Assetto Corsa: Steam Pre-Order Price 40-45 Euro

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously the core track mesh would be the same in all versions , you would just lock to lower resolution textures or something along those lines for the "free" version of the DLC.

The key is so that people that buy the DLC are still just as likely to find full servers to race on with that DLC or for public servers to run that DLC in the track cycle.

Interesting discussion in this thread. Had some further thoughts on this:
Presumably Steam (or AC's multiplayer in general) can be used to share liveries without the player having to do anything - it'll just see who else is on a multiplayer server and take a copy of everyone's livery as you join (or maybe load them in the background, and swap them in once they're available).

If you have a low-detail version of the track, that makes it an easier download for multiplayer - anyone who joins the server can download it, which works for both user made and official DLC addons. Getting the full-res realistic version is nice, but it's secondary to the ability to join any public race and have an idea who else is racing.

If you're willing to accept DRM, you could have it set up so a server's only allowed to host DLC they own - but you can join any server you want, and get the low-res version of the track and vehicles regardless whether you're allowed to use them yourself. Then if someone sees a track or car they like, they can buy it and get full access. If you don't own the DLC, you can't take a track offline and find the ideal line, or whatever other single-player features there are.

I've never played a game on Steam that allowed usermade content - anyone know how that sort of addon works? Can you set an 'official' version of the mod and require it in multiplayer?

I don't see why there are concerns about dlc and how that affects population of servers. You are all sim enthusiasts so if you can afford the £40-£45 price for the game then add-ons shouldn't be a problem, as there will be plenty of leagues to participate in. I wonder if there will be some kind of season pass though and what it may include.

This separating of the community people are talking about....

Let's not forget one thing: only about 5% of the buyers of a simrace game go online (see the presentation of Kunos on youtube, exact number I don't recall).

Kunos doesnt build a game for only this 5%. The dlc also is for the other 95% of the gamers who like to play offline. This group surely doesn't get 'fragmented' by offering a dlc....

Commonly everybody tends to justify for themselves spend even though where it's quite illogical or irrational decision.

Well, supposing you were a enthusiasts of any game you like, and facing a choose that you can decide for yourself what you want to pick up, and it's however not contents about what you love, racing, it's just texture pack, but you bought and you'd think what you did, that why I should pay for something else beside things I like. What's the purpose of the goods? making money? This is never enough to persuade people, especially people like enthusiasts of anything. Paying for just high res texture would be perfect businesss model for being madly criticized.

Let's not forget one thing: only about 5% of the buyers of a simrace game go online (see the presentation of Kunos on youtube, exact number I don't recall).

Kunos doesnt build a game for only this 5%. The dlc also is for the other 95% of the gamers who like to play offline. This group surely doesn't get 'fragmented' by offering a dlc....

One of the good things about DLC is the fact that it keeps the game fresh over a much longer period of time for offline players.
Chronus made a good point
"I'd say 3 factors may determine how many will buy into DLC offerings:
- cost
- personal preference (not everybody likes Muscle Cars, for instance, not everyone likes Prototypes, etc)
- being in a league or wanting to be in one"

I bought so many of the Forza car packs because they managed to include content in each pack I wanted and was willing to pay for. They got points 1 & 2 just right for me.
I think if you're an offline player then good DLC really helps keep the game alive.

Tim Ling said"Not being funny, but this thread has become 10 pages of pointless arguments & trolling." I think the thread is developing into a interesting discussion and the trolling is fading. I'm also sure the mods will be keeping an eye on it.;)

I guess it all depends on how you value your money. A friend of mine bought a shirt for £100 which I would never do. £20-30 shirts do me fine. But then that same friend takes photos on his £100-something point and shoot camera, whereas I have a £1000 DSLR. The thing is, I would never pay the £100's of pounds for the iRacing experience, when I think I can get something very similar for a fraction of that cost. Personal choices, and how you value money. Being able to afford stuff and justifying its expense aren't the same thing.

In terms of fragmenting the community, well RACE07 did that pretty well. I actually bought most of the content for that, but only when it got dirt cheap. The problem was again, no servers ran the content, so the people that bought it lose out and those that didn't lose also. Again, most of this comes from an online gaming standpoint.

I would prefer it if instead of DLC packs, it was an "expansion". So 6-12 months after release, a proper expansion is released - at 2/3rds the price of the main game. If DLC is the way to go, then I would hope that there would be some free content at some point to "thank" the loyal supporters who have actually purchased the game. This also serves as a determent for pirates as with each patch / DLC, should require the game to authenticate, so the free DLC would be a thankyou for those who actually support the studio and don't pirate games.

Hang on a minute are you saying that there will be low res and high res versions of the same track, and the high res one will be part of DLC?

Oh please :)

On a website there are two different sections..

1) An article based on facts.
2) A comment section with opinions,

If the part with facts there isn't a single mention about HD textures, so you can classify it as a possible idea somebody came up with in the comments.

Your right its not an issue for single player , but it is a fundamental issue for multi-player.

The multi-player aspect of games and social element can be a big driver in sales , I also doubt that AC's single player will offer the depth of a traditional single player game (maybe it will) and so a large focus will naturally fall onto on-line play.

One of the reasons why allot of driving simulators will typically have had more offline play than on line play is because the on-line has been a total mess in content, server consistency and set-up. Not because people inherently don't want to drive against other real people.

Hang on a minute are you saying that there will be low res and high res versions of the same track, and the high res one will be part of DLC?

No it was just a single example of how DLC could be deliver as to allow konus to monetise the game into the future without fragmenting multi-player and perhaps enticing users to pay for DLC that would not otherwise buy into a "car Game"

Another way could be to only be able to do single player missions with DLC content if you own it but to still allow access in multi player , There are many approaches that are possible. I'm sure konus have thought about it and will have decided on what suites them best.

I don't see why there are concerns about dlc and how that affects population of servers. You are all sim enthusiasts so if you can afford the £40-£45 price for the game then add-ons shouldn't be a problem, as there will be plenty of leagues to participate in. I wonder if there will be some kind of season pass though and what it may include.

Most people that understand what AC is likely to represent, in terms of simulation quality and know about kunos as a developer wont have a real issue with the price. But its important to remember that those within the "sim-race community" represent a fraction of the market. Most people will be confused by the games name alone , thankfully the game has some very well known brands so that should gain it some leverage in the eyes of people that don't know what a tire model is.

To be clear I see myself buying all the DLC regardless of how its delivered I'm just well aware of the pitfalls of the standard DLC model even more so with a product that's quite niche but trying to brake into a wider market.

i racing to me is certainly the best example of how devastating content division between users can be though i racing have compounded the issue with there pricing structure :)

Oh please :)

On a website there are two different sections..

1) An article based on facts.
2) A comment section with opinions,

If the part with facts there isn't a single mention about HD textures, so you can classify it as a possible idea somebody came up with in the comments.

I've seen worse decisions made by some games in general. THQ stripped out a difficulty mode from the base game and sold that as a pre-order incentive for Metro Last Light. That's right a difficulty mode!!!

We love cars and driving since we were children and that we continue being adult

I reminder spending 65€ for a basic joystick to play indycar racing from papyrus. A nice budget when we are children.

I spend around 5000$ for 80h /years in tires just for the pleasure of driving on circuits with club members.

From what I tried previously to present, AC have One of the most convincing tire model.

At the physical level, it really is not bad, the same caliber as other good simulators, even higher.

There are many car games, but very few professional simulators.

This team of developer comes close a little more every day.

To appreciate this kind of work it takes 3DOF scn6, and leo bodnar.
let's say at least 6000-8000 $ of hardware.

We can not all afford such budget.
There is of course the DIY to reduce prices.

The g27-g27, T500RS, FANATEC in order to have a first contact.

If the "game" is very good, viewpoint "simulation", that is a good base in order to build on a good simulator, which can reach the price of a real small car.

The automobile has never been affordable pleasure.

Today you can get an idea of ​​what is racing in supers cars to "only" the price of a small car.

Or the price of tires, burned by a "cheap" w201 in ~80 hours of driving with friends / years.

It makes smile on the discussion of the price of "game", no? ^^

To see if you like the content maybe?
as good as the tech demo was,elise feels as heavy as a truck in there.
the same way in RF2 demo, vette is so snappy like there is nothing in the engibay to keep the wheels down.

So I can see why someone would like to try,But I do not think there is a way to implement that
because the game is not always online like Simraceway for example to have such a feature

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back