My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi read this thread a quite a few times now. Lovely project you have going here.
I would love a wheel setup like this looks built to last many years. Certainly something I would like to have a go at.
Could you not use a slip ring system of some sort to get round the cabling to Wheel, maybe with only USB wires going through it ? probably missed something obvious but was a thought.
looking forward to your progress on this. :)

I've actually heard of people doing this. But when I realized that almost all cars in real life use a spiral cable too - I didn't mind anymore. Just adds to the immersion :)

Upvote 0
Hi bberger, I´m interesting about the progress, sorry.
Are you now working in the AC app for taking via telemetry the wheel torque and send to Argon? Results?
Have you a video?
Will you share your code in order I can learn about, or someone else try to upgrade it? is c or similar?
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Hi, no problem :)

I'm working on it (AC), videos will be made this weekend, latest on Monday after the SuperBowl ;-).

I will share my code (feeder app and firmware) under an OpenSource license as soon as it supports a fiesable plugin interface, hopefully this or next week.

The feeder app is written in C++ using the Qt5 framework and compiled with MinGW-64. The firmware code is mostly written in C with some parts of C++ using CodeBench Lite for ARM EABI. (GCC + GNU make).

Upvote 0
:) Very NICE !!!!!

A video will be good, but better: What´s your feeling? is your FFB sensation nice?

about programing for me now is chinesse (I can´t help because I only have read a little about c programing). But I promise I will study for soon.

About installation and feeling I hope I will help more soon.

Upvote 0
Link? :)

Oh btw - I bought a emergency stop switch recently in china. 3$ with free shipping... I don't really get how they can sell AND ship for that price. Even at crap quality this is ridiculous.. In Austria I can't even send a letter for that price (domestic!) and it costs me 13.20EUR to send a letter to Germany.. I also buy most of my electronics in the US by now as domestic shipping costs about 8EUR for parts worth less than that while I get the same parts in the US for half the price and 6$ shipping worldwide (across the world over the sea, by air, delivered within 7 days...) such a joke..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure guys, it's dailyappliance:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/dailyappliance2010?_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754

and it was this item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290643225569?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The cable on the photo is a bit longer, but the coiled up part of the cable here in front of me is 24cm and I can extend the cable up to a meter :)

edit:
I did just send a message to the seller because it could be he sent me the wrong cable, it's a good bit shorter than advertised but I think i can use with a wheel. I'll find out soon enough anyway :p

Upvote 0
Nope, Mizoo has not abandoned the project, he has done the bootloader, but actually he load it himself in the board, users must send the board to Mizoo first, so actually he do this only for guys located in France.
Maybe it will change in the future, but I can't answer for him :speechless: ...
And since Assetto Corsa is here, I think he's working on his proper wheel too, so the firmware will be completed (I hope :D).
And now we are several guys with a working wheel with MiGe servomotor ;).

I hope that Mizoo will give you some news soon :)!

Upvote 0
Merci!
Nope, Mizoo has not abandoned the project, he has done the bootloader, but actually he load it himself in the board, users must send the board to Mizoo first, so actually he do this only for guys located in France.
Maybe it will change in the future, but I can't answer for him :speechless: ...
And since Assetto Corsa is here, I think he's working on his proper wheel too, so the firmware will be completed (I hope :D).
And now we are several guys with a working wheel with MiGe servomotor ;).

I hope that Mizoo will give you some news soon :)!
Merci!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%