F1 2017 Have Your Say: F1 2017 by Codemasters - What We Want to See

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say Article.jpg

F1 2017 is due to release for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC later this year and we wondered what the community would like once the new game hit's the shelves...

Very little is known about the new Formula One game from Codemasters at present, other than it will build on last years fairly successful addition to the franchise, and it will include the new cars and regulations of the 2017 Formula One season.

It is exceptionally likely Codemasters will continue their strategy of releasing to both console and PC platforms (with a probable mobile version following after release day), however other than that the British devs have been remarkably quiet over the last months whilst work continues back at the studio developing the new title.

Historically Codemasters haven't been the most innovative studio in the racing game industry, often only lightly tinkering with the base game year on year in a quest to ensure deadlines and schedules are maintained and the paying public continue to get their Formula One fix each season. However despite that long running reputation from the past, Codemasters have released genuinely quality products recently with the recent DiRT Rally and Formula One 2016 marking a significant upswing in fortunes for a team once spoken about in the very highest regard with respect to their racing game output. Early previews from the devs indicate the upcoming DiRT 4 title looks well on the way to becoming a big hit with fans as well, so the question is will Codies make the most of the momentum currently behind them and hit the ball out of the park with the new Formula One game?

As alluded to earlier in the article, with so little known about what players can expect to find in Formula One 2017 we thought it might be a bit of fun to do some good old speculation / wish list and dream scenario discussions!

So the question we would like to ask is:

What features / content / options and functionality would you like to see make an appearance in Formula One 2017?

I for one am looking forward to some of the creative responses I'm sure our community can come up with in the comments section. Personally I'd like a game that works out of the box, has believable handling and offers a sincere and challenging driving experience, whilst at the same time offering a usable and stable online environment suitable for clubs such as our own to setup organised league and club racing events. Not really a big ask for 2017, but the decisions some people make means those requests are not necessarily a guarantee for a new game....

The stage is yours people, let the comments commence...... :)

If you want to meet up and discuss F1 2017 in more detail with your fellow fans of the series, feel free to head on over to the Formula One 2017 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation today!

Last edited:
fataliities, visor tearaways, USING THE CLUTCH TO PUT GEAR INTO NEUTRAL, i hate rapid fire downshifting right into neutral, maybe something like a slowmotion cam, steering wheel thumps like a heart beat, when your lining up at start. i wish they could do glowing breaks ala 97 CE. maybe something like i take vettel out 2 races straight and he hates my guts, wont let me pass to lap him, just being a real dick because he hates me. that sorta thing. does the rivarly do anything but get you upgrade points? after i max out car, i skip practice and go straight to quali because whats the point? max out car in 2 years and next 8 nothing new to add to car.... 8 years, best engineering minds, cant think of anything new.

Last edited:
None of this is gonna happen, but f**k it, one can dream (sorry to the admins for mild use of expletives):
  • drivers swapping teams, retiring etc
  • F2, F3, F4 so we can build our character through several years of racing (maybe with the option to choose - either you start your career directly in F1 or you work your way up)
  • starting your own team (the most basic of editors - choose your engine supplier, one of four main car bodies, one of four noses, one of four front wing designs, one of four rear wing designs, one of four fin versions or no fin at all - just very basic)
  • more realistic player helmets - can't be that hard to add some sort of overlay for each team, like the classic Red Bull design on the sides or the Ferrari logo on the forehead

CAREER
  • Keep the scenario inside the home truck, where all the engineers and team are assembled. Where our agent will be with us;
  • Do winter testing;
  • To be third pilot, ie to do the tests as in F1 2012, but if we do not reach enough to be 2nd or 1st pilot, we can be a test pilot and improve our qualities and 4-in 4 races, we do Time Trial Against the 2nd pilot and if we win we get the 2nd place pilot;
  • At the end of each session we have an interview with the reporters in the paddock.
  • Allow to use 2 types of helmet designs, which we choose at the beginning of the career and then choose when we want to use each one during the time;
  • Pilots to change teams during the times or even retire;
  • Helmets could be more realistic in terms of graphics and everything;
  • Right to choose the model we want to use helmets or the brand (ARAI; BELL; STILO; SCHUBERTH);
  • Choose what name we want to have on equipment like MotoGP;
  • Choose the color of the gloves;
  • On the Formation Lap let the driver put the car on the grid, but if you miss the site then position it;
  • Add more cutscenes to walk through the grid, as in 2005;
  • Add comments during the race, as in 2005 they said the places of the points, etc...

