Monitor & TV

• Jacek Kozlowski

You mean distance from tv.Its about 120cm when i play simracing games so its close,i took picture from about 3m

made another 2 videos from the race at pau on monday

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pWs7ST13ris[/media] with ramon in front and gregor behind

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a44XETNLFKM[/media]

Some very nice pictures! Thanks for the efforts Ben and Jacek. Nice pictures of your screen Ben, very good image it seems. Love Jackek' setup too, also the others in the link you posted. I'm still 'fighting' with the store to return the TV but no luck yet.

I also have a 8800GT and I use 2 monitors with it, no problems. 1 monitor for racing and the 2. for SimView

Same here with no prob's (two at 1680 x 1050 on 22" Samsung 226BW's) :thumb:
... although I recently acquired a 2nd 8800GT for my machine, so currently I have one graphics card running each monitor ... or can switch to SLI as necessary (there is also supposed to be a new graphics driver out soon that allows sli and dual view so no need to switch between SLi and non-SLI ... looking forward to that :wink:

So, managed to return the Toshiba TV and got the full refund, finally. Even better, I already bought a new TV, the Sony 40W4500. Yes it is a big one again but I did research on the avforums and they are right: the image is very impressive! The difference between the Toshiba and this one are big so if anyone is looking to buy a decent LCD TV the Sony is one to watch. Also, the problems of the Toshiba are not here and in general it much easier to the eye. I will post some pictures of my racing rig soon when I finished cleaning it up a bit :D

Please allow me to highjack my own thread :nono: I do have some strange problem now, not TV related but FPS related.

When driving on the Ring in GTRE I dont get higher fps (using Fraps) then about 40 and all the way down to 12 when driving between the trees. Strange thing is that changing the settings doesnt seem to help. Changed the AA and AS setting of the graphic card (down to 2x each) and also changed some settings in game (no shadows, low detail) but it remains the same.

I dont feel my system has a bottelneck somewhere but maybe I'm wrong:

Asus P5B motherboard
Core 2 duo E6600 2.4
2GB ddr 553mhz
Ati 4850 512mb

It can not be the memory, can it? If not, what else can it be?

Still not racing as I would like, but almost there :)

edit: it's the same in GTR2 and HL2: low fps (down to 21) which stays the same when chaning some settings. Sounds lke there must be a bottleneck.

• Jacek Kozlowski

Good to hear that You finally return tv.I think Ivo its good that You bought new one 40" beacouse i think with my new buy i will alsow go for 40" as 32" now seem to me to small now:).I just have to wait for my new apartment.I might even go for same model as Your Sony as You read that its good.
Dont know anything about Your FPS problem thou,its probably got somthink to do with g.settings or card..?

Thanks Jacek, it feels nice indeed the TV is finally returned. Good thinking, first the new department and then the TV :) You can read a lot about the Sony on avforums, really usefull info over there.

Yeah, will install the latest drivers and so on to see whats going on. It wasnt like that with the previous TV but I think the TV can not be responsible for a drop in fps I would say. Wel, some fiddle work to do. Can't wait till its done so I can join a race here on racedepartment :)

• David Hal

I dont feel my system has a bottelneck somewhere but maybe I'm wrong:

Asus P5B motherboard
Core 2 duo E6600 2.4
2GB ddr 553mhz
Ati 4850 512mb

It can not be the memory, can it? If not, what else can it be?

I dont know much about computers,
but looking at your ram, i think thats your problem.
DDR ram modules with an speed of 553Mhz, where nice a few years back.
Today you can buy ram modules of 1600Mhz.

Not sure about your cpu,
but looking at my system, i know that my cpu (E6700) is the bottleneck for my 4870x2.

Btw, wich OS are you running atm?
If you're using Vista, then your probably a little short on memory also.
Vista alone use about 1G of memory, and GTR-E almost the same..

Thanks David. Running XP and indeed the memory and the CPU are from a few years back, actualy the whole pc is :)
I'm running in 1920 x 1080 resolution which is pretty high.

Could I place a faster CPU on my motherboard? It is also not the newest anymore. It supports up to DDR-800 memory but probably that doesnt help either?

Changing the motherboard I can not do myself, a CPU I think I can do and meomory is easy ofcourse.

• David Hal

First of all, i cant look into your wallet:)
Second, like i said, i dont know much about computers.

So im not gonna say that you must upgrade your cpu and/or mobo.

Recently i did upgrade my computer, just for good running with Evolution.
Only im still waiting for the pricedrop of the Q9650.

A few days back, i've read somewhere that Intel will soon release a new kind of cpu's.
Therefore the cpu in stock will take a drop in price.

I think that there are plenty of people on this forum, who know much about hardware, and give you the right advise for upgrade.

I also recommend to pay a visit to
http://www.tomshardware.com/us/#redir

Take a look at reviews of products, and their benchmark-results.

Btw,
Changing the motherboard I can not do myself, a CPU I think I can do and meomory is easy ofcourse.
Changing the motherboard isn't that difficult, it's also written in the mobo manual how it must be done.

If your place the cpu, i recommend to use Artic Silver instead of the stock thermal paste, that came with it.
With Artic Silver there will be a better temperature transfer from cpu to cpu-cooler.

