iRacing's Upcoming Releases

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
Let's keep a little thread going about what iRacing has in store for us in the (near) future. Some things have been announced, some targets have been rumoured and who knows what you have picked up in the darkest recesses of the net...

Below I will put up some things I find or found. Please post any news, rumours or hints below so one of the moderators can update this thread.

Cars
  • McLaren MP4-12C GT3 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • Lotus 49 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • RUF Rt12R - October 2012
  • Honda Civic BTCC - May/July 2013
  • Honda HSV-010 - May/July 2013
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup 2013 models - TBA
Tracks
  • Auto Club Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Hongaroring - Plans
  • Kansas Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Lukas Oil Raceway - In production
  • Rockingham Speedway - October 2012
  • Interlagos - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Miller Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • Long Beach - 2013
  • Oran Park Raceway - October 2012
  • Tsukuba Circuit - In production
  • Willow Springs - Scanned but on hold
Features
  • Crew chief & spotter functionality - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Driver swaps - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • DirectX 11 and x64 support - Long term project
  • Dirt and oil build up on windscreen - Side project
  • Enhanced sounds (DirectSound > XAudio2) - Groundwork in next build; the rest later
  • Exhaust fire - Side project
  • Teams - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Time transition - Long term and after DirectX 11
Your turn!

Some people just don't know what they're talking about and make rookie errors. Others have an agenda to push sour grapes.

Well, first time for everything, I guess. Until now, rF/GSC/Race07, rF2 and pCARS were the targets of this kind of nonsense, it's iR's turn now, unfortunately.

One thing is to discuss any sim's problems with facts, quite another to imagine these.

@Mircea Rad,
tire fall off for the HPD seems fine, believable. Grip wise, still a little bit of what-the-heck moments (turns 1 and 5 at Suzuka, turns 1 and 4 at Okayama), but improved indeed. Not in the same league as LMP1's I tried or modelled on ISIMotor2, but closer now.

Definitely improved. At least, it seems that way since I resubbed.

Yes, the HPD has definitely improved, but still some crazy low speed spins (Spa chicane or La Source). It's like once you get it sliding just a little, it's gone, no matter what you do it will continue to slide and spin you around. And like we discussed before, the lack of weight transfer isn't helping at all, in these moments it feels like you're driving a plastic car with no weight at all. And you don't quite feel the tire grip, it's like you have to set your mind to drive mechanically from the limits you learned the previous lap, and not by the feel of the car. But the WSCS Series is very attractive to me, so I'll participate this season, hoping to see some good and clean racing.

Right now, it seems little slides increase the temperature of the tires, and grip drops a LOT. In the slower stuff I've found my first slide is pretty catchable, the second one is much harder.

The other thing I found was I had to tweak setups specifically to reduce the weight transfer forward that was causing the low speed oversteers. Once I did that I had few issues.

Well the default set-up has a horrendous understeer, but once you dial that out it;s ok. My first set-up is posted on the forum, but I will update it with the latest modifications. The low speed oversteer moments I mentioned are rare, so not a big problem, but are just weird. Btw, are the temperatures readings (I M O) correct on iRacing, because I get strange reading on the outside of the tire (20+ to 30 deg lower) and I don't know if the reading is off or I have to adjust the set-up. I checked in ATLAS also carcass and surface temperatures and both indicate the same "anomaly". So I'm a bit puzzled :)

The temps are 'correct', in that they match an approximately 1" strip of the tire in the middle and more inner and outer. They don't match expectations that a proper handling car should have equal temps in each. Outer tends to be lower. They told us a while ago not to try and tune by temp spread inner to outer.

Looking forward to some races today or tomorrow, the field also looks evenly spread, from what I saw in yesterday races. Are you racing the HPD? How are the tires lasting the 22 laps? I haven't done any long runs yet, just qualy, but will probably do a long run today before racing to adjust the set-up.

Was in the c-spec,,,never raced the hpd,maybe have to try that and start practicing that car.

I saved the tires maybe a bit to much, upped my pace last 10 minutes.

Still learning the tires and how much to push and when they go.

This last build is the best since i signed up 2 years ago,,,bc of the tire change and wear.
Only bad thing,,,,just so many fun cars now and not enough time :)

The temps are 'correct', in that they match an approximately 1" strip of the tire in the middle and more inner and outer. They don't match expectations that a proper handling car should have equal temps in each. Outer tends to be lower. They told us a while ago not to try and tune by temp spread inner to outer.

I remember that. However, I don't find that (don't tune by temp spread) justifiable if the tire simulation is working as it should.

Also, perhaps you can clarify that a bit further, because due to camber, and under proper pressure, tire temp is spread from inner to outer, from higher to lower.

