PC1 Is Project CARS a simulation? lets vote!

Look Jim, you implied that I was forceful and that I forced my opinion upon others and that I'm awkward towards others. Please point a thread or post of mine where I am these things. I merely voice my opinion. Lets leave it at that. We all have opinions.
See you on track tomorrow.

Last edited:
pCars is an advancement in sim racing FFB. You will get used to it.
I am coming round to that way of thinking myself. Unfortunately it is a horrible mess to decipher but once you get balls deep into it, it is quite a eye opener. I am getting there!

After sorting my wheel out now I can sort each car out, then I can crack on with setups, then I may get to a race. Funny thing is I am enjoying it (masochist ?) :)

What I've noticed over the yrs is that casual gamers are trying to marginalize experienced/hardcore gamers, so various labels such as elitist and entitled have popped up along with the implied censorship.

I shake my head in amazement at people anticipating good games after you've spent yrs trying to silence/combat those who tend to take things seriously and expect full priced work to be in good working order (a few bugs aside).

Over at ISI forums, there's no need to ask whether this is sim or simcade as those type of technically minded individuals can't be hoodwinked like a casual gamer.

Well thank god you are here to help people see the light.

All too technical for me.

I just want to have fun and feel the tension that real race drivers must feel when they are in the cockpit and battling for position (i prefer MP). pCars, as well as many other sims, provides that but also brings:

nice graphics
decent FFB
weather (it's not just the rain either, temperature changes affect the handling as well)
tire wear
pit strategy

Why is it wrong to make these things accessible to "the masses"? Is it supposed to be solely reserved for people who want to spend $$ on a good PC and all the wheels, rigs, shifters... c'mon. Then people wonder why they hear the word elitist/master race.

I remember when AC came in november 2013, and i-ce-Racing fans told that it was too easy, no spin, too grip, weird ffb, etc, etc. and they said the same, AC was a simcade.
I love AC btw, and nowdays nobody argue about AC is not a simulator, the best feeling for me, very incomplete as race simulator although. :(
After AC, iRacing tried, bad try, to change its FFB and the behaviour cars, making them much more difficult to spin. The rest of the sims, PCars too, have trying to find the AC feeling. AC was the first to come a great FFB and now, players don´t admit nothing worse.

PCars is not so difficult to spin, try to push hard and probably you will lose the rear easier that you think. Some curbs are easy and another are tricky, same in AC, you know Mugello curbs are a pain but Nurgurgring are easy.
I have just to play with Audi GT3 and mate, it´s great the feeling to drive it, how the car changes with different setup and its strength. :thumbsup:

I try to be fair, I love AC, I want an AC complete race game, but PCars is not far from it at all as simulator. As RACE simulator game PCars wins easy, until AC complete its game if they are able to finish it, its driving simulator I mean. :D

I think PCars is a simulator without doubts for me, IMO.
If you don´t feel the FFB, the simulator fades, so FFB is the centre of the Universe.
I feel my T500rs perfectly, like AC, even better, feeling the car everytime. I explain here, thanks to @Skazz tips. :)
http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...er-t500rs-settings.105049/page-2#post-2005998

Before that, I felt the FFB good but I missed the progressive forces. Now I don´t find big differences with AC. I think prototypes are the strong point, I can feel those cars perfectly from my FFB.

Then, I would like to know, (with this deep car settings, the feeling when the tyres wear, the feeling under wet and rain, the rear spin when you start to traction after a turn, the countersteer, the weight transfer, the lock tyres, the great AI fighting hard (too hard sometimes yes), the downforce feeling, the slipstreaming, the awesome weather, the sound, the inmersion, etc. ) how is possible to doubt about if this is a simulator or not?

Think for a moment in iRacing with this FFB as good as I feel it, ((iRacing has been struggling with tyre model and FFB without success for me, how many settings do you have to adjust your FFB forces? 2?)) with these deep setting in all cars, with that weather, etc ..., PCars has much better FFB and much better tyre model, so could I say that it is not a simulator?

