PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

Another test this morning. As suggested by those with no real names. :p:)

Silverstone with the Aston Martin GT4. 60 lap race variable weather starting at 9am.
I will say this, the variable changing weather is fantastic. I started the race in cloudy, gloomy conditions but by lap 30 the sun was starting to show up. By lap 40 it was a beautiful summer June day. I love it. I also like the dirt build up on the car.
ss110150_zps3e93729d.png

ss112500_zps65ecc11b.png

ss112903_zpsfc6964de.png

Now the AI at this track race fair and close at times. A bit of bumping and dive bombing. Great stuff and I really do hope they fix the AI for all tracks. But the AI is not perfect. The radio told my simulated driver to come in on lap 14. He completely ignored the instruction for 3 more laps. Then he came in. Promptly ran over the tyres and did a refuel and tyre change at default pitstop settings. When released he killed the jack man by running him over (sad, he'd been with the team for years :cry: :thumbsdown:). But luckily by the next pitstop (the next lap..:cautious:) his twin brother stepped in and during the pit exit, he was spared strangely.

ss112553_zpsed8e5984.png

ss112616_zps6ca3cba1.png

ss112632_zpsf69adbd2.png

ss111756_zpsf9e23e59.png

I love the overlays you can have, with the tyre temps, G force, brake temps and all. Excellent stuff and quite interesting to see the changes as the race progresses.

ss105837_zpsfe9b93eb.png

But this didn't stop my simulated driver (me) from getting out on track in 2nd place and do some more hard racing. I also watched the other cars do their pit stop in the same manner.

ss112353_zpsbd945340.png

ss110040_zps26020d7c.png

Then for the rest of the race, my simulated driver pitted for fuel and tyres every lap, and came last funny enough (perhaps he just wanted pit stop practice). Well I presume he did because the race and the game crashed on lap 58 locking my PC so that I needed to hard close it down. This happens quite a lot watching replays and simulated racing as a spectator, but not so much when actually driving myself. So there are some bugs there that need sorting. But as this is still in development (as if I still need reminding) I am sure they will be working on it now.
ss112542_zps938f28ae.png

So as you can see, the AI is good at racing at Silverstone but it has major surgery needed to be good and proper by release date in November. The pit stop animations are pretty poor and remind me of Nascar Racing 2003's pit stops in quality. Not as good by any stretch of the imagination compared to say Codies F1 series. In fact, I'd say Microprose's GP4's pits stops are better in my opinion. For a super race sim that Pcars hopes to be, I really do hope that the pit crew animations are place holders and the real stuff will come soon in one of the next builds.

More testing to come folks.

All the best
Andy
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice to have a friendly conversation Mr Antisocial Kid or whatever your name is in real life.
Thanks.

Andy:thumbsup:

If it's that important Andy, my name is Duncan. Apart from WMD, I tend to use a username on forums.

So as you can see, the AI is good at racing at Silverstone but it has major surgery needed to be good and proper by release date in November. The pit stop animations are pretty poor and remind me of Nascar Racing 2003's pit stops in quality. Not as good by any stretch of the imagination compared to say Codies F1 series. In fact, I'd say Microprose's GP4's pits stops are better in my opinion. For a super race sim that Pcars hopes to be, I really do hope that the pit crew animations are place holders and the real stuff will come soon in one of the next builds.

More testing to come folks.

All the best
Andy
:thumbsup:

If I recall correctly, there isn't proper code set up for the AI and pitting, hence the goofy behaviour.

The pit animations are indeed WIP, isn't there still missing animations and teleporting going on? I admittedly haven't tried pitting in some time, so I'm not 100% sure.

This is looking to become a great game. I know theres a lot of WIP badges still around, but from when i last played, about a year ago now i think, its a whole different world.

Already got my copy preordered so Nov 21st cant come quick enough!
Thanks for the updates lads!

Last edited:
Did some more testing at the Nordshliefe Green Hell circuit. SMS have nailed the external replays now. The replays are very good with great camera positions.

