F1 2017 Have Your Say: F1 2017 by Codemasters - What We Want to See

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say Article.jpg

F1 2017 is due to release for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC later this year and we wondered what the community would like once the new game hit's the shelves...

Very little is known about the new Formula One game from Codemasters at present, other than it will build on last years fairly successful addition to the franchise, and it will include the new cars and regulations of the 2017 Formula One season.

It is exceptionally likely Codemasters will continue their strategy of releasing to both console and PC platforms (with a probable mobile version following after release day), however other than that the British devs have been remarkably quiet over the last months whilst work continues back at the studio developing the new title.

Historically Codemasters haven't been the most innovative studio in the racing game industry, often only lightly tinkering with the base game year on year in a quest to ensure deadlines and schedules are maintained and the paying public continue to get their Formula One fix each season. However despite that long running reputation from the past, Codemasters have released genuinely quality products recently with the recent DiRT Rally and Formula One 2016 marking a significant upswing in fortunes for a team once spoken about in the very highest regard with respect to their racing game output. Early previews from the devs indicate the upcoming DiRT 4 title looks well on the way to becoming a big hit with fans as well, so the question is will Codies make the most of the momentum currently behind them and hit the ball out of the park with the new Formula One game?

As alluded to earlier in the article, with so little known about what players can expect to find in Formula One 2017 we thought it might be a bit of fun to do some good old speculation / wish list and dream scenario discussions!

So the question we would like to ask is:

What features / content / options and functionality would you like to see make an appearance in Formula One 2017?

I for one am looking forward to some of the creative responses I'm sure our community can come up with in the comments section. Personally I'd like a game that works out of the box, has believable handling and offers a sincere and challenging driving experience, whilst at the same time offering a usable and stable online environment suitable for clubs such as our own to setup organised league and club racing events. Not really a big ask for 2017, but the decisions some people make means those requests are not necessarily a guarantee for a new game....

The stage is yours people, let the comments commence...... :)

If you want to meet up and discuss F1 2017 in more detail with your fellow fans of the series, feel free to head on over to the Formula One 2017 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation today!

Last edited:

M² Designworks | Maxwellus

Freelance Designer and F1 Game Modder.
3 things come to mind:

-Chances for more types of failiures, like suspension failiures.

-If a tyre gets to 100% wear from driving hard, the tyre explodes and flies off the rim, if it's damage, the tyre should flop more on the rim. Also slow punctures. We hear of them all the time. You get a small puncture and can drive with ease to the pit box to change.

-The Rear wing damage in F1 2016 is PATHETIC. Rear Wing /DRS failiures/jamming would be a must have.

Good evening,
Even though I am not a hardcore F1 fan, I really like F1 2016, here is my whishlist for 2017:

1) Better AI and more customizable AI level:
Unfortunately I am not of the ultra fast breed and am right in between hard and expert level, which makes me either win a bit too easily (hard) or get crashed into by AI and DNFs (expert). Only this improvement alone would make me buy the 2017 game for sure. An rfactor 2 AI would be epic (agressive but still just careful enough not to ram one off) with a percent slider.

2) A bit more graphics work on the cars (specmaps for carbon) would make the thing pop much more here is what I mean:
The game: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/65Ek4i7PeEE/maxresdefault.jpg
Actual picture: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/rosberg-shakedown-onboard-2016.jpg
The carbon effect could be reporduced easily and it would really add up and make the game look less flat in cockpits.

3) More detailed FFB:
Not sure this impacts everyone but on the G27 FFB has issues to get initialized and even though it feels OK is a bit too smooth, adding a few bumps and details would really add to the experience

4) The unlikely one:
Official support for skin creation from the community (a tool to create archives), we saw what the skinning competition here brought to life, that would be epic especially online where each player could run his skin.

That is it for me.
Cheers

Here are the things I would like to see in F1 2017:
  • ERS Managment
  • Split Screen
  • Old Tracks (eg: Turkey)
  • Having the ability to pick any number you want in career
  • Having the ability to change the weather and the time in a career race
  • Being able to change the race order in a career (Remove tracks and move their Order)
  • More customization with helmets and the sponsors of the team you are in added on the helmet
  • The color of the gloves in your career
  • Pre-Season Testing in career mode
  • Being able to drive as the test drivers

Would love to bring back some of the old tracks, especially those that have been a part of the game in the past: Istanbul, Korea, Buddh, Valencia, Mangy-Cours, Indianapolis, Imola, Nurburgring, Long Beach, Brands Hatch could all be fun with modern equipment.

Add in some of the alternative layouts, like the Bridge Circuit at Silverstone.

Add in the ability to play F1 2017 with the Paul Ricard circuit, even though they aren't racing there until 2018.

Add some old cars, even as far back as the Ferrari 500 or the Alfa Romeo 159.

UV Mapping that actually makes sense! All I want. Give us UV mappings that we can work with.

I also wouldn't mind a car development system that makes sense and is continuos and not just a set amount that ends with the exact same team order in the end.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 68 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 40 9.6%
  • €3001-5000