Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

Beeing 2 DOF and with a need of extra $800 frame It is still 3 times more expensive than DOF Reality 2 DOF H2 . Also there are no seat options and bundle seat is huge and sorry crappy one. You cant use your own seat. And it doesn't move the wheel and pedals pates. and it is 2 times more expensive than DOF Reality 3 DOF H3 model.
What is the point of investing there?

The NLR V3 is a completely standalone product in its own right. That it can be used with a Next Level GT Ultimate rig is just a convenient bundled option. I attached mine to my Sim Labs 80/20 rig and mounted a Sparco race seat on runners to it with very little effort or fettling.

For what it is and regardless of the compromises and restrictions of its 2DOF, the V3 Motion and its really intuitive software is excellent value for money and the after-sales and ongoing developer support should be factored in to that as well because it is absolutely first class.

At the end of the day it's just good for us consumers that we have a few choices to enjoy effective motion / immersion without having to find the crazy sums of money that the higher-end stuff demands.

Upvote 0
Before buying the NLR Motion v3 I also did research to other solutions. Reason for buying a more expensive vs e.g. the mentioned platform is that in my opinion the NLR is a more consumer friendly end product. All in one box small form factor. Other platforms both seat and full movers often still look in a kind of Technical University trial and error project. Which does not say it is not good.
After sales support looks me that NLR has to offer a complete package.
Also it looks like but I could be wrong (?) that the DOF does not support Pcars2. That's besides AC the sims I like to virtually race.

Company website presentation, the reviews done by experts and finally the adoption/installed base --> in other words 'marketing' also convinced me to choose for NLR. Do not know if true but it felt more reliable and a kind of 'we are here to stay' approach.

Luckily we as customers can choose between different good solutions. One likes BMW, another one Audi and we also have Mercedes buyers and we will never admit the other is better ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The NLR V3 is a completely standalone product in its own right. That it can be used with a Next Level GT Ultimate rig is just a convenient bundled option. I attached mine to my Sim Labs 80/20 rig and mounted a Sparco race seat on runners to it with very little effort or fettling.
How did you achieve this? Sim Labs show some L-brackets but admit that it's not an ideal solution.

Upvote 0
How did you achieve this? Sim Labs show some L-brackets but admit that it's not an ideal solution.

IMG_20180106_130220.jpg

Here's how I mounted it to my 80/20 rig. It's a Sim-lab rig too.

Upvote 0

Hi,

See pics below. Used the following to mount.
  • 6 x M8 x 50mm stainless Allen bolt (There is plenty of thread length inside the platform and I wanted as much purchase as possible to support the weight)
  • 6 x M8 stainless steel washer (Makes ‘forward and back’ adjustments of the platform much easier if the mounting bolt on the vertical plane is set in the middle of the bracket as it leaves the bottom bolt head clear to loosen / tighten if required)
  • 6 x M8 x 20mm stainless steel spacers
Perfect fit and very secure based on the P1’s internal width of 500mm and the platform width of 460mm.

Only thing to be aware of is that this mounts the platform and seat quite high, especially in relation to pedal position so I raised the latter slightly using additional profile albeit that's personal preference and you might be fine with the default set up. Steering wheel position is fine for me as mounting bracket is adjustable up and down by a fair amount.

In an ideal world though I would have liked to have mounted the unit inside the rig, like Jerry has, in order to create a lower seating position. However with the P1 there isn't much internal width to play with, after you factor in the width of the platform and I haven't bothered to look at potential solutions since initial assembly as I'm used to it now.

Hope the info helps but fire over any further questions if you have them.

attachment

attachment

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

See pics below. Used the following to mount.
  • 6 x M8 x 50mm stainless Allen bolt (There is plenty of thread length inside the platform and I wanted as much purchase as possible to support the weight)
  • 6 x M8 stainless steel washer (Makes ‘forward and back’ adjustments of the platform much easier if the mounting bolt on the vertical plane is set in the middle of the bracket as it leaves the bottom bolt head clear to loosen / tighten if required.
  • 6 x M8 x 20mm stainless steel spacers
Perfect fit and very secure based on the P1’s internal width of 500mm and the platform width of 460mm.

Only thing to be aware of is that this mounts the platform and seat quite high, especially in relation to pedal position so I raised the latter slightly using additional profile albeit that's personal preference and you might be fine with the default set up. Steering wheel position is fine for me as mounting bracket is adjustable up and down by a fair amount.

In an ideal world though I would have liked to have mounted the unit inside the rig to create a lower seating position and I'm sure that's possible with a bit of thought, albeit there isn't much room to play with. However I haven't bothered since assembly and I'm used to it now.

Hope the info helps but fire over any further questions if you have them.

attachment

attachment
That's brilliant - thanks!

Upvote 0
In an ideal world though I would have liked to have mounted the unit inside the rig, like Jerry has, in order to create a lower seating position. However with the P1 there isn't much internal width to play with, after you factor in the width of the platform and I haven't bothered to look at potential solutions since initial assembly as I'm used to it now.

Hi again guys!

So with what Steve said, it's weird because that mount looks to be more inside the cockpit than Jeremy's unless I am missing something. With Steve's solution, the spacers allow you to mount directly to the side channel mount along the cockpit, whereas Jeremy has the more 'standard' (from the pics of the cockpit on the website) way of using all the kit that comes with the cockpit. Which is the extra profile attached and raised ABOVE the side channel. I guess in the end if you measure from the ground up I'd hazard a guess that they are relatively the same. The P1 has the wider (higher) side channels but the GT1 has the additional seat frame mount that raises it above the slightly narrower side channels. If you used Steve's solution on the Jeremy's rig, I think you would achieve lowest position of all, provided then that the unit actually clears the floor once dropped in the rig.

Another thing to consider is that the P1 seems to have less pedal height adjustment than the GT1 (probably the main reason I went GT1 other than price and shipping weight). Which makes a higher seat less of a concern for a shorter driver (me).

Sorry to ramble, I am thinking out loud and hoping others can chime in. Either way, I am pretty confident that I can get it mounted successfully with the help of all these lovely solutions!

Upvote 0
Hi Anton,

Firstly, nice choice mate! About time! :) You will love it.

Secondly, you are probably absolutely right with regards how similar the platform / seat position ends up based on the different solutions @Jeremy Ford and I have come up with. Also to note from my side is that I added a seat slider to which I mounted side-mount brackets and that pushed my seat height up a bit as well. However I sorted this at the pedal deck end and you have that adjustment as well.

However I would have mounted the V3 a little lower down internally if there had been 80mm more internal width to the P1, (it's only 500mm), which would have allowed me to fix a couple of pieces of 40mm x 40mm profile against which I would have mounted the V3. That would have allowed me to lower everything by 40mm. However, had I been able to achieve that I would not have needed to use the horizontal profile / seat platform upon which Jerry has fixed his taller side-mounting profile and which makes accurate adjustment to fit the width of the V3 possible in his case.

Where the GT1 is concerned I see the width is quoted as 680mm, which probably means internal width is 600mm. IF that's accurate, you have plenty to play with and Jerry's solution would appear to be the best one all round on the basis that V3 width (460mm) + Profile width (2x40mm) is 540mm, which leaves a 60mm gap, (Effectively 30mm each side). Jerry's solution would allow you to bridge that, or any gap, perfectly.

Great thing about 80/20 though mate is that you can always consider other options and experiment!!

So don't sweat it. :)

Finally are Sim Labs supplying you with additional profile and a sufficient length that you can cut in to a couple of pieces? If I'm right, (and maybe @Jeremy Ford can confirm), Jerry's side mounts look like the taller 80mm x 40mm profile, (check this), which he's mounted the platform to and it's the height that gives him the clearance to the frame underneath.

All the best.

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Steve,

Great info, will definitely help me on my first 80/20 adventure! Here is a pic of the rig in its current form (GT1 cockpit) from the website, which I would assume is what I can expect to receive, as displayed.
Wheeldeck-V5-14-e1514013618253.jpg

It looks like it has everything that Jeremy's has in terms of seat mount material. The only difference I see is that you are correct in saying his is 80mm profile where displayed it's 40mm profile. I am going to measure the total length of the unit now, and hopefully the drawings and manual available online at Sim-lab website have measurements on them. This will allow me to confirm if it's possible to stick with the 40mm profile and drop the unit in-between everything or if I will hit a snag somewhere and need to boost the platform further as you mentioned. The other solution is to use your method which would basically require 30mm spacers and the removal of most of that seat mount frame. I am not sure if 30mm spacers are pushing it for rigidity and strength in holding the platform but it's another thing to think about for me.

