iRacing's Upcoming Releases

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
Let's keep a little thread going about what iRacing has in store for us in the (near) future. Some things have been announced, some targets have been rumoured and who knows what you have picked up in the darkest recesses of the net...

Below I will put up some things I find or found. Please post any news, rumours or hints below so one of the moderators can update this thread.

Cars
  • McLaren MP4-12C GT3 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • Lotus 49 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • RUF Rt12R - October 2012
  • Honda Civic BTCC - May/July 2013
  • Honda HSV-010 - May/July 2013
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup 2013 models - TBA
Tracks
  • Auto Club Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Hongaroring - Plans
  • Kansas Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Lukas Oil Raceway - In production
  • Rockingham Speedway - October 2012
  • Interlagos - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Miller Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • Long Beach - 2013
  • Oran Park Raceway - October 2012
  • Tsukuba Circuit - In production
  • Willow Springs - Scanned but on hold
Features
  • Crew chief & spotter functionality - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Driver swaps - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • DirectX 11 and x64 support - Long term project
  • Dirt and oil build up on windscreen - Side project
  • Enhanced sounds (DirectSound > XAudio2) - Groundwork in next build; the rest later
  • Exhaust fire - Side project
  • Teams - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Time transition - Long term and after DirectX 11
Your turn!

I'm not saying it's not better, it's way better and very enjoyable, but still, we should point out the small glitches.

Very strange about the spin, tires up to temperature and no other moments before. Could be that I was a bit wide with 2 wheels on the astroturf and bottomed out and spun. But telemetry wasn't active so I can't check the ride height at that point. Oh well, I'll take it as a racing incident :) Too bad as I was just settling in after some crazy laps...

First of all, I do understand there are situations when you can't get the tires to work properly in real life. This mainly means either not being able to heat them up fast enough for a qualy lap or keeping the temperatures in within the best performance limits across a whole stint. However, the temperature spread (10-20 deg) across a tire is not a sim myth or sim racing mentality. I've seen racing tire manufacturers recommendations to keep the temperature spread within 10 - 20F inner to outer. .

Precisely part of my point as well.

---

Temperature measurements usually fall into some range, not specific values. So, basically, what simracers were "taught" is not solely a convenient thing, it's based on real world experience and data (to a point).

Problem I see, as I sad earlier, is allowing the simracer to experience the "unexpected", the frustrating experience of not being able to either bring tires up to operating temps or maintain them. I see a lot of complaining from people who just want to have "fun".

And I agree - and probably Bakkster as well - there is something still not right with the temperature modelling in the NTM.

Last edited:
FWIW, here's the BFG R1 tire guide, the tires used on the Mustang and Miata. They say 'fairly even' or within 20-25F across.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tiretech/bfg_Gforce/bfGoodrich_gForce_R1_care.pdf

Others have reported that these recommended values don't behave will with the Mustang. I'm sure they're not, but the tire does feel a lot closer. I don't think NTM5 got a big update aside from curing and the solver update. It's still not right, but it does seem to be more predictable.

Yes, I found some specs from Hankook racing tires saying the same, as even as possible, but around 10-20F. But I'm seeing 105C (221F) M and 77C (170F) O (@ 159 KPa pressure), so 51F difference. But hey, at least it's a definite improvement and tires lasted pretty well the whole race, so I'm not too worried about the temps. Finally I got a clean one and finished 5th, full field (60 cars) and 30 HPD. So when it works it's pretty awesome :thumbsup:

What I mean is, the next update turns it from the completely weird live rear axle monster it is now, into the new car with independent rear suspension that's supposed to behave more like a standard GT car.

I can agree with the opinions of V8SC drivers, but what makes us think comparing to versions in other sims is legit? Just because they're based on data straight from the series and/or teams doesn't make them any better than iRacing's car, which is also built from complete data access and help from two V8SC drivers.

One of them just feels better to you, and that's all going to be down to tire model which naturally doesn't come from the captured data.

Four Aston Martins! Including the GT3 and GT1!
Bedford, MA (September 11, 2014) – iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations, the world’s most realistic racing game, today announced the addition of four Aston Martin Racing cars to the iRacing.com lineup. iRacing.com will create a virtual version of the Aston Martin Vantage GT3 that will compete next weekend in the iRacing.com Nürburgring 1000 Blancpain Sprint Series event, as well as other Aston Martin Racing cars including the Le Mans class-winning DBR9.

“The opportunity to produce these authentic digital Aston Martins is genuinely exciting news for iRacing,” says Tony Gardner, President of iRacing.com. “Aston Martin has long been synonymous with sports car racing excellence, and the opportunity to race the Vantage GT3, DBR9 and other Aston Martins on the virtual tracks of iRacing will generate tremendous enthusiasm among our members.”

There.

A couple of years ago, and last year as well, I (and a few others) was jumped on by the usual platoon at NG and here when I commented that iRacing's marketing heads were making over-the-top claims, including being the "most realistic racing simulation" ever.

iR reaffirms that yet again, with a clever nuance. :sneaky:

At least, "simulation" is nowhere in there now.

iR back to hype-time.

---

On another front: driver swaps should bring some changes and a lot of excitement to iR. Interesting times for iRacers!

Holden VF Commodore V8 Supercar

10355522_10152748241661085_5638941607590440564_o.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 334 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 226 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 170 7.9%