Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

Can anyone help me please. I want to setup the next level motion platform v3 with HTC vive but could not find any guideline on how to go about it. I need to know the list of items I have to buy to setup the Next level motion platform because I couldn't find any complete package.

Hey fella,

Yeah the Vive and Next Level Motion work together just fine, there's no special requirements. Next Level doesn't sell a complete cockpit with the motion platform. You would need to buy the NL cockpit and motion platform and then put it together. It's not hard, but as much as I love my NL motion, I disliked the cockpit, it's not great.

Upvote 0
as much as I love my NL motion, I disliked the cockpit, it's not great.

I was actually talking to my wife last night about this (she is the one that convinced me to pull the trigger on my new Sim-lab chassis, bless her :) ) and I was remembering back to the original GT cockpit I bought back when i realised that the desk mount just wasn't going to cut it for my then G25 (man that feels like ages ago, only 2 years though). The fact that that cockpit was a lot less adjustable actually made it feel much more sturdy and a lot less needing of DIY bracing and modifying. I actually really liked that cockpit, it was tube design, nothing super strong (maybe 20mm tubing) but it was really sturdy, looked good, had a place to mount my handbrake vertically (!) albeit a home made mount, and comfortable. The seat was MILES better than the GT Ultimate one from a comfort and practicality viewpoint (the Ultimate seat is HUGE, overly huge) and as the pedal deck was not adjustable it was a lot more secure!

Thinking back, that was a really nice cockpit for $600 AUD. Anything static (no motion) and mainstream hardware wise (Logitech, Thrustmaster, Fanatec) would suit very well with that one.

Can't wait to replace my GT 'Ultimate'..... !

Upvote 0
I was actually talking to my wife last night about this (she is the one that convinced me to pull the trigger on my new Sim-lab chassis, bless her :) ) and I was remembering back to the original GT cockpit I bought back when i realised that the desk mount just wasn't going to cut it for my then G25 (man that feels like ages ago, only 2 years though). The fact that that cockpit was a lot less adjustable actually made it feel much more sturdy and a lot less needing of DIY bracing and modifying. I actually really liked that cockpit, it was tube design, nothing super strong (maybe 20mm tubing) but it was really sturdy, looked good, had a place to mount my handbrake vertically (!) albeit a home made mount, and comfortable. The seat was MILES better than the GT Ultimate one from a comfort and practicality viewpoint (the Ultimate seat is HUGE, overly huge) and as the pedal deck was not adjustable it was a lot more secure!

Thinking back, that was a really nice cockpit for $600 AUD. Anything static (no motion) and mainstream hardware wise (Logitech, Thrustmaster, Fanatec) would suit very well with that one.

Can't wait to replace my GT 'Ultimate'..... !

Ha, it's waiting for stuff to arrive is the killer. Most kit I buy too comes from overseas too, so when it finally arrives I'm frantically pawing away at the box to reveal it's goodness.

The GT Ultimate seat is indeed a monster. That's the final thing I replaced from my old NL cockpit setup. The seat didn't overly bother me at the time, even with it's wobbly reclining mechanism and only occasionally considering a replacement. The prospect of figuring out how to mount another seat delayed this, which in end wasn't very complex at all. Now it's been swapped with a Sparco seat it is a very nice upgrade and I noticed a difference in the delivery of the motion which feels a little more solid than before.

Upvote 0
Definitely a better experience with a smaller seat. My Bride replica is awesome, it hugs me like a bucket is supposed to. Smaller to move around on the platform too means more information transferred to body rather than getting lost in all that empty space in the seat. The mount was a definite pain in the ass, but with the new rig coming, it should be fairly simple and as we have discussed I have a number of options to consider. All of which will work especially now that I've already done the heavy lifting with the drilling out of the holes on the platform base.

Upvote 0
Hi Furnace,

Yes speaking with someone over email I get that feeling that they will chop and change things to suit your needs, they already have done that for me in a way. Since it's 80/20 we're dealing with, customization is the name of the game! I might email them again and ask what it would cost for that extra piece to be added into the package. I like the thought of having the extra bracing there especially if I have both the shifter and the handbrake mounted to the side mount. I'll see what they can do.

Hi dot,

Are you buying the V3 as a stand alone product or with a cockpit bundled (like many of us started out with in the initial purchase)? A quick answer in relation to the Vive is that you need nothing special to use it with the platform. Many of us use the Oculus even without the built in VR compensation software that is in the V3 driver and software package. It works just great. I have my sensor mounted to an upright pole and that stays stationary, it is not connected to anything moving on the platform. From there you just use the Vive like normal.

If you are not buying the platform as a bundle then you will need a cockpit to use it with (most likely an 80/20 solution similar to the ones mentioned here) or find another turn key solution that is compatible with the V3 platform and how to mount it. Depending on your cockpit choice you may then need a seat as well as many cockpits ship without a seat. If you buy the Next Level GT2 cockpit is basically has everything you need for the V3, however many (including myself) would recommend against that option and if budget permits, we advise sourcing a more secure and sturdy alternative.
Thanks for the insight. Since Gtultimate v2 cockpit is no longer an option what alternatives are there that I can order within the US. When I surf the internet, I get so much noise from reviews which gets me confused. I'll be glad if you guys just point me in the right direction with a complete list that can fit my budget of 7-9K USD (Excluding the vive).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey fella,

Yeah the Vive and Next Level Motion work together just fine, there's no special requirements. Next Level doesn't sell a complete cockpit with the motion platform. You would need to buy the NL cockpit and motion platform and then put it together. It's not hard, but as much as I love my NL motion, I disliked the cockpit, it's not great.
Thanks for the insight. Since Gtultimate v2 cockpit is no longer an option what alternatives are there that I can order within the US. When I surf the internet, I get so much noise from reviews which gets me confused. I'll be glad if you guys just point me in the right direction with a complete list that can fit my budget of 7-9K USD (Excluding the vive).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As long as you don’t mind the looks of the aluminium rigs like some then any 80/20 rig will do you just fine and that budget is more than enough to get something solid and awesome.

The only question is what you want really, if noise is a factor, what you already have etc.

Upvote 0

An aluminium profile sim rig is the most practical in terms of function, it's more solid, adjustable and modifiable than any off the shelf sim rig. You have a big budget, which then I'd assume a direct drive wheel. And again aluminium profile is best option for a solid wheel. You can even find re-sellers on eBay and the general structure follows a pretty simple design. Also if you want to add the Next Level Motion, it's a straightforward operation.

https://sim-lab.eu/
http://www.jcl-simracing.com/en/
https://www.ebay.com/usr/4playracingusa?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

If on other hand if you prefer to have a regular turnkey sim rig like a GT Omega or an RSEAT, then you'll have a harder time attaching the Next Level Motion due to the basic design.

Upvote 0
@dotcode: I recently bought this NLR Motion v3 together with the GT Ultimate cockpit. I'm happy with this seat don't get me wrong but like all the others already wrote I agree that if I would start from scratch I would also buy a alumimiun 80/20 DIY or complete alu bundle set. If you e.g. want to buy the Rseat RS1 you can also buy an adapter kit for the NLR motion platform.

Also the period of gathering info, doing your research and 'stress' about making your right decision what to buy is a fun time. So enjoy!

Upvote 0
Hi!

First time poster here. Great thread, and you seem helpful people!
Has anyone mounted their NLM V3 in the Fanatec RennSport Cockpit V2?
And does anyone know if this will work with their Sparco Pro 2000 seat?

I found these adapters that might fit and make the whole thing plug and play:

• The NLM V3 including and adapter for the Fanatec Rennsport cockpit:
https://www.force2motion.de/Gaming-Seats-and-Rigs/category-7/product-2-82-124.html?language=en

• This adapter to attach to the Sparco Pro 2000 seat so it will bolt directly to the NLM V3:
https://www.force2motion.de/Gaming-Seats-and-Rigs/category-7/product-132.html

• This adapter to raise the Fanatec pedals in the cockpit so they align with the raised seat due to NLM V3 installment:
https://www.force2motion.de/Gaming-Seats-and-Rigs/category-9/force2motion-fanatec-pedal-lifter.html

I'm considering buying the NLM V3 as it seems the best solution for VR sim racing. I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks now and watching Youtube videos showing all kinds of sim racing movement. I went from going Buttkickers only to Seat Mover to Full Frame Mover, 3DOF, 4DOF, 5DOF, 6DOF, G-Seat... and now I've come back to the Seat Mover as I believe it will give me the highest resolution in VR. Feeling the track's surface is very important to me. Now I believe the best solution would still be a combination of all: a G-Seat with Buttkickers on a Seat Mover, with Buttkickers on all corners on a platform that's raised 6DOF, in VR, with motion compensation via SteamVR plugin and controller strapped to the seat. With the new Fanatec DD Podium with vibration in the steering wheel, and the new Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3 inverted with vibration in the pedals. With the new HTC Vive Pro.

Now that would be a sensory overload, and would need a lot of tuning before it could even make sense, but it would have potential to be king. Every component does compliment the other. But if you take only the 6DOF it seems rather dull and low-resolution, the same goes for only G-Seat.. etc.

Buut, if you could only choose one, I think the Seat Mover gives the most immersion with VR. Add a couple cheap Buttkickers and I think you got a nice ride, right?

So back to the Fanatec Rennsport Cockpit, I like the design, that's why, and it seems really sturdy. Otherwise I would have gone the 8020 route. Anybody using the Rennsport?

Thanks for you time!

Upvote 0
Some pictures of what I'm talking about:

• The Rennsport Cockpit:
rennsport_V2_1.png

rennsport_V2_2.jpg

• The NLM V3 with adapter for Fanatec Rennsport Cockpit:
NLMV2_Rennsport_1.jpg

NLMV2_Rennsport_2.jpg

• The adapter to attach the Sparco Pro 2000 to the NLM V3:
NLMV2_Sparco.png

• The adapter to raise the Fanatec pedals in the cockpit to match the seat:
Pedal_lifter_1.jpg

Pedal_lifter_2.jpg

Anybody familiar?

Upvote 0
Can't say that I've really seen this cockpit but I would always advise an 80 20 rig from now on with the experience I have had with my own cockpits. Buy once, never need to change again. Just add pieces and modulate as you need. With what you are mentioning in terms of hardware, you seem to not be worried too much about cash so investing in a high quality kit form 80 20 cockpit or even a similar DIY project would be my option. For instance my (and others) soon to arrive cockpit will house the V3 no problems and also a complete cockpit mover such as a DBox system in the the future with minimal fuss.

Upvote 0
Can't say that I've really seen this cockpit but I would always advise an 80 20 rig from now on with the experience I have had with my own cockpits. Buy once, never need to change again. Just add pieces and modulate as you need. With what you are mentioning in terms of hardware, you seem to not be worried too much about cash so investing in a high quality kit form 80 20 cockpit or even a similar DIY project would be my option. For instance my (and others) soon to arrive cockpit will house the V3 no problems and also a complete cockpit mover such as a DBox system in the the future with minimal fuss.
Yep - just ordered my Sim Lab P1 today.

Upvote 0
Hi!

First time poster here. Great thread, and you seem helpful people!
Has anyone mounted their NLM V3 in the Fanatec RennSport Cockpit V2?
And does anyone know if this will work with their Sparco Pro 2000 seat?

I found these adapters that might fit and make the whole thing plug and play:

• The NLM V3 including and adapter for the Fanatec Rennsport cockpit:
https://www.force2motion.de/Gaming-Seats-and-Rigs/category-7/product-2-82-124.html?language=en

• This adapter to attach to the Sparco Pro 2000 seat so it will bolt directly to the NLM V3:
https://www.force2motion.de/Gaming-Seats-and-Rigs/category-7/product-132.html

• This adapter to raise the Fanatec pedals in the cockpit so they align with the raised seat due to NLM V3 installment:
https://www.force2motion.de/Gaming-Seats-and-Rigs/category-9/force2motion-fanatec-pedal-lifter.html

I'm considering buying the NLM V3 as it seems the best solution for VR sim racing. I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks now and watching Youtube videos showing all kinds of sim racing movement. I went from going Buttkickers only to Seat Mover to Full Frame Mover, 3DOF, 4DOF, 5DOF, 6DOF, G-Seat... and now I've come back to the Seat Mover as I believe it will give me the highest resolution in VR. Feeling the track's surface is very important to me. Now I believe the best solution would still be a combination of all: a G-Seat with Buttkickers on a Seat Mover, with Buttkickers on all corners on a platform that's raised 6DOF, in VR, with motion compensation via SteamVR plugin and controller strapped to the seat. With the new Fanatec DD Podium with vibration in the steering wheel, and the new Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3 inverted with vibration in the pedals. With the new HTC Vive Pro.

Now that would be a sensory overload, and would need a lot of tuning before it could even make sense, but it would have potential to be king. Every component does compliment the other. But if you take only the 6DOF it seems rather dull and low-resolution, the same goes for only G-Seat.. etc.

Buut, if you could only choose one, I think the Seat Mover gives the most immersion with VR. Add a couple cheap Buttkickers and I think you got a nice ride, right?

So back to the Fanatec Rennsport Cockpit, I like the design, that's why, and it seems really sturdy. Otherwise I would have gone the 8020 route. Anybody using the Rennsport?

Thanks for you time!

Hi,

I have also been doing the reading for couple last months and I'm considering exactly the same options you have mentioned with additional traction loss thrown to the mix :).

So far I have rSeat N1 rig.

p4030028-jpg.244835

I have been putting lot of effort into tactile. So far I have 4x tactile units for seat and pedals (2x BK Advance + 2x TST239. I will be adding stereo for seat & pedals which is 4 more in the future.

Noise issue is my big concern, so I'm focusing on isolation a lot. It works great so far but I'm not sure how it will work with NLR V3.

I have found here this is how attachment to N1 looks like:

IMG_0532%202_zpstgelooge.jpg

From what I see, having tactile would be meaningful only when attached directly to the seat (upper part) to get some decent stereo separation. If attached below, most of the tactile would get muddled up together before going up through those three legs the seat is suspended on.

So my question would be:

1) Power

Do you think NLR V3 has enough power to carry additional stuff attached to the seat? This weight might be distributed further away from the center of mass, than just heavier driver sitting directly in the center.

I would want the seat carry:

a) 4 buttkickers

b) Mounting platform for peripheries - H-shifter and handbrake attached directly to the seat in order not to change position from them when moving a lot - I have quite short hands, so I need shifter really close by all the time. And for flying sims with joystick, I guess it would be necessity.

c) possibly G-Seat when new version comes out

I'm like 70 kg. Buttkickers and stuff might be 10 - 15 kg. Platforms for attachment of peripherals 10 kg. G-Seat - does anybody has idea? 30 kg?

Do you think NLR V3 could handle this without compromising its lifetime?

2) Changing distance to pedals & wheel

Do you think it is problem or no? Does it break the immersion?

3) Traction loss

Do you think it can handle traction loss? The traction loss could give the whole rig quite big lateral hits when changing directions suddenly or crashing, do you think it wouldn't hurt the NLR V3, especially with all the other stuff attached to the seat? It could be quite bit of additional force acting on the NLR v3 with some big lever.

This is all quite far away for me, but if anyone has some ideas about this, it could at least help me to decide if it is worth to consider NLR V3 with these additional considerations or if I should make it simpler :)

I wish the NLR V3 would have heave, maybe next version and it would be perfect :)

Upvote 0
1. I'm 85kg, My GS-4 with 2 mini LFE's and one big LFE weighs 40kg. That's a total of 125kg and i was in contact with Next level about the weight . 130kg limit is user (without seat)

No worries you will be fine.

Be carefull though with adding stuff that is a lot of center, this might impact perforance and durability.
Go for a steady stifter and handbrake on a shifter pole, the NLMv3 can large movements, but for simracing you only need short and fast ones.

You should have no problems with reaching the shifter when the seat is moving

2. Already answered this above. There's a slight variation in distance when seat is moving, but it's very small since you only need small movements while racing.

3. The NLMv3 has no traction loss, but i can swear that i can feel the back sliding. Other NLMv3 users have claimed the same. No sure if the forces of a tractionloss system will harm the NLMv3 over a longer period

Upvote 0
1. I'm 85kg, My GS-4 with 2 mini LFE's and one big LFE weighs 40kg. That's a total of 125kg and i was in contact with Next level about the weight . 130kg limit is user (without seat)

No worries you will be fine.

Be carefull though with adding stuff that is a lot of center, this might impact perforance and durability.
Go for a steady stifter and handbrake on a shifter pole, the NLMv3 can large movements, but for simracing you only need short and fast ones.

You should have no problems with reaching the shifter when the seat is moving

2. Already answered this above. There's a slight variation in distance when seat is moving, but it's very small since you only need small movements while racing.

