iRacing's Upcoming Releases

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
Let's keep a little thread going about what iRacing has in store for us in the (near) future. Some things have been announced, some targets have been rumoured and who knows what you have picked up in the darkest recesses of the net...

Below I will put up some things I find or found. Please post any news, rumours or hints below so one of the moderators can update this thread.

Cars
  • McLaren MP4-12C GT3 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • Lotus 49 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • RUF Rt12R - October 2012
  • Honda Civic BTCC - May/July 2013
  • Honda HSV-010 - May/July 2013
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup 2013 models - TBA
Tracks
  • Auto Club Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Hongaroring - Plans
  • Kansas Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Lukas Oil Raceway - In production
  • Rockingham Speedway - October 2012
  • Interlagos - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Miller Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • Long Beach - 2013
  • Oran Park Raceway - October 2012
  • Tsukuba Circuit - In production
  • Willow Springs - Scanned but on hold
Features
  • Crew chief & spotter functionality - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Driver swaps - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • DirectX 11 and x64 support - Long term project
  • Dirt and oil build up on windscreen - Side project
  • Enhanced sounds (DirectSound > XAudio2) - Groundwork in next build; the rest later
  • Exhaust fire - Side project
  • Teams - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Time transition - Long term and after DirectX 11
Your turn!

Hi guys! Been reading the comments on the latest updates and they do look promising. My subscription expired about 2 weeks ago, but I haven't raced much in the past year, just some testing and I was really turned off because there was no series to make me want to race the cars. I have one question, though, regarding the open wheelers, mainly the new Indycar, and the HPD, which are the only ones I'm interested in. How is the feeling for weight transfer after the new NTM updates? Is the "pendulum effect" still affecting the cars? I mean, in the past, for me the feeling was just that the front end is carrying the car around and the back of the care is there just for the ride, not doing anything. Basically it was a matter of turn and hope that the back is holding on for dear life. This was mainly noticeable in the Star Mazda and HPD for example (especially LDF configurations, where the car had no rear grip, like skating on ice). I tried the Z4 when it was launched and it seemed to improve the feeling, but haven't driven in iRacing since then, although my subscription was still active.

Is the "pendulum effect" still affecting the cars? I mean, in the past, for me the feeling was just that the front end is carrying the car around and the back of the care is there just for the ride, not doing anything. Basically it was a matter of turn and hope that the back is holding on for dear life. This was mainly noticeable in the Star Mazda and HPD for example (especially LDF configurations, where the car had no rear grip, like skating on ice).

Your description depicts quite well the SM and the HPD even during 2013. Many heated discussions in the official forums (Chris DiBen. surely remembers these), with people pointing to how the WR (from a Braziliam iracer) was achieved (with constant sliding...) sometime in 2013.

"Obviously"...complaints were due to "lack of skills"...:O_o:

Here is a quote from Timmy Hill, ref the Oval tyre, in response to a thread saying the new tyre was too easy now;

"I've spent 3-4 hours yesterday trying to build a setup for Indy. I am not sure which setup you are running, maybe the fixed? But the NTM seems to be the best one yet. By no means is this Tire to easy to drive. We now have consistent tire fall off instead of "the cliff". Not sure where you got the "gas and go" because I prepared both loose and tight setups and with both required sensitive throttle input for optimal lap times. Also not sure if this is the same category but I love the fact that there is no longer a draft train and now the cars are actually harder to drive in traffic. The NTM has only been out for 2 days now and I am not even close to figuring it out yet but as far as I can tell this is the best one yet."

Given Timmy is No.1 on Oval currently and No. 208 on road, he hopefully knows a bit about what he is talking about
thumbup.gif

Your description depicts quite well the SM and the HPD even during 2013. Many heated discussions in the official forums (Chris DiBen. surely remembers these), with people pointing to how the WR (from a Braziliam iracer) was achieved (with constant sliding...) sometime in 2013.

"Obviously"...complaints were due to "lack of skills"...:O_o:

Are you implying that everyone that races in IRacing is so highly skilled so if they lose control of the car, it has to be iRacing and not the driver?

I think what he means is that the people that mentioned the behavior I'm talking about were just branded as unskilled and incapable of driving the care at maximum performance. But hey, what do I know...

So nobody answered, has this changed with the new tire update? To be honest I don't want to renew my subscription for just a couple of laps... again... :)

I think what he means is that the people that mentioned the behavior I'm talking about were just branded as unskilled and incapable of driving the care at maximum performance.

Yes, indeed, they were branded that way. That was and is still the standard way used by some (not all iRacers for sure) to label people and disqualify them from criticizing.

