F1 2017 Have Your Say: F1 2017 by Codemasters - What We Want to See

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say Article.jpg

F1 2017 is due to release for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC later this year and we wondered what the community would like once the new game hit's the shelves...

Very little is known about the new Formula One game from Codemasters at present, other than it will build on last years fairly successful addition to the franchise, and it will include the new cars and regulations of the 2017 Formula One season.

It is exceptionally likely Codemasters will continue their strategy of releasing to both console and PC platforms (with a probable mobile version following after release day), however other than that the British devs have been remarkably quiet over the last months whilst work continues back at the studio developing the new title.

Historically Codemasters haven't been the most innovative studio in the racing game industry, often only lightly tinkering with the base game year on year in a quest to ensure deadlines and schedules are maintained and the paying public continue to get their Formula One fix each season. However despite that long running reputation from the past, Codemasters have released genuinely quality products recently with the recent DiRT Rally and Formula One 2016 marking a significant upswing in fortunes for a team once spoken about in the very highest regard with respect to their racing game output. Early previews from the devs indicate the upcoming DiRT 4 title looks well on the way to becoming a big hit with fans as well, so the question is will Codies make the most of the momentum currently behind them and hit the ball out of the park with the new Formula One game?

As alluded to earlier in the article, with so little known about what players can expect to find in Formula One 2017 we thought it might be a bit of fun to do some good old speculation / wish list and dream scenario discussions!

So the question we would like to ask is:

What features / content / options and functionality would you like to see make an appearance in Formula One 2017?

I for one am looking forward to some of the creative responses I'm sure our community can come up with in the comments section. Personally I'd like a game that works out of the box, has believable handling and offers a sincere and challenging driving experience, whilst at the same time offering a usable and stable online environment suitable for clubs such as our own to setup organised league and club racing events. Not really a big ask for 2017, but the decisions some people make means those requests are not necessarily a guarantee for a new game....

The stage is yours people, let the comments commence...... :)

If you want to meet up and discuss F1 2017 in more detail with your fellow fans of the series, feel free to head on over to the Formula One 2017 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation today!

Last edited:
It's a minor detail, but releasing in time for the new F1 season would have been a good start.
Hard to do.
First of all, it takes weeks to get the car models right, even with a team of professionals.
Second, it takes a lot of time to get the sounds somewhat right - which can be done only when proper on-board camera videos become available.
Third, to get the performance of cars and tyres on different tracks, in different conditions etc. right, you need to know where those teams are in terms of performance.

So, all in all, while I agree that it would be nice to have the game out once the season starts, it's simply not possible.

Hard to do.
First of all, it takes weeks to get the car models right, even with a team of professionals.
Second, it takes a lot of time to get the sounds somewhat right - which can be done only when proper on-board camera videos become available.
Third, to get the performance of cars and tyres on different tracks, in different conditions etc. right, you need to know where those teams are in terms of performance.

So, all in all, while I agree that it would be nice to have the game out once the season starts, it's simply not possible.
All very fair comments :)

I'd like to see the steering for Steering Wheels be more sim-like than arcadey ( that doesnt mean 900 degree rotation because Ive never seen a F1 driver rotate the wheel that much , but that means more precise and on a par with the rotation with an actual F1 driver and car ) . And if theyre going to delve even deeper into the career mode then a basic character creator would be nice rather than having about 20 pre built heads to pick from . Also in the career mode they could do a pre season testing part for you to earn some R & D stuff BEFORE the season starts .

What I'd like to see for F1 2017 would be:
- As mentioned before, let the driver finish his formation lap by himself. That's way more realistic and the AI driving my car to the grid the last hundred meters killed the fun for me very much.
- A classic mode would be nice. 90s, 80s, maybe even 70s cars but please, also allow support for H-shifting and Clutch pedals.
- All the kinds of physics improvements that have been mentioned before.
- Customization improvements, also as mentioned in other posts.
That would make a (nearly) perfect F1 game for me.

