PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

Well back to my thread and some of my latest build testing.
ss092716_zpsdee9ffa6.png

What can I say? It is turning a corner I think. Visually it still is very much Shift 2.5. But pyhsics and handling are GTR2 ish. It is getting better, much better. I had some great testing sessions at Cadwell Park (which needs more trees around the hairpin and Barn corner part of the track) and at Oulton Park.
These two tracks are making the game for me. They are very very realistic. How do I know? Because I use them regularly on bike track days. Infact, I have more time to test now because I broke my collar bone at Cadwell (funnily enough, Barn corner) a month ago on a track day.
ss092559_zps9d0d1d38.png

The cars seem to be handling really great now on full sim mode. I like the way the move and squirm. I still don't like the Shift 2 type of graphics though and I think I will experiment more on configuring the visual options to try and get rid of speed blur and haze etc.

ss092456_zps01847d56.png

Replays are getting much better. And the new spectate mode whilst the AI takes the car around is quite good. I would still like to see a directors mode though.
Sounds are very good. Love the RUF sounds. Tried the Astons around BRNO too and really enjoyed it.

ss090914_zps092c1970.png

With not long to go (November) till release, I still think they are going to struggle to get the game ready. Many glitches in the replays are still there. Loads of weirdly placed cams etc on some tracks.

ss092632_zps2ca93d7b.png

The AI is getting better and I had some interesting and very close battles with them at Cadwell and Oulton Park as seen in the top pics. I had a right battle with one car for the whole race. I look forward to trying out the full game with it's championships and full race meetings with pit stops etc. Roll on November. It's looking damn good.

Andy

Last edited:
Nice little review there Andy, one that I mostly agree with. I like the graphics just fine, they are even great using the DK2 with low resolution. Cadwell Park and Oulton Park are my favorite tracks at the moment, usually running the Formula Rookie. The cars that have their sounds tweaked are great so far - adds to to immersion greatly. Running in the rain is incredible with the DK2, I swear I can smell the rain!

A quick note on the latest build,

Basically broken, but will be fixed after the weekend.
An attempt to address low speed grip loss has gone a little wacko :whistling:

It is as far as I know effacing all track/cars, should be fixed in Monday build.

Unintended track grip raised x 10 or x 100 or whatever it is lol.

Sold.....I will get P.Cars when released. Looks amazing, I am a member of NO Grip where it all started and know the support will be fantastic as well. Must say, Racedepartment is impressing me also. SlightlyMad makes me slightlyHappy......lol

The Oculus Rift consumer version will be a must have for most - no doubt in my mind. I have ruled out the need for having triple monitors, it's just not comparable to feeling like you are in the car.
This is the answer I was looking for. This sounds exciting for me. I have a Ricmotech DIY cockpit and have been wanting to get a triple monitor setup, but so expensive. I am sure the Consumer version will be comparably expensive, but... From what I have seen awesome upgrade to any game.

A quick note on the latest build,
Basically broken, but will be fixed after the weekend.
An attempt to address low speed grip loss has gone a little wacko :whistling:
It is as far as I know effacing all track/cars, should be fixed in Monday build.
Unintended track grip raised x 10 or x 100 or whatever it is lol.

Thank you for posting this. I just tested the Formula A at Monza and it was ridiculous. I shattered my own personal record and got within the pCARS world record on my second lap. The car reacted OK on the kerbs and in other places, but on the asphalt it was like the tires were crazy glue brand. I realize this is a 2011 F1 car, but still. I was really disappointed that such a bad lap, full of my own errors and after such a long time since last driving this car could be so unrealistically fast.

I am looking forward to the fix.

The one thing I am still very concerned about is the AI. They are terrible. With all the other stuff they have to code and the bugs that no doubt will appear in the process, I don't know if they'll have the time to create a good AI for this game. I sure hope so because for us in the US west coast, AI is indispensable. We have a huge ocean to the west with not many likely multiplayers opponents unless we figure out a way to promote the sport to merchant sailors.

This is the answer I was looking for. This sounds exciting for me. I have a Ricmotech DIY cockpit and have been wanting to get a triple monitor setup, but so expensive. I am sure the Consumer version will be comparably expensive, but... From what I have seen awesome upgrade to any game.
The Rift consumer version (CV1) is projected to be in the $250 - $300 range. With increased resolution and lower latency, it should perform quite well compared to the DK2. The 3D is also very effective in the rift. I don't notice any eyestrain at all unlike watching some movies in 3D. The spacial awareness and sense of presence along with the ability to look where you want puts the rift on a whole new level. It's easier to judge distance to other cars, walls, the edge of the track, etc. I think it also helps me to hit the apex more consistently. The head-tracking makes cars with limited visibility much easier to drive as you can look into the turns and even peer around the a-pillars a bit if needed.

Last-night, I ran some laps in the FC with a variety of car-types for opponents. It was quite thrilling to run next to them and look to the side at the other cars. It felt as though I could reach out and touch the center-cap of their wheels. The water spray effects coming off the tires of AI cars is the best I've seen in a game, very convincing with some combined aero-effect as well. The graphics in Pcars will really shine with the Rift, even though the display-resolution currently leaves much to be desired. The level of visual and aural realism is far from playing something like LFS where you are constantly reminded that you are in a "game". In Pcars, I feel like I'm in a alternate universe where I'm a race car driver. Every layer of physical feedback added will only increase the immersion more.