Of course, there are some bugs and things for improving and to complete, there is a big list in the official forums, but do you really don´t feel the LMP´s very good, don´t you feel when the car starts to lose grip, to slide, to lose the rear tyres, to start to spin, don´t you feel the progressive downforce in fast turns or in slow turns ...
I don´t find anything for saying PCars is not a race simulator (ofc could be improved like any other thing in life and I am sure it will be improved sooner than later) ;)

(excuse my English)
I completely agree with everything you state here, and there is no doubt in my mind this is a simulator as it represents almost everything you would expect from a good simulator! :)

Last edited:
I have to jump in due to the fact as some of you may or may not know is that fairly early on after all track additions were in I decided to limit myself to only testing cars at 1 location(So much of the material would seem as fresh to me as people just getting it for the first time) to focus on the progress of the cars physics wise and the track I was testing on was Watkins Glen and to this day the cars seem really good to me on that track. Since release and putting in time in other locations I am having somewhat of a mixed experience from the different combinations I have spent time with and so are my feelings mixed overall. I am maybe still not in agreement with the Simcade or Arcade tag but some of the characteristics of grip loss seems to need some polish there still. It could be in the values created for track surface characteristics and why the cars may seem really good to me at one track and not as much at another. However it is nothing that I cannot get some grips(pun) on with some time spent at the different locations but I can see where some of these combos may not feel exactly right fresh out of the box

There is indeed huge variations in the tracks. Not sure why or how this is the case.. probably due to the micro bump tech they are using. Some track creators put more effort in adding a complex bumpy surface while others didn't. Then again there are huge variations on grip levels in real life too. Some tracks are notoriously slippery.

I think the biggest issue that people think is "arcade" is due to the very progressive grip levels. Progressive being the key word here. At one point in the life of pCars we had extremely non-progressive grip and people would be sliding and spinning all over the place.. with tank slappers happening virtually every lap. This got quickly fixed but it is my feeling that it may have gone a bit too far on the progressive side of things, especially the slicks.

Anyhow, this is a long complex project and I'm sure the developers are still learning the tire model and all it's quirks and possibilities. We'll see what the future brings.. some really interesting tech was left out from the final release because it wasn't robust enough and ate to many CPU cycles.. but I'm sure they'll be adding all those goodies in to the game once they've matured a bit.

Sure they have been promoting it (and without payment, so guess why? ;)), but it's fact that Rast is actively using it for training/practice.

Not sure if anybody over here read it already , but there's a summary of all the feedback Collins and Hamilton gave on the Project CARS tire model and physics: http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/project-cars-driver-feedback-compilation-available/

Be sure to follow the download link, it contains a document with 415 (!) pages of feedback. So promotion is only a tiny bit of what they did, they in fact helped shape the entire physics engine (most notably the tire model).

And then there is of course the young driver initiative.

Thanks for this buddy, ive read some of it, and yes, indeed there feedback can be felt in the game.
They sure did help form the tire model, these are not some smal talks, its a 2 year feedback that is very detailed.

What I've noticed over the yrs is that casual gamers are trying to marginalize experienced/hardcore gamers, so various labels such as elitist and entitled have popped up along with the implied censorship.

I shake my head in amazement at people anticipating good games after you've spent yrs trying to silence/combat those who tend to take things seriously and expect full priced work to be in good working order (a few bugs aside).

Over at ISI forums, there's no need to ask whether this is sim or simcade as those type of technically minded individuals can't be hoodwinked like a casual gamer.

Your hatred makes sense now that it has been revealed that you were shown the door early in the PCARS development. You were clearly hurt from being cast out, and have since made it your mission to attempt to discredit this amazing game. Now I understand why you have spent years posting negatively but it's still staggering how much effort you have put in, yet to no avail, as the game has exceeded all expectations.

I don't believe you answered the question of whether you own the game at this time, and if this is true, it would be rather difficult to comment or provide your own opinion of it's status. I hope for your sake that you are not simply basing your opinions on youtube video reviews or simply on other people's opinions? Please tell me you aren't.

Since release and putting in time in other locations I am having somewhat of a mixed experience from the different combinations I have spent time with and so are my feelings mixed overall. I am maybe still not in agreement with the Simcade or Arcade tag but some of the characteristics of grip loss seems to need some polish there still.

You'll be talking like Big Ron next. ;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea