First F1 'Shield' Concept Images Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Shield Design 2.jpg

The FIA has revealed a first image of the newly proposed 'Shield' cockpit protection, due to make its track debut at Silverstone next week.

Designed to be more visually appealing that the previous Halo concept already tested on track last year, the new, longer, shield will be tested during opening practice of the British Grand Prix by Ferrari next weekend.

Constructed from polycarbonate and designed to help protect a drivers head in the event of loose debris on track, the new 'Shield' has been designed in direct response to criticism from fans and drivers about the aesthetical appeal of previously revealed designs.

The concept design has been developed by Italian company Isoclima, and it is thought that several alternative options are under consideration as the FIA continue to push for mandatory cockpit protection from the 2018 season.

More to follow...

Check out the Formula One sub forum for more news and discussion regarding the world of Grand Prix racing.

Do you like the new design? Do you think head protection is needed in Formula One? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Better than all the other designs that were shown. Tho whenever I hear about 4 wheel drivers afraid of (kinda) rare situations due to their head exposed .....

It's nothing to do with being "afraid". It's about removing needless deaths from motorsport. Isle of Man riders often die crashing into the side of a pub wall. Not the most heroic way to die.

It DOES look better than the Halo and early concepts of this kind of protection, but I feel like it neuters the feel of F1. Just doesn't feel necessary and the entire program an over-exaggeration.

Still, if this comes into affect, would be interesting to see how the teams adapt the cars to a new slab of stuff on the front of the car.

I Still think the issue of a piece of debris falling at a sharp angle is not getting recognised... Wilson died because the nose cone that hit him was dropping out of the air at a steep descent angle. All these designs Halo, Aeroscreen, and the shield neglect the problem from above. They only seem to address the problem from in front. And to address that issue we would have to go close cockpit... Trying to find a solution halfway is futile...

I don't want to watch another race and know I have just witnessed someone lose their life... Its happened with Wilson...

Looks awful as usual, I think its just a poor idea, its to angled to have wipers and imagine racing in the rain with a full windshield and no wipers let alone when it gets dirty. F1 cars should stay open cockpit, if it was really too dangerous MotoGP would be banned haha

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 6919

Wow the drivers are going to have to have long arms for the tear-offs..:confused:

Next put fender's on it and vóila, you have Lmp-car, exept you can throw beer-can's in it. Difference is that at least Lmp's sound better and they go flatout even if it is 24h. Why not same time ditch the whole open wheeler's? They are ruined anyway's. Way to go... Damn wrap everything in foam-era. Tiny scratch on a finger and.... Bbbyyyyäääääähhhhhh, moommmyyyyy!!!!!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 289 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.3%