• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

First F1 'Shield' Concept Images Revealed

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +12,401
    F1 Shield Design 2.jpg
    The FIA has revealed a first image of the newly proposed 'Shield' cockpit protection, due to make its track debut at Silverstone next week.

Designed to be more visually appealing that the previous Halo concept already tested on track last year, the new, longer, shield will be tested during opening practice of the British Grand Prix by Ferrari next weekend.

Constructed from polycarbonate and designed to help protect a drivers head in the event of loose debris on track, the new 'Shield' has been designed in direct response to criticism from fans and drivers about the aesthetical appeal of previously revealed designs.

The concept design has been developed by Italian company Isoclima, and it is thought that several alternative options are under consideration as the FIA continue to push for mandatory cockpit protection from the 2018 season.

More to follow...

Check out the Formula One sub forum for more news and discussion regarding the world of Grand Prix racing.

Do you like the new design? Do you think head protection is needed in Formula One? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    • Sad Sad x 10
    • Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 3
    • Angry Angry x 3
  2. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,168
    Looks wicked :D

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +458
    Better than all the other designs that were shown. Tho whenever I hear about 4 wheel drivers afraid of (kinda) rare situations due to their head exposed I just remember these guys

To each their own tho, I guess if I was in these cars I'd also support the idea :roflmao:

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  4. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +305
    This looks like a Frankenstein baby of a F1 car which got inpregnated by an open LMP class car. :poop::p:roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. BenCollins

BenCollins
    Premium

Ratings:
    +189
    It's nothing to do with being "afraid". It's about removing needless deaths from motorsport. Isle of Man riders often die crashing into the side of a pub wall. Not the most heroic way to die.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Crekkan

Crekkan

Ratings:
    +7
    It DOES look better than the Halo and early concepts of this kind of protection, but I feel like it neuters the feel of F1. Just doesn't feel necessary and the entire program an over-exaggeration.

Still, if this comes into affect, would be interesting to see how the teams adapt the cars to a new slab of stuff on the front of the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +352
    Mmm...but what if a plane falls onto a F1 car?

• Haha Haha x 23
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mark Ratzenbacher

Mark Ratzenbacher

Ratings:
    +10
    It´s got to have tear-off foils on it like a helmet ? or wipers, :p But seriously this will work ?

9. BenCollins

BenCollins
    Premium

Ratings:
    +189
    Either encase the driver or don't, this seems sort of a token effort.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +344
    I Still think the issue of a piece of debris falling at a sharp angle is not getting recognised... Wilson died because the nose cone that hit him was dropping out of the air at a steep descent angle. All these designs Halo, Aeroscreen, and the shield neglect the problem from above. They only seem to address the problem from in front. And to address that issue we would have to go close cockpit... Trying to find a solution halfway is futile...

I don't want to watch another race and know I have just witnessed someone lose their life... Its happened with Wilson...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +458
    Or just a crash like Justin Wilson

The part you kept out: :thumbsup:

12. GTSpeedster

GTSpeedster

Ratings:
    +75
    Years since I quit watching F1. They can "race" with an entire Roman Legion protecting each car for all I care.

• Haha Haha x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Sad Sad x 1
  13. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +519
    uhhh just add reactive armour to helmets

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheMrSuperShotJay

TheMrSuperShotJay
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2
    Looks awful as usual, I think its just a poor idea, its to angled to have wipers and imagine racing in the rain with a full windshield and no wipers let alone when it gets dirty. F1 cars should stay open cockpit, if it was really too dangerous MotoGP would be banned haha

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,168
    Something like this yeah :geek:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BenCollins

BenCollins
    Premium

Ratings:
    +189
    What a pointless comment.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Sad Sad x 2
  17. Gopher04

Gopher04
    Old But Not Obsolete.. Premium

Ratings:
    +329
    Wow the drivers are going to have to have long arms for the tear-offs..:confused:

• Haha Haha x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,168
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 4
  19. JPL083

JPL083

Ratings:
    +58
    Next put fender's on it and vóila, you have Lmp-car, exept you can throw beer-can's in it. Difference is that at least Lmp's sound better and they go flatout even if it is 24h. Why not same time ditch the whole open wheeler's? They are ruined anyway's. Way to go... Damn wrap everything in foam-era. Tiny scratch on a finger and.... Bbbyyyyäääääähhhhhh, moommmyyyyy!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  20. BenCollins

BenCollins
    Premium

Ratings:
    +189
    No need for the hyperbole - the last two deaths in F1 may have been avoided with this modification.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1