QUICKRACE
Here there is not much to say, but I think they can keep in the menu the animations of the pilots, in the choice of cars, maybe add the garages as in F1 2005/2006
  • Allow to change the place of the grid;
GRAPHICS/PHYSICS
  • The graphics, could improve and a lot, we have games that are not so sold and have better graphics;
  • Improve Carbon Fiber;
  • Improve UV Mapping;
  • Improve game physics;
  • Improve crashes;
  • Improve those spins that happen when we hit something and we roll endlessly;
  • Improve the way the wings are broken;
  • Improve scratches on cars;
  • Improve Pitcrew and the animations of the car in the pitlane (steering wheel etc);
  • Exit the F1 2010 graphics zone and enter a Project CARS zone;
  • Add heat waves coming out of the exhaust pipe.
I am a Formula 1 lover and I have every game from 2005 to 2016 and I always try to convince my friends to play F1 with me or buy, but they just talk about the graphics that look like an Arcade game ... keep the eyes Project CARS. Change game engine if you need to, but bring something that fans like. And don't forget FFB and you could add VR.

This is my opinion at the moment, hope I can share something in common with someone ahahah. Have a nice day guys!

Smarter AI
In 2016 the AI are overly aggressive and will send you into a spin multiple times. Attempting ambitious overtakes all over the place.

Better FFB & Improved physics
The cars felt too light and i could hardly tell what they were doing through the wheel. The cars always locked the front brakes under hard braking and the rear would step out under acceleration every time. Felt like the cars were hard coded to do this and it didn't make it enjoyable.

Reduce the power of slipstream
In 2016 you could be lapping a second faster than a guy but because of the slip stream he could stay with you and attack, it was ridiculous.

Pre season testing
What's the point of saving up all those resource points at the end of the season if you can't spend it on upgrades for the start of the new season and see how the car feels with the new upgrades before the first race

Expand the upgrade system
More options of things to upgrade as well as tiers of upgrades as well, you could max out a cars upgrades in the space of 2 seasons and once that was done nothing left to spend resource points on. Not to mention back marker teams would get left behind again once the top teams started upgrading their car. Each time you maxed out your upgrades they should all reset but car performance be retained so you can start investing again and continue to keep up with the top teams.

Value for money but we can scrub that straight away .. F1 strikes me a bit like FIFA by EA sports it promises a ton of great new innovation and then comes out virtually the same with a few minor tweaks here and there a new driver line up and that's about it.

In fact apart from the tweaks and stuff they take in and out has it really changed I looked at 13/14/15/16 and to be honest felt why did'nt they just do an update oh yeh it's not going to make them as much money.

I feel these once a year releases are quite often just NOT what should be happening surely it would be better to charge for updates and launch a new game every time they actually have something new not just bolt ons.

Well I guess this year they are going to be forced to create some kind of improvement since the cars will simply not handle like they have in previous years but why would that be an issue?

Having brought FIFA for PC and modded the heck out of it thanks to Moddingway for many years it would be good to see some cooperation on that front but I am sure FIA will have made that a condition of the licence that you can't .

Also it would not actually involve much extra work for a historical line up of say every previous version would be a start at least or even offer as bonus say a 1998 line up or something really unexpected without cost to show they actually do care.

I can't be the only one who fancies reliving the days when F1 actually used to have a element of competition in it so anything that aids authenticity on that front.

Finally and it's a big ask NO patches to get it to work out of the virtual box have they ever achieved this I suspect not but one can always imagine it could happen.

I will keep it realistic.
1, the ability to have custom seasons again so I don't have to do all fricken 20 races in a season.
2, more depth to car set-up options.
3, better damage model.
4, the about to navigate menus on pc with the friggen mouse and not a bloody keyboard!!!
5, the ability to map things to buttons rather than having to cycle through a menu to change things.

I know these won't happen as they only make minor tweaks each year so they can have something new to add in the next iteration.

I have my say? .... F1 2017 NotByCodemasters :D

I don't care if they improve FFB or AI or whatever they add for features... unless it's not sold on humble bundle i won't buy it :p ... still got the f1 2016 'beta' uninstalled after the 3rd-race session. 40€ for another beta (=80€ Double Beta) , aeh, Naaaa.

Yep lots of the above already said, but the thing that really let 2016 down for me was the pure lackadaisical helmet rendering. All this talk about car damage not being what it could be because FOM are so anal, & don't want sponsors scrubbed off the side of a car in a game, which incidentally smacks of pure childishness to my mind, yet Codies implement a horribly tardy helmet rendering lacking sponsors that correspond with your career & chosen team. I thought they were anal about having sponsors highly visible at every opportunity, yet totally omitted them in the helmet selection. It made no sense & from the off, we had to mod a new title & a find work around instead of just being able to happily hit the track. About time Codies gave FOM the finger for playing mafia to simple gaming enjoyment.

Maybe things will change a little under Liberty Media & filter through Codies loosening the stranglehold on what they could potentially achieve in game given free range.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back