So nobody answered, has this changed with the new tire update? To be honest I don't want to renew my subscription for just a couple of laps... again... :)

Haven't resubbed yet myself, but judging from the reactions of people I trust, the TM is finally improved substantially. Still, the odd behaviour is noticeable here and there on some cars - it will take time to "tweak" everything properly.

I'd say good news for iRacers.

Blkout said:
Are you implying that everyone that races in IRacing is so highly skilled so if they lose control of the car, it has to be iRacing and not the driver?

:) Hello. Again...

No, I'm not implying that. That's your "interpretation" only ... and after this (unbelievable) convenient and unfair generalization:

I don't think there were ever any unexpected spins anyway. I can certainly understand why someone might think that though but that simply comes down to a lack of skill in driving the car.

Are you implying that every time someone loses control that must be due to lack of skills?

Er...Yes, you're implying that.

I can't speak to the upper level open wheel cars, but overall the opinion seems to be a very LARGE step forward in the tire model. If those are the only cars you care about, wait for some specific opinions to come back. If you're willing to race different cars, definitely re-up, there will be at least a few cars you find enjoyable. I haven't felt what you're mentioning in the club cars, they seem to take a set then grip through the corner.

Yes, indeed, they were branded that way. That was and is still the standard way used by some (not all iRacers for sure) to label people and disqualify them from criticizing.

Haven't resubbed yet myself, but judging from the reactions of people I trust, the TM is finally improved substantially. Still, the odd behaviour is noticeable here and there on some cars - it will take time to "tweak" everything properly.

No, I'm not implying that. That's your "interpretation" only ... and after this (unbelievable) convenient and unfair generalization:

Are you implying that every time someone loses control that must be due to lack of skills?

I simply assumed that most experienced iRacers with a shred of common sense knew that was more often the case that not. I take full responsibility for assuming,
Mod edit, no need to provoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak to the upper level open wheel cars, but overall the opinion seems to be a very LARGE step forward in the tire model. If those are the only cars you care about, wait for some specific opinions to come back. If you're willing to race different cars, definitely re-up, there will be at least a few cars you find enjoyable. I haven't felt what you're mentioning in the club cars, they seem to take a set then grip through the corner.
Someone from iRacing is watching this forum and wants me back :rolleyes: Just got a promo code, 5$ for 3 months, renewed my subscription and looking forward to do some testing in the next days.

Hopefully, Mircea, you'll post some feedback on the "new" NNNTM.

Enjoy.

-----
Blkout said:
I simply assumed that most experienced iRacers with a shred of common sense knew that was more often the case that not. I take full responsibility

Assume it then. Post reported.

Last edited:
Is that a public promo code or just one specifically for you? :confused:

It's specific to my e-mail address only and can be used for my account only. Sorry...

To be honest I wouldn't say that the iRacing pricing model is that high, taking into account all the promos I got (just had one that expired on the 18th, 50% off for 1 year). For me the problem is the content, I like fast OW and prototypes, and the offering is very limited, unfortunately. And the future looks promising for me with AC with GP2 mod, pCars with all the prototypes and OW, rFactor 2 with URD prototypes (whenever those are coming, and hopefully to be launched for AC also) that iRacing is just not appealing to me. And the lack of inertia, mass and weight transfer just kills it... But I guess it's just a matter of preference, by no means I want to rant on iRacing, I would say it's the sim I spent most of my sim-racing time starting way back in 2008.

Well,

the subscription isn't too expensive. With it, one initially has the right to "own" and test several cars:

Pontiac Solstice
Legends Ford '34 Coupe
SCCA Spec Racer Ford
Mazda MX-5
Streetstock
Cadillac CTS-VR

Between the MX5, Spec Racer and the Cadillac, newbies can have some idea of the handling & physics of iR cars. It did the trick for me (with a much smaller list of default cars back then).

I agree, it would be great to test cars (other than default ones) first before purchasing them, though.

And the lack of inertia, mass and weight transfer just kills it...

I am curious about this: do you find the BMW Z4 also lacking in terms of these items you mention above?

Last edited:
I am curious about this: do you find the BMW Z4 also lacking in terms of these items you mention above?

Nope, not the the BMW Z4 nor the RUF. I think these 2 are definitely a step in the right direction. But I don't really like racing GTs :) Just did some testing today on the HPD and still largely the same. You can feel the tire has improved, the back doesn't step out with no reason, for example at Pouhon it's a really nice feeling to feel the back step out and be able to correct it. It's not like before, when it starts to slide you were just a passenger. So it feels improved from this point of view. And it responds nicely to set-up changes. Other than that, it just feels numb. I don't know how to describe it, but when you try AC for example you feel like the car has weight and that it transfers during braking, cornering and the tires acting in consequence. For example try the AC Z4 in AC at Monza, when you brake for the first chicane, it's like trying to stop something that really has mass, you can feel the rear axle trying to lock, back stepping out, etc. It just leaves you with a grin on your face. iRacing doesn't do that for me, but I'm not saying I'm right or that it's true or accurate what I'm saying, it's just a feeling. Whenever I go from AC (GP2 mod) to rFactor 2 (FR 3.5) it's the same feeling. When I try Star Mazda, it's like you have to adjust your driving in a very un-natural way that goes against your instincts.