Side note, I received an email reply from Sim-labs and they are happy to throw in what I have asked for which is awesome. I might need to go the extra step and see if I can swindle 80mm profile instead of the 40mm that's supplied but I will measure now and check if that's necessary. I may not even use the extra's I've asked for as I know that if I keep my seat slider on, the solution that Jeremy has used to circumvent the slight hole distance from platform seat mount to seat will not be needed. This is because I have already sorted that by drilling out the existing holes on the platform seat mount plate to accommodate the seat slider. My current rig goes platform > seat slider, seat slider > seat. But I wanted to maybe ditch the slider completely for more rigidity as I don't need the adjustment with the 80/20 rig of course because my new rig is 80/20! Will report back with findings in a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My mount is indeed 80mm x 40mm (these weren't included, I bought these later from a supplier), but 40mm x 40mm would work too. As my rig is raised by feet I'd still have clearance. Or just push those width-spanning struts up to the higher position. Now it's on my mind I can imagine a couple of other ways I could have mounted this.

Anton, I see you're concern is that the NLM platform raises the seat too much over a plain seat the rig is designed for. Really it's not a problem with the GT1 design, they've included enough play all round which for both pedals and wheel deck so you can compensate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So Jeremy looking at the photo, the seat mount has exactly (from what I see) what yours has but only 40mm profile running the length of the cockpit, not 80mm. Would I still have enough bottom clearance to mount the platform to the current 40mm profile with the extra brackets (like yours) that I ordered? Or would I need 80mm? I measured the distance from a drawing on the website in-between the profile that runs ACROSS the rig on the seat mount, and it's 340mm space inside the profile. The length of the platform itself needs around 370mm to drop in-between these cross members . That is, if the platform is too deep to sit above anything it doesn't drop inside of. Sounds really confusing but in other words, would I hit anything bottoming out wise if I just used the standard 40mm profile they supply (with my extra mounting brackets) or if there room for the platform to happily sit above everything and still have the holes match up?

Hopefully that jibber jabber makes sense..... :/ See this pic, it's what I have sent them asking to check clearance and maybe getting them to change the 40mm profile for me to 80mm only if required. I'm a cheeky bastard but I run a business and I know people love something a little extra for nothing!

pic.png

Upvote 0
40mm x 40mm would work. My method was merely what I figured at the time, my thought process was replacing something resembling the side panels that came with the platform but it certainly isn't the only way to mount this on the the GT1.

I think those struts will be 400mm. You can work this out based on the picture of the GT1 displaying the Sim-Lab bucket seat bracket. The bucket seat bracket is 365mm. The front end of the NLM gives you a bit of room too with it's angle, so that's enough clearance.

upload_2018-3-28_12-14-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-28_12-13-53.png
    upload_2018-3-28_12-13-53.png
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0
Hi Steve,

The other solution is to use your method which would basically require 30mm spacers and the removal of most of that seat mount frame. I am not sure if 30mm spacers are pushing it for rigidity and strength in holding the platform but it's another thing to think about for me.

I did think this might be another mounting option without the frame underneath and thus be similar to my solution, albeit internally. 30mm stand offs should be okay as the load is spread nicely between the three mounting points on each side of the V3 and there is plenty of thread depth. However if you go this route then consider using M8 x 60mm bolts minimum, (I used 50mm), so that you wind as much thread in to the platform as possible. You might even be able to get more in but I'm unsure at what point the internal thread on the V3 bottoms out and tightening becomes an issue.

Also to note is that if internal fitment is very tight, once you drop everything in, (and it should be based on 460mm+40mm+40mm+30mm+30mm=600mm), there should still be enough play, (2mm-3mm), in terms of the backwards movement of the slotted, right-angled connectors before the internal surfaces get in the way. FWIW I also placed a heavy duty, high-compression washer between spacer and surface of the V3 to protect it and that took up a mm or two . Alternatively you could consider going for a slightly narrower spacer, say 25mm, to give you a little more room to work with, because you could then move the brackets towards the sides of the motion platform to close any remaining gap and get a nice snug fit and / or or pack with an additional M8 steel washer between connector and spacer.