I also remember improvements to tire probe temperature measurements in garage and the box, so in effect I am still trying to figure out what to make of changes to tire temps.

This last build is the best since i signed up 2 years ago,,,bc of the tire change and wear.
Only bad thing,,,,just so many fun cars now and not enough time :)

You signed up 2 years ago here (RD) or iR?

Just curious, as we have been reading your :D "iRacing-über-alles"-kind of posts at NoGrip for almost 5 years (iirc, you joined iR just a couple of months before I did).

Hmmm...

Last edited:
I remember that. However, I don't find that (don't tune by temp spread) justifiable if the tire simulation is working as it should.

Also, perhaps you can clarify that a bit further, because due to camber, and under proper pressure, tire temp is spread from inner to outer, from higher to lower.

I also remember improvements to tire probe temperature measurements in garage and the box, so in effect I am still trying to figure out what to make of changes to tire temps.

You signed up 2 years ago here (RD) or iR?

Just curious, as we have been reading your :D "iRacing-über-alles"-kind of posts at NoGrip for almost 5 years (iirc, you joined iR just a couple of months before I did).

Hmmm...

U wot m8?

Signed up 2 years ago on iracing.

Have you been reading my posts on nogrip for 5 years :)

You are funny,,,who am i on nogrip and what posts have i been writing there about iracing for 5 years?

Show me.

Sorry talking out of youre ass mate.

Oh and btw,,,, i own ac-rf2-gsc and play them all. And think they are all great and getting better and better.
Most of the time i want a online race and nothing comes close to iracing there.

Silly me can enjoy not just 1 or 2 sims.
Good time to be a simracer if you are not stuck in defending and hating everything but 1 sim.
My opinion rfactor2-ac-iracing-gsc are all amazing and i enjoy them all.

But do show me my uber alles posts from last 5 years on nogrip about iracing :confused:

Last edited:
U wot m8?

Signed up 2 years ago on iracing.

Have you been reading my posts on nogrip for 5 years :)

You are funny,,,who am i on nogrip and what posts have i been writing there about iracing for 5 years?

Show me.

Sorry talking out of youre ass mate.

Really?...
:O_o:

Your post (http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/iracings-upcoming-releases.47864/page-23#post-1775723) is EXACTLY the same as the one you posted at NoGrip (http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1816470&postcount=8), smilies, personal comments and all. What are the odds of that? Wow. :D;)

Now, don't get all worked up, I just found your "cut&paste" posts a curious "coincidence", other than that no problem. Such dedication to iR is commendable, in a way.

Really, bud?
:O_o:

Your post (http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/iracings-upcoming-releases.47864/page-23#post-1775723) is EXACTLY the same as the one you posted at NoGrip (http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1816470&postcount=8), smilies, personal comments and all. What are the odds of that? Wow. :D;)

Now, don't get all worked up, I just found your "cut&paste" posts a curious "coincidence", other than that no problem.

And i QUOTED allans post from nogrip because i tought it would be useful info for people.
I am not Allan, my name is Valdimar Þórsson.(thorsson on iracing)

Second time you say i am praising iracing on nogrip for 5 years,,,but you where talking out of youre ASS 2 times:D;)

Not worked up, i enjoy my life and many different sims and what they bring ;)

Next time just ask and not say(is EXACTLY the same as the one you posted at NoGrip)

Not everyone is a fanboy of 1 sim...me fanboy of ac-rf2-iracing-gsc.

And they are all worth there price and more.

Now carry on guys , i am gonna go drive in some good sim.

I believe what was said was to 'ditch the sim racer mentality' that said the best setup for a car would have within 10 degree F spread IMO on the tires.

It's possible that 10F spread is the wrong thing to shoot for in reality, or that there's something off. Either way, don't try and balance inner and outer temps in iRacing. When I look at temps, I compare middles for all four tires, and like-to-like left and right (inner to inner for example).

I believe what was said was to 'ditch the sim racer mentality' that said the best setup for a car would have within 10 degree F spread IMO on the tires.

Well, that "x degrees C" spread is fundamentally a general guideline to help people establish the proper relationship between camber and pressure and optimum levels of "grip".

I do agree we don't necessarily need to stipulate a rigorous number.

It's possible that 10F spread is the wrong thing to shoot for in reality, or that there's something off. Either way, don't try and balance inner and outer temps in iRacing. When I look at temps, I compare middles for all four tires, and like-to-like left and right (inner to inner for example).

I understand what you were trying to convey.

In RL, the same tire brand & compound (basically, tires from the same "series") will exhibit different behaviour in either different cars or the same type of car - no 2 tires behave exactly alike. We/they can take into consideration the "average" tire behaviour, but even then temperature spreads don't follow some "cardinal" rule. Still, for performance and simulation purposes, maybe it's not a bad idea, particularly when trying to simulate races and intending to give different simracers the same chance at winning.

