Resource icon

Other evoHUD 1.5.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
It's not so simple. try ... catch can handle the error when file doesn't exist. But it never catch conflict of global variables or the problem of loading order. It'll certainly bring a confusion to beginner who you target to and I can't test them in all condition which I can consider due to the limitation of one man project.
Understood. My thought was that amateur coders like me can still create problems with dependencies etc and add a single line into load a "bad" widget. The directory listing does not create the potential for dependency issues it just makes loading widgets without everyone having to customise the primary nut file possible.

Your decision of course but it would really help me to have the option.

You guys easily say that without any serious consideration. But you never think how much I spend a time for it. So, I suggest you I give source code and copyright of this MOD to you, then I quit and you fix it and take all responsibility for it. It surely makes all people happy.
Hey, hey! No one saying this, don't misunderstand my words!
We are grateful for you work and no one wants to charge you with extra work, just saying some aren't able to help you because the problem isn't EvoHUD but the game itself...

Understood. My thought was that amateur coders like me can still create problems with dependencies etc and add a single line into load a "bad" widget. The directory listing does not create the potential for dependency issues it just makes loading widgets without everyone having to customise the primary nut file possible.

Your decision of course but it would really help me to have the option.
I'm amateur too. To add loading API itself is no problem. But associated issue is beyond my capable. So my suggestion is:
1. create folder Plugins\evoHUD\squirrel.
2. All of nut files in above folder are loaded automatically at startup. No additional API function for activating/deactivating this mechanism.
This API function will be marked as not recommended. And no support provides.

If you want to make your code opensource then maybe someone else will take on the project. That is a big maybe though and you know your code better than any one else.

Please don't mistake people's enthusiasm for your mod as a lack of thought for your time and effort. It is your time and effort that has generated the enthusiasm.

The vast majority of people will find it technically challenging to give you the info you ask for even with the instructions you provided. I have 11years experience in IT support and it is often hard to get even people competent with Windows to do more complex tasks like providing debug logs.

Please don't take anything negative from this thread.i think we have got the limit of many people's IT skills.

This is my personal history:
5 or some years ago, someone reported it didn't work. Then I provided what he should do. He ignored it and repeatedly said same thing. After that he asked video instruction step by step. I denied it. Finally, he asked older version in everywhere of RD forum. So, I asked why you need older version. Then his answer was he used pirated version of game, so he need it.

This was extreme case, obviously. But I got quite serious damage from it. Since then, I ignore all simple 'it doesn't work' post. If someone can't provide information I need, it's his/her problem, not mine. And he/she has to live with that because I take no charge from this MOD. I want to make a less buggy MOD, but I have no responsible to do it. No one can force me to do it. Because time and resources are very limited. When I decided it, it's done. If you don't agree with my opinion, please leave.

Please don't forget this. This MOD is provided "as is", without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this MOD.

So my suggestion is:
1. create folder Plugins\evoHUD\squirrel.
2. All of nut files in above folder are loaded automatically at startup. No additional API function for activating/deactivating this mechanism.
This API function will be marked as not recommended. And no support provides.
I would like to be able have some control over when and what is loaded hence the idea of something that can be passed a path relative to evoHUD folder and returns an array of all files in the location passed. I can then loop the array and do basic error checking etc.

Just loading everything in a folder at launch gives me no control of when and what files are loaded etc.

For debugging I have found the ability to reload files (widgets) on demand makes testing much quicker as otherwise I have to keep closing AMS, restarting and going back on track.

Last edited:
What other software are people with crashing EvoHUD running? What GPU and drivers? There must be something these instances have in common...

Should we perhaps open a different topic specifically on this issue to keep the discussion away from this thread?

I don't think supporting multi .nut files is a wise decision. Basic users of the mod will find it difficult to install it.
On another note, I had crashes with evoHUD in the beginning (win8.1). Then I removed AMS install from the HDD (D: drive) and reinstalled it on the SSD (C: drive), which I was determined to do anyway for weeks. That surprisingly solved my crashes problems with evoHUD. Nothing else was changed to my system at all, not even a driver or windows update.

I don't think supporting multi .nut files is a wise decision. Basic users of the mod will find it difficult to install it.

I don't think you fully understand the plan.
Installation will be no harder than now. Download a ZIP file and extract it to the AMS folder. Same as any track, car, etc mod.

For those that want it easy nothing becomes harder in installation. In-Game they will be able to position the widgets whilst on track (much easier than exit game, change numbers in a file, reload game, check positioning) and also configure basic options for widgets that support additional options.

For those that want to dig a little deeper they can create their own widget "nut" files that contain just the code for their widget. They can submit that to the "pool" of widgets to be distributed with the ZIP for others. Or they can upload themselves with instructions on where to put the widget file. Sharing of customisations becomes easier for those that want that.

On top of that the coding becomes easier. Rather than a single 2000+ line file containing all the widgets I now have 16 much smaller files where each file contains the code for one widget.

The whole purpose of my project is to make it as easy as possible for those that want / like / need it easy whilst still giving the advanced tweaking that some enjoy.

On another note, I had crashes with evoHUD in the beginning (win8.1). Then I removed AMS install from the HDD (D: drive) and reinstalled it on the SSD (C: drive), which I was determined to do anyway for weeks. That surprisingly solved my crashes problems with evoHUD. Nothing else was changed to my system at all, not even a driver or windows update.
I had someone do the same thing, he went the other way, from C: to D: with a clean installation and it started working. I keep thinking it has something to do with admin rights - user account control settings and maybe where the userdata folder is. if mine was one of the ones broken i could prob work out what was causing it but mine works like a charm:)

I would like to be able have some control over when and what is loaded hence the idea of something that can be passed a path relative to evoHUD folder and returns an array of all files in the location passed. I can then loop the array and do basic error checking etc.

Just loading everything in a folder at launch gives me no control of when and what files are loaded etc.

For debugging I have found the ability to reload files (widgets) on demand makes testing much quicker as otherwise I have to keep closing AMS, restarting and going back on track.
That was my maximum compromised offer I could provide.

Maybe, you misinterpret the concept of this MOD. This MOD provides only fundamental or basic functionality for HUD(or GUI). All higher level function should be coding in squirrel except the cause of non-negligible performance loss. Your proposal is belong to higher-level in my perspective.

So, remaining options is you build loading system on your own with squirrel standard libraries. See http://squirrel-lang.org/squirreldoc/sqstdlib3.pdf After that, I'll move or add some part into dll to copensate missing feature.

And one more thing, all in one concept you are thinking might be wrong course of development. Selecting widget from the list should be done before start game. Then show/hide widget is provided by key assign or menu. It's up to you, of course, but I think your goal is too ambitious. Personally, a person who can't even copy file(s) into proper place should not use MOD because those people can't understand or recognize what they are doing or have done.

Judging from path related issue, win10 issue might be related with long path enabled which has introduced in win10 anniversary. Even if so, I can do nothing since win api itself doesn't support these functionality properly yet.

So, remaining options is you build loading system on your own with squirrel standard libraries. See http://squirrel-lang.org/squirreldoc/sqstdlib3.pdf After that, I'll move or add some part into dll to copensate missing feature.

Unfortunately the file / directory manipulation available in squirrel is very minimal as I'm sure you know. My only other option is to use dir command with output saved to file and then attempt to parse the file. Even reading a txt file in squirrel is not easy and this approach seems much too hacky just to get a list of files in a directory.

I'll think it over. The offer of something to load everything in a directory without any checks or validation of the files in there I feel is too broad an option but I appreciate the offer.

Thank you for considering my request.

I used your latest snapshot last night. No problems so far but not tested all new features yet. Just finishing off config file reading and writing to save users desired settings in a separate file rather than hard coded into each widget (default options are coded in the widgets).

Once that is working I can move onto the GUI which will save position of widgets and custom options (mph/kph, litres/gallons, etc) to the config file mentioned above.

My progress is going well and performance is still great (no difference I can see to your default nut file). The directory listing is the icing on the cake..... but the cake will still be tasty without it :)

Unfortunately the file / directory manipulation available in squirrel is very minimal as I'm sure you know. My only other option is to use dir command with output saved to file and then attempt to parse the file. Even reading a txt file in squirrel is not easy and this approach seems much too hacky just to get a list of files in a directory.

I'll think it over. The offer of something to load everything in a directory without any checks or validation of the files in there I feel is too broad an option but I appreciate the offer.

Thank you for considering my request.

I used your latest snapshot last night. No problems so far but not tested all new features yet. Just finishing off config file reading and writing to save users desired settings in a separate file rather than hard coded into each widget (default options are coded in the widgets).

Once that is working I can move onto the GUI which will save position of widgets and custom options (mph/kph, litres/gallons, etc) to the config file mentioned above.

My progress is going well and performance is still great (no difference I can see to your default nut file). The directory listing is the icing on the cake..... but the cake will still be tasty without it :)
Probably, missing functions are directory search with regex. Loading function is already in there. What else you need?

Probably, missing functions are directory search with regex. Loading function is already in there. What else you need?

I've looked into this for a couple of days but I am not as skilled as you. I have been unable to get a list of files in a directory or find any examples that don't really on other libraries. Loading a file is there (and I'm already using it). But I have to hard code the files to load as not able to get a list of files in a directory as an array.

Hope that makes sense.

I've looked into this for a couple of days but I am not as skilled as you. I have been unable to get a list of files in a directory or find any examples that don't really on other libraries. Loading a file is there (and I'm already using it). But I have to hard code the files to load as not able to get a list of files in a directory as an array.

Hope that makes sense.
So, at this point, you need file search function with regular expression(searching "*.nut" recursively and return array of file list). Am I correct?

I think a fully customisable widget isn't a vital necessity. A lightweight working hud that blends graphically with current AMS layout and is still beautiful and easy to read out should be first priority imo. Moving parts with the mouse as next step sounds great too.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%