I saw Wyatt Gooden putting this feeling into words far better than I can, but I can't remember which thread was it on the iRacing forums.

Just did some testing today on the HPD and still largely the same. You can feel the tire has improved, the back doesn't step out with no reason, for example at Pouhon it's a really nice feeling to feel the back step out and be able to correct it. It's not like before, when it starts to slide you were just a passenger. So it feels improved from this point of view. And it responds nicely to set-up changes. Other than that, it just feels numb. I don't know how to describe it, but when you try AC for example you feel like the car has weight and that it transfers during braking, cornering and the tires acting in consequence. For example try the AC Z4 in AC at Monza, when you brake for the first chicane, it's like trying to stop something that really has mass, you can feel the rear axle trying to lock, back stepping out, etc. It just leaves you with a grin on your face. iRacing doesn't do that for me, but I'm not saying I'm right or that it's true or accurate what I'm saying, it's just a feeling.
If you're referring specifically to the HPD, remember that it has power steering.

David Tucker gave a stab at FFB settings that may feel more like AC. Give them a try.
If you want to feel like you are driving assetto then use the following settings:

force: 12
damper: 0
linear: unchecked
min force: 10 on Logitech wheels, 0 on everything else (just a guideline here, use your own judgement)
app.ini [Force Feedback] steeringDampingMaxPercent=0.05
app.ini [Force Feedback] steeringFFBSmooth=0.3333

Note, that I have not really compared this to assetto so there may be some tweaking needed to make it feel exact...
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1550/2023748.page

I have a set for beginners, and I would like to test other cars.

They could provide a way to test - say 50 cents for 6 hours private testing or so. It would imply a download, though, and content which would reside in the user's HD, useless should he choose to not purchase it afterwards. Complicated to implement, I suspect.

Nope, not the the BMW Z4 nor the RUF. I think these 2 are definitely a step in the right direction.

Well, I have been reading/hearing good things about the Z4 GT3 - which is no surprise, as Chris L. designed (engineered) the physics calibration for it. He knows the importance of inertias (wheels, brake disks, chassis) in the big picture. I wouldn't be surprised if ALL cars suffered dramatic improvements upon the re-engineering by Chris L..

But I don't really like racing GTs :) Just did some testing today on the HPD and still largely the same. You can feel the tire has improved, the back doesn't step out with no reason, for example at Pouhon it's a really nice feeling to feel the back step out and be able to correct it. It's not like before, when it starts to slide you were just a passenger. So it feels improved from this point of view. And it responds nicely to set-up changes. Other than that, it just feels numb.

The "disconnect" is an odd issue. I for one never liked the HPD nor the F1 car due (partially) the same things you mentioned.

Even with FFB on, the "feel" stays. Odd.

I don't know how to describe it, but when you try AC for example you feel like the car has weight and that it transfers during braking, cornering and the tires acting in consequence. For example try the AC Z4 in AC at Monza, when you brake for the first chicane, it's like trying to stop something that really has mass, you can feel the rear axle trying to lock, back stepping out, etc. It just leaves you with a grin on your face. iRacing doesn't do that for me, but I'm not saying I'm right or that it's true or accurate what I'm saying, it's just a feeling.

Well, in my opinion you're right. You can have the same (bad) "feel" with any sim if one of two things (or worse, both) happens:
- the physics engine has a problem - particularly the physics that deal with tires
- bad physics calibration.

Therefore, if the physics engine is good (not 100% accurate, but quite close), it's all down to the calibration. And you can dial out this problem easily provided you have the right data and the correlation is close to optimal (1:1).

I read posts/tweets by Tommy Milner, Basu and a few professional racing drivers, confirming my/our impressions on most iR cars - either before or after the NTM release.

That's my bet, at least: when all tire model issues have been tackled, a deep overhaul of all cars (chassis and aero wise) will bring dramatic improvements.

I saw Wyatt Gooden putting this feeling into words far better than I can, but I can't remember which thread was it on the iRacing forums.

Last year, discussed some issues with former iR pro champion Towler, his opinion was similar to mine. Curiously, most people assume the "top" drivers have nothing but praise for iR cars, but some (most?) do see the issues and discuss them - they do stick with iR, as there's no better service out there for online racing and improvements can come any time.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea