Monitor & TV

No problem Jacek! All input is welcome to try to solve the problem :)

Tried COD4 yesterday and that runs great so I am starting to think it is GTRE and GTR2 specific. But didn't do all the testing I planned so no conclusions (or better, solution) yet.

The problem is finally solved!

I tried so many different settings but the problem was the AA settings :pig: I changed the in the Catalyst Control Center to "use application settings" and on in GTRE to 1 x AA. This solved all of my problems, see here the results of the different settings. I am driving my standard 3min on Monza using fraps:

1 x AA ingame:
Frames: 28815 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 160.083 - Min: 130 - Max: 205

2 x AA ingame:
Frames: 19384 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 107.689 - Min: 75 - Max: 176

3 x AA ingame:
Frames: 7053 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 39.183 - Min: 21 - Max: 119

For the rest everything is maxed out. I'm using now the 2 x AA but dont see a lot of difference with 1 x AA.

Thanks for all the help guys, this is really appriciated! A special thanks goes out to David who helped me all this time via PM.

Now it is *finally* time to join some online races :beer:

• Jacek Kozlowski

Good to read that You solved Your problem Ivo.2 weeks ago ive notice that sometimes when i run GTRevo shadows(this didnt happen always and just for few tracks) were kind of blinking(dont know how to explain better).It all started when i downladed fix for ati cards for Far Cry2...i think
I tryed many things to solve that(one that worked was going back to normal ati drivers without fix) but other thing that worked,and still could use that fix, was setting antylasting in CCC to use game setting and in game to 2x just like in Your case Ivo...but this is strange as i thought my can pc can run evo with evrything on full....At least i could when i had 8800gts but no with 4870x2-maybe its just drivers problem..?

Good to read that You solved Your problem Ivo.2 weeks ago ive notice that sometimes when i run GTRevo shadows(this didnt happen always and just for few tracks) were kind of blinking(dont know how to explain better).It all started when i downladed fix for ati cards for Far Cry2...i think
I tryed many things to solve that(one that worked was going back to normal ati drivers without fix) but other thing that worked,and still could use that fix, was setting antylasting in CCC to use game setting and in game to 2x just like in Your case Ivo...but this is strange as i thought my can pc can run evo with evrything on full....At least i could when i had 8800gts but no with 4870x2-maybe its just drivers problem..?

It does look like Ati cards have more problems with GTR then Nvidia. I red a lot about video cards on RSC and it seems Nvidia is just doing better in our game. But with the Nvidia cards (I had the 9800GT) the settings in the control panel didn't work for me. When changing the AA settings for example it didn't do anything. Use Nhancer was the advice, but that program was not so easy imho.

Changing settings in the Ati control center works immediately but there the other problems show up. Especially with your card, the X2, this game should run every AA setting without a problem.

I wonder, does anyone use 3 x AA in game settings succesfully?

• David Hal

why does nobody run with vsync on?
Don't know Ben, what's the advantage of that? The framerates are more stable I assume but it doesn't improve the overall framerates I think?[/quote]

Here's a good explanation:wink2:

Richard Leader said:
The refresh rate of the monitor is also connected to FPS in games because the game can only draw a new frame as the monitor also begins to draw a new frame. If your monitor is only running at 60 Hz, it would then be impossible for it to display over 60 FPS, even if your computer were generating them. In fact, you would often be seeing far less than 60 FPS as the computer can only draw a new frame when the monitor is also beginning to draw a new frame. If another frame is ready to be drawn and the monitor is still in the process of drawing the last, this new frame is lost, and so would any others that were created during the interval of drawing that frame. This can sometimes result in a significant number of dropped frames.​

tearing.jpg

To get around this limitation, gamers often disable a feature called "v-sync" or "vertical sync" in their video drivers (the function is usually buried several layers deep in their computer's display properties). By turning v-sync off, the monitor is then effectively fed partial frames, as it begins drawing the latest frame available without waiting for a new cycle to "sync." But as only partial frames are drawn, this can sometimes result in "tearing" (this is more noticeable in games that use DirectX rather than those which use OpenGl, as the latter actually does not contain a v-sync function and handles the feature differently) where "seams" appear when there is fast motion in games--though this is encountered far less with modern video cards than it was in the past as it is more evident in displays with lower refresh rates (60-72 HZ.)..​

Ivo IJsseldijk said:
I wonder, does anyone use 3 x AA in game settings succesfully?
Im running GTR-E with 3 x AA ingame, without any problem.
I tried with lower settings ingame, but it didn't gave me much more fps,
so im back with 3 x AA.
Im using the Cat 8.10 without the fix for FC2.
I've also got shadows quality on high.

• Jacek Kozlowski

David i just downladed new ATI drivers and CCC 8.11 ,i ll see how it will worke with those..

• Jacek Kozlowski

Not really.I still dont understand whats going on-its not happening all the time and its nothing that stops me from playing GTRevo but its annoying.
I think its only when i run evo affter longer time of my pc runing or when i first play different game for longer time and then launch evo...but not sure about that??.I had that on beggining when bought 4870x2 and in CCC put very high Settings for example-AA x16,anisotropic filtering x16....and when tryed to play evo some background shadows were kind of blinking(i think that You David wrote about this in another topic that when You put high AAx16 and AFx16 You had this kind of problem when using cockpit viev or open-but dont remember if that was Your post.?). Now i have this sometimes even when in CCC i put "use aplication settings" and in game set. i have AA for 3.Dont know why?
Its nothing really big but if someone would know a solution for this i would be appreciated.

As for 8.11 David i think there are ok,i saw little improvment in Brothers in arms and in World at war...but just few fps

• David Hal

In the first days with the 4870X2,
i ran GTR-E with every setting on max.

But had some problem with stutter in external view.

Somebody said, on another forum, that GTR-E runs better with
ingame AA control then with AA control from CCC.

It solved my problem with the stutter.

As with the shadow, i've set shadows and shadow quality to high, instead of max.
It had something to do with an fps-hit, i thought it was.
Never switched it back.

I've downloaded 8.11, but did not yet installed it.
I shall make some benchmarks with the 8.10 before i
switch to 8.11

What 22" tft screen do you use?

Hi,

I am looking for a new screen.

After having a Viewsonic vx2255wmb - Too much noise
and a Samsung 2253BW - too white/bright

I decided to ask fellow gamers instead of reading reviews on the net.

I am looking for a 22" of 200-220 euros. Nothing special, just needs good colors and no noise.

What screens do you guys have?

Thanks.

I have the Samsung 225BW and I find it to be great. If you are finding it too white / bright, have you tried adjusting it to suit. I could tune mine to any brightness I wanted.

Samsung 226BW 22" here, come quite cheap these days and it is a proper screen for gaming. Colours are good/Excellent, response time is superb and looks the dogs. I play FPS games on it as well and nothing but good.
As for graphics with EXPERT photoshopping etc...no idea since I do not use it for that.

Only 1 thing !! I want bigger ! LOL

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back