Last edited:
Sounds like most things are back to "normal" in regards to grip (build 804),

but some reporting Lotus 98T and Formula A still seems to have "Supergrip (tm)".

My understanding was that the "Supergrip (tm)" bug was track surface related not car.

So it's possible some tracks values has not gotten a reset from the inflated abrasion values.

If You'r car tips over in the turns (like iRacings first RUF release) you got a bugged track/car.

Help stomp out bugs......report them in WMD forum :thumbsup:

bug-stomping.png

Last edited:
AI work is starting ....test this.

"About AI - the test scenario we're using at the moment is the AM Vantage GT3 at Silverstone GP, identical AI (you can use same class as well but it could confuse the pure AI test results a bit).

Many cars and tracks have not been finished or optimized for AI yet, so please don't pick random combinations and expect it to work.

The two main issues we've identified (pit behavior aside) are a relative lack of awareness of the player car (compared to how they treat each other), and the inability for the player car to move them aside or spin them out with contact (they act rather "heavy" in this scenario compared to the player car).

Beyond those two issues I've been very happy with the AI behavior after the weekend fixes - by far the most convincing they've been and better than any of our previous games imo."

AI work is starting ....test this.

"About AI - the test scenario we're using at the moment is the AM Vantage GT3 at Silverstone GP, identical AI (you can use same class as well but it could confuse the pure AI test results a bit).

Many cars and tracks have not been finished or optimized for AI yet, so please don't pick random combinations and expect it to work.

The two main issues we've identified (pit behavior aside) are a relative lack of awareness of the player car (compared to how they treat each other), and the inability for the player car to move them aside or spin them out with contact (they act rather "heavy" in this scenario compared to the player car).

Beyond those two issues I've been very happy with the AI behavior after the weekend fixes - by far the most convincing they've been and better than any of our previous games imo."
What are currently the best combo track/car/AI for some fun SP action?

I'd love to race the AI with the right settings where I don't drive by cars banging their front end against the barriers in a remote corner of a run off or seeing 3 or 4 cars simply just drive off the track in unison.

I also would love to do a few laps without the cars behind me sending me in orbit if I choose to break a bit earlier.

Like its stated in the quote "Many cars and tracks have not been finished or optimized for AI yet, so please don't pick random combinations and expect it to work."

There is a list on the WMD forum for cars with updated AI, I don't think there is a list for AI track pathing (going of track, missing apex, running outer line on sweeping turns etc) You have to look at track progression threads.

The official TEST is only for one track/car combo "the test scenario we're using at the moment is the AM Vantage GT3 at Silverstone GP, identical AI"

and the testing started YESTERDAY so don't expect it to work, that combo is the first going in to a beta stage, where looking for bugs is the goal.

Report bugs in WMD forum :thumbsup:

New build # 805

"Is Mount Panorama Licensed?
Looks like it.
Also Road America & Watkins Glen & Daytona have official logos :) "

"Just tried the Aston GT3 at Road America and it feels ten times better over last night"

"Known issues:
- Replays: Working but sometimes you can't watch saved replays plus other issues
- Speed sensitive camera option is missing from UI
- Presets defaults are not properly configured, check the Gameplay options and also the Controllers in case you use automatic gears.
- Preset screen will keep appearing if you choose Pro, it doesn't alter the changes you made, just a minor annoyance."

Latest build test for me! I am dissapointed.

I was spectating a 64 lap race of AI at Oulton Park GT class, 12 opponents. I like the way you can now click on another driver and watch them in the race. But the AI are cheats and are always cutting chicanes and going grass tracking without slowing.

But, one driver crashed and lost his rear left hand wheel. So I watched what was going to happen. The other cars bumped their way past him literally like bumper cars, no sence of intelligent passing. He then drove all the way to the pits, sparks flying and all good.
I thought, hey he's going into the pits, cool. Well he did by crashing into the armco on the way and basically bouncing of the walls.

He went to his pit box and stone me if the mechanics tried to fix him and change wheels. Cool again. They changed all his wheel except the missing one. Obviously they couldn't swap this out because it wasn't there. So what did they do?

ss213255_zps98765b36.png

They sent him out again with 3 wheels. I carried on watching him limp all the way around, other AI cars crashing into him as if he wasn't there. He went into the pits every lap and they did the same thing. Absolute rubbish. Whoever is coding the AI needs firing or a crash course in AI coding quickly at night school. Even Codemasters do better with their AI and pit stops. Infact, I had a 50% race in F1 2013 straight after at Canada and realised that Codies game is quite a bit better at everything. Perhaps I made a mistake in thinking this was GTR 2 ish, so soon.

Yes I know it's Aplha or Pre Alpha or whatever they want to call it this week, but surely by now the AI should have been worked on better. For gawds sake its released very soon and must be going Beta very very soon.

Great AI. Not.:thumbsdown:

Come back Geoff Crammond.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back