First F1 'Shield' Concept Images Revealed

:thumbsup:Cool....:thumbsup:

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 207
They don't have assisting systems since 2004. Unless you mean something else then traction control?

The communication 'Coaching' is assistance to the nth degree.
Prefer the 'look' of this effort to the previous proposals aside from obvious wet weather problems, but I doubt any such 'protection' is necessary.
Motorsport is dangerous, far less so than it was since I began watching and participating but nobody is forced to take part.

I like it.
Anything which will protect the guys and allow them to go home on Sunday night is fine by me.
I don't 'get' the attitude that guys raced unprotected for years or that calling for some form of debris deflection device means a driver is afraid.
We have examples of drivers killed and Massa almost from a spring.
It won't be the 'cure-all' in all cases but it's a start. and quite frankly, long overdue.

:confused::D Shouldn't have said that... Now they will get a concrete roof. :p

I just watched an old school formula race... The ballz on those guys. The skills to go flat out and know that a split second of thinking about anything other than the road ahead meant instant death. Not just go flat, but also race...

Don't get me wrong its good that they keep the guys safe, but it makes you think a little extra about the brazz ballz guyz and what they actually did back then. They were the elite of the elite. :)

Exactly.

At this rate the driver may as well just have a network connection from the simulator to the car.

Scratch that, just let the computer drive the car, then drivers won't risk death getting elevated heart rates sat in the simulator and getting excited.

Scratch that, just do it all inside a computer, then you don't need to risk pit crews. Or spectators driving to the races!

Scratch that, just stop F1, then we can avoid ALL deaths relating to it.

I 'get' the screen, I get everything. But it makes life dull if you go too far making things safe.

It's not something I think is needed in F1. Will F3 cars have to have these too? Will my local kart track have to fit them? Where is my aero screen on my TKM kart?

Drivers should stop complaining and get on with it. If you think it's too dangerous, stop racing. There will be a dozen replacements for you. Stop trying to totally neuter the sport.

I accept the danger of racing, I don't lobby people to change tracks or force to make changes, if you don't like it then stop doing it.

It's not something I think is needed in F1. Will F3 cars have to have these too? Will my local kart track have to fit them? Where is my aero screen on my TKM kart?

Drivers should stop complaining and get on with it. If you think it's too dangerous, stop racing. There will be a dozen replacements for you. Stop trying to totally neuter the sport.

I accept the danger of racing, I don't lobby people to change tracks or force to make changes, if you don't like it then stop doing it.
man, EVERY driver are not agree with these aero screen or whatever they called the many iterations we've seen
The FIA wants this, the drivers don't and they never complained about that by the way

who designed that ?
its the best iteration i've seen

this could have save/protect Massa but not Justin Wilson
Its the design what is in the thread , OP , I just copied what is proposed to give a better example ,
somewhere there is external and onboard TV cams as well :)

man, EVERY driver are not agree with these aero screen or whatever they called the many iterations we've seen
The FIA wants this, the drivers don't and they never complained about that by the way
Personally looking at it , will improve performance I would say around 0.2 0.3 seconds a lap ,
there will be less drag :)

Is this going to be a standardised bit given to all teams to fit?
if not how long before we start seeing teams adding mini winglets to it and curves / folds to incorporate it as a drag reducer? also hows it going to work with the detachable head rest getting in and out the car? also what about the airflow into the airbox, won't they have to raise the airboxs? it looks as the the airflow would be directed to just skim past the T cam.

I've seen too many drivers die, if it helps even one get home it is good.
Even Wilson may have been helped, consider the speed the nose cone was falling to the forward velocity of his car. The distance the cone would have fallen in a split second that the opening of the cockpit was there to fall into may have had it clip the leading edge. Maybe not, but but a good amount of falling debris incidents would hit it.

I've seen too many drivers die, if it helps even one get home it is good.
Even Wilson may have been helped, consider the speed the nose cone was falling to the forward velocity of his car. The distance the cone would have fallen in a split second that the opening of the cockpit was there to fall into may have had it clip the leading edge. Maybe not, but but a good amount of falling debris incidents would hit it.

You're right. The tv cameras didn't do a great job showing the debris, but it's entirely possible that the winglet that entered Justin Wilson's cockpit would have hit the top-most portion of the aeroshield first. It's also possible that larger debris could land flat on the aeroshield and never enter the cockpit at all.

Drivers die and engineers come up with ways to prevent those exact deaths and people surrounding the sport are going to tell them no? Yes racing is dangerous. But that's never stopped the sport from improving its safety and I don't understand why it should stop it now.

Cars get faster, at least the corner speeds do, and most years they get safer too. Both are very good things. There always seem to be a few who feel it is cool or edgy or maybe just a necessary evil that occasionally someone dies for their entertainment. I am not one of them.

They don't have assisting systems since 2004. Unless you mean something else then traction control?

No electronics AT ALL. No ecu, no KERS. Everything must be mechanical or electric. And no other regulations than a minimum weight and a maximum power output. If that means that you cant have 800 hp anymore, so be it. It's up to the constructors to make a car that can be driven without electronic interference. Security-wise of course it's allowed to have electronic systems if needed, but none that affects how the machine handles on the track. Let the real racing begin!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back