3. The NLMv3 has no traction loss, but i can swear that i can feel the back sliding. Other NLMv3 users have claimed the same. No sure if the forces of a tractionloss system will harm the NLMv3 over a longer period

Thanks for the answer.

1. That's great, it should handle it just fine then.

2. As I have been observing driving in real life little bit more, I think in some cars more movement is present. Especially in my road car with soft suspension when going in sharp turns or going fast, the side tilt feels like 15 - 20 degrees and I have to really lean in against it on flat seat. If I would try to simulate this G-Force, I would probably want to have more movement in NLR V3. In that case I think I wouldn't be able to reach the shifter / handbrake.

I was thinking of using NLR V3 more for G-Force - turns and acceleration / deceleration, so having more travel in NLR V3 and somewhat slower response and have the tactile handle the feeling of small bumps / medium bumps quickly.

Is this reasoning valid or not? Does more travel in NLR V3 feel unrealistic even when paired with tactile?

Does the G-Seat compensate for better feeling of G-Forces when NLR V3 is set to lower travel and more responsive movement?

3. If I will go this way, I will try to contact directly NLR.

Sound interesting it tricks brain in feeling rear traction loss :) I have already set out on path of getting rear traction loss and I have some things ready, so I guess I will build it. It will be fun project but as I hear maybe not entirely necessary.

In the mean time I have found this - motion rig on top of rear traction loss :) looks pretty ridiculous, I didn't think this was possible :) it can even handle additional weight - another guy standing on top of it.

I guess this might be also good option for my setup. It sounds also pretty quiet from the video, bonus would be it would have heave, I'm not sure about speed, but it could be ok and tactile would cover for really small bumps. Movement of whole rig might be advantage, but some say, they feel just motion seat superior in some regards. Downside would be like double the price of NLR V3.

Upvote 0
I run Aura bass shakers attached to the bracket under the seat on the V3 and it seems to be fine but I haven't tried without it so I wouldn't know the difference. I plan on taking these off when my GT1 chassis gets here and mounting the shakers on the rear corners of the 80 20 profile either directly if hole pattern permits or with a mounting plate if needed. I think mounting under the pedals on the pedal tray profile should be pretty easy also but this has nothing to do with you. I would suggest not mixing rear traction loss DIY projects with the NLV3. It might feel worse than a set up that fully intends the traction loss module to be present. For what it's worth, I second the opinion of other users having feelings of the rear breaking loose with just the platform itself. I have a decent wheel (CSW V2.5) and this also helps with catching the rear. Any sim with decent FFB will allow you to catch slides regardless of motion or not, as long as you're running direct drive wheel or something as fast as the V2.5 like I am. My CSW V2 allowed the same speed to respond to slides.

Another point is that simulating a road car suspension doesn't really go well with a seat mover, or really, any motion platform. They are designed to give you motion cues, shifts in weight transfer and operate on movement not force. So increasing movement to simulate softer car suspension doesn't really compare that well as you don't really move in a car (your body anyway) it's more the softer and slower compression of springs and shocks that give you that floaty feeling. Which, if we are serious sim racers, we should be trying as much as possible to avoid :) Shorter, more subtle cues are definitely the way to go with a motion rig, especially with a seat only mover. You may be able to tune a little more to your liking with a D Box or similar system, but that's well above the price range of seat mover and probably something most of us would never experience.

Shorter movement cues also reduce the problem of reaching for shifter and pedals while driving especially in fast corners or under heavy acceleration of braking. It does feel uncomfortable when being pushed away from pedals in something like an F1 car down a straight and will be something you will need to tune out to get the balance right.

A seat mover on a stable sturdy rig coupled with a decent tactile setup is a great immersive experience. Especially when in VR when you tend to forget you're sitting on top of all this hardware that isn't a car. Shorter movements in VR are very convincing when you are submerged in the feeling of racing a car. For 10K (AUD) you should be able to achieve most of this provided you already have your wheel pedals shifter sorted out.

Upvote 0
Like Anton mentioned above, you only need short fast movements

You will know what we are talking as soon as you have tried the seat mover yourself. It not like that bigger movements produce high G-forces. If you want ultimate G-force simulation, by a used GS-4 (if you can find one) or wait for it's succesor

It als works the other way around. At one time i adjusted the profile for NoLimits 2, increasing speeds and reducing the movement distance. It felt all wrong.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea