Have you ever raced with RD?

Hi all,

I am looking at what we can do to get the Club events back on track so to speak and one thing is clear there is still plenty of interest in Race Series. What we do see however is smaller numbers in the Club events than in the past. A few people move on and new ones come so in order to see why numbers have decreased a little i have produced this poll to see whats happening.

please take time to post in it.

Nick

Long time lurker, finally signed up to RD. Took the poll, said there's nothing I see that I like. So many rFactor, Toring Car and GTL leagues. RD needs more RWD RACE 07/GTR:EVO leagues.

I'll check it out when that happens.

You are right with you last statement, but please check out this
http://www.racedepartment.com/rd-chevrolet-camaro-cup/

and from time to time there are a few suitable club-events also

nx’ Controller Settings for Race Pro
Steering Sensitivity:

40% to 50%​
Analog Sector 1:

0.6 to 0.8​
Analog Sector 2:

1.6​
Analog Sector 3:

2.2 to 2.5​
Throttle Sensitivity:

20%​
Brake Sensitivity:

30%​
Steering Dead Zone:

0% to 5%​
Global Steering Lock:

18 degrees​

I use these when on a controller

Finally had some time to try these settings out, and I must say, I am quite amazed.... Indeed there is far less twitching with these settings. Especially the steering and braking is improved.

However, as it seems now, I am going to collect a G25 within the next 2 days, so the controller will be dropped in the drawer again :p. But still, many thanks for the help!

I have really enjoyed the RD public servers and practices, but my only experience in a league race was horrible. I managed to tune a nice Mini Cooper within 2 seconds of the pace in practice and had a lot of very clean laps in traffic. The problem in the race was due to event settings being set higher than anybody else had ever used. I pitted for tires and fuel and received none. I pitted again 2 laps later and received none and then ran out of fuel. I figured out later that at the highest rule settings I would have to program buttons on my wheel to scroll menus while pitting that I never needed before.

I bought a PS3 the next day and have been racing GT5 leagues ever since. GT5 is nice in that I never have to search for an unknown cars or tracks. The graphics are far better than my current PC and updates are automatic.
It's worse in that the physics are only 90% as good as a real race sim and the suspension tuning is crude and sometimes even backwards.

I plan to make my return to Race 07 as soon as I build my new PC and I hope GTR 3 comes out soon.

There is one thing im struggling with its the short time period between the races After 30mins im dead, 2 mins later ive got to race again.I need 10 to 15 mins ,and im sure all the drivers would benefet from a break, if only to clear your head if race 1 didnt go as planned,
I raced at the kW speedway the other night for an hour it killed me .....

And I am now setting up my car to make it easyer to drive lap after lap (no white nuckle ride here)

So if i can come up with a rookie league at some point would anyone be interested. A single car series for people who have never done a league before or are not comfortable in the normal leagues here.

It cannot be for a little while because of work and Rd commitments but its something i can look at, depends on how many people would actually take part and once signed up complete the season

Hi Nick,

As normal leagues are limited in number of drivers, a rookie league would be perfect for interested people and less quick drivers as ...me :rolleyes:.
So, if you start one, I'll be there ... if the chosen days for racing don't interfere with my other occupation. ( as on tuesdays and sundays ).

Very good idea ! :doublethumb:

Jean-Pierre Blanchy
user-offline.png
Licensed Member

Hi Nick,

As normal leagues are limited in number of drivers, a rookie league would be perfect for interested people and less quick drivers as ...me :rolleyes:.
So, if you start one, I'll be there ... if the chosen days for racing don't interfere with my other occupation. ( as on tuesdays and sundays ).

Very good idea ! :doublethumb:​

Great idea count me in!!!! Just not on saturdays maybe friday nights or Monday..

I would definitelly join a newbie league.;) But I already sens a problem. To make a league for noobs sombody would have to decide whether a specific player is a noob or not. It is easy to imagine that even more advanced players would try to join newbie league after they failed joining one of the existing more professional leagues. This could lead to lack of noobs in the league dedicated to them... We would end up with another professional and competetive league that's only said to be for noobs. Hope you know what I mean.:D

Also the choice of cars should be narrowed down. There is a lot of cars available in expansions but noobs tend to have only the Race 07/Evo/Race On games without GT Power or Retro Packs. When creating a league for noobs somebody would have to take that into account. Take me for instance - before I now I am able to compete with others I don't want to spend money for GT Power just to get 3 new cars. In case I suck I would not benefit from 3 more cars anyway.

I think the biggest issue will be to keep the attention....

I know that in the past, RD has had stuff like this, and it died because a lack of interest. At first (as displayed in this thread also), a lot of people say they will join. Most will do so when the league is presented.
However, after a few of the events, people loose their interest, so you end up with half the grid you started with. Could be for various reasons. Already missed a event, so why reserve time in the personal schedule, disapointed in the actual racing, not getting what was expected, always end last and get demotivated, stuff like that.

But indeed, if this goes through, I also think its important that there are limited addons used. MODs is no issue, as long as they are free to use.
Perhaps its also an idea to use not so fast cars. No GT for instance, since they require a lot more driving skill then f.i. a Seat Leon.

In regards to no-noobs joining, thats a good thing in the end I think. They tent to finisch what they start, so more chance for a filled grid at the end of the league, and they (can) have good tips for the rookies. I know I learn the most from the races I drive with Remco. Not only does the presence of him push me harder to perform, but he also advises me in terms of racing lines, breaking points and other stuff. That helpes a lot.

Well to me a noob league would be just that but that does not detract non noobs as put earlier in the thread from joining. That said any seasoned vets would have to be more guarded about how they take the occasional offs and hits. Thing is we all have to start somewhere and for many joining a league is a big thing and it is different than normal club races. Your expected to drive better and also expected to turn up. These things lead to problems sometimes which have to be addressed. Simply put your a noob if you think your a noob, for me i have raced in many games for years and i used to get groups of people together to play team stuff, but i never did a league before a couple of months ago so to me i was a noob.

I may even contemplate a team league so that it is more useful to help people out and therefore more people get benefit from it. It would only be a 1 car event as a more equal footing is wise, it is bad enough with setups being a make or break without having different cars to worry about. It wouls only be a small series in my eyes and soemthing like once a fortnight for 6 races or something so the interest is there all the time to practiuce but however its not over powering that you have to be practicing every day.

I would maybe use something like a mini or maybe the Seats we are running atm but nothing too fast and uncontrollable.

By all means let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions please feel free to write here or pm me in relation to this.

Nick

As for the lack of interest I agree - this could be a very serious problem. But then again a noob league does not have to have a strict format like more professional ones have. You don't need 24 drivers turn up every event. Don't forget it's primary goal would be to give experience to these noobs in a less stressful environment. Otherwise we would quickly end up with another professional league which is the opposite to the original idea. Even if you get only half of the grid that's good. It may actually be better than competing with 23 drivers simply because it reduces the risk of crashes which (assuming it's mostly noob-based grid) would be common anyway.

Coming back to discussion about no-noobs I must say it's hard to say how this could end up. Let's say we have 15 drivers in total. 3 or 4 of them are more advanced drivers. This is definitely a good thing as they are more demanding and make you push harder to win. You can also see how their line of drive or braking differs from yours and how you can improve. However, look at the popularity of the RDTCC league. A lot of people don't get to the league although they aren't noobs in any way. What will they do in case they don't get to RDTCC? They'll look for other options and their choice may be the noob league. Now given the popularity of the RDTCC we could end up with over a half of the grid being filled by drivers who aren't noobs at all. This could also lead to increased professionalism with its good and bad effects.

As for the classes that should take part - I think it should always be decided by the people who join. That way we ensure people don't change their mind before the league starts. I personally prefer GT cars. Now if I am forced to race in Minis just because they are easier to control (but I don't like them at all) I would probably decide to not take part in the league. Some other people would get put off by the idea as well. This is why I think drivers should decide (with a vote before a season starts). It simply reduced the risk of the league having insufficient number of drivers.

Of course me not liking the Minis is just an example. I don't like them BUT I would take part in the league no matter what cars you pick. However, I guess some people would not appreciate the idea of driving only the slow cars.

What if "noob" is being described as follows.

A "noob" is a person whom has not (or rarerly) raced in a RD league or event.
You could prioritize them to the people who already have some experience. I think thats ok, since we are talking about a noob league. Those who have applied to RDTCC are expected to be experienced. This is what is requested in the info threat. Selection will be done on clean driving, and being reliable in showing up. With 40+ applications, its not a surprise that those who have no experience are not selected. So in a way, the noob league could supplement the RDTCC (and other leagues), and really be "a different level".

In regards to the filled grid, I like it. I like having a lot of cars around, cause that makes good practice. If it's not desired that 24 racers are on the grid, why not set a maximum of 20 or 15 drivers. If there are 30 applicants, divide the league in 2 events (US and EUR time, same days). Since races can be identical, setting the 2nd one up shouldnt be much more work.
Just trying to say that there are options in limiting the nr of racers.

I do think that a little flexibilitie in racing rules could be applied (although I dont think its needed, just be polite, try to do your best, and give position back if takeover was inappropriate and there won't be a problem), but I don't think the requirement to showup when signedup rule needs to be adjusted. IF you sign up, SHOW up. Think thats only fair.

In regards to cars.
If you select the leon euro, or wtcc class, there are choices in the cars. A BMW drives totally different then the Seat, so will be a different experience. I don't think overpowering is a wise thing. If this will be a succes, perhaps a GT newbie league could be the next thing to investigate, but for now I think it's best to keep it as simple as possible. But like above with the mini, I would signup with GT's also :)

There are several of us "seasoned" racers that would enjoy these races. I've been racing RD since my join date, probably over 400 races, three leagues run to completion and over 10000[more like15000] laps on RD servers. BUT, I'm just about always 5-8 seconds off the fast guys pace and all alone as a backmarker. As I said, there are others like myself that would appreciate being able to run with the crowd, just like we do when on the public servers but without being shoved around. Thanks!

There are several of us "seasoned" racers that would enjoy these races. I've been racing RD since my join date, probably over 400 races, three leagues run to completion and over 10000[more like15000] laps on RD servers. BUT, I'm just about always 5-8 seconds off the fast guys pace and all alone as a backmarker. As I said, there are others like myself that would appreciate being able to run with the crowd, just like we do when on the public servers but without being shoved around. Thanks!

Then Dennis this may just be the thing for you when i get it off the ground mate. As i said before there are some seasoned players that would like this. My only concern is there is going to be incidents and i cannot help that, as long as people like yourself understand this and allow for this then i have no problem whatsoever in joining you up mate :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back