A few days later :)

Well, I upgraded my system a bit again with a Club 3 4870 1GB DDR5 OC and 2GB of OCZ Reaper pc6400 running at 950mhz. My processor (E6600) is running at 2.7ghz now. Also changed the psu to a 630watt coolermaster.

And guess what, I won a few frames. Still down to 20fps on Monza for example so there still is a bottleneck.

How do you know your cpu is your bottleneck? I read here and there that most games are not cpu hungry? You've do have an impressive system! How much fps do you get in GTR Evolution? And in what resolution is that?

I also read that games don't use quadcore and therefore a dualcore should be fine. Well, there's a lot to read out there.

• David Hal

How do you know your cpu is your bottleneck? I read here and there that most games are not cpu hungry?

From what i've read;

For getting the max out of an 4870x2, you need at least an cpu with 3Ghz.

What i understand from it, is that when the 4870x2 is running at max speed, the cpu with less than 3GHz cannot keep up with the speed for giving data towards the gpu.

About most games not cpu hungry, im not really sure.
Most normal games, like FPS, they run fine on a normal cpu.

But i think about "simulations" are a bit more demanding.
The computer has more things to calculate.
A very good example is FSX.

With simulators, most people have also some other programs running on the background (Motec, Teamspeak ect)

But the computer hardware is getting better, and faster.
Therefore software developers are (trying) to make more heavier games,
just because we "gamers" are "demanding" that from them.
So we can have full joy of our "uber" systems.

Future will tell.

How much fps do you get in GTR Evolution? And in what resolution is that?

I just did a quick run at monza.
Resolution at 1920x1440x32
All setting on max, except Shadows on High, and Shadow Quality on High.
19 Opponents

At Grid (start) 46FPS
Race - A very few times hit the 47 low, and 76 high.
Most of the time it was between the 52 and the 67.

Your FPS isn't that great (20)
You should try to get it at 30+.
The normal human eye, cannot see the frames, when the FPS is over the 30.

Do you have alot of programs running on the background?
Regular defrag? (Manually or auto?)
Is your OS clean? (no unwanted programs. You can check this with HitmanPro for example.)
http://www.hitmanpro.nl/hitmanpro/

In the days, when i was in the flightsim community, alot of people made use of FSAutostart.
It was a small program, just for gain some more ram.
(You could turn things off in windows, wich you didn't need)
Im not sure, if you gain something with it in GTR-Evoluion.
It seems there is a new version of FSautostart;
http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

There's also a possibility to tweak your Windows a bit,
by turning some services to off.
I did it always, in the days with XP.
Here's a good info site about it.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Thanks a lot for your efforts David.

I'm still very impressed with your FPS. Today I upgraded my PC with an E8500 and stick with the OCZ memory and did a fresh Windows XP SP3 install. And guess what... still the same fps. When using the same settings as you it even goes down to 17fps. at my lower reslution 1080p.

Really dont know what to do anymore. Changed the VGA card, the CPU, the memory, the PSU and did a fresh install.

It dont think tweaking windows would help for me as the FPS should be easily at 50. Something is bottlenecking but dont know what it is. Not much left now, the sounds? The motherboard? Maybe WinXP? The HDD?

You can imagine it pretty frustrating as I spend a lot of money and nothing changed :censored:

• Jacek Kozlowski

Ivo what motherboard do You have??If its this one wich can support only ddr ram -NOT ddr2 or ddr3 so i think thats main reason for low FPS on Your PC....as 8500 is for sure good processor and graphic card that You have should handle most games with good result so last thing is motherboard and ram.Most people use at least 2gigs of ddr2 (at least 800mhz) with XP and with vista even 4gigsDDR2 (i have like this)..... ddr ram is for today games not enough.
So after changing motherboard and ram i think it should be fine,and mboard that is pretty good isnt that expensive as cpu or gpu are,ddr2 ram is alsow pretty chip now.
Im not to good when it comes to technical stuff but i think that this should work and with other stuff that You allready have it would be really good pc.

Ivo what motherboard do You have??If its this one wich can support only ddr ram -NOT ddr2 or ddr3 so i think thats main reason for low FPS on Your PC....as 8500 is for sure good processor and graphic card that You have should handle most games with good result so last thing is motherboard and ram.Most people use at least 2gigs of ddr2 (at least 800mhz) with XP and with vista even 4gigsDDR2 (i have like this)..... ddr ram is for today games not enough.
So after changing motherboard and ram i think it should be fine,and mboard that is pretty good isnt that expensive as cpu or gpu are,ddr2 ram is alsow pretty chip now.
Im not to good when it comes to technical stuff but i think that this should work and with other stuff that You allready have it would be really good pc.

It's the Asus P5B plain. Installed the latest Bios dated the 11th of july 2008. The memory I also replaced, using now 2GB OCZ reaper DDR2 800mhz (PC6400) running at 833mhz.

The motherboard is not the latest one indeed but does support all the new hardware with the latest Bios. I can not imagine this is slowing the system down, but when necessary I'll replace it.

Surprisingly my 3Dmark06 score is good, 13146. Therefore I am currently benchmarking with other games to see how they go.

• Jacek Kozlowski

OK so Your mb is quite good and i think You have enough ram to run pretty much everything nowdays.....sorry i thought that You still run on ddr ram.I dont think that this motherboard should be a bottleneck than.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 481 38.9%