Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GT Sport Released 2.jpg

Polyphony Digital have released highly anticipated Gran Turismo Sport on PlayStation 4, debuting a new direction for the long running racing franchise.

With the new title Gran Turismo and Polyphony Digital have moved away from the traditional car collection and customisation formula that has worked so well for the series in the past, focusing the main gameplay experience on a detailed online 'esport' experiment designed to take players away from campaign style driving and into the world of competitive online competition. Supported and endorsed by the world governing body of motorsport, the FIA.

Available in an array of different bundle choices, players of the Sony PlayStation 4 today have their first opportunity to try out the full Gran Turismo Sport game following a long and often delayed development programme by Polyphony Digital.

As with many modern games, the new release doesn't come cheap for those wanting to get their hands of the title from day one, with prices ranging from £49.99 into well into the hundreds of pounds. You can check up on the different versions of the title at the Gran Turismo site HERE.

Already released in a limited access beta over the past few weeks, European regions now have access to the full title and can take on the array of vehicles so lovingly crafted by the Japanese gaming giants.

If you missed our earlier car reveal article, check it out HERE.
Wanting to know what tracks come with GT Sport? Fear not, we covered it earlier HERE.

To mark the release of GT Sport in Europe Polyphony have released a new trailer, which can be viewed below:

GT Sport is available for PlayStation 4 right now.

GT Sport Released.jpg
GT Sport Released 3.jpg
GT Sport Released 4.jpg

You can find the latest news and discussion regarding the Gran Turismo series of games at the Gran Turismo sub forum here at RaceDepartment. Join in the discussion with your fellow GT fans today!

What do you think of the game? Impressed or left cold? Happy with the latest GT franchise direction? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I wish the same but who would buy a PS4 if it's available for PC? So it will never happen. I think it's actually already pretty odd that Forza is there for PC (for the same reason).
It's not odd since I don't think that forza for Windows 10 would really reduce the sells of the Xbox.
Also if you take out that factor, Microsoft gets the money for the game either way. Maybe it even gains Xbox sells in the end, because PC people want to have more Xbox exclusive games or just want to play them without fiddling with settings, in the living room, with splitscreen, etc.

But to be honest: that would be an interesting statistic to see!

Sony on the other hand won't see any money if GT would be sold for PC.

It's not odd since I don't think that forza for Windows 10 would really reduce the sells of the Xbox.
Also if you take out that factor, Microsoft gets the money for the game either way. Maybe it even gains Xbox sells in the end, because PC people want to have more Xbox exclusive games or just want to play them without fiddling with settings, in the living room, with splitscreen, etc.

But to be honest: that would be an interesting statistic to see!

Sony on the other hand won't see any money if GT would be sold for PC.
Untrue about GT on the pc. Some people will own both a console and gaming pc but may will not. Those that don't and buy the game on pc, will generate nearly pure profit for Sony.

For me, I think GT Sport has got some very important things right and can't now be overlooked. It actually delivers the experience that it sets out too.

The fact it focuses players attention on a handful of races and tracks means players practice properly and get better. This helps people drive more reliably which means better races. Also the ghosting is very well tuned with it saving me from numerous occasions where I would have been taken out by someone else's mistake.

Quality wise I'm happy too. Physics are detailed enough to let you feel subtle differences in car models, in the same class and minor setup changes as well as sense when the limit is near. Once I'd dialled into them I found them in no way distracting. My issues were with my car, line or driving, not with a lack of communication between the car and me through the handling. Also the graphics are solid and consistent.

GT Sport is a title designed for mass online racing and nothing else. The simple fact is I spent a day playing it and had a blast with continual good quality races where you have to drive well not just survive. Other titles may be better on paper, but in practice GT Sport delivers reliable high quality racing time and again and that's what really matters to me above all.

Well said Daniel.

I got pCar2 and GTS on PS4 Pro on Friday, and I've spent 90% of my time in GTS....purely because what they *DO* have they have delivered with incredible polish.

Example : ran a race in PC2 in fog and watched the replay....it stuttered at 30fps (but when I view the AI cars they run in replay at 60 fps), there were black textures all over the place and there was no spatial placement of engine sounds...so my car 300 metres away sounded like it was beside me.

Contrast with GTS - replays are simply sublime....lighting is incredible...sounds in replays are where I expect them to be.

I could drone on and on......but at this point :

PC2 - needs a load of patches, fixes and optimisations to be stellar.

GTS - needs more content for longevity but is already polished to perfection.

Sadly additional content for PC2 will be $$$$$ as DLC.

GTS has already said up to 350 additional cars and countless tracks are coming...all free.

GTS has already said up to 350 additional cars and countless tracks are coming...all free.
I'm not 100% sure that this will be true, I was looking for info on this last night and what I've found is that the lead developer has confirmed two things regarding this:
1. There will be more cars and tracks added, the current plans are to push the car count to over 400 cars over time.
2. There will be no microtransactions

People seem to have taken nr 2 here as DLC will be free, but imo you can interpret that as they will not sell single cars or credits, inside the game (aka not on the Playstation store) for real money but still expect you to pay for DLC.
I'd love for it to be true, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Usually I'd agree that developers need DLC to make money for it to be commercially viable, but content wise I think GT sport was released early before what was intended to be in the full release was ready. In this case Sony may subsidise the DLC as a strong GT title shifts consoles so it's worth their while.

I'm interested in what the DLC will be. Already 4 things stand out. Le Mans as a Scene but not a playable track, the Ford GT being the only GTE car not represented, a lack of Grp2 cars (P2 DPI?) and finally a historic Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton being such a major part of the intro. All these point to obvious gaps that seem to be screaming out to be filled.

I think you are right, I very much doubt that Polyphony are dropping free DLC for the fun of it, that is not the model for gaming now.

I would like to think they are, and let's be honest even in GT6 they could have dropped tons of the stuff they did as DLC and folk would still buy it, but they only charged for a percentage. Not sure why.

I think they will have grades. And I do think Polyphony are more likely to look after their product for longer, an aspect of them I like, so they don't just leave their game half finished, full of bugs and start the next one as it is due for release. So they can release stuff over a longer period and get the whole game working perfectly as much as you can.

But, their games in recent years have felt like glorified patches of previous titles, not helped by using old content, which does not help their reputation.

The Super GT series has been confirmed, as has classical cars (very general saying classic cars, but im happy nonetheless as i feel that the current game lacks very heavily in older cars, which can be the most fun to drive imo).
Considering the cooperation with FIA I think we wouldn't be too far off expecting more FIA tracks either, i think they are wanting to be the GT version of what Codemasters managed to convince FIA to do with F1.

With liberty media in charge I think we might see a few more f1 licences flying about in the coming years. WEC and GT cars get way more virtual exposure than real world. Liberty will want to 'maximise the activation of a key asset to a under utilised social demographic' :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back