Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

Hey mate,

I am an owner of the V3 platform, absolutely love it. There are a few others in here that also own it and they have had nothing but good things to say about it also. For the price, there is very little that comes close to it. In terms of looks and neatness I think it's probably the best you can do. Not that I know a massive amount about every motion rig that's available, but mine is on display in the first room you see when you walk into my house, and it's not an eyesore in the slightest. It actually looks pretty cool, with the triples mounted with the hood that I've constructed for it. The sensation it creates is actually very good for the limited 2 DOF it provides, and traction loss is simulated via the software pretty convincingly.

I would highly recommend it to anyone that spends a decent amount of time in their rig. I have VR on the way so will be looking forward to testing that out over the coming week. I have heard that motion + VR is just awesome. Which obviously can't be hard to imagine.

Upvote 0
I bought a next level motion V3 a couple of months ago and i'm pretty happy with it. I also have very limited space.. Motion combined with VR is awesome. The software is easy to use, but it's not as detailed as simcommander 4 from simXperience.

The unit is super quiet, which is great for those nightly races.

The VR-motion compensation doesn't work for me though. Maybe i haven't set it up right, but as soon as i activate it the whole ingame image feels strange and is not smooth at all any more.

Upvote 0
I wonder what happened with that. Blanes has VR with this platform and doesn't have a problem with it. Project Immersion on Youtube also has this platform and has found the compensation very good for it. I'll give some feedback when I get my unit. I have a 1080 Ti on the way as well, so I should have the best hardware to test it all out with. Upping from a 1080. I am just wondering if the placement of the sensor that I have in mind will be sufficient. It says that you can place it below head level if there is not space above your head, which is what I am planning on doing. Basically in the gear shifter position but on the left as the actual gear shifter is on the right. I have a hood on my triples set up and cannot mount the sensor to the top of them. Also, the monitors slightly wobble while driving, not enough to notice but the sensor may not like that. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I am just wondering if the placement of the sensor that I have in mind will be sufficient. It says that you can place it below head level if there is not space above your head, which is what I am planning on doing. Also, the monitors slightly wobble while driving, not enough to notice but the sensor may not like that. Any suggestions?

Which VR are you getting? I'm assuming Rift as you just mention one sensor. If it is the Rift you can place the sensor above or below head height and they also tilt. The sensors work well and have a good wide angle, they don't need to be in the centre in front of you and the setup guide in Oculus and Steam is super easy to use. The good thing with Rift is you need very little space for the driving sims too.

Upvote 0
I'm a Next Level motion ower. The motion platform is amazing, if you can justify the cost then you won't be disappointed. The Next Next Level cockpit isn't so great, a lot of flex in the pedal base and wheel mount. I started out with the Next Level GTUltimate, hated it. Mounted the Next Level motion on a 80/20 rig, so much better.

Using VR too, haven't noticed a problem with using motion and VR. I'm not even using the VR settings in the motion software.

Upvote 0
Which VR are you getting? I'm assuming Rift as you just mention one sensor. If it is the Rift you can place the sensor above or below head height and they also tilt. The sensors work well and have a good wide angle, they don't need to be in the centre in front of you and the setup guide in Oculus and Steam is super easy to use. The good thing with Rift is you need very little space for the driving sims too.

Yeah I have the Rift on the way. Been looking around the net for some set up guides to see where various people have their sensors. I will definitely try to have it beneath me. Even mounting it on the ceiling would be a problem because of the angle of my hood for the monitors. I intend on keeping these things at least in the short term, and also I am not sure how long I can use the Rift for at any given time. May have to race competitively on the screens in future.

So basically the sensor for me would be around half a meter (between 1 and 2 feet) off center, and around navel height when seated in my seat. I would be able to touch it if I reached out. I am hoping this doesn't prove a problem. The great thing about this also is that it will be completely independent of the rig. With transducers, and the motion platform going, this is probably the best thing for it. Completely stable, no movement. Hopefully the line of sight is sufficient.

