F1 2017 Have Your Say: F1 2017 by Codemasters - What We Want to See

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say Article.jpg

F1 2017 is due to release for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC later this year and we wondered what the community would like once the new game hit's the shelves...

Very little is known about the new Formula One game from Codemasters at present, other than it will build on last years fairly successful addition to the franchise, and it will include the new cars and regulations of the 2017 Formula One season.

It is exceptionally likely Codemasters will continue their strategy of releasing to both console and PC platforms (with a probable mobile version following after release day), however other than that the British devs have been remarkably quiet over the last months whilst work continues back at the studio developing the new title.

Historically Codemasters haven't been the most innovative studio in the racing game industry, often only lightly tinkering with the base game year on year in a quest to ensure deadlines and schedules are maintained and the paying public continue to get their Formula One fix each season. However despite that long running reputation from the past, Codemasters have released genuinely quality products recently with the recent DiRT Rally and Formula One 2016 marking a significant upswing in fortunes for a team once spoken about in the very highest regard with respect to their racing game output. Early previews from the devs indicate the upcoming DiRT 4 title looks well on the way to becoming a big hit with fans as well, so the question is will Codies make the most of the momentum currently behind them and hit the ball out of the park with the new Formula One game?

As alluded to earlier in the article, with so little known about what players can expect to find in Formula One 2017 we thought it might be a bit of fun to do some good old speculation / wish list and dream scenario discussions!

So the question we would like to ask is:

What features / content / options and functionality would you like to see make an appearance in Formula One 2017?

I for one am looking forward to some of the creative responses I'm sure our community can come up with in the comments section. Personally I'd like a game that works out of the box, has believable handling and offers a sincere and challenging driving experience, whilst at the same time offering a usable and stable online environment suitable for clubs such as our own to setup organised league and club racing events. Not really a big ask for 2017, but the decisions some people make means those requests are not necessarily a guarantee for a new game....

The stage is yours people, let the comments commence...... :)

If you want to meet up and discuss F1 2017 in more detail with your fellow fans of the series, feel free to head on over to the Formula One 2017 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation today!

Last edited:
More off-track and off-race experience:
press,
pre-season testing,
restricted upgrade path,
ability to race 3rd person (as if watching TV),
adding 3rd/test-drivers who replace senior-drivers in due time (at least the acknowledged Academy drivers of Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and Renault)
The ability to create and enter a(n eleventh) customized team.
F2 + GP3

press,
pre-season testing,
restricted upgrade path,
adding 3rd/test-drivers who replace senior-drivers in due time (at least the acknowledged Academy drivers of Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and Renault)
F2 + GP3
All of this and more sim experience = Perfect game

MGU-K-Managment, clutch-support on all wheels, a decent online-mode (without that random-ghosting), a careermode like F1 2006 (with 1st, 2nd and testdriver) with the developmentsystem of F1 2016. Thoug, a decent support for triple-screen-user would be nice.

Historically Codemasters haven't been the most innovative studio in the racing game industry, often only lightly tinkering with the base game year on year in a quest to ensure deadlines and schedules are maintained and the paying public continue to get their Formula One fix each season.

I'd have to slightly disagree here. It's true that Codemasters have gotten sort of "rubber-stampish" in the recent past, but at least on the console side, they have produced some of the most innovative racing software ever seen. Except for engine settings, they do a fantastic job with immersion. For instance, a penalty system that not only determines contact penalties (fairly or not, it was impartial) but handles all flag conditions perfectly; a safety car system last year that is not only real (you can tell -- people complain about the length), but keeps track of position and has a "smart" safety car; and perhaps the most well coded A.I. in a series that must be so damn hard to create A.I. for. They don't get enough credit for that, and many techies I talk to say that's one of the hardest things to do.

But all the above is a moot point to me, if the Codies don't get a handle on the proper physics and tire modeling (the latter especially critical and complex for F1) for an F1 car of 2017. They better feel like driving the 2016 car is as boring as your morning commute, because that's what the drivers are saying. So, it's going to take a lot of work to get to Assetto physics, and then to mimic a 2017 car. But clearly they can. Their determination that the console community can't handle it, may, in the end, sway them away from their potential.

Honestly, the F1 series is pretty well done, the only thing I could really say it needs to add is better FFB (I have not tried F1 2016, so maybe it is), physics, damage, and VR support. But all in all, it's hard to complain about physics when the purpose of the game is to appeal to the general audience, vs trying to get sim racers into F1.

Realistic punctures and floor damage! They put that stupid speed limiter on 2015 and 2016 when really they should just put in a system where if you drive faster it will damage your floor decreasing your downforce for that race/session due to debris. Alongside this I would love to see actual tyre delaminations where the whole tyre just explodes/the canvas comes off the rim rather than just a big blob of rubber just circulating the tyre.

Everything i would like F1 2017 to be will never ever happen as that will require another game engine, and purely a PC game.
F1 2016 has fcy's which are very linear. The weather is also very linear. The fact these features are implemented are much more important than the quality of these features, a mechanism much seen in the console arcade games. I bought F1 2016, did a few laps and refunded as it felt like a pure console clone. No more Codies for me

We need to be able to adjust SPEED SENSITIVITY ! this game is unplayable with a controler... when you're going fast, they lock way to much the steering wheel and it's hard to chain high speed turns or recup if we spin the tires... It's awesome they finaly have full lock, but there shouldn't be such high SPEED SENSITIVITY (hence the need of being able to play with that option). Just for good measure, SPEED SENSITIVITY is the artifical locking of turning angle the faster you go, at 0km/h you can fully turn the whell, at 300km/h your turning angle on the wheel is probably 5% or less... it makes it impossible to make good turns in high speed.

press,
pre-season testing,
restricted upgrade path,
F2 + GP3
this pretty much sums it ,
I really liked 2016, I thought it was the best by far, and these things would make it even better

especially ability to create your own team could be very interesting,
and other types of openwheelers.... same F1 cars get boring after a while, but if you could start in lower division and get a contract at some point,that would certainly expand it a lot !

• Remove Crofty or just let him speak casually. I like him fine on Sky Sports Fri-Sun but his artificial chipper robotic demeanor is dreadful and breaks from any realism the game had built up.
  • Don't automate the end of the formation lap. Let the driver find his/her place on the grid and if they miss it, just reposition them. The autopilot for the last few hundred or so yards break from the realism and undermines the point of having the formation lap in the game to begin with - immersion.
  • Also remove the transition and loading animation between grid formation and race start for same reasons as above.
  • Manual pit stop (on/off option). Besides the race start and potential race battles this is the only really exciting and pivotal point in a race and it's sorely lacking.
  • More information on post-race replays. I like to watch these to see where I can improve (just as drivers would in real life) but I can't scrub/search to specific laps as there's no indication of such. Also wish there was a way to break the camera away to see crashes, overtakes, and other race action a bit better.
  • Allow the steering wheel to be hidden. It's distracting when using a steering wheel peripheral especially if there's any input lag and plus it breaks immersion.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back