RMS)
Peak output current0-15 A (peak value, not RMS)
Power conversion efficiency90-95 %
Logic power supply24 VDC +/- 10%, 0.1 – 0.5 A
Motor power supply85 – 264 VAC 50/60 Hz, 0 – 15 A

I remain sceptic about this unless you've got first hand experience or you can show me a link to that information. In that case I'd return my power supplies and my VSD-E instantly as it would come out at almost the same costs (VSD-E + 2x PSU + Accessories).

//Edit: found it:
http://openservodrive.com/argon-open-servo-motor-drive/

Supply voltage – to eliminate the need of external AC to DC power supply unit, the drive should directly accept AC mains voltage as supply. This adds some cost but it will in total save money as external PSU isn’t free either.

//Edit2: just ordered the Argon. Luckily I'm still in the timeframe to return my VSD-E and power supplies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So now argon seems to be the way to go on that matter even if it cost more you save from psu´s, if by itself can deliver 160 vdc and 10 amps just taking from the wall?? Now the possibility to less torque motors but high rpm opens with pulley reductions you can achieve pretty good results (torque) so now we should have more motors to choose from right?

Upvote 0
We've had the motors to choose from with the VSD-E also. There are just not that many motors in a low price range that are suitable for our applications.

You could as well use a motor with pulley reduction now too, but the price tag compared to the chinese motor will be at least the same and it introduces other problems like wear from the gearbox (usually they are built to last about 1500-3000 hours) and they aren't cheap at all if you need low backlash gearboxes (which still leave you with some backlash and additional drag).

I just calculated the costs (incl. German VAT):
VSD-E 250€
VSD-E Accessories: 50 EUR
48V 400W PSU: 130 EUR
24V 20W PSU: 20 EUR
various shipping costs to Austria: 50 EUR
----
500 EUR.

All in one, no brainer solution Argon: 489 EUR + VAT + 20 EUR for the SimpleMotion V2 adapter, better configuratio software, future updates..

It really is just a little bit more on the costs side, but it really offers up some interesting new possibilities and better support in the future. For me it is no big deal to swap technologies as I built around the possibility of swapping them. If it's that simple for other projects - I don't know..

What really held me back before now was the impression that I would need external power supplies for the Argon which would have killed the idea of using it costs wise.. but with this new information for me this is almost a no-brainer...

Upvote 0
I honestly don't know. Depends on how much of the supplied SimpleMotion API he uses. If he just outputs a pwm value from his encoder and decodes the QE signals on the blueboard then it shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise the interface would have to be implemented against the Argon..

Upvote 0
Yes the Argon is OK with the BB and Mizoo firmware, same as the VSDE.

And for the motor, the MIGE 130ST10010 is the better choice cost efficiency (very good results in our last tests reactivity, torque etc)... :)

Upvote 0
Nice Tortue G, do want!

The only remaining question I have (apart from when the firmware will be available to the outside world) is how we can use wheel buttons and displays. Is it possible to use an electrical quick release and get USB onto the wheel?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Yes the Argon is OK with the BB and Mizoo firmware, same as the VSDE.

And for the motor, the MIGE 130ST10010 is the better choice cost efficiency (very good results in our last tests reactivity, torque etc)... :)

Hi. Stef Bord.

I'm so impressed of yours and Tortue G's FFB wheel powerd by Mizoo board.

I would love to build a ffb wheel like you guys
,but I only have just tiny knowledge about electronics.

So, I've some questions for you.

>> Question. #1
Can I use HC-KFS73B Mitsubishi 750w Servo Motor instead of MIGE 130ST10010 for Mizoo RFR FFB Board?

Because, an used HC-KFS73B is 40% cheaper than brand new MIGE 130ST10010 in my country.

Here is the datasheet of HC-KFS73B Mitsubishi 750w Servo Motor.

-- Specification
Servo motor HC-KFS73B (Low inertia, small capacity)

+ Power facility capacity : 1.3 kVA
+ Rated output : 750 W
+ Rated torque : 2.4 N·m [339.8 oz·in]
+ Maximum torque : 7.2 N·m [1019.5 oz·in]
+ Rated speed : 3,000 r/min
+ Maximum speed : 4500 r/min
+ Permissible instantaneous speed : 5175 r/min
+ Power rate at continuous rated torque : 37.7 kW/s
+ Rated current : 5.8 A
+ Maximum current : 18.6 A
+ Recommended load/motor inertia moment ratio : Max. 15 times.
+ Speed/position detector : 17-bit encoder (Resolution per encoder/servo motor rotation: 131072 p/rev )
+ Mass : 3.0 kg [6.61lb]

>> Question. #2
Is HC-KFS73B servo compatible with VSD-E?

Honestly, I'd like to ask a lot of things how to build FFB wheel but I don't know what to ask. :(
Sorry for the stupid question but I'm a newbie in electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
For this servo motor to be compatible with VSDE, he must have a quadrature encoder. Otherwise, take it apart and replace it. Should also know how much current is needed for the constant torque 2.4Nm. The servo GD can only provide 10A peak of sine. You add the cost of the gearbox or pulley reduction you will have spent more than the servo MIGE that meets our needs perfectly.

Upvote 0
Hi all, i just bought MIGE 130ST10010 and LPC1768 board from dx.com. Still wonder if should go for ARGON or VSD-E? Both should work well if i'm understanding correctly. There seems to be need for Barking resistor and some discussion about diode at racingrf.com forum. What is good braking resistor for ARGON/MIGE 130ST10010 combo and what is the function of that diode mentioned?

Upvote 0
Go for the Argon. The costs are marginally higher (you don't need seperate 24V + 48V PSUs, you can connect it directly to your home's power jack). But it has more potential for the future, is compatible to Mizoo's project and will be supported in the future (the VSD-E is discontinued).

Upvote 0
Go for the Argon. The costs are marginally higher (you don't need seperate 24V + 48V PSUs, you can connect it directly to your home's power jack). But it has more potential for the future, is compatible to Mizoo's project and will be supported in the future (the VSD-E is discontinued).

I bought VSD-E, installation kit, FTDI cable, 12v power supply for 334e delivered. Adding the 48v power supply is 100e, so total is 434e.
Argon would be 659e delivered, usb adapter included.

Jarkko, what is the total sum of the motor when taxes and etc. are included in the price?

Upvote 0
I bought VSD-E, installation kit, FTDI cable, 12v power supply for 334e delivered. Adding the 48v power supply is 100e, so total is 434e.

Jarkko, what is the total sum of the motor when taxes and etc. are included in the price?

I paid 130 for the 48V in Austria. Cheapest I could find. Another advantage of the Argon is that you aren't limited voltage wise and it takes less space. It also has a programmable uC I intend to use.. I'd go for the Argon as it just makes more sense. Ican program things or the Argon that I can't do on the VSD-E.

Upvote 0

About 390€.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes