My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it's progressing very well and the support from Granite Devices has been superb! Tero is a really good guy and has been very forthcoming. I even got a firmware update on request to include PWM duty cycle control to limit the wheel speed (having this thing turn on you @ 1000rpm is just insane (trust me, I had a flesh wound on one hand and a pretty hefty burn from the suede rubbing against my other hand)

As far as gaming goes: iRacing works pretty well by now and, I hope that I can take on AC next week.

There are some security features which still have to be implemented before I will release anything though.

Only a flash wound ?

Good job with the project , very exciting indeed.

Upvote 0
This all sounds great bberger!

Really looking forward to seeing your implementation, and getting a 'kit list' from you of all the bits I need to buy once it is all working.

Just need to figure out how we can attach wheels with electronics (displays, paddles, switches, and dials) onto the motor shaft using something like the lifeline quick release...

Upvote 0
This is starting to get interesting.
Time for a shopping list:

Servomotor:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PM-Servo-Motor/267482883.html

Digital Servo Drive Argon:
http://shop.granitedevices.com/product/30/digital-servo-drive-argon

Adapter for Servomotor to Wheel:
http://maedler.de/Article/61562200

Optional quick release system:
http://forum.virtualracing.org/allg...91115-lenkrad-quick-release-qr-spielfrei.html

Two questions:
Do we still need a Blueboard or something similar, to interface with the Servo Drive Argon? Or does your solution work directly with the Argon?

Would it help you if i would buy all necessary equipment now, so i can help you with betatesting?

Cheers,
André

Upvote 0
Hi,

my solution does not need a BlueBoard or any other external µC as I use the Argon's ARM processor for time critical stuff. HOWEVER: the hardware is FULLY compatible with Mizoos microcontroller project. If he ever releases his firmware you will be able to switch to it if you like at any time without a problem.

About my OpenSimwheel project: It ONLY works with iRacing at the moment, AssettoCorsa and rF1 support are planned within the next 1-2 weeks though, timeline for rF2 depends on what the API provides. Mid-Term I want to implement the full USB/HID protocol making all simulators work that use DirectInput for FFB like any other wheel on the market. Don't expect results on this within the next 6 months though.

Feel free to have a look at the (official) thread to my OpenSimwheel project in the German forums as there are people gathering to do some collective ordering. A complete parts list will be released within the next 24hours as well as a connection diagram. First public software release is planned for this weekend with iRacing support only and probably some rudimentary AssettoCorsa support.

[disclaimer]
You can "beta-test" the public solution at any time. There will be closed beta releases that won't be published because some programming errors can get dangerous very fast). I don't however take ANY responsibilities for any injuries or health issues regarding the use of my software or the solution example I provide. Everyone is in charge of their own procautions and the use of the equipment. I only provide software that enables the communication from simulation to the servo.
[/disclaimer]

For the motor: try to contact MiGe directly via the email address provided (looks scrambled, but I assure you it's legit and MiGe is a legitimate business company). Shipping to Germany is more than 120$ less expensive via FedEx (DON'T TRUST ANYTHING ELSE THAN FEDEX OR DHL EXPRESS FROM ASIA!) than via AliExpress (130$ directly vs. 240$ on Ali). Seems like AliExpress is taking a HEAVY percentage there).

Feel free to contact me over at virtualracing.org or via PM for further details.

Link to the official OpenSimwheel Thread over at virtualracing.org:
http://forum.virtualracing.org/allg...nsimwheel-net-selbermacher-servo-lenkrad.html

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info and the link to the german forum. I´ll be reading over the 41 pages Thread over the coming days and then probably start ordering the neccessary parts :))

Great work!
André

Upvote 0
Looking forward to the parts list (and AC support!) :D

Does the standard build include an e-stop somewhere in the system? Would love to see some pictures of your build setup when you get the chance to post some.

Upvote 0
...Tero is a really good guy and has been very forthcoming. I even got a firmware update on request to include PWM duty cycle control to limit the wheel speed...
Very good that he sorted that!
And yes, Tero seems to be a very nice guy; I had some contact with him a few years ago.

Upvote 0
bberger,

I presume that it is much easier to write support for individual sims one at a time rather than a full USB/HID protocol that would work with all of them? How would individual support work, would you have to run a separate bit of software on the PC so that the Argon is seen as a wheel that the sim can output FFB data to? Can you emulate hard end stops (when you reach the end of the steering lock) and limit wheel turns so that any spiral USB cables form the wheel don't get wrapped around the shaft at 1000RPM!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Hi,

yes, I do use telemetry for rapid prototyping. There is a "feeder" app, which reads values from telemetry and relays them to vJoy (opensource virtual joystick driver). It actually works REALLY well (WAY better than expected and almost perfect^^).

FFB Strength, Static Damping, Overall Effect Strength, Center Spring, Hardstops, and maximum wheel speed (output voltage) can be set at the moment.

Critical features like damping and hardstops will be done on the firmware side, so that no dangerous situation can occur if the pc gets into a bluescreen status.

Upvote 0
Time to start buying my bits ...

Your work on this Bberger is very much appreciated by not only myself but i dare say the entire community !

Thankyou for your efforts so far in making what seemed at one stage to be nothing but a dream for some of us , now be a reality for all of us :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hi,

yes, I do use telemetry for rapid prototyping. There is a "feeder" app, which reads values from telemetry and relays them to vJoy (opensource virtual joystick driver). It actually works REALLY well (WAY better than expected and almost perfect^^).

FFB Strength, Static Damping, Overall Effect Strength, Center Spring, Hardstops, and maximum wheel speed (output voltage) can be set at the moment.

Critical features like damping and hardstops will be done on the firmware side, so that no dangerous situation can occur if the pc gets into a bluescreen status.

I have tried my best to decipher the German forum from my understand this is where the DIY FFB wheels are at

• BBerger has written driver software that works with the Granite devices Argon Servo drive
  • people can buy servo motor for €200 , cables for servo motor €12 cables for argon €20 , PCI card €50 m and programmable Argon servo drive controller with built in PSU for 600
  • Effectively for basic servo wheel without quick release and with a cheep table mount , a servo wheel could be built for €700-€900
  • You can buy ether a USB adaptor but ideally you need a RS-485 PCI card to connect the Argon to the pc (Presumably uses a Ethernet cable from pci card to the argon?)
  • Specific wiring is documented by mizo on another site ?
  • Wiring could be done by a novice
So in short for those of us that are not particularly handy and only have 500-800 it would make sense to wait 4-8 months or so for people to complete there current projects and document them/establish the best ways to do things reliably at low cost.

I wish I had the cash available so I could buy everything then put together a video explaining how to do everything in a really clear way.

If its going to actually be possible to get a servo wheel set-up with a basic wheel for 600 that would be huge , as for the first time a home user will be able to have a wheel that can rotate at the same speed and same torque values as a real car all with ridiculous FFB fidelity.

This combined with the Consumer version of the rift will be one of the most analogous to real world , mind blowing and compelling VR experiences in history.

To clarify would Mizoos microcontroller project require a device like the Argon Servo drive or would it presumably be possible using mizoos PCB that you can use a far cheaper controller , or maybe just a servo power unit with his PCB acting as the controller ?

From what I understand the Argon Servo drive is by far the most costly component and is in reality for this application being underutilized, is it likely this could be replaced for a cheaper component or that future projects would/could some how do this ?

As you can tell I'm not very knowledgeable about the specifics of this subject-mater so I apologise in advance for possibly asking stupid questions :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're a bit off on your translations I'm afraid.

At the moment there is only a telemetry based app (like a motion sim software like E69 Motion, X-Sim or SimCommander) that supports iRacing and hopefully soon AC and rF.

I _plan_ (future) to write a driver for full FFB support, but there is still a lot to do to make this work.

Also the price calculations are off (big time). The project can be done for about 950-1100EUR, depending on the price tag of the Argon Servo Drive (this is the part you forgot in your calculation, costs about 550-600 EUR depending on your dealer) and the costs for the MiGe motor to import into your country.

Best results are achieved by using a PCI or PCIe RS485 extension card as it removes the need for USB polling and latency a USB FTDI adapter brings with it. It is possible to do with an USB RS485 FTDI adaptor, but it essentially cuts the refresh rate in half.

Firmware & Software will be freely available. Hardware will be fully compatible to the Mizoo-Project, so you can continue to use this hardware if you want to switch to his project once he releases it.

Wiring instructions will be provided and it should be possible to realize this project with basic soldering skills (only the servo plugs and the D-Sub connectors have to be soldered, everything else is just terminal installation).

The project is still in the very early stages, so don't expect too much out of it at this point. Most of the development is still very experimental. You can follow the project and grow along with it, but be warned: this is all at your own risk. It may not be compatible with other sims for quite some time and it will not run on platforms other than Windows Vista or newer.

Upvote 0
You're a bit off on your translations I'm afraid.

At the moment there is only a telemetry based app (like a motion sim software like E69 Motion, X-Sim or SimCommander) that supports iRacing and hopefully soon AC and rF.

The project is still in the very early stages, so don't expect too much out of it at this point. Most of the development is still very experimental. You can follow the project and grow along with it, but be warned: this is all at your own risk. It may not be compatible with other sims for quite some time and it will not run on platforms other than Windows Vista or newer.

Ok so as it is now
  • 950-1100
  • Telemetry based app, does that mean you can drive i racing with it now ? ( IE its FFB is based of signals that motion platforms typically use rather than the generic windows based FFB / DRX FFB)
  • Do you know if Mizoos project eliminates the need for the Argon Servo Drive ?
  • 1 year or so until more user friendly project is likely available (give or take)
Thanks for responding ( what is this in English lol Schrittmotorsteuerungen ? ( servo motor controler unit ? )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right now you can drive iRacing and AC (experimentally). You will always need a servo drive stage to control a servo. Mizoo uses the Granite Devices' VSD-E, I use the successor - the Granite Devices Argon Servo Drive. Mizoos project will be compatible to both systems, mine will only work on the Argon. The Argon is slightly more expensive than the discontinued VSD-E, but eliminates the need for an external expensive power supply as it is built in into the Argon. Due to this fact and the extended configuration possibilities it makes it rather easy to exchange motors at will. So if you already have a suitable motor you could that one.

Upvote 0
Right now you can drive iRacing and AC (experimentally). You will always need a servo drive stage to control a servo. Mizoo uses the Granite Devices' VSD-E, I use the successor - the Granite Devices Argon Servo Drive. Mizoos project will be compatible to both systems, mine will only work on the Argon. The Argon is slightly more expensive than the discontinued VSD-E, but eliminates the need for an external expensive power supply as it is built in into the Argon. Due to this fact and the extended configuration possibilities it makes it rather easy to exchange motors at will. So if you already have a suitable motor you could that one.

Ah ok , that makes sense now , Its a shame that the Granite Devices Argon Servo Drive is so expensive ! Though I can see why its expensive as it has allot of features and is primeraly a commercial device.

I Guess its the sort of thing that keeps its value, but then I don't see any going on Ebay so I wonder how easy it would be to sell should someone not think this project is for them !

Keep up the good work :)

Upvote 0
The device is pretty new (only a few months since they released it) and I do think that it will pop up at some point. But it also is a thing you usually keep for a lifetime..

Upvote 0
Hi read this thread a quite a few times now. Lovely project you have going here.
I would love a wheel setup like this looks built to last many years. Certainly something I would like to have a go at.
Could you not use a slip ring system of some sort to get round the cabling to Wheel, maybe with only USB wires going through it ? probably missed something obvious but was a thought.
looking forward to your progress on this. :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back