However, before complicating anything I would entirely echo Jeremy's comment above and below albeit I understand that aesthetics might be important! ;)

Anton, I see you're concern is that the NLM platform raises the seat too much over a plain seat the rig is designed for. Really it's not a problem with the GT1 design, they've included enough play all round which for both pedals and wheel deck so you can compensate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been speaking with Darko at Sim-labs tonight and he can confirm these dimensions below. These new dimensions pretty much eliminate the spacer method (though it remains an option should I choose to add the hardware required to do it that way). They have changed slightly from the diagrams provided on the downloads page and suit out set up perfectly:

gt1-new-dims[2174].jpg

The distance where the platform would sit now has over 400mm of clearance which is way more than needed and will provide no issues with the space below the 40mm mounting profile that the brackets slot into. With Jeremy saying that the 40mm profile will be high enough even with the old dimensions (less clearance than the platform requires at the bottom side of the frame) then I think we have everything we need here to make this work out of the box. i am getting 2 x 30x30mm profile pieces @ 500mm length as a bonus just in case I decide to completely remove all hardware attached to the seat as it is now (NL mounting frame and seat slider) so I can use Jeremy's method basically exactly as he has it (minus the 80mm profile in exchange for the standard supplied 40mm). I may just choose to mount the platform exactly as it is now (seat and all completely as one unit and just mount it on the brackets without changing anything). I will decide when I put it all together.

Nonetheless, I should have all the bits I need to get it sorted and a number of solutions to choose from so really looking forward to receiving it! Thanks all so much for the input. Will obviously keep posting in the discussion before and after the cockpit makes it here.

Upvote 0
Yeah all good points boys. I think I have it sorted. The new dimensions I have received have given me confidence that it should be 100% OK the way I am anticipating mounting it all.

Excited! :)

Edit: also worth noting is that on the pedal deck there are 3 horizontal profile pieces. I have Fanatec V3 pedals so mounting holes front and rear of the pedal bottom plate, negating the need to leave the middle profile length in there (unless I am missing something). I am going to (try) remove that piece and mount it vertically at the rear of the shifter mount, connecting it to the bottom frame. The P1 has this as standard, but I noticed that the GT1 leaves this piece off most likely to save on cost. If I can use that piece from the pedal mount to brace the shifter mount, I'd be almost to a P1 level rig minus the extra wide profile bottom frame.

Upvote 0
Yeah all good points boys. I think I have it sorted. The new dimensions I have received have given me confidence that it should be 100% OK the way I am anticipating mounting it all.

Excited! :)

Edit: also worth noting is that on the pedal deck there are 3 horizontal profile pieces. I have Fanatec V3 pedals so mounting holes front and rear of the pedal bottom plate, negating the need to leave the middle profile length in there (unless I am missing something). I am going to (try) remove that piece and mount it vertically at the rear of the shifter mount, connecting it to the bottom frame. The P1 has this as standard, but I noticed that the GT1 leaves this piece off most likely to save on cost. If I can use that piece from the pedal mount to brace the shifter mount, I'd be almost to a P1 level rig minus the extra wide profile bottom frame.
They do offer customisation if you ask, the guys are great with anything like that.

You could have a P1 with the GT1 pedal deck for a little extra over standard cost or a GT1 with a P1 like side mount with the extra sandwich plate, profile and corner brackets which again wouldn’t be much more like €25 tops.

Upvote 0
Can anyone help me please. I want to setup the next level motion platform v3 with HTC vive but could not find any guideline on how to go about it. I need to know the list of items I have to buy to setup the Next level motion platform because I couldn't find any complete package.

Upvote 0
Hi Furnace,

Yes speaking with someone over email I get that feeling that they will chop and change things to suit your needs, they already have done that for me in a way. Since it's 80/20 we're dealing with, customization is the name of the game! I might email them again and ask what it would cost for that extra piece to be added into the package. I like the thought of having the extra bracing there especially if I have both the shifter and the handbrake mounted to the side mount. I'll see what they can do.

Can anyone help me please. I want to setup the next level motion platform v3 with HTC vive but could not find any guideline on how to go about it. I need to know the list of items I have to buy to setup the Next level motion platform because I couldn't find any complete package.

Hi dot,

Are you buying the V3 as a stand alone product or with a cockpit bundled (like many of us started out with in the initial purchase)? A quick answer in relation to the Vive is that you need nothing special to use it with the platform. Many of us use the Oculus even without the built in VR compensation software that is in the V3 driver and software package. It works just great. I have my sensor mounted to an upright pole and that stays stationary, it is not connected to anything moving on the platform. From there you just use the Vive like normal.

If you are not buying the platform as a bundle then you will need a cockpit to use it with (most likely an 80/20 solution similar to the ones mentioned here) or find another turn key solution that is compatible with the V3 platform and how to mount it. Depending on your cockpit choice you may then need a seat as well as many cockpits ship without a seat. If you buy the Next Level GT2 cockpit is basically has everything you need for the V3, however many (including myself) would recommend against that option and if budget permits, we advise sourcing a more secure and sturdy alternative.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back