I did a quick video today of a session I drove this morning. 9 am start, with bright morning sunlight. Recorded with my mobile and low res to make it look like real in-car footage. Probably looks crap but I like it. Look at the sunrays about half way through. By the way, first time in ages, but a nice 7:40 lap time.

ps, the blood curdling scream at half way was my dopey son screaming whem Arsenal scored today. :mad::unsure::whistling:

Last edited:
Not bad, Andy. As always. I don't care about the opinions as such (although it's good for you if you can find something to like) as long as things are kept real and the testing scenario is relevant. We are now getting somewhere, as you say :thumbsup:

Thanks, but opinions is all you'll get. And my testing is purely at my design. So not really bothered if it gets your approval or not.

Cheers any way. :thumbsup: ;)

There's still tons of work to be done, more testers and constructive feedback will be useful, even if it's not the most technical kind; just backing up others opinions that you agree with has merit.

According to the WMD/SMS forum under game schedule, this Race sim went Beta in August. I thought Beta was feature complete? Just polishing and tweaking now?
Try an AI race with the nascars. Some go backwards at the start literally. Loads of work to be done I think.

Thanks, but opinions is all you'll get. And my testing is purely at my design. So not really bothered if it gets your approval or not.
Cheers any way. :thumbsup: ;)
Never thought for a second you were, and I was fully expecting a dismissive reply - so I can only say that you don't disappoint at all today :laugh:

But in all seriousness, your latest test design took cues from reason, and whether you care or not, I think the sim community is much better served by reasoned testing than, ahem, the other kind. I, for one, welcome it. And that is my opinion. You may now dismiss this message :p

According to the WMD/SMS forum under game schedule, this Race sim went Beta in August. I thought Beta was feature complete? Just polishing and tweaking now?
Try an AI race with the nascars. Some go backwards at the start literally. Loads of work to be done I think.

As always the well informed Andy at his best :thumbsup:

The "OVAL" racing was moved to a DLC about 6 month ago, hence no work done there.

But there is still TONS of work to be done, so there we agree.

Inserting some well known FACTS in this interesting ANDYS OPINION thread
can hardly be taken as derailing the subject.

The late obsession with names......:D

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,
commander of the Armies of the North,
General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant
to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius.

ONT, if you don't like my thread with my opinions. Don't read it. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing. It's just manners.
There's a nice chap. :sleep::thumbsup:

I'm not the bomb thrower around here using inflammatory insinuations in
every other sentence.

Heavy investors, simcade, etc, etc, etc.

I like to read You'r opinions, some are valid.

The times I like to add a little to the "Andy Blog" is where You missed
posted FACTS in the WMD forum (You stated You don't read It).

Your friend MAX

Inserting some well known FACTS in this interesting ANDYS OPINION thread
can hardly be taken as derailing the subject.

The late obsession with names......:D

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,

Maximus, ONT, valet de chambre #007, or whatever you are...You are taking this "beef" with Andy to new heights of annoyance.

Andy has his opinions. You have your opinion. Let him be, it's best for everyone here reading this thread. And it's better for Project CARS.

The times I like to add a little to the "Andy Blog" is where You missed
posted FACTS in the WMD forum (You stated You don't read It).

Then just post those "FACTS". Nothing more.

Let me firs say i really enjoy reading Your post Chronus, insight full and professional.

And You have a good point in this one to.
But last time I checked this is a forum, a place for debate, and not a blog.

When Andy comes out swinging with his opinion there need to be a (FACT) and opinion balance.

I may take it a little more personal than most, I'm no investor but spent a lot of time on track reference, got permission and walked Willow Springs track and got 200+ photos and same at Sonoma (less phothos) etc.

ONT,

I'd rather read your impressions on CARS (be them your assessment of how the sim feels at major builds, etc, or simply a report from within WMD) than this streak of posts between you and Andy.

Actually, isn't this forum the best of places for a constructive, positive clash of opinions? You have yours, Dean has his, Andy, David and others have theirs. Then, people toss in some findings, facts, curious things, and voilá, everyone gains from this.

And I'm sure that, even standing to gain many millions with pCARS from console sales, I'd bet Ian et al don't quite want to relinquish the impulse given by the PC crowd (which I believe most of us here represent) in the future due to a bad rep from WMD members who can't stand the sight of criticism.

So...why not toss in facts, data, impressions, even positive clashes, but avoid negative, annoying posts?

Again: I very much prefer your posts when technical or objective to...the other stuff.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back