Upvote 0
I wonder what happened with that. Blanes has VR with this platform and doesn't have a problem with it. Project Immersion on Youtube also has this platform and has found the compensation very good for it. I'll give some feedback when I get my unit. I have a 1080 Ti on the way as well, so I should have the best hardware to test it all out with. Upping from a 1080. I am just wondering if the placement of the sensor that I have in mind will be sufficient. It says that you can place it below head level if there is not space above your head, which is what I am planning on doing. Basically in the gear shifter position but on the left as the actual gear shifter is on the right. I have a hood on my triples set up and cannot mount the sensor to the top of them. Also, the monitors slightly wobble while driving, not enough to notice but the sensor may not like that. Any suggestions?

Blanes is not using VR compensation either. I'm not realy missing it. Since i have set the unit up that it has relative small movements, i have no trouble using the NLMv3 in VR.

Automatically i already compensate keeping my head steady when the seat moves. The latest update should have improvements in the motion compensation software, but i haven't tried it yet.

The software now also support tactile feedback with up to 8 buttkickers, but i prefer simvibe.

I would like to hear your feedback on VR compensation when you have it set up.

Upvote 0
I intend on keeping these things at least in the short term, and also I am not sure how long I can use the Rift for at any given time. May have to race competitively on the screens in future.

Most people grow VR legs. iRacing was always ok for me but DCS made me feel really queasy after a few minutes. These days I can 'fly' in VR on DCS for hours without any problems what so ever.

Upvote 0
Most people grow VR legs. iRacing was always ok for me but DCS made me feel really queasy after a few minutes. These days I can 'fly' in VR on DCS for hours without any problems what so ever.

You should have some idea already if you're susceptible to motion sickness, VR can trigger it the same way, and some game types are more so than others. I have no problem with sim racing, I think the added physical movement of the seat helps tremendously.

Upvote 0
You should have some idea already if you're susceptible to motion sickness, VR can trigger it the same way, and some game types are more so than others. I have no problem with sim racing, I think the added physical movement of the seat helps tremendously.
I mean I get EXTREMELY sick when I try to use a phone screen in a car. I had loads of people use my VR setup for racing and other games. Some have no feeling others can't do 2mins in it. It is quite a strange phenomenon.

Upvote 0
I mean I get EXTREMELY sick when I try to use a phone screen in a car. I had loads of people use my VR setup for racing and other games. Some have no feeling others can't do 2mins in it. It is quite a strange phenomenon.

I can't read as a car passenger either, within 30 seconds I started feeling queasy. Sim racing is replicating the driving experience so it's already familiar, that may help people adjust. Room scale smooth location can get me feeling sick within an hour as skating movement is unnatural.

Upvote 0
I am in the group of people that laugh (not really) at the thought of people getting motion sick, sea sick, etc. I have never had this in my life, and after a short evening of Rift usage for the first time (with motion and without) I think I can safely say that I barely need any breaking in at all. Seems fine to me. Tested out Finland in Dirt Rally, so I guess you can say I don't really have a fear of it AT ALL. Have just set up the motion compensation for the V3 now so after I mess with sensor placement a little (my arms keep cutting the line of sight off where I have it currently...) I will jump into full motion and test out the various options.

Quick question. I have mounted the sensor just above my head with some Velcro onto the hood I have for my triples. Monitor stand is directly attached to the rig, which slightly wobbles while in use. How bad is it for the sensor to NOT be completely still and motionless? I am going to run a few tests now and see if I can notice any movement if I wobble the rig slightly. I am not sure how sensitive the sensor is to vibration and such. My rig is a right pain in the ass to mount a sensor ANYWHERE, and outside of it, a lot of lines of sight are cut off by various objects. Trying to find a happy compromise before I build a custom stand for it that clears my monitor hood. It's also very close, around half a meter or so, but it works and seems to not be a problem. Is there a degree of how well the sensor and image is depending on where it is, or is it just a 'it either works or it doesn't' type thing, like an on/off switch. Interesting to hear some thoughts.

Upvote 0
Ok so sensor is a real bastard with this set up I have but I think I found a decent solution without dismantling my triples set up. Can confirm that the VR motion compensation is a little weird. Had it on for a run in between 2 runs without it and it just felt off. Judder, not sure if it was also because I was dipping below 90 but the other 2 runs had similar settings and seemed fine. I feel like if you don't use it, you're not hurting yourself in any way. As others have said, your head pretty much stays still while your body is being moved around. Your head is not flopping all over the place. Will test more, but I think that lock to horizon is also needed in VR whereas I hate it in triples.

Upvote 0
AntoN_Chez
Hi friend, why not spend the money and get the motion controllers (Robo Recall) is awesome fun as are many other titles and as you know the controllers come with the extra sensor. Wall stands are not much use if you need to do cockpit VR and then move to another room area for different games and VR experiences. (I've assumed your using Oculus apologies if not)

Place 2 Sensors at each side of your triples. Also easily moved for (freestanding play)
Possibly a microphonee stand (with round base) or similar? Camera stands too are used by some but many of these have more intrusive triple legs that might get in the way.

Point being, of course, to have the sensors free from any vibrations and easily positioned. You've invested this much, I don't think a little more is out of your reach, eh?

Hope your well, would love to have you or others do a report or thread as a mini overview to how this motion platform has performed and your own opinions (after the initial new toy syndrome) and excitement has settled.

Owners, more pictures, or videos please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Using VR too, haven't noticed a problem with using motion and VR. I'm not even using the VR settings in the motion software.
I have the V3 and I use the rift with it. It's amazing. I found that installing the VR compensation adversely affected the rift in every other game (it introduced a small, but still noticeable lag). I have not found any issues playing games like Dirt Rally without VR compensation, so I rolled back the PC to a point before installing it.

With the motion seat, I can no longer use my cludgy technique of nudging other cars as I navigate tight corners. If I do it with the motion seat enabled, I feel like I'm going to get thrown to the other side of the room ;-)

One thing is for sure, I can never go back to VR racing without the extra immersion that the seat provides. In fact, I now get instant nausea if I attempt a rally race with only the Rift (and not the seat).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the V3 and I use the rift with it. It's amazing. I found that installing the VR compensation adversely affected the rift in every other game (it introduced a small, but still noticeable lag). I have not found any issues playing games like Dirt Rally without VR compensation, so I rolled back the PC to a point before installing it.

With the motion seat, I can no longer use my cludgy technique of nudging other cars as I navigate tight corners. If I do it with the motion seat enabled, I feel like I'm going to get thrown to the other side of the room ;-)

One thing is for sure, I can never go back to VR racing without the extra immersion that the seat provides. In fact, I now get instant nausea if I attempt a rally race with only the Rift (and not the seat).

Haha, I agree you definitely try harder to avoid destruction derby manoeuvres with motion and the threat of being punished by your seat. The seat mover did help with motion sickness for me too, but it's something many people can overcome by perseverance. I also play room scale VR games and in the past smooth locomotion would make me a little dizzy, but over time I've got used to it.

Upvote 0
It's great to hear from other motion seat users. After enquiring, Pagnian said there is no dedicated forum where owners can share settings etc. It looks like this thread is the nearest thing.

Let me begin by sharing my Dirt rally settings. I am still in "tweak mode" (are we ever NOT in tweak mode?).

I have found that I need a surge setting of 2.0 when driving the mini (I need more feeling of acceleration / deceleration, gear change) with bumps on .80 and overall on .90.

With these settings I swear I can "feel" the tail swing out as I round the corners and jumps feel quite realistic. There seems to be a lack of general, "tiny" bumps (like stones) tho. This will require some more tweaking.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back