Something else to consider: the temperature probe "code" is also evolving, and will eventually provide a higher accuracy. Moreover, iRacing, with this last major update, implemented/used a novel numerical solver, which may hint at further enhancements in the short term.

Are you implying intentionally giving variation in tires between drivers?

I believe the MX-5 and Mustang are on the same tires in reality, as should be the GT3 cars, and the Kia and Caddy should only differ by tire dimensions. So there's some way to see same tires on different cars.

The numerical solver update affected the sidewalls, I doubt it has any significant effect on temps. Temps change much too slow and don't cross zero, which is what the solver does better.

Are you implying intentionally giving variation in tires between drivers?

No.

As it is extremely complicated (tire engineers I know say "impossible") to predict the the temperature behaviour for any tire with any significant, reliable accuracy, a certain envelope of performance/behaviour is acceptable and can be used (to a point) for predictive analysis.

So, it's entirely possible to find in real life the kind of temp spreads simracers were "taught" to expect and explore.

With that in mind, how would iRacers react if no matter what they did (setup wise), they couldn't get their tire temperatures up to operational levels?

We've seen that happen in F1, MotoGP, FIA GT1 through GT3 - drivers (and engineering teams) complaining that no matter what they did, tire temps we're still far from optimum.

I'd bet iRacers would complain about the TM, even though such "anomalies" are entirely possible in the real world.

Hence what I said: perhaps making sure the behaviour envelope of tires does not deviate from "standard" is not a bad thing, considering the nature of a lot of simracers (everyone wants to win, plus fun and competition is more important (for them) than "some definition of realism").

The numerical solver update affected the sidewalls, I doubt it has any significant effect on temps. Temps change much too slow and don't cross zero, which is what the solver does better.

iRacing stated this:

- The tire model has an improved solver to find the amount of tread yaw under dynamic conditions (i.e. non-equilibrium). This has significantly improved transient behavior and tire response to changing loads.

The implications of the text above are not small, and should affect temperature as well, albeit indirectly only - even more so considering the nature of the tire model DK formulated (physically oriented).

So, it's entirely possible to find in real life the kind of temp spreads simracers were "taught" to expect and explore.

With that in mind, how would iRacers react if no matter what they did (setup wise), they couldn't get their tire temperatures up to operational levels?

We've seen that happen in F1, MotoGP, FIA GT1 through GT3 - drivers (and engineering teams) complaining that no matter what they did, tire temps we're still far from optimum.

I'd bet iRacers would complain about the TM, even though such "anomalies" are entirely possible in the real world.
Gotcha, and I think that's an opinion you'd find common over all of sim racing.
The implications of the text above are not small, and should affect temperature as well, albeit indirectly only - even more so considering the nature of the tire model DK formulated (physically oriented).
Yes, indirectly was my point.

First of all, I do understand there are situations when you can't get the tires to work properly in real life. This mainly means either not being able to heat them up fast enough for a qualy lap or keeping the temperatures in within the best performance limits across a whole stint. However, the temperature spread (10-20 deg) across a tire is not a sim myth or sim racing mentality. I've seen racing tire manufacturers recommendations to keep the temperature spread within 10 - 20F inner to outer. Now when I see in iRacing 30+ deg C difference (50 F) between M and O temps then there is a problem either with the temperature reading or with the set-up. Saying not to take into consideration the temperature spread for pressure and camber set-up is telling me that the tire temperatures are wrong, at least for the O reading. And trying to say this is not important is just trying to hide the fact that it's broken. Besides, the official iRacing set-up guide mentions the temp spread of 10F, so something is definetely not right.

Btw, is the grip during a race different than the grip in practice and qualy sessions? I had a race with the HPD and suddenly lost the rear after 5 laps at Blanchimont, something that never happend during any practice with full tank or qualy laps, that turn is easy flat.

And trying to say this is not important is just trying to hide the fact that it's broken. Besides, the official iRacing set-up guide mentions the temp spread of 10F, so something is definetely not right.
The official setup guide was written for the old tire model and never updated. And yes, I suspect something is still a bit off. Believe it or not, it's still better than it used to be.
Btw, is the grip during a race different than the grip in practice and qualy sessions? I had a race with the HPD and suddenly lost the rear after 5 laps at Blanchimont, something that never happend during any practice with full tank or qualy laps, that turn is easy flat.
Same grip. Two possibilities I can think of:
1) There's a known instability issue, especially prominent in some cars with cold tires.
2) Did you have an oversteer moment just before? Tires get greasy very easily.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%