- Deticated Server for PC with 24 true Drivers
- Better Online Code an MP optimizing
- Better Live Streaming Tools for real E-Sport and league support
- More realistic Damage
- Better FFB like Automobilista, iRacing, Assetto or rFactor2

Bring Rosberg back! :D

Nah, just kidding.
F1 series (slowly:sneaky:) becomes quite fun... Maybe some more seasons ?
They have all the licences so why the hell not, they used to have that.

Last edited:
I want to see Touring Cars and feeder series in a comprehensive career, spanning from karts to F1 champion. But since that would never happen - not in a F1 game, of course - we can only hope for more realistic physics and less bugs.

• create your own team and car
  • real time OSD (drivers' shortnames on the left like in TV)
  • TV OSD in replay mode
  • commentary during the race and during the replay
  • full screen when spectating in the box to watch the other drivers

What i would like to see,hmm good question .
Main focus should be on PC and almost considering ditching the consoles ,such a limited hardware would only hamper the development anyway .
For starters drop the simcade or arcade-ish feel and go pure simulation .
We could use a brand new engine that actually works and the visuals are done properly without any texture mirroring .
Dedicated Servers ,stop it with the console trend without dedicated servers .
UI that's suited for KB/Mouse cba to keep navigating trough the menus like a pad-warrior .
Open the development path in career mode so there won't be a limitation how fast these cars can go ,also having only 5-7 seasons on career mode is rather lame to say the least .
Everything within the game should be customizable and moddable to the best possible extent while providing mod-kit tools .
Direct X 12 is a must for the next installment .
There is a reason most dedicated players are investing into the newest tech on the current market in order to make the full transition to 4k @ 165 hz .
Proper Triple Screen support all previous years support was lackluster to say the least or should i say non existent .
Tyre simulation at very least at rFactor level or better anything below is not acceptable .
Another good point is ,scrap the current damage system and rebuild it from scratch ,maybe you should consider using nVidia Physx but a lot of AMD players might get triggered so you should do it with just generic soft body physics similar to what beam engine is doing currently .
Track evolution should be implemented into the game that's actually working for once and it's dynamic .
Sophisticated mechanical damage / failure algorithms to put some extra flavor since it's been kinda missing for quite some time,i still remember back in was it 2012 ?? I had a few engine failures and gearbox damage but since then it went complete AWOL.
Don't consider putting lame half ass commentary , that would be cringy AF ,we are racing not doing oval circles . The same goes for the pre race briefings , they were repetitive and completely pointless.
In-depth car repair system / development is a must, once you crash your car and if you did implement soft body physx we should be getting a nice upgrade to these features as well .
Proper Control over MGU-K it never hurts going going deeper on this front it would be really appreciated by the dedicated sim racers .
Telemetry should be in game .

I could continue and so on ,the post would be even longer but keep in mind will be my 7th game from the franchise and this is your final chance to prove me wrong that you are not a failure of a developer .
DR had potential but dried faster than sahara in the end and CM F1 yearly titles never seem to impress.

One last thing,
Don't you dare release the game without proper SLI ,you do realize some enthusiast players do have more than 1 card, in my case it's 3x 980 GTX SLI and it really sucks in today's market most AAA console developers completely ignore the SLI support ,like are you for real .
It's one of the most crucial thing you should get right day one ,not months or community fixes .
I've had enough headache this month from Andromeda and Wildlands both launched without any SLI support what so ever just wonderful.

I think that's it from me for the time being if i were to continue i might switch completely to off topic .

Value for money but we can scrub that straight away .. F1 strikes me a bit like FIFA by EA sports it promises a ton of great new innovation and then comes out virtually the same with a few minor tweaks here and there a new driver line up and that's about it.

In fact apart from the tweaks and stuff they take in and out has it really changed I looked at 13/14/15/16 and to be honest felt why did'nt they just do an update oh yeh it's not going to make them as much money.

I feel these once a year releases are quite often just NOT what should be happening surely it would be better to charge for updates and launch a new game every time they actually have something new not just bolt ons.

Well I guess this year they are going to be forced to create some kind of improvement since the cars will simply not handle like they have in previous years but why would that be an issue?

Having brought FIFA for PC and modded the heck out of it thanks to Moddingway for many years it would be good to see some cooperation on that front but I am sure FIA will have made that a condition of the licence that you can't .

Also it would not actually involve much extra work for a historical line up of say every previous version would be a start at least or even offer as bonus say a 1998 line up or something really unexpected without cost to show they actually do care.

I can't be the only one who fancies reliving the days when F1 actually used to have a element of competition in it so anything that aids authenticity on that front.

Finally and it's a big ask NO patches to get it to work out of the virtual box have they ever achieved this I suspect not but one can always imagine it could happen.

-They should have given everyone a 50% discount on 2016 if you bought the joke of a game 2015.
like step back a sec and realize you payed 60 bucks for a game that the evolution of gaming went backwards.
after a week of 2015 i went back to 2014.

• I would like to see a setup system based on real life values and measurements instead of the same silly 1-11 system again. And of course the ERS must be included.
  • The setups should have a real impact on the car performance and I think it would be great if you have to setup your car from scratch instead of get a preloaded setup for each track.
  • Better force feedback and car handing
  • Ability to customize the acces and use of the MFD panel according to your wheel model (G27 owners know what I mean)
  • Tyres and brakes temperature should have an impact on the car performance. You really should feel the difference between the beginning and the end of the out lap.
  • The tyre management programme should be done with full tank to measure your real race pace instead of fuel for 15 laps.

Don’t leave the game to the next F1 series without fixing the issues!
Better AI
Better ffb
Better car Handling/Physics
Better engine sound!
Graphics no so blurred
Older F1 series 1995/2006 to name a couple

- Facilitate/Unrestrict Graphics Modding. If you want to release dlc with retro liveries or retro cars, great, but let the users play too, it only brings more people into the tent.
- In-race challenges. The likes of "watch your tires" or "lower your revs" or "don't get too close" or "don't pass your teammate"....things that aren't necessarily about going fast but can add a greater challenge.
- Increase the differences between each team. It would be cool to visually notice the difference between a back marker's HQ and Maranello for example. Everything from transport to the race, lodging, catering, press/media responsibilites and it's effect on the driver/pit crew stamina/morale to pr effectiveness, sponsor attractiveness and it's effect on development budget....make the team a real thing. Even if you achieve all this in a diminished graphical mini-game mode it would still add so much more depth to the game. I know dev cycles are limited but it's silly for an F1 game in this day and age to have no discernible difference between Mercedes and Haas F1 other than paint scheme and a couple seconds on track. If I'm at Ferrari I want to test on Maranello and gain development points and an advantage on the rest of the grid. If I'm at a Haas and want to stay there I want to grow my team. I want to see that HQ get bigger, stronger, more successful, more revered. Add characters to the team, even if it's literally an animated gif the likes of Little Mac's trainer...just give him/her a script and an impact on the career mode. Maybe you have a bible thumping engineer back at home who's morale you need to keep high to ensure quality work and you have to balance between keeping your nose clean and partying hard after the GP to gain PR points, groupies for your own morale. How fun would it be to have a "drunken" mode (no offense) for the first couple of laps of a GP after you stayed up late earning points for PR and you can only snap out of if you hit a certain time mark? Whimsical stuff like that only adds depth.
- Give the teams a story you can be part of. Make me feel like I'm walking into a down on their luck Williams or McLaren looking to regain past glory or an uber competitive tightly wound Mercedes that won't tolerate any mistakes.
- Total Career In-game customization. Driver lineups, personalities, bios, rivalries, abilities, race order, points system, everything can be changed by the user. Give me an in-game interface to establish my "universe" at least at the start.
- Injuries and a driver depth chart that includes "test driver" relegation. If you're hurt or demoted you can still race but it's a "VR simulation" in rehab/relegation at 1/2 the rate of XP. Upside is you get more chances to develop sub-stories within the team...unlocking development for the team, car and yourself to get back into the top team.
- A actualizing rivalry system based on on-track interactions/championship standings. I want to see the AI of a direct rival blocking me for points on track or potentially trying to sabotage me. Is that too much to